CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, do you log it into your CT Cellar?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, do you log it into your CT Cellar? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
[Poll]

Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, do you log it into your CT Cellar?

Absolutely - if it's in my house, it's in my CT Cellar!
  66% (40)
No chance! I don't want anyone knowing I have that in my house!
  33% (20)

Total Votes : 60

(last vote on : 10/8/2020 10:18:56 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/23/2011 12:14:54 AM   
darren81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khamen

I have a plonk detector at the front door. It automatically picks up vinous nastiness, destroys the bottle and gives the offending phillistine the mother of all wedgies.

Doesn't always work tho...

K

Damn I need me one of those... where'd u get it?

Only problem is that it would only be a matter of time before it gives my Dad the wedgie

I'll go with http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=791820
Sort by CT and go for the lowest. Heh.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 31
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/23/2011 12:22:08 AM   
kidsmurf2000

I try to put everything in CT, but sometimes I miss a cheap bottle or two out of laziness than anything else.... Certainly don't try to impress anyone.

(in reply to knuckles1970)
Post #: 32
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/23/2011 1:33:16 AM   
Bryan Collins

The vanity point is rather strange. It's never really occured to me that anyone else would want to dig through my holdings and see what I've got - and that's certainly not something I've ever felt the urge to do with anyone else's cellar. In fact, I think the only time I ever looked at someone else's cellar was to work out what to send as part of the CT secret santa thing.

(in reply to kidsmurf2000)
Post #: 33
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/23/2011 2:32:48 AM   
RobRah

I don't put it into CT when I receive it. It sits in a rack until I know what to do with it:

- It might get brought out again as "plonk" at the kind of party when everyone has finished anything any good at 11pm and everyone's too drunk to know what they are drinking, in which case any notes would be meaningless too.
- It might get cooked with.
- It might end up being drunk more or less sensibly with a meal, just for the hell of it... in which case I might then add a CT tasting note, if it ended up being a wine I was surprised to enjoy and might consider rebuying (my Casillero del Diablo notes came from that route). If it was just as plonkish as I expected it to be, it will probably get recorked and put in the fridge to await the cookpot as well.

I have a bottle of 6-year old Black Tower which I really don't know what to do with. Too sweet to cook with. Too nasty to drink. No doubt lost its fruit by now too. Maybe some kind of marinade for oriental food some time.

My CT Profile

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 34
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/23/2011 2:41:38 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

I record into CT the wines that I am "cellaring" (i.e. I'm keeping to drink in the future, with some hope they will have improved).
I record no white wines and no odd bottles that I expect to consume in the near future.
If I go to the supermarket and buy a mix case of 12 (and get the 5% discount) I do not record it.
The only exception is if I wish to record a specific tasting note.
L.

(in reply to RobRah)
Post #: 35
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/23/2011 2:45:10 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

One additional category:
I have recorded large quantities of reds that I bought cheap e.g. 10 cases of 2003 Bibi Graetz Casamatta Toscana IGT that I bought dirt cheap (approx.$5). It probably wasn't a good idea, but that's another story.
L.

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 36
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/23/2011 5:25:46 AM   
musedir

Always exceptions... A friend knowing of our love of Rhones felt it was his duty to bring us a host gift of a bottle of '08 Goats do Roam.... I must confess it sits in my counter rack more as a novelty and is not recorded. Just love the humor. Also, 12 bottles of wine (one from each of the SE states) were a gift when I stepped down as President of the Southeastern Museums Conference, which have never been recorded and will never be opened ( all extreme plonk with equally extreme colors given lovingly).

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 37
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/23/2011 8:14:13 PM   
dsGris

I actually discovered 4 bottles my wife brought home when she and friend sold the furnishings of a restaurant some time ago. 2 white Zins, a Gallo Riesling, and a Black Tower. There's another Pinot Grigio from TJs in the down stairs fridge, she bought. The next time she complains about the wines I buy her, I will bring up these from which to choose.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 38
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/24/2011 6:16:44 AM   
recotte

quote:

The next time she complains about the wines I buy her, I will bring up these from which to choose.

This is a strategy to remember!

As for my guess on the poll-inspiring plonk, I'll go with two:

The already noted Georges Dubœuf Beaujolais Nouveau and the N.V. Barboursville Vineyards Cabernet Blanc.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 39
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/24/2011 2:45:08 PM   
grayfont

Sorry I had to go underground for a few days... I'm sure you were all holding your breath waiting for the big reveal!

The first two guesses nailed it - Bogle Merlot and Georges Deboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau.  But there were plenty of other guesses as well, which means you all proved what I suspected - plonk is in the eye of the beholder!  And, yes, I am the proud purchaser of all of the other bottles guessed

In retrospect I see that the word vanity in my thread/poll title was something of a lightning rod, which I never intended.  I was really poking fun at myself for the fact that I hesitated to log in these bottles for fear of next year's CT Secret Santa seeing them...  (BTW, Tourette, thanks for not sending me either of those two bottles!)  Nothing more than that intended.  Thanks to all for the fun back-and-forth on this!

Gray

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 40
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/25/2011 7:08:55 AM   
IWineAlot

Daily drinkers fall into this same category of not being tracked in CellarTracker. I figure what's the point of putting it in when it's just going to be drunk in a few days anyways. I only track non-daily drinkers that are in my offsite storage.

Steve AKA "Topic Reviver"

See_Swirl_Smell_Savor_Spit/Swallow_Say Again

"Do what you want...But I'm drinking"

(in reply to knuckles1970)
Post #: 41
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/25/2011 7:37:38 AM   
mrj300

I don't log the plonk - not out of vanity but just why bother (as others have said). It's hard enough to remember to log the good stuff. I have a "special" rack in the cellar for the plonk. This is where I tell the parents-in-law to browse for the really good stuff since it's a special occasion whenever they visit.

- Mike

(in reply to IWineAlot)
Post #: 42
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/25/2011 11:06:30 AM   
grayfont

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrj300

I don't log the plonk - not out of vanity but just why bother (as others have said). It's hard enough to remember to log the good stuff. I have a "special" rack in the cellar for the plonk. This is where I tell the parents-in-law to browse for the really good stuff since it's a special occasion whenever they visit.

Awesome.

P.S. Hooray!  I graduated to Senior Tracker!

(in reply to mrj300)
Post #: 43
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/25/2011 2:21:02 PM   
BobMilton

Only 150 more posts and you get to be a Senior Tracker!

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 44
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/25/2011 3:14:37 PM   
drycab

I think I'll move to Mexico and become Señor Tracker!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 45
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/25/2011 7:45:33 PM   
Decan it

I am the only wine geak amongst my friends so plonk is generally all I get brought to the house.  I guess with a cellar with under 300 bottles, it easier to know what is in the house both in my wine cabinet or in my "everyday cabinet". Judging from the comments on other forums, it looks to me that not much plonk gets trhuogh the front door.  I am just new to CT but I certainly have wine envy!    And I still dont let the Yellow Tail in, go figure.

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 46
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/26/2011 9:06:19 AM   
que syrah syrah

I log everthing into CT, plonk and all. I actually end up tasting pretty much all of it too. Often times it gets poured down the drain but it definitely helps me appreciate the better wines and helps me to continue learning more about wines.

grayfont, when I followed your link to your cellar I immediately realized you were either in or near VA from your Afton Mountain, Barboursville and King Family holdings. And this would have been my vote: 2008 Afton Mountain Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon.

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 47
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/26/2011 4:32:20 PM   
Grenik

I log everything...well almost. I have some bottles that I buy as souvenirs when we travel. They sit around the house, on the bar, etc as decorations. Occasionally I get the energy to dump the contents, refill the bottle, and recork. But these are the only bottles that I do not track in CT.

I always add an "undesirable" to my blind wine tastings. It keeps everyone honest and many times it is much better than you think when tasted blind.

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 48
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/26/2011 5:24:44 PM   
Jack667

Hah!!
I got one of these same bottles at my holiday party last month. I logged it, and confirmed my suspicion when io pulled up the link and it said I had one in inventory. This year, I logged the givers name in a note note when I was able to make the connection.

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

Here is my pick: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=867687

Logic is as follows: Plonk buyers almost always purchase their wine on impulse at the local grocery store. This wine is commonplace on the grocer's shelf (usually towards the bottom), and frequently on sale.

Also, I applied the "Mary Test"...referring to my dear friend Mary, who is a delightful soul, one of the funniest people I have ever met and an absolute joy to be around, but she has one gaping flaw among her many redeeming qualities. Of the approximately 20 bottles of plonk that enter my home per year, Mary is probably the contributor of 18 of them. Of all the bottles in your cellar, this one just screams Mary.

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 49
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/27/2011 9:09:17 AM   
sailquik

I always log them into CT and I almost always write a tasting note, even for plonk. If it is something that promises to be undrinkable, I will save it for a day I'm braising ribs and taste, then use for the braise. If white, I'll wait for when I'm making veal Ossobuco and do the same.

On the other hand, I sometimes get lazy and forget to put the tasting note into the system. This has happened with a couple of bottles I received over the last two weeks and were actually pretty good- so drank and in the process forgot to log in and type. Now I can't find the pieces of paper where I wrote my notes.

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 50
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/28/2011 4:27:34 AM   
darren81

i do think it's impt to log and note the plonk. sure, it's not a memory i want to remember, but i like reading my wine journey on CT. plonk and all. you know what they say about cr@p making one grow.

wouldn't want my ratings to entirely be in the upper regions anyway

(in reply to sailquik)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, do you log it into your CT Cellar? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI