CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 9:59:38 AM   
NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

Eric: So once you go forward with the new interface ~july, there is a new db schema that the old interface is incompatible with ?

I guess Eric could leave the old interface for us to use, but I am sure it would fall into disrepair quite quickly as the new interface is developed and the db with it. I am sure he doesn't have the time to keep two interfaces up-to-date simultaneously!

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 121
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 11:09:17 AM   
petitblanc

I'm assuming the views, including the Home page, will be made increasingly customizable as the site moves through beta, which should solve a lot of the concerns. Am I right, Eric?

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 122
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 1:20:28 PM   
esb

Great beta with lots of new power for all the diverse users. Initially it was the tasting notes that provided motivation for me to return to CT, investigate further, and eventually become a happy, paying customer. The classic view gives me what I want (my selfish needs - less white space in the first three columns and less stacking - Eric got that message) but more importantly I’m wondering if the same info. that hooked me is less provocative and harder to find in GS and therefore less likely to hook a new customer.

Edit: Oh, brother. Clean up my latest incoherent post.

< Message edited by esb -- 3/2/2010 7:14:10 AM >

"Wine is the pleasantest subject in the world to discuss. All its associations are with occasions when people are at their best: with relaxation, contentment, leisurely meals and the free flow of ideas." Ronald Avery

(in reply to petitblanc)
Post #: 123
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 3:00:31 PM   
gbm

You know, I've been trying to remain positive and give the new UI a chance, but I am slowly losing hope.  Where I would normally have been on and off the site about ten time today, I only checked it once.  I won't use the old UI, even though it's available, because I know it's going away.

I think my main problem is the list of wines in my cellar.  It has become more difficult to scan through even though it actually contains LESS information.  Most of this seems to be layout related.  For instance, on the old UI the name of the wine always fit on one line and the locale was below it - subtly differentiating it from the bolded name of the wine below.  The current UI forces most wine names onto two lines and the locale is gone!  (EDIT: Found the locale, but it still takes up too much room.  Why is there so much space around the glass at the left and in between columns?)

I understand that the changes will appeal to the mass of users searching the site for reviews, but I think the core of users that really dig deep into their collections have lost a lot.  Although functionality may be stable or even better, ease of use has dropped significantly.

I know it's a beta and I know more changes are coming.  I just hope I'm still using the site by then. 

< Message edited by gbm -- 3/1/2010 3:05:56 PM >

Greg

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 124
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 3:12:52 PM   
pbm

I just don't like it yet but I'm willing to admit that I just may need to give it time. Ironically my main complaint is that GS is less user-friendly to me than CT. The pages are disjointed with no logical flow to where your eye goes. Yes, they're prettier but the redesign makes information harder to find. There is a waaaaaaaay too much more clicking and scrolling from what I can tell. Maybe it's because there's just a ton of wasted white space. I used to do a lot of lay-out work for newspapers and still create a fair amount of marketing materials and presentations so I understand the value of white-space but this is too much. I'm trying to separate this from the functionality issues which I know Eric will have addressed in the final version.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 125
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 3:48:44 PM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm

You know, I've been trying to remain positive and give the new UI a chance, but I am slowly losing hope.  Where I would normally have been on and off the site about ten time today, I only checked it once.  I won't use the old UI, even though it's available, because I know it's going away.

I think my main problem is the list of wines in my cellar.  It has become more difficult to scan through even though it actually contains LESS information.  Most of this seems to be layout related.  For instance, on the old UI the name of the wine always fit on one line and the locale was below it - subtly differentiating it from the bolded name of the wine below.  The current UI forces most wine names onto two lines and the locale is gone!

I understand that the changes will appeal to the mass of users searching the site for reviews, but I think the core of users that really dig deep into their collections have lost a lot.  Although functionality may be stable or even better, ease of use has dropped significantly.

I know it's a beta and I know more changes are coming.  I just hope I'm still using the site by then. 

I hope this whole process doesn't kill Secret Santa for next year...

gbm...i've got to say ditto.

Here's the deal from my perspective so far and i fully understand the non-production/beta disclaimer. The ergonimics (that's really how i look at it...because i'm like gbm...i'm in the cellar a lot) have taken a huge utilitarian hit. I have no doubt that the underpinnings of all the data remains and is probably vastly improved. However, I think the tenor of the presenation has missed the mark for me.

Right, wrong or indifferent...the original design established a standard for cellar management...not just the data that was captured but also how the "rats" (i.e. you know you are) like to use it. CellarTracker was heavily driven (not exclusively and i won't suggest it) by the real "rats" of the world. My embrace of CellarTracker was first and foremost as a Cellar Management tool. The structure and approach of CT in fact DEFINED my approach and views on cellar management. Notes and Forums and other stuff came second for me. Clearly in a beta stage one can't render final judgement but i'm concerned that the theme that is driving the layout and user experience for Grape Stories has been elevated far above above Cellar Management.

As it is right now, I would be very disappointed if this version represented THE definitive look and even final direction of Grape Stories (ugh...i'm sorry but the brand name is just too cute by half...the wonderful thing about CT is that it said what it did and it did what it said...GS?...i don't think it has sustainability...too forumesque....too 'now'...have a hard time envisioning a long life span of the name).

...and yes to all that want to remind me how hard Eric is working and how i should be patient and it's just a beta and yada yada yada...i get it. I didn't just fall of the truck no matter how "glass half full" and optimistic i live my life. I kind of decided to just say what's on my mind expecting that Eric will respect the feedback during what is by it's very definition a period designed to elicit feedback: the good, the bad and the ugly (and i'm not just talking about my wife, star wars prequels and my wardrobe) The current iteration makes me think that the firm that Eric hired for any UI did him a significant disservice.

I'm not even going to try to give feature feedback as i really don't think there is much of an issue with what Eric is trying to add or even create. The problem for me is that i think that CT may be taking a fork in the road that will leave me and others thinking it's headed in direction where it will feel...much less than...and while pretty...fairly Klugey from a use case standpoint.

I'm a real fan...CT is a default tab for my browser and I am hopeful that once this beta period is over that the vast majority of us will agree that this is an "upgrade" for us and not just a market expansion exercise. The brand shift and entire experience feels like an entirely different universe that is more than just something new and possibly an entirely different direction that sunsets a product that has a core constituency.

But evey business person worth his salt craves feedback for their product and service which is why i strongly encourage Eric to seek out the most vocal critics of this endeavor. You can't pay for their feedback as it's source is driven by a passionate embrace of CT, self focussed need and insight full of real expertise or at least years of "use" expertise with CT.

My rant and a quarter however, just might by you a cup of coffee...

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 126
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 3:51:44 PM   
petitblanc

When viewing an individual wine, I wish I could choose to hide some of the stuff in the left and right columns ("Similar Popular Wines", "Food pairings", etc.). I miss the "view other vintages of this wine" links, but I assume that feature will eventually return in some form (if even just a box in which I can enter the vintage then click).

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 127
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 4:15:44 PM   
dbp

gbm, pbm (wait... what?), and YoDaddyO really nailed all the issues for me as well. Thanks guys. The data is all still there, and I for one was actually really looking forward to the social aspects of the site. It's just the UI that's very difficult to live in. Like gbm, I too am trying to refuse to use the old site because I know it's going away. And as I said initially, I love going to cellartracker and sorting my cellar in all kinds of funny ways. I just love looking at the data. But I too just haven't been visiting the site as often the last few days, because the interface just isn't enjoyable to look at. I don't get the pleasure I used to get out of poking around cellartracker. It's not intuitive and hard to really see everything as a whole.

I am actually much LESS concerned about the bugs and the features not yet implemented, but still think they should be pointed out. I know those will be fixed. I just worry if the fundamental design of the site is going away from what all of us primarily use it for (hence my original subject of this thread). I understand Eric trying to capture the greater market, I just hope he doesn't alienate it's core in the process.

We can always wait for My Wines on ebob though, right?! ;-) Yes, cellartracker is the only game in town, and I've always thought that was a GOOD thing. I don't want this market fragmented and have always wished the folks trying to compete would just go away. But if this is the direction, I don't know... But again, I am very hopeful these issues are addressed. I wouldn't be posting here if I wasn't hopeful. So thanks again Eric for all the work that you've done, and also for all the work that's ahead! 

David

(in reply to petitblanc)
Post #: 128
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 4:39:41 PM   
sossher

I agree that this is going to take some getting used to.

On a positive note, Eric mentioned in another thread how much quicker it is to add a mixed case on the new version of the site. I have to agree. I just purchased 9 bottles (4 different wines) from the same producer, and it took a lot less time to enter. I still checked my pending deliveries afterward to make sure it all worked (and it did of course) - I just don't feel 100% comfortable with the new interface yet.

Steve

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 129
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 4:58:59 PM   
pbm

Just read through the exchanges between Eric and posters over at Wine-Berskers that cover a lot of the points we're raising here. You may want to take a look:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18637&start=150

Seems like a general consensus is forming on the white space and number of clicks required issues and Eric is listening -- not surprising of course.

PBM

(in reply to sossher)
Post #: 130
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 5:37:40 PM   
Phantomind

Ok, I have to ask now... Where do we post and read for GS issues, questions, etc? I thought it was this forum. But Eric has not posted anything I have found today, but there is another forum where he has. I am having a hard enough time keeping up with this forum, let alone others.

Raul

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 131
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 5:43:15 PM   
pbm

Yeah I thought it was a bit strange but given what he's going through right now I'm sure he's just responding where and when he can. He posts over there frequently.

PBM

(in reply to Phantomind)
Post #: 132
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 5:54:02 PM   
Phantomind

Yah, I guess that you can't blame him for getting away from us for a moment...

Raul

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 133
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 6:27:33 PM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: dbp

gbm, pbm (wait... what?), and YoDaddyO really nailed all the issues for me as well. Thanks guys. The data is all still there, and I for one was actually really looking forward to the social aspects of the site. It's just the UI that's very difficult to live in. Like gbm, I too am trying to refuse to use the old site because I know it's going away. And as I said initially, I love going to cellartracker and sorting my cellar in all kinds of funny ways. I just love looking at the data. But I too just haven't been visiting the site as often the last few days, because the interface just isn't enjoyable to look at. I don't get the pleasure I used to get out of poking around cellartracker. It's not intuitive and hard to really see everything as a whole.

I am actually much LESS concerned about the bugs and the features not yet implemented, but still think they should be pointed out. I know those will be fixed. I just worry if the fundamental design of the site is going away from what all of us primarily use it for (hence my original subject of this thread). I understand Eric trying to capture the greater market, I just hope he doesn't alienate it's core in the process.

So thanks again Eric for all the work that you've done, and also for all the work that's ahead! 

David

I have only been using CT for 6 months, so I do not have the time investment and familiarity many others do, but the cozy factor is very important both in the cellar and on the screen. 
Like a good friend leaving town for another job, marraige or whatever, you will visit on occasion, but the good buddy factor will be gone. 
The up side is I will get on to other tasks, buy less wine and spend less money.
Dennis 

< Message edited by dsGris -- 3/1/2010 6:28:39 PM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 134
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 7:02:47 PM   
rwilk_2000

After getting scared to the pajesus out of me by everyone, I finally decided to venture over to the new interface. I just gave it the five minute test and I definently think the beta is not quite as intuitive as the old version. It took me some time to find the right buttons. I struggled to find "my cellar" right off the bat and I thought that was the main purpose of the site. After punching around for a few minutes, I finally got the hang of it. I found most of my normal page haunts, especially after shifting the look to the classic view. One thing I liked right off the bat is the wine button top left which lets you quickly sort your cellar in many different ways.

My initial toughts are it has potential, not giving up yet. I assume it will get a little faster down the road. I have hope!!!

Thanks for the hardwork Eric. I know that you will take the constructive criticism from the gang in the manner intended.

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 135
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 7:37:16 PM   
ColoradoRick

Thank you, Jesus.  After being shouted down for daring to question the new UI, it seems that others may share my apprehension.  Seriously, is anyone even slightly concerned about someone claiming to be (TH) Lawrence of Arabia who talks about his “people?”  [LOL - Colonel Lawrence, there is always a place at our table for you if you ever escape from of Arabia.] Anyway, I love Eric.  I love Cellar Tracker.  I have turned on innumerable fellow geeks to Cellar Tracker.  However, it is not an act of treason to question whether Grape Talk (oh my, that name again) serves my purpose.  And darn it, in the world of social media, my opinion is as valid as anyone else.  Clearly, I am not charming.  I am not seeking online friends.  What I want/need is a simple inventory management that works at least as well as CT. Eric, if you want to build a social portal, great.  Just don’t screw up a good thing.  Okay? That’s all I ask.  Seems pretty simple. 

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 136
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 8:10:29 PM   
deb293

quote:

Eric, if you want to build a social portal, great. Just don’t screw up a good thing. Okay? That’s all I ask. Seems pretty simple. ORIGINAL: ColoradoRick

I have been a member of CT since 2005.  Not once since then have I considered looking into an alternative cellar management program.  Until now.

(in reply to ColoradoRick)
Post #: 137
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 10:58:56 PM   
Colonel Lawrence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Lawrence

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColoradoRick

So fellow geeks: What other software is out there that manages cellar inventory well and good?  I’m seeking something simple that avoids the Microsoft pattern of bloat and the perpetual need for increased resources.   Has anyone shopped for wine software lately?    If so, what looks interesting? 

You're asking the wrong people.
L.

You seemed to misunderstand my point, which was that those who know about alternative cellar management tools would be using them (not those using CT).
And don't worry I don't have a Messiah complex, in spite of the name and being in the Middle East.
ON CT you don't have to follow anyone, you can have any opinion you want, and disagreements are generally handled in a very civilised way.
I have no doubt that will continue.
L.

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 138
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 11:13:25 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: dbp

...  Like gbm, I too am trying to refuse to use the old site because I know it's going away. And..., I love going to cellartracker and sorting my cellar in all kinds of funny ways. I just love looking at the data. But I too just haven't been visiting the site as often the last few days, because the interface just isn't enjoyable to look at. I don't get the pleasure I used to get out of poking around cellartracker. It's not intuitive and hard to really see everything as a whole.

I couldn't have said it better myself (with a little extra emm fass us on the emboldened and underline parts)

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 139
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 11:27:11 PM   
phlin

I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to receive pending deliveries. It was not intuitive at all and after several failed attempts, I ended up going back to CT to do it, which ended up taking all of 10 seconds. Not really happy with GS at the moment ...

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 140
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/1/2010 11:36:55 PM   
NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbm

Just read through the exchanges between Eric and posters over at Wine-Berskers that cover a lot of the points we're raising here. You may want to take a look:

Seems like a general consensus is forming on the white space and number of clicks required issues and Eric is listening -- not surprising of course.

Thanks pbm for posting that link, seems the data density problem has been taken seriously and is being fixed at the moment. Gotta say after a couple of days of using only GS (GS sounds better than GrapeStories!), I am getting used to it. If that white space problem is taken care of, then I think I'll get the hang of it. Classic view is doing a lot to make it a more enjoyable experience, and it sticks so I don't have to repeat any clicking.

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 141
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/2/2010 12:17:19 AM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbm

Thanks pbm for posting that link, seems the data density problem has been taken seriously and is being fixed at the moment. Gotta say after a couple of days of using only GS (GS sounds better than GrapeStories!), I am getting used to it. If that white space problem is taken care of, then I think I'll get the hang of it. Classic view is doing a lot to make it a more enjoyable experience, and it sticks so I don't have to repeat any clicking.

I now spend about half the time over there. It's a little less civil but just as much fun. They have a "stir the pot" smiley for us "Dennis the Menace" types. There is a big cross over of users.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 142
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/2/2010 6:08:06 AM   
gbm

Totally agree.  I think resolving the white space issue would go a long way to making the UI more user friendly.

Greg

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 143
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/2/2010 6:54:04 AM   
Khamen

quote:

original : gbm

I think resolving the white space issue would go a long way to making the UI more user friendly.

This has been a common comment and Eric has noted it (at least 6 times that I can see!).

The more I play with it the more I like it, but the dead/unused space on the screen totally destroys the core functionality for me personally

K

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 144
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/2/2010 6:55:38 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

Totally agree.  I think resolving the white space issue would go a long way to making the UI more user friendly.

It will be interesting to monitor the changes in the coming (weeks?months?)...i'm very curious as to how Eric will handle the two dominant themes (that seem somewhat related)

1. The use of "screen" real estate
2. Is Cellar Management taking too much of a back seat or not

I suspect that item #2 is a red herring as i find it hard to believe that Eric has set aside his hard core cellar management roots. Having managed software design and dev, my initial view (definately subjective) is that the pendulum of design and form overwhelmed function over the course of the process. This really isn't an issue of missing features...features are "relatively" easy...in fact there is much in the new version that is a significant improvement from a feature standpoint. The best case study for form and function however is the Edsel...when that car was introduced it was by far the most advanced production car ever of it's time. It incorporated many of the best advances of its time and was loaded with category killer features...unfortunately, it failed due to being incorrectly packaged / marketed ...that is Ford didn't build a bad car, they just completely missed the mark on the market for the car. (more of a story to make a point rather than debate the merits of the Edsel...and no...i'm not calling GS and Edsel...just describing development/production/demand risk)

There is a balancing act with new versions that drives change...change for change sake is a debateable pursuit...best case scenario, when you deliver the final product, your current customer base embraces "in mass" and continues to evangelize while new customers are drawn into the change. worse case scenario...existing customer base is replaced by new customer base (granted this might only be an existing customer perspective)

Final comment about GS as it is...i think that all the features that we would want are or will be there upon completion with vast improvement over today when it comes to the cellar management experience. I suspect that i will bookmark and structure settings to emphasize my use for cellar mgmt and over some time frame will be drawn into a broader interaction. For example...assuming real estate issues and "text crispness" issues are addressed...i have bookmarked my cellar and keep the "Narrow Results" box open...this takes what was initially a report feature and reclassifies it to what it really is which is a sifting/filtering feature...fabulous.

On a separate note...i have only posted occasionally over at WB and lurk more there. I don't dislike it over there...i just have an affinity for this forum as there is a dominant common thread...CT...it's like we all belong to the same car club and hang out in front of the Whataburger on Saturday night with our hoods up talking about what we did to trick out our cars last week or whatever...

WB is kind of a Wild West of Wine...adventurous and fun but i'm not sure what the relational hook is for me yet.

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 145
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/2/2010 7:10:24 AM   
Maestro

I think Eric will iron out most of the UI issues we are screaming about now and we will eventually be happy as far as that goes.

My only hope is that it will be easy to turn off and ignore all Social Media-like features, as I detest all of that. I would have hoped for CT to have invested into further integration with Twitter and Facebook for those who like that kind of stuff, so that CT itself would be mercifully free of things like "blogs", "comments", "fans", and "friends".

As the site is now re-branded "Grape Stories", it is obvious that I won't get my wish, so my hope is that the social stuff can be ignored or turned off (that was the first thing I did when I went into GS -- turned off everything I could in my profile settings that had anything to do with social media).

If the social media gets on the way of cellar management, then it will be a true pity.

/M.

PS: you need not point out that posting in a discussion forum about one's distaste for social media represents an intrinsic contradiction of behavior. I know that and I currently live with the dichotomy because I slowly allowed myself to become part of this forum here. But what I always liked was the total separation of the forum from CT itself, and that is about to go bye bye...

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 146
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/2/2010 7:18:26 AM   
pbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maestro

I think Eric will iron out most of the UI issues we are screaming about now and we will eventually be happy as far as that goes.

My only hope is that it will be easy to turn off and ignore all Social Media-like features, as I detest all of that. I would have hoped for CT to have invested into further integration with Twitter and Facebook for those who like that kind of stuff, so that CT itself would be mercifully free of things like "blogs", "comments", "fans", and "friends".

As the site is now re-branded "Grape Stories", it is obvious that I won't get my wish, so my hope is that the social stuff can be ignored or turned off (that was the first thing I did when I went into GS -- turned off everything I could in my profile settings that had anything to do with social media).

If the social media gets on the way of cellar management, then it will be a true pity.

/M.

PS: you need not point out that posting in a discussion forum about one's distaste for social media represents an intrinsic contradiction of behavior. I know that and I currently live with the dichotomy because I slowly allowed myself to become part of this forum here. But what I always liked was the total separation of the forum from CT itself, and that is about to go bye bye...

Completely understand and agree.

PBM

(in reply to Maestro)
Post #: 147
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/2/2010 7:19:22 AM   
gbm

I have had it.  I am clearly not a good beta tester.  I've spent somewhere between six and twelve hours on GS and it is becoming a chore.  Looking through my cellar and organizing it should not be work and that is what it has become.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it out and I really appreciate that Eric is taking all the feedback constructively, but I am reverting to the old UI.  I will follow the forum for updates and issues and maybe when my interest is piqued I'll take a stab at the new UI again. 

Otherwise, somebody please tell me when the layout is more akin to CT.

Greg

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 148
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/2/2010 7:27:31 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

I have had it.  I am clearly not a good beta tester.  I've spent somewhere between six and twelve hours on GS and it is becoming a chore.  Looking through my cellar and organizing it should not be work and that is what it has become.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it out and I really appreciate that Eric is taking all the feedback constructively, but I am reverting to the old UI.  I will follow the forum for updates and issues and maybe when my interest is piqued I'll take a stab at the new UI again. 

Otherwise, somebody please tell me when the layout is more akin to CT.

Perfectly reasonable...it is still a work in progress after all...I recommend another bottle of that Lagier Meredith...so soothing.

DaddyO

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 149
RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... - 3/2/2010 7:54:39 AM   
iByron

Standard view (new way) for lists.

Classic view (old way) for individual wines.

That's what works best for me.

So far.

I'm still exploring. Some of the initial defaults I don't like, but once I figure my way around them (and as Eric notes, most of them stick) the site works more and more like I want it to.

One thing that doesn't seem to stick is the search default. Right now anyway I want to search my wines and compare them to the old CT. The default search is (all) "Wines."

To search just my own stuff, I have to select the drop down menu. This is how it was in the old CT, but in GS "My Cellar" is all the way at the other end of the list. That's a problem for carpal-tunnel-addled me: more wrist movement in a small space.

Depending on what I do in the interim, the search may stay with "My Cellar" or it may go back to "Wines" (meaning I have to go back and reset). I can't find a default setting for this, so I assume it's not there. Searching all "Wines" doesn't yield an opportunity to limit to My Cellar after the fact (as can be done in CT).

I think search should at least stick throughout my session until I change it. Ideally, it would stick with my profile until I change it again (as the views do currently).

Other than that, I'm enjoying exploring the update. I'm sure I'll find other things to like and dislike. That's what public betas are for.

Byron

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Oh GrapeStories... how you make me weep... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI