CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: My Burgundy Project

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: My Burgundy Project Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Burgundy Project - 12/27/2012 5:03:11 PM   
ramwines

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was leaning toward to Chevillon Nuits St Georges villages simply because I seem to do better with the young villages vs. the young 1er crus.

Also tonight, the Whispering Vine is doing a Sea Smoke tasting. So if the burg doesn't work out I'll just switch to the tasting menu.

Richard in Canton, OH and La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico. Formally from Reno, NV.

The only problem with living in Mexico, my wine cellar is in Ohio.

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 181
RE: My Burgundy Project - 12/27/2012 5:10:36 PM   
S1

do both!

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 182
RE: My Burgundy Project - 12/27/2012 6:50:10 PM   
SkeBum

quote:

ORIGINAL: ramwines

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was leaning toward to Chevillon Nuits St Georges villages simply because I seem to do better with the young villages vs. the young 1er crus.

Also tonight, the Whispering Vine is doing a Sea Smoke tasting. So if the burg doesn't work out I'll just switch to the tasting menu.

FIL is still in hospital and wife is there or I would be in the truck headed down right now. While Sea Smoke is far from my favorite California Pinot, some of it is pretty good and would love to taste through a couple of them.

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 183
RE: My Burgundy Project - 12/27/2012 7:52:43 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: SkeBum

quote:

FIL is still in hospital and wife is there or I would be in the truck headed down right now. While Sea Smoke is far from my favorite California Pinot, some of it is pretty good and would love to taste through a couple of them.

Thoughts are still with you and the FIL. It's been a rough year. I hope you have a much better outcome. Your FIL sounds like a great guy. Hit the slopes as the snow is fresh. Do you do Squaw or Heavenly? I used to do Squaw back during High School, but traded out Sierra cement for Utah Powder, during college. I would really have loved to have gone to Banff during the skiing years. Whistler too, but you are talking First Growth prices to ski there.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 184
RE: My Burgundy Project - 12/28/2012 6:58:13 AM   
ramwines

quote:

quote:

Darren, you didn't miss the Sea Smoke. I had my days wrong. The Sea Smoke tasting was Wednesday night.

Richard in Canton, OH and La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico. Formally from Reno, NV.

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 185
My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 12/28/2012 7:18:09 AM   
ramwines

December 27, 2012: "My Burgundy Project" Bottle #13 - 2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges Villages.
Purchased from Whispering Vine Wine Shop - Reno - $56 Rated 89.
Opened and decanted with the "Thursday Night Pinot & Cab Regulars" at Whispering Vine Wine Shop - Reno.
Drank over next 2 hours.

You may recall that in my Rankings of the First Ten Burgundies a couple of weeks ago, another Chevillon was tied for number 3, the 2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Bousselots. That particular wine was the first in My Project that was shared with the "Thursday Night Pinot & Cab Regulars" at the Whispering Vine, and is still remembered by a number of them as the most enjoyable of the Burgs in My Project that they have tasted. When I arrived at the Vine last evening, this Villages Chevillon was immediately recognized and a level of anticipation seemed to spread. Keeping in mind that this crowd's Burgundy expertise is about where mine was prior to this Project, they didn't realize that they were about to experience a good example of a Villages wine vs. a Premier Cru.

The '07 Chevillon Villages displayed all of the barnyard nose characteristics that you would expect, very similar to many Oregon Pinots, along with some dark berry aromas. A very pleasant nose that further led the unsophisticated Burgundy taster toward the anticipated Premier Cru experience of the earlier Chevillon Les Bousselots. But on the palate the differences began to become apparent. The Villages Burg was relatively open and ready to be enjoyed with lots of fruit and some earthy tones. The wine developed nicely in the mouth and maintained a relatively long and enjoyable finish. However, there was a slight abruptness to the overall balance that definitely separated this Villages wine from the earlier Premier Cru.

An old friend and sales rep for a small distributor out of Las Vegas Vin Sauvage Deborah Green, happened to be in attendance and seemed to enjoy the Chevillon Villages more than the rest of us. I wonder if that says something about her more experienced Burgundy palate?

Overall the Villages version was enjoyable and earned a rating of 89 points on my personal Burgundy scale. It would be interesting to see what a couple of more years in the cellar might bring to this wine. But considering the $56 price tag, I think I'll pass in favor of the Premier Crus from Chevillon which are only a couple of dollars more. Which reminds me that I have another 2007 Chevillon Premiur Cru, the "Les Roncieres" in the cellar waiting its turn to contribute to The Project.

Along with the Chevillon, we also enjoyed a 2010 Evening Land Seven Springs Pinot Noir from the Eola-Amity Hills area in Oregon, which was very good and certainly deserves it's WS 93 rating and it's placement on this year's WS Top 100 List. Evening Land has close ties to Burgundy in that the consulting winemaker is Dominique Lafon of Burgundy's Domaines des Comtes Lafon.

Other wines enjoyed through the evening:
2010 Evening Land Seven Springs Pinot Noir.

Previous Burgundy Project notes:
My Burgundy Project - First Five Summary.
My Burgundy Project - Second Five Summary.
First 10 Burgundies Rated
Bottle #11 - 2009 Domaine Heresztyn Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes.
Bottle #12 - 2009 Domaine des Perdrix Vosne-Romanée

2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges Villages

2010 Evening Land Pinot Noir and Chevillon Nuits St. Georges

< Message edited by ramwines -- 12/28/2012 7:22:01 AM >

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 186
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 12/28/2012 11:06:04 AM   
pjaines

I am Slugging back a lot of the chevallon nuits st George 2009 right now. It is so damned slurpy right now. However I paid 30 bucks for it which makes it a bit more acceptable to slug down on a regular basis.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 187
RE: My Burgundy Project - 12/29/2012 3:03:25 PM   
SkeBum

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

quote:

quote:

Thoughts are still with you and the FIL. It's been a rough year. I hope you have a much better outcome. Your FIL sounds like a great guy. Hit the slopes as the snow is fresh. Do you do Squaw or Heavenly? I used to do Squaw back during High School, but traded out Sierra cement for Utah Powder, during college. I would really have loved to have gone to Banff during the skiing years. Whistler too, but you are talking First Growth prices to ski there.

Thanks for the thoughts, Dave.

I frequent Squaw or sometimes Alpine Meadows, as I'm 15 minutes from either parking lot. I have lived in Tahoe since '96 and have never skied at Heavenly. Honestly, if I'm going to drive for an hour to ski, I may as well tack on another 2hrs and go to Mammoth, as I love that mountain.

< Message edited by SkeBum -- 12/29/2012 3:04:29 PM >

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 188
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 12/29/2012 4:09:21 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

Agree $30 is a feel-good price point for above average village level reds. Have been enjoying 2010' Tortochot Morey St. Denis lately @ $30, really nice value for Burgundy, and very tasty.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

I am Slugging back a lot of the chevallon nuits st George 2009 right now. It is so damned slurpy right now. However I paid 30 bucks for it which makes it a bit more acceptable to slug down on a regular basis.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 189
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/10/2013 3:33:24 PM   
ramwines

My Burgundy Project has been quiet for the past couple of weeks. I've taken a little break from the Burgs and enjoyed some really nice California Pinots and Cabs lately. Ive also been busy getting ready to move to the beach house in Mexico for the next 3 months or so.

Happy to say that I'm actually getting on the road tomorrow morning for the 3 day (1,985 mile) drive. Have to stop in Scottsdale, AZ and pick-up my better half, who is currently spending a few days with some of her family. Then, with a little luck, we'll spend a night in the city of Navajoa, Sonora and the following day arrive in our little corner of Mexico, La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. Really ready to head south. The cold and snow have been taking their toll.

Now, if I can finish my preparations and get the SUV mostly packed in the next 3 hours, I might just stop into the Whispering Vine tonight and open a Burgundy.

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 190
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/10/2013 4:54:01 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

My Burgundy Project has been quiet for the past couple of weeks. I've taken a little break from the Burgs and enjoyed some really nice California Pinots and Cabs lately. Ive also been busy getting ready to move to the beach house in Mexico for the next 3 months or so.

Happy to say that I'm actually getting on the road tomorrow morning for the 3 day (1,985 mile) drive. Have to stop in Scottsdale, AZ and pick-up my better half, who is currently spending a few days with some of her family. Then, with a little luck, we'll spend a night in the city of Navajoa, Sonora and the following day arrive in our little corner of Mexico, La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. Really ready to head south. The cold and snow have been taking their toll.

Now, if I can finish my preparations and get the SUV mostly packed in the next 3 hours, I might just stop into the Whispering Vine tonight and open a Burgundy.

Safe travels my friend. Have some fresh Guacamole and think of me. That is one of the better things about Mexico East or West is the great Guac. My wife would eat that every day if she could. Me too!

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 191
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/11/2013 6:48:26 AM   
f22nickell

quote:

Love to hear more about your place in Mexico. The wife and I have a time share in Nuevo Vallarta and just love heading down there this time of the year. We are still too young to retire, but the idea of spending the winter months down sounds very appealing.

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 192
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/13/2013 10:05:05 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

Thought I'd keep a pulse here while Rich is gone...

2010 Rossignol Volnay 1er Santenots

My note is already up on this wine, but I really thought this wine over-delivers for the ~55 I paid. It has all the elements you want in a young Burg, it's very well balanced but it has a lot of energy - the acidity is pretty electric but at the same it has good texture, not paper thin like many overly acidic burgs. Good fruit concentration, great minerality, and a strong finish that kind of sneaks up on you. Definitely like this more than the Pavelot 1er's I've tried, and probably even the Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Clos de la Bousse. No critic scores on CT yet but trust this is a buy @ around $60.

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 193
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/13/2013 1:04:07 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert Pavlovich

My note is already up on this wine, but I really thought this wine over-delivers for the ~55 I paid. It has all the elements you want in a young Burg, it's very well balanced but it has a lot of energy - the acidity is pretty electric but at the same it has good texture, not paper thin like many overly acidic burgs. Good fruit concentration, great minerality, and a strong finish that kind of sneaks up on you. Definitely like this more than the Pavelot 1er's I've tried, and probably even the Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Clos de la Bousse. No critic scores on CT yet but trust this is a buy @ around $60.

From Jasper Morris' book, many of the best Volnay, come from Santenots, even though it technically in Chassagne-Montrachet. I will try and look up some of these. The Pousse' d'OR wines are built more for long term cellaring. I am sure they can be enjoyed in youth as well, but I think that is a lot of the Volnay charm.

Post #: 194
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/13/2013 1:08:22 PM   
S1

quote:

quote:

From Jasper Morris' book, many of the best Volnay, come from Santenots, even though it technically in Chassagne-Montrachet. I will try and look up some of these. The Pousse' d'OR wines are built more for long term cellaring. I am sure they can be enjoyed in youth as well, but I think that is a lot of the Volnay charm.

actually in Meursault I think

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 195
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/13/2013 1:37:30 PM   
champagneinhand

Yep, you are correct sir. My bad! I'm still reading the book. Turns out that it is a great book, but so much information to digest.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 196
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/13/2013 4:06:41 PM   
SkeBum

quote:

Yep, you are correct sir. My bad! I'm still reading the book. Turns out that it is a great book, but so much information to digest.

I find that i read a page sit the book down, think about and then read another page. Looked up the offering today from D.P. and will have to pass. Nice to have as a reference.

< Message edited by SkeBum -- 1/13/2013 4:07:16 PM >

Post #: 197
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/13/2013 4:12:03 PM   
S1

and I like the wines of Giroud ok
I bit on the Bourgogne--worth 21 bucks to me

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 198
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/13/2013 4:23:38 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

True about the aging potential/necessity. I kind of burned this Rossignol, but am glad I did because it helps me make my buying decisions now. Found the Pousse just slightly less complex at a higher tariff.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 199
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/13/2013 4:25:22 PM   
f22nickell

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

and I like the wines of Giroud ok
I bit on the Bourgogne--worth 21 bucks to me

I did the same, bit on Bourgogne but not the 1er or the GC ... The Burgundy cellar continues to grow ...

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 200
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/13/2013 6:44:31 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

quote:

I find that i read a page sit the book down, think about and then read another page. Looked up the offering today from D.P. and will have to pass. Nice to have as a reference.

I, like Darren had to pass.

In the last 40 days or so I have purchased 4 GC from Gevrey. 2 from Jean et Jean Louis Trapet, one being a "Le Chambertin", One Rossignol Trapet Chapelle Chambertin, and one Armand Rousseau Charmes-Chambertin from 1988. To say this has broke the piggy bank, would be an understatement.

This is just GC, as I have acquired a few 1er Cru Volnay during this time period as well. Mrs.CiH has been looking at me sideways, so its time for a little restraint. I don't want permanent banishment to the moratorium.

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 201
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/17/2013 6:12:27 AM   
ramwines

quote:

ORIGINAL: f22nickell

Love to hear more about your place in Mexico. The wife and I have a time share in Nuevo Vallarta and just love heading down there this time of the year. We are still too young to retire, but the idea of spending the winter months down sounds very appealing.

We are just 10 minutes north of Nuevo. If you walk out to the beach in Nuevo and look to your right, we're in the large complex you can see just where the coast turns to the west and heads out to Punta Mita. It's the Punta Esmeralda complex.

If you're planing to be in the area this winter give us a shout and we can get together in one of the local restaurants and try some of the South American wines that are readily available down here.

My Mexican cell: +52.322.142.9066

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 202
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/17/2013 8:20:34 AM   
f22nickell

quote:

quote:

We are just 10 minutes north of Nuevo. If you walk out to the beach in Nuevo and look to your right, we're in the large complex you can see just where the coast turns to the west and heads out to Punta Mita. It's the Punta Esmeralda complex.

If you're planing to be in the area this winter give us a shout and we can get together in one of the local restaurants and try some of the South American wines that are readily available down here.

My Mexican cell: +52.322.142.9066

Bummer, wished I had got on the boards sooner as the wife and swapped our timeshare this year to do Cabo with another couple. We head down on Valentine's day. I would still love to hear about good wines that are available to purchase in Mexico. The resort we are staying is all inclusive (The couple we are traveling with like quantity over quality when it comes to drinking alcohol.) Not so myself and I've heard the wine they serve at all-inclusive's is terrible swill. Picking up a few bottles on the local economy is what I normally do, but its always been hit or miss.

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 203
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/17/2013 8:50:01 AM   
Eddie

Has anyone on this thread yet tasted the 2010 Joseph Drouhin Pommard? It's locally available and I wonder if I should invest in a few bottles.

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 204
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/17/2013 9:12:51 AM   
S1

no but if the price is right go for it
It's consistently ok, but needs cellar time

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 205
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/17/2013 9:29:56 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

Well I'm even more sold on this wine, had a couple glasses last night on day 4 and it was still enjoyable.

Post #: 206
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/17/2013 9:31:35 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

Has anyone on this thread yet tasted the 2010 Joseph Drouhin Pommard? It's locally available and I wonder if I should invest in a few bottles.

Hard to go wrong with Drouhin at the village level in a good year, I'm actually looking for his Chambolle premier Cru, not so easy to find.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 207
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/17/2013 11:39:14 AM   
ramwines

quote:

Bummer, wished I had got on the boards sooner as the wife and swapped our timeshare this year to do Cabo with another couple. We head down on Valentine's day. I would still love to hear about good wines that are available to purchase in Mexico. The resort we are staying is all inclusive (The couple we are traveling with like quantity over quality when it comes to drinking alcohol.) Not so myself and I've heard the wine they serve at all-inclusive's is terrible swill. Picking up a few bottles on the local economy is what I normally do, but its always been hit or miss.

Well, there is always next winter. As for wines in Cabo, I can't recommend any particular wine shops, but I think that I've heard from others that there are some decent establishments in the area. You'll have to ask around.

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 208
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #14 - 1/17/2013 12:03:31 PM   
ramwines

January 10, 2013: "My Burgundy Project" Bottle #14 - 2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges 1er Cru Les Roncières.
Purchased from Whispering Vine Wine Shop - Reno - $57 Rated 91.
Opened and decanted with the "Thursday Night Pinot & Cab Regulars" at Whispering Vine Wine Shop - Reno.
Drank over next 2 hours.

Before I start, here's a snapshot taken as I write this posting with a Pacifico Cerveza in hand. Thought I would include it for all of you north of the border dealing with the cold and snow. Temps here are in the low 80s.

Beach Club Pool at Punta Esmeralda, La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico. On the shore of the Bahia de Banderas just north of Puerto Vallarta.

So I tore myself away from the last minute preparations for the trip to Mexico to open a Burgundy and enjoy it, along with some other nice wines, with the usual Thursday night crowd at the Whispering Vine. If you have been following my Burgundy adventure, you may recall that this is my second Chevillon Premier Cru. The first was the 2007 Chevillon Nuits St. Georges Les Bousselots which was the second Burg drank as part of my project back on November 8th. The "Les Bousselots" was very enjoyable, earned a rating of 90 and was number 3 in my Rankings of the First Ten Burgundies. That particular wine was the first in my project that was shared with the "Thursday Night Pinot & Cab Regulars" and is still remembered by a number of them as the most enjoyable of the Burgs in my project that they have tasted. So there was some anticipation When I showed up with another Chevillon Premier Cru.

I'm happy to report that no one was disappointed. The '07 Chevillon "Les Roncières" displayed a really nice nose of earthiness and some berries. Almost barnyard-like, but not as overpowering as some Burgundies (and Oregon Pinots) I've had. I was reminded of both the earlier Chevillon "Les Bousselots" and also the Chevillon Villages Burgundy drank a couple of weeks ago as My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13.

On the palate the "Les Roncières" was very tasty with lots of berries, some hints of coffee and chocolate and a relatively full body. The acidity seemed well balanced and the finish lasted for minutes. Some other tasting notes commented that this Burg was too "sweet" for at least one taster, but I enjoyed this fruity Burgundy quite a bit. Must be my California Pinot palate. My tasting friends all enjoyed this wine as well, commenting that they enjoyed it more than the "Les Bousselots".

Overall the "Les Roncières" was one of my most enjoyable Burgundies in my 2 1/2 month project. I rated this wine 91 points and hope to find some more when I return to the states in April.

Along with the Chevillon, we also enjoyed a 2008 Domaine Serene "Evenstad" Reserve Pinot Noir from the Wilamette Valley in Oregon, and a 2003 Elderton "Command" Single Vineyard Shiraz from the Barossa Valley in Australia. Both of these wines were exceptional.

Other wines enjoyed through the evening:
2008 Domaine Serene "Evenstad" Reserve Pinot Noir.
2003 Elderton "Command" Single Vineyard Shiraz

Previous Burgundy Project notes:
My Burgundy Project - First Five Summary.
My Burgundy Project - Second Five Summary.
Bottle #11 - 2009 Domaine Heresztyn Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes.
Bottle #12 - 2009 Domaine des Perdrix Vosne-Romanée
Bottle #13 - 2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges Village

The Line-up...

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 209
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #13 - 1/17/2013 4:24:10 PM   
Eddie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

Hard to go wrong with Drouhin at the village level in a good year, I'm actually looking for his Chambolle premier Cru, not so easy to find.

Thanks, I didn't need much arm twisting....

V horam in quodam loco est.

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: My Burgundy Project Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI