CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: my rant- i just couldn't help myself

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: my rant- i just couldn't help myself Page: <<   < prev  16 17 18 19 [20]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: my rant- i just couldn't help myself - 3/27/2024 7:18:26 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

I think UPS needs to remove the map/tracking feature from their app. I've been waiting for a delivery I have to sign for (not wine related, for once), and via the app I've seen the "truck" hit every surrounding street in my neighborhood, but somehow skipped mine and is now a mile away. Their routing algorithm needs to be updated! At this point, the map isn't a helpful feature, it's just pissing me off!

Feel better?

Routing is part of my software business. Sometimes there are factors involved that make ZERO sense to you the recipient, even less to those that own the delivery company, etc... For instance, time closed. Some businesses are closed or refuse shipments between specific hours. So you have to route around that. Some require signatures and they are pushed to when the delivery company knows somebody will be there to sign. In the case of retailer that's all day every day in many cases. In the case of residential they'll push every single one past 5 PM to increase the odds you'll be home from work and can sign. Sometimes it's a simple as certain drivers who are rock star drivers have what they call cream puff accounts and those never get routed or re-routed, period. So you build around those as efficiently as you can. So forth and so on.

More than you ever wanted to know. Before you ask yes, I get just as pissed as the next guy while I'm standing around at 8 PM on a Friday night waiting for my UPS delivery so I can go out to dinner.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 571
RE: my rant- i just couldn't help myself - 3/27/2024 8:00:56 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Feel better?

More than you ever wanted to know. Before you ask yes, I get just as pissed as the next guy while I'm standing around at 8 PM on a Friday night waiting for my UPS delivery so I can go out to dinner.

I feel much better, thanks!

I've implemented routing software in the past, so I was already aware of most of what you mentioned, and yeah, somehow the knowledge really doesn't help in the moment when you can see that your delivery was less than two hundred yards away more than once, and you still end up waiting another six hours!!! Also not helpful when the app gives me an updated "estimated delivery" of 12:30 to 2:30, and it's pushing 5PM!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 572
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 18 19 [20]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: my rant- i just couldn't help myself Page: <<   < prev  16 17 18 19 [20]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI