CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:52:39 AM   
J2K

quote:

ORIGINAL: deb293

quote:

The favorite authors might not be available in the Beta version yet.ORIGINAL: J2K

It is available.  You have 26 favorite authors. GrapeStories counts them for you quickly, whereas CT did not do this in your profile (although you could scroll through the community favorites pretty easily).

Yes, but can you view them on your own page?

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 91
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:54:37 AM   
deb293

It does!  That's how I got that number, 379.  It says "fingers is a fan."  Those are your favorite tasters.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 92
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:55:07 AM   
fingers

I think it would have been very helpful to have something like a READ ME file. It could have given some instruction as to how our features translate to the new site

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 93
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:56:22 AM   
deb293

Maybe...but did you at least find what you were looking for?

quote:

Yes, but can you view them on your own page? ORIGINAL:J2K
I believe only on your personal profile for now.

On another note, one thing very different about CT vs. GrapeStories is that after the "log in" our old home page felt more like it was ours (as in, "mostly about me".)  This new home page has Recommendations, News & Press, Insure My Collection (with a direct link to an insurer) and a host of other things, which after having logged in, may not be interesting to us.  This has less to do with the BETA issue, and more with the overall concept.  I feel like I'm being marketed to; that stuff used to be on the CT home page before the log in. Once you were past it, you were past it.

< Message edited by deb293 -- 2/28/2010 12:51:20 PM >

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 94
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 12:14:06 PM   
Khamen

I'm finding most of the features no problem. It just takes a little getting used to, and you need to remember it's a beta, not a production version.

My only real concern is the layot at the moment as I stated above. The large font/narrow column/wasted real estate format is no good at all for doing a quick cellar check. Hopefully Eric and the designers wil take on board the feedback and try a few things. For me personally it would be a fatal flaw and drive me back to Excel.

I certainly wouldn't transfer additional bottles or a larger cellar over into Grape Stories in its current format. Must be a nightmare for people with 400 or 500 different wines as it is!

For the record, on "my Cellar", "old" CT gives me a summary of 35 wines per screen in a horizontal format, including name, quantity, value, bottle size, drinking windows and region details. "New" GS gives me at most 11 wines per screen in a scrunched vertical format and no additional info. I can't use this for cellar management as I can't see the wines, even with only 108 or so loaded!

I know it's a beta and I'm sure the devlopment work continues apace. There's lots I like in GS (although I'll take a raincheck on the name, lol), but the actual layout is the killer at the moment.

Good luck Eric we're all rooting for you!

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 95
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 12:44:00 PM   
monotone

For me also, the narrow fixed width is what hurts GS. It makes most of the items (wines) wrap on 3,4, often 5 lines so the whole site feels cluttered although the core design and functionality are very good.

This self-imposed limitation seems to have cause design dilemmas that perhaps would not have appeared in the first place, such as not showing the region/subregion/appellation on the standard view (a great way to learn wine categorizing), but then not showing the details panel on the classic view.

When I log back in the old CT, I remember why we bought widescreen monitors in the first place. In fact, looking at sites I visit on a daily basis and I can't find many that have a fixed width except for shops and newspapers sites - a debatable approach that provides personality (nytimes, dell, blogs) at the cost of usability (wikipedia, amazon, most google sites, this discussion board).

Even though I dig the new votes and comments features, GS is above all a web application and I don't think it should try to look like MySpace.

GS has what it takes to be a fantastic site. Thanks for your hard work.

< Message edited by monotone -- 2/28/2010 12:53:25 PM >

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 96
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 12:48:21 PM   
wineismylife

Maybe I missed it but we can't publish tasting notes "yet"?

(in reply to monotone)
Post #: 97
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 1:06:39 PM   
dsGris

I will throw this out there for thought.  I use on a daily basis a design/production software for my business.  This is a production tool for many and goes through a new architecture yearly or so with many builds during the year to clear up bugs, glitches, etc.  Many who have extensive user created standards run their old systems years before the newer ones are implemented as they are used to control CNC machines.  After about 5 years, support is usually phased out.  This is a purchased software, not a website like CT . 
While I use CT as a tool, for me it is really a toy.  It does not make me money, just costs me money.  I'm sure there are those that manage cellars for business and the management tool is very important.
The point of the post is that this company uses their forum extensively for comment on the various applications to post and fix bugs and solicit comments for future improvements.  There also are forums for non software issues; general questions, comments, etc.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 2/28/2010 1:16:09 PM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to monotone)
Post #: 98
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 3:45:34 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

No, you can use the Drink or Remove a bottle which is right under the My Cellar Sub-header in the Right hand pane when you are on a wine. I started to play with the TN assistant that helps with descriptors, etc. last night.

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 2/28/2010 3:46:27 PM >

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 99
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 4:00:55 PM   
wineismylife

I figured out how to drink and also post a tasting note.  What I can't figure out is how to publish that note to various online fora.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 100
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 4:17:14 PM   
BobMilton

JoeD,
   I did several tasting notes before I noticed that the like it / don't like it was mandatory - and they all stuck. Seems it really isn't required at all!

< Message edited by BobMilton -- 2/28/2010 4:18:56 PM >

(in reply to JoeD)
Post #: 101
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 4:36:20 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: deb293

I have one wine, '97 Solaia, that had a purchase price in CT (still there) that didn't migrate to GrapeStories.  Moreover, I can not get the price to stick when I try to edit the single bottle information.

Fixed. And the price was not there in CellarTracker either.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 102
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 4:41:40 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgibbard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khamen

3. I think it would be more useful to have the wine names hyper-linked, rather than having to click on it then the "more" button

+1

Click the CLASSIC MODE toggle then.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to bgibbard)
Post #: 103
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 4:44:17 PM   
Eric

quote:

I love the ability to add a food match tag, but curently this seems to be limited to one match only. Obviously many win have multiple food matches. Any plans on allowing to add more than one type of food for a single wine?

K

It's a comma separated list. Add as many as you would like. The popup dialog even says:

Enter the names of foods that you think this wine goes best with. Separate each food by a comma, for example "Roast Duck, Poultry, Vegetables"

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 104
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 4:54:27 PM   
J2K

where is classic mode toggle?

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 105
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 4:58:58 PM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: J2K

Upper right My Cellar, wines.

I need 3 screens to remember what I am doing.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 2/28/2010 5:07:08 PM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 106
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 5:00:36 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

I think it would have been very helpful to have something like a READ ME file. It could have given some instruction as to how our features translate to the new site

Most people haevn;t even read the 1-paeg letter that I posted. If I put together a ready that was 5 or 10 or 50 pages would anyone read it?

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 107
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 5:03:15 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Yes. you can. In your note view click the BULK EDIT button. Then the option to publish is on the actions menu.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 108
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 5:09:37 PM   
J2K

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

quote:

Okay, I knew the icon and I've been using it, just didn't know it was called "classic mode".

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 109
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 5:14:15 PM   
dsGris

It took me a while to find it.  When I did, it only seemed to eliminate the distracting right side panel.  I was hoping for the classic display.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 110
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 5:24:06 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

quote:

Most people haevn;t even read the 1-paeg letter that I posted. If I put together a ready that was 5 or 10 or 50 pages would anyone read it?

And what letter would that be? When I click on the "Beta of new Cellartracker is Live (click for more info)" it just takes me to Grape Stories. I suppose you're talking about the "Special Announcement" page, which is fine but doesn't offer any advice about how the old translates and relates to new.

I am not rallied against the new site. I'm offering suggestions, as suggested

Eric, it doesn't take a shmuck like me to realize the only solution is to continue the availabilty of the old format along with the new. I hope you'll reconsider your sunset plan.
I like many of the new things, too. I almost wish Grape Stories was like the "motherpage" and when you wanted to get into intensive cellar and Tasting Note reports, it took you "down" to the old CT. In my perfect world, I would absolutely use both interfaces for doing different sorts of tasks.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 111
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 5:28:46 PM   
GraemeG

quote:

For the record, on "my Cellar", "old" CT gives me a summary of 35 wines per screen in a horizontal format, including name, quantity, value, bottle size, drinking windows and region details. "New" GS gives me at most 11 wines per screen in a scrunched vertical format and no additional info. I can't use this for cellar management as I can't see the wines, even with only 108 or so loaded!

This is the problem that arises when 'designers' are really just decorators. They say 'this looks much cleaner, tidier, more sexy, modern' whatever. And then you reply - yes, but it doesn't work as well as the old one, and you struggle to make them understand that. Decorators trade off utility for aesthetics. For some things I might do that. Not for computer software, however.
Some things are just a matter of getting used to something different, but others are changes that are fatally flawed. It's critical to understand which are which...
cheers,
Graeme

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 112
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 5:49:23 PM   
petitblanc

I think the "Page Display Settings" could become a powerful customizing tool. Right now there are only two choices (Wine Summary and Individual Bottle), but adding more such as "Omit Wine Locale" etc., or adding a customizable checklist of which info to include/exclude, might allow the greater information density per screen that some users seem to be wanting. Or not -- I haven't written a line of code for 20 years, just thinking out loud...

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 113
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 10:59:28 PM   
Maestro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, I knew the icon and I've been using it, just didn't know it was called "classic mode".

At the moment my main disappointment with GS is that the "classic" view is not "classic" enough.

The old Wine List in CT is a lot more powerful than the equivalent view in GS, even with the Classic Option on.

For example, I cannot sort independently by "Drinking Window Starting" and "Drinking Window Ending", and I cannot use the powerful "Summarize by" functions of CT.

If the "Classic View" were truly Classic, I think most people -- like me -- would stop complaining as much as we are now.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 114
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:06:34 PM   
NiklasW

You got it there Maestro! Those two links were the perfect comparison side by side. But you can use all the Summarize functions from CT in GS, just switch to the Summary-view (third icon at the top left under Advanced Search).

(in reply to Maestro)
Post #: 115
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 2/28/2010 11:37:33 PM   
burgundyman

Where the fellswoop UI designers users of CT prior to getting the brief ?

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 116
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 12:20:24 AM   
dsGris

quote:

quote:

quote:

And what letter would that be? When I click on the "Beta of new Cellartracker is Live (click for more info)" it just takes me to Grape Stories. I suppose you're talking about the "Special Announcement" page, which is fine but doesn't offer any advice about how the old translates and relates to new.

Eric, it doesn't take a shmuck like me to realize the only solution is to continue the availabilty of the old format along with the new. I hope you'll reconsider your sunset plan.
I like many of the new things, too. I almost wish Grape Stories was like the "motherpage" and when you wanted to get into intensive cellar and Tasting Note reports, it took you "down" to the old CT. In my perfect world, I would absolutely use both interfaces for doing different sorts of tasks.

I am pretty much with you on this one. CT could be updated to have all the new functionality in the old familiar format. Those that like the new format can start with it. Classic in my mind means the old formula. Remember Coke.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 3/1/2010 12:21:54 AM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 117
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 8:26:22 AM   
ob2s

Eric: So once you go forward with the new interface ~july, there is a new db schema that the old interface is incompatible with ?
  • 2002 Weingut Paulinshof Brauneberger Kammer Riesling Spätlese halbtrocken - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/16/2010)
    Maybe getting past the cusp of its peak. Still exhibits all the great Mosel elements, maybe finisihing a bit short (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com  - just testing

< Message edited by ob2s -- 3/2/2010 12:09:43 PM >

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to dsGris)
  • Post #: 118
    RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 9:43:48 AM   
    Blue Shorts

Agree +1

I prefer the older interface to the new one..... more info on the page at once.

Maybe I'm just a dummie and haven't figured out how to use the new interface. At least I hope that's the case. Otherwise, I'm REALLY going to miss the old interface.

(in reply to Maestro)
    Post #: 119
    RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 9:52:34 AM   
    pbm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am pretty much with you on this one. CT could be updated to have all the new functionality in the old familiar format. Those that like the new format can start with it. Classic in my mind means the old formula. Remember Coke.

+1

PBM
    The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to dsGris)
    Post #: 120
    Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI