CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 - 4/29/2013 5:59:30 PM   
ramwines

April 25, 2013: "My Burgundy Project" Bottle #16 - 2009 Domaine des Perdrix Pinot Noir Bourgogne.
Purchased from Total Wines - Reno - $21.36 Rated 90.
Opened with the "Thursday Night Pinot & Cab Regulars" at Whispering Vine Wine Shop - Reno and consumed over the next 2 hours.

Back in Reno, NV after 3 months in Burgundy-starved Mexico and looking forward to opening another Burg and getting My Burgundy Project back in operation. Since I've only had 1 Burgundy in the past 3 months, I decided to try what I thought would be just a run-of-the-mill Burg for bottle #16 and ease myself back to the wine bar, so to speak. Based on the $21 price tag, I thought the 2009 Domaine des Perdrix Pinot Noir Bourgogne would be like many of the lower priced Burgs I've tasted... subdued, a little unbalanced, lacking real character and generally not too exciting.

What a surprise when I first opened the Perdrix Bourgogne and was met with an aroma of a big well aged Pinot. The nose was full of berries and hints of chocolate. The first taste continued to surprise with a nice balance on the palette and a lasting finish with very little acidity. As the evening progressed, this Burg seemed to become more complex and suggested that a few years in the cellar might be well worth the trouble. My tasting companions were also very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Perdrix and suggested that it tasted more like Burgundies at 2 to 3 times the cost.

Overall, a very pleasant experience that earned a rating of 90 points. I've got to get back to Total Wines and see if they have any more.

Other wines enjoyed through the evening:
2008 A.P. Vin Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard
2008 Reynolds Family Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Select

Previous Burgundy Project notes:
My Burgundy Project - First Five Summary.
My Burgundy Project - Second Five Summary.
Bottle #11 - 2009 Domaine Heresztyn Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes.
Bottle #12 - 2009 Domaine des Perdrix Vosne-Romanée
Bottle #13 - 2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges Village
Bottle #14 - 2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Roncieres
Bottle #15 - 2007 Louis Jadot Nuits St. Georges

< Message edited by ramwines -- 5/4/2013 11:11:11 AM >

Richard in Canton, OH and La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico. Formally from Reno, NV.

The only problem with living in Mexico, my wine cellar is in Ohio.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 241
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 - 4/29/2013 6:08:20 PM   
S1

buy the "Aux Perdrix"
serious stuff

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 242
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 - 4/29/2013 8:55:52 PM   
f22nickell

April 29, 2013: "Scott N's Burgundy Project" Bottle #1 - 2006 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos des 60 Ouvrees
Purchased from Winebid.com (3 each) - $60/apiece Rated 92
Opened at home ... by myself - Consumed over 2 days (maybe 3 ... Will see)

Thanks to S1's influence (who hasn't?), I've been on my own Burgundy journey since around the new year. I've been delving deep in to young to mid-life vintages across the entire Cote d'Or. Although I've picked up a few Grand Cru's along the way, I haven't opened them as I believe them to be too young. Still, I wanted to start drinking some now to hone in on the areas and producers that I might like. In this endeavor, I open whatever I can get my hands on ... But primarily Village and 1er from 2001, 2002, 2007, and a few from 2009.

Today I decided to open a 2006 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos des 60 Ouvrees. I just purchased three of these from Winebid.com a couple of weeks ago. I originally planned to lay them down for awhile, but in my wine learning journeys, I read about something called "gout moisi terreux" (literal translation: earthy musty flavor) that, apparently, had hit many 2006 Volnay wines; Marquis d'Angerville wines being the most talked about. Apparently this gout moisi terreux is an insidious type of rot because you cannot detect it visually when harvesting or sorting because it happens underneath the skins of the grapes. Most people who can detect say it gives the wine a dirty dishwater/swampwater/smoky flavor to the wine.

Anyway, I decided to open one of these tonight to see if I could detect this "gout moisi terreux." At worst, I expected this wine to be monstrous and undrinkable. At best, I expected it to be shutdown and not much to show for it.

I was pleasantly surprised ... Here are my tasting notes:

Day 1:
PnP, poured a glass straight away but let it sit for an hour or so before getting near it. I opened this because just after buying a few bottles, I read about the "gout moisie terreux" that had hit the 06 Volnay wines pretty heavy. I was a little worried but have to say, there is a lot to like here. Overall, the wine has a substantial structure and tannic spine that wants to take center stage. However, I caught whiffs of strawberry, pine and menthol on the nose after vigorous swirling over time. Still, what really struck me was the balance of strength from the structure matched with the light, silky fruit that makes this wine so alluring. Probably many years to go before mature but, even in its youth, the tension of fruit and structure is captivating. On the "gout moisie terreux," I didn't note any dirty dishwater or smoky smells/tastes ... I am either lucky or not sensitive. Can't wait to see what its like on day 2.

Hope my remaining two bottles taste this good!

P.S. Thanks for letting me hijack your thread!

< Message edited by f22nickell -- 5/14/2013 12:43:13 PM >

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 243
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 - 4/29/2013 10:35:21 PM   
ramwines

quote:

ORIGINAL: f22nickell

April 29, 2013: "Scott N's Burgundy Project" Bottle #1 - 2006 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos des 60 Ouvrees
Purchased from Winebid.com (3 each) - $60/apiece Rated 92
Opened at home ... by myself - Consumed over 2 days (maybe 3 ... Will see)

P.S. Thanks for letting me hijack your thread!

No problem Scott. Actually glad to have your contribution to "My/Our Burgundy Project". I'll look forward to reading more from you.

Richard in Canton, OH and La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico. Formally from Reno, NV.

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 244
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 - 4/30/2013 3:24:29 AM   
S1

Scott,
M. Landanger is doing some good things at Pousse d'Or. We've visited a couple of times.
but I do miss the wines of Gerard Potel, who owned the estate in the 1990s

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 245
My Burgundy Project - Bottle #17 - 5/4/2013 11:06:21 AM   
ramwines

May 2, 2013: "My Burgundy Project" Bottle #17 - 2009 Domaine Rene LeClerc Bourgogne Pinot Black.
Purchased from J.J. Buckley - $19.81 Rated 89.
Opened with the "Thursday Night Pinot & Cab Regulars" at Whispering Vine Wine Shop - Reno and consumed over the next 2 hours.

Another Thursday evening spent at "The Vine" with the guys. For this week's Burgundy Project tasting, I chose one of the
Domaine Rene LeClerc Burgs that I purchased from J.J. Buckley in January, the 2009 Bourgogne Pinot Black. From my limited Burgundy knowledge and what I could gather from their website, the Bourgogne Pinot Black is the entry-level wine produced by Domaine LeClerc. The website listed 8 Burgundies, starting with the LeClerc Griotte Chambertin Grand Cru, 4 Premier Cru offerings, the "Clos Prieur" (Old Vines?), the Gevrey Chambertin and finally the Bourgogne Pinot Black. It also seems to be priced as such with a CT Community Average Value of only $24.42.

With that knowledge, my expectations were somewhat limited. I thought this would just be another run-of-the-mill burg that would not really thrill me to any extent. Upon opening the bottle, I was greeted with a somewhat subdued nose of berries, but certainly not the barnyard aromas often experienced. On the palette it was immediately obvious that this wine needed some time to open. I put it aside and enjoyed some of the other wines that friends had opened. (See links below.)

After about 30 minutes I went back to the LeClerc Bourgogne and was surprised as to how the nose had opened. Along with the obvious berries, a earthy fullness had developed. The wine was beginning to show some of its character with hints of oak and a well-rounded balance. The acidity was not over powering yet still obvious. Over the next 90 minutes the wine continued to develop and became a very enjoyable experience. Brian, the Whispering Vine manager, was surprised at the low price. He thought it tasted more like a $50-$60 Burgundy.

This Burg also went very nicely with the peperoni, sausage, mushroom, sun-dried tomato and artichoke pizza delivered from Eclipse Pizza Overall, a really nice experience with my first Domaine Rene LeClerc Burgundy.

2008 Elk Cove Vineyards Pinot Noir Five Mountain from the Willamette Valley in Oregon.
2006 Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve, a Bordeaux blend from the Columbia Valley in Washington.

Bottle #14 - 2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges 1er Cru Les Roncières
Bottle #16 - 2009 Domaine des Perdrix Pinot Noir Bourgogne

< Message edited by ramwines -- 5/4/2013 11:08:58 AM >

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 246
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #17 - 5/4/2013 9:26:38 PM   
f22nickell

May 2nd and 3rd, 2013: "Scott N's Burgundy Project" Bottle #2 - 2007 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Clos de la Commaraine
Purchased from Benchmark Wines (CA) (2 each) - $29/apiece Rated 87
Opened at home ... by myself - Consumed over 2 days

My wife had surgery last Thursday to fuse two vertebrae in her neck. We left the house early morning, surgery started around noon, finished around 2:30, she woke up around 5, and I finally went home around 9 pm to take care of the dogs (the wife stayed overnight in the hospital.)

In honor of Burgundy Thursday, I cracked a bottle of 2007 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Clos de la Commaraine when I got home. I have to admit, I was dead tired when I popped the cork and didn't take very good notes. What I do recall was how approachable it was right out of the bottle (I have read this is typical of many 2007 red Burgundy wines)

Very light in color. The nose was pretty tight on first pour; it took awhile to for it open up. When it did, I caught hints of lilac and earthiness, but very little fruit. The palate was similar ... Still no fruit. The floral note was missing in the taste, replaced by mildly thick, chewy meat/gamey flavor. The wine was balanced... good tension between the alcohol, tannins, acid, and flavor profile. The finish was short though, not much play at the end. Everything faded quickly, the acid taking the longest and that was how the wine finished.

Day 2 was much the same, but I picked up some strawberries on the nose. Palate was the same as the night before ... Acid, gamey/meat/earthiness flavor, mild-mid tannins, and acid to make it crisp, would up tight.

All in all, this came across like a well made wine; albeit a bit simple. The reason I scored it so low was simply because I didn't enjoy the flavor profile. The lack of fruit, replaced by chewy meatiness and earth tones, just left me going "meh" on the wine.

This was my first bottle of Pommard. While I will endeavor to not let one bottle paint my view, I am suspect on how much I will enjoy wines from this particular region. The reason I say this is two fold: 1) From what I've read, this gamey/meaty/chewy aspect is typical for Pommard wines, and 2) this appeared to be a well made bottle of wine. Everything was balanced. It wasn't how the wine was made that left me disappointed, it was simply just the flavor profile.

I have another bottle, I will give it another chance some day ... Probably pretty soon as this bottle was definitely ready to go, not sure how much it would benefit from additional cellar time.

Bottle #1 - 2006 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos des 60 Ouvrees

< Message edited by f22nickell -- 5/14/2013 12:54:16 PM >

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 247
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #17 - 5/5/2013 9:37:39 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

You guys are definitely reinforcing the advice to avoid '07 red Burgundy (Bordeaux also for that matter). It's just tough to overcome such poor weather.

Had a '10 Chevillon NSG Village VV that was excellent a couple weeks ago. Let it slow ox for about 5 hours and it opened enough to really enjoy it.

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 248
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #17 - 5/6/2013 8:08:24 PM   
f22nickell

May 5th and 6th, 2013: "Scott N's Burgundy Project" Bottle #3 - 2008 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny
Purchased from Winebid.com (2 each) - $40/apiece Rated 88
Opened at home ... by myself (sensing a pattern yet? ) - Consumed over 2 days

My wife is recovering from neck surgery fairly well. I am trying to be the good caretaker and I assume I am not screwing it up too badly. There seems to be a pattern throughout the day. She wakes up, takes her pain meds, falls back asleep an hour later for about an hour, up again for 2-3 more hours, then takes her pain pills again and the process repeats ad nauseum. During the day, I use that hour of sleep to run errands, clean the house, etc. During the evening, I use that hour to drink wine.

Following the bottle of 2007 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Clos de la Commaraine that I didn't much care for, I decided to go back to my favorite Cote de Nuits region (to date) ... Chambolle. This time, I grabbed an 08 village wine to see how they are drinking; a Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny to be precise.

Overall, this was what I would call a pretty wine; pure red fruits over a mineral base with gentle floral and spicy accents emerging with time. The aromatics had that wonderful floral characteristic I've come to find in the few Chambolle wines I've had to date. In this specific wine, there's a lightness of touch and a sense of real refreshment that make this all too easy to drink. The only real flaw is the wine is not quite balanced ... The acid is a touch too high. I believe the reason why is the wine is shutting down. It feels like the wine is there, but I am tasting it through a felt veil that lets the acid through, but mutes the remaining ingredients. I don't have enough experience with Burgundy wines that are entering the shutdown phase, but I hear this typically happens around the 5-7 year mark.

For now, I am rating this wine an 88 on what is in the glass today
. If its shutdown, then this wine has a good chance of becoming something very nice when the veiled, muted aspects disappear and the flavor/tannins reappear.

One bottle left. I will give this some time to see if the veil gets lifted.

Bottle #2 - 2007 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Clos de la Commaraine

< Message edited by f22nickell -- 5/9/2013 9:35:06 AM >

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 249
My Burgundy Project - New World Burgundy - 5/7/2013 4:40:00 PM   
ramwines

Although this does not fit my original Burgundy Project definition, this New World Burgundy was so good it deserves mention.

Last night TW and I enjoyed our very last 2001 Rochioli East Block Pinot. I decanted it for about an hour, then we enjoyed it over the next 3. Still lots of berries and spices with lingering tannins. Suspect this Pinot was still good for another year or more.

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 250
RE: My Burgundy Project - New World Burgundy - 5/9/2013 10:04:01 AM   
f22nickell

May 8th and 10th, 2013: "Scott N's Burgundy Project" Bottle #4 - 2002 Claude Dugat Gevrey-Chambertin
Purchased from Winebid.com (2 each) - $75/apiece Rated 91 (Overall)
Opened at home ... by myself - Consumed over 2 days

After my last bottle of 2008 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny that was pretty shutdown ( I hope!), I decided to go back a few years to try something hopefully old enough to be in its drinking window. I decided to open a bottle of 2002 Claude Dugat Gevrey-Chambertin. At $75 a bottle, a little spendy for a mid week drinker, but I am on a mission here so what the heck ...

I Popped and poured. Initially, I got nothing on the nose. I was a bit discouraged, but I let it sit in the glass for awhile, swirling occassionally. After about 30 minutes, the aroma just exploded out of the glass! I haven't seen a transformation quite like this before. A swirl or two and the aromas hit from several feet away. I smelled some toasted wood, mature red berries, cocoa powder and dark spices. On the nose alone I give this wine 94-95pts!

On the other hand, the palate didn't live up to the nose. I found flavors of iron, minerals, strawberries, and raspberries. The tannins were fully integrated, and plenty of acid remaining to keep it crisp. The flavors weren't complex or overwhelming, perhaps just a bit restrained in fact. Mid length finish with little change. Nice wine, just the palate didn't follow through on the nose's promises.

94-95 pts for the nose, 90pts for the palate ... Since the nose is just a memory by the time you hit the last sip in the glass, I give this wine an overall 91 points.

Bottle #3 - 2008 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 251
RE: My Burgundy Project - New World Burgundy - 5/13/2013 7:13:45 AM   
f22nickell

May 11th, 12th, and 13th, 2013: "Scott N's Burgundy Project" Bottle #5 - 2002 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens
Purchased from Winebid.com (3 each) - $50/apiece Rated 93
Opened at home ... by myself - Consumed over 3 days

After my first bottle of a Jadot Pommard (2007 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Clos de la Commaraine), I was wary of what this bottle would be like. I tried going into it with an open mind, but my expectations were that I wouldn't enjoy this wine ... I found I was prejudiced against the so-called "meatiness" quality associated with Pommards.

So Saturday night I PnP'd this bottle and initial aromas were just as I feared ... meat, bacon, and soy. I shrugged and put the glass down for an hour or so. When I came back to it, I was pleasantly surprised that the "meatiness" had blown away and I was treated to a nice mix of red fruit and earth. Had it been a blind tasting, my guess would have been a Pommard at PnP, but a Volnay after an hour or so. I had only the one glass on day 1, but pleasantly surprised.

I poured myself another glass Sunday night. The wine was even nicer on the second day where aromas had evolved to a mixture of red berries, leather, cedar with a touch of sour cherries. So fragrant. I found the same on the palate, with silky and juicy on the attack. Very light tannins. Rounded, long lasting finish. This is very approachable, and is very pleasant to drink now, with a good core of red fruit, good acidity and a sweet finish.

Tonight I will finish the bottle ... Lets see what it offers on day 3.

This wine had what I've read is a hallmark of Volnay wines .. floral, haunting aromas and flavors; a pretty wine. It also had a lot of power to it, which I've read is hallmark of Pommard wines. I really like this wine, glad I have two more ... I will definitely keep an open mind to Pommard wines after this one!

Bottle #3 - 2008 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny
Bottle #4 - 2002 Claude Dugat Gevery-Chambertin

< Message edited by f22nickell -- 5/13/2013 7:14:41 AM >

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 252
RE: My Burgundy Project - New Burgs Ordered - 5/14/2013 1:40:18 PM   
f22nickell

In keeping with Ramwine’s intent to make the "My Burgundy Project" thread an educational and useful exercise. I plan to follow his suit to provide a summary after five wines. Here are my thoughts after the first five.

Bottle #1 - 2006 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos des 60 Ouvrees - Rating 92 - Price $60 Original note: S-MBP Bottle #1
Thanks to S1’s influence, I’ve caught the Burgundy bug. I decided to start this series with a 2006 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos des 60 Ouvrees I read about something called "gout moisi terreux" (literal translation: earthy musty flavor) that, apparently, had hit many 2006 Volnay wines; Marquis d'Angerville wines being the most talked about. Apparently this gout moisi terreux is an insidious type of rot because you cannot detect it visually when harvesting or sorting because it happens underneath the skins of the grapes. Most people who can detect say it gives the wine a dirty dishwater/swampwater/smoky flavor to the wine.

I was pleasantly surprised. This was a nice wine that, for me, had a great tension/balance between strength from structure and light, silky fruit. No “gout moisi terreux.” I have two more bottles in the cellar … Looking forward to them.

Bottle #2 - 2007 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Clos de la Commaraine - Rating 87 - Price $29 Original note: S-MBP Bottle #2
This was my first bottle of Pommard wine. I was disappointed in this wine, although not surprised. I only rated it as high as I did because this appeared to be a well-made wine with all the right pieces in place, I just didn’t enjoy the flavor profile … The gamey/meat/earthiness I’ve read to be typical of Pommard wines. Very little fruit flavor. I don’t like this style in OR wines, and I don’t like it here either. I have one bottle left … Not sure it will be any more enjoyable the next go around.

Bottle #3 - 2008 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny - Rating 88 - Price $40 Original note: S-MBP Bottle #3
Overall, this has the potential to be a very nice wine. I really enjoy the floral, feminine, “pretty” aromas of Chambolle wines. This wine had some great aromas, very light and ethereal, but a bit too much acid. However, I don’t believe it was poorly made, it just feels like the wine is shutting down and only leaving its acid behind. I can almost sense the potential, but it sits behind a soft veil. I have one bottle left, going to leave it alone. If this opens up, should be a great wine.

Bottle #4 - 2002 Claude Dugat Gevrey-Chambertin - Rating 91 (overall) - Price $75 Original note: S-MBP Bottle #4
Decided to go with an older bottle of wine in hopes of not running across another ‘shutdown’ bottle. This one is a little spendy for a village level wine, but I am on a mission here. This one had nothing on the nose when I first opened it, but 30 minutes later the aroma just exploded! I really loved the smell of this wine! If the palate had matched, I would have rated this a 94 or 95! Unfortunately, the palate didn’t live up to the nose. Nothing technically wrong with the palate, just not very complex and perhaps a bit restrained. I like this wine, but not enough to buy more at this tariff.

Bottle #5 - 2002 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens - Rating 93 - Price $50 Original note: S-MBP Bottle #5
Another Pommard. I was wary about this one after bottle #2 above. First whiff after opening was discouraging … scents of meat, bacon, and soy. However, when I came back to it, the gamey smells had blown off to be replaced by a nice mix of red fruit and a touch of earth. Very light and ethereal, more in line with what I’ve read about Pommard’s neighbor, Volnay. Day two was even better. The aromas were more evolved than day one. The palate was very silky, juicy with light tannins and a rounded, long lasting finish. This wine has floral haunting flavors but also a power to it. I have two more bottles that I look forward to drinking!

First Five Final Tally – Pommard so far is a love/hate relationship … Two bottles down … one my favorite of the five, the other my least favorite. The biggest disconnect between the nose and palate came from the Gevery-Chambertin. The Volnay was very enjoyable, an ethereal nose. More so on the Chambolle, but not sure about that one’s palate. Time will tell.

Also happy to report that my cellar currently holds 90 Red Burgundies on hand with 21 pending with which to continue the project (the wallet isn’t so happy.) I have to say I cringe a bit when I realize I think I had 5 bottles total when S1 gave me the Burgundy bug just four months ago sometime after New Years.

Next up for me is something new, the lowest level, a "bourgogne." 2010 Camille Giroud Bourgogne

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 253
RE: My Burgundy Project - New Burgs Ordered - 5/14/2013 2:44:59 PM   
Yossarian

The big question is "has anyone had their Burg moment yet"? I admire the work going on here.

It is a long and frustrating journey but in the .001% of time that that Burg Moment arrives it is brilliant.

I think heroin addicts call it "chasing the dragon".....

I've had my original burg moment and I have a few of them ...... and I've sold my children's internal organs to pay for more bottles in order to try and recreate them....but I am scared that I will end up homeless and broke....

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 254
RE: My Burgundy Project - New Burgs Ordered - 5/14/2013 3:10:11 PM   
f22nickell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

The big question is "has anyone had their Burg moment yet"? I admire the work going on here.

It is a long and frustrating journey but in the .001% of time that that Burg Moment arrives it is brilliant.

I've had my original burg moment and I have a few of them ...... and I've sold my children's internal organs to pay for more bottles in order to try and recreate them....but I am scared that I will end up homeless and broke....

Bottle number 5 was close, but I wouldn't call it the "Burg Moment." I was very intrigued by this bottle of wine because of the tension/play between the light/ethereal/floral/feminine side and the power/force side. Was I having a heaven moment? no ... But it was a wonderful glass of wine that invoked reflection and discernment.

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 255
RE: My Burgundy Project - New Burgs Ordered - 5/14/2013 4:19:20 PM   
Eddie

I have a "Burg Moment" every time I drink a glass of the 2010 Jean Fournier Cuvee St. Urbain Marsannay....and I have 9 bottles left out of the case

I might just have to buy another case....I have been exploring Burgundies this winter, and have yet to find anything approaching the QPR of the Fournier Marsannay....and I doubt the 11s and 12s will be as good.

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 256
RE: My Burgundy Project - New Burgs Ordered - 5/15/2013 7:06:08 AM   
f22nickell

May 13, 14, &15, 2013: "Scott N's Burgundy Project" Bottle #6 2010 Camille Giroud Bourgogne.
Purchased from Damn Paul at Full Pull - $21.99 Rated 88.
Opened at home ... by myself - Consumed over 3 days .

So this was my first regional-level, or "Bourgogne" wine. I bought this from 'Damn Paul' at Full Pull back in January, but just got around to picking up my wines last week ... I moved my wines into a racked offsite late last year and decided to hold off picking up my FP wines until I finished updating all the wine locations in CT ... Took awhile :-)

Anyway, being a regional level wine, I decide to just PnP - Light to medium in color (darker than I thought it would be.) Muted scent at first, then opened to light aromas of cherry and strawberries. First taste had strong grapefruit juice/citrus traits with cranberries on the end (Very acidic - More Barbera-like than Barbera!). Over time, I detected secondary notes of sous bois - not overwhelming, actually quite complementary. Weak mid palate - not much flavor, primarily just a cola fizz mouth feel. Medium to long finish of acidic cranberries.

All in all, not a bad wine, just very acidic. When the last of the flavors faded away, it left me with a faded memory that reminded me of the regurgitated stomach acid sensation you sometimes get hours after eating pasta with marinara. I know, sounds terrible, but I actually enjoyed the wine after it had opened up a bit.

Scott N's Burgundy Project - First Five Summary.

< Message edited by f22nickell -- 5/15/2013 1:42:56 PM >

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 257
RE: My Burgundy Project - Second Five Summary - 5/16/2013 1:18:27 PM   
sukeiasa

major props to you!
i'm slowly trying to learn about burgundies but don't have the meticulous nature to document everything like you! 

by the way, i'm curious when you wrote "old world Burgundies" in your first post... what would be some examples of new world burgundies!?

if you are on the west coast, i highly recommend that you attend the next la paulee in san franciso if your current foray into burgundies is increasing your interest... my first indulgence in the region was at this year's event in nyc and i've gotten the bug ever since.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 258
RE: My Burgundy Project - New Burgs Ordered - 5/21/2013 12:30:26 PM   
ramwines

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

After 17 Burgs opened and seriously tasted since I started this project last Nov. 3rd, I can say that there have been a few that I really enjoyed...
Bottle #2 - '07 Chevillon Nuits St. Georges "Les Bousselots",
Bottle #5 - '03 Vougeraie Clos Vougeot,
Bottle #10 - '07 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru,
Bottle #14 - '07 Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru "Les Roncieres".

To answer your question, I don't think I've experienced any particular "special" moments. Keeping in mind that my blood runs thick with great CA Pinots, I'm not really surprised that my Burgundy experience to date hasn't blown me away. But I'm still making the effort. When I started this project I committed to give Burgundy a chance "through the winter". Well it's spring here in northern Nevada and I've got 20 Burgs in the cellar with which to continue my exploration. (Before I started I had exactly 1.)

Then there is the question... will I recognize a true "Burgundy moment" if I stumble upon one? To which I can only say that if it's anything like some Pinot moments I've had over the years, like most recently "My Last '01 Rochioli East Block", I think I will.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 259
My Burgundy Project - Next up... - 5/21/2013 12:41:09 PM   
ramwines

This Thursday I'm planing on opening a 2008 Domaine Rene Leclerc Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Prieur, which has a 90+ rating on CT. Will this be "the moment"?

If you're in northern Nevada, meet me at The Vine for a taste.

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 260
RE: My Burgundy Project - Next up... - 5/21/2013 12:45:09 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ramwines

This Thursday I'm planing on opening a 2008 Domaine Rene Leclerc Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Prieur, which has a 90+ rating on CT. Will this be "the moment"?

nope
most 08s are really tight right now

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 261
RE: My Burgundy Project - Next up... - 5/21/2013 2:56:11 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

Had a '10 Cabot Anderson Valley last night...was very good, especially @ $24.00

Translates well with a rockin' Bourgogne or a good village level Burg.

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 262
RE: My Burgundy Project - Next up... - 5/23/2013 6:07:35 PM   
ramwines

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

nope
most 08s are really tight right now

Thanks for the advice. I've only opened 1 '08 so far and it wasn't very impressive. So now I'm thinking about opening 2005 Domaine Maume Gevrey-Chambertin. It also has a CT rating north of 90 and hopefully will be more approachable.

< Message edited by ramwines -- 5/23/2013 6:08:01 PM >

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 263
My Burgundy Project - Bottle #18 - 5/24/2013 9:24:02 AM   
ramwines

May 23, 2013: "My Burgundy Project" Bottle #18 - 2005 Domaine Maume Gevrey-Chambertin.
Purchased from Total Wines - Reno - $52.00 Rated 88.

Another Thursday evening spent at the Whispering Vine with the guys. For this week's
Burgundy Project tasting, I took S1's advice and instead of opening a 2008 Rene LaClerc, which he advised would be totally closed, I switched to an '05 Gevrey Chambertin from Domaine Maume. Being from the highly touted 2005 vintage, I had some expectations. And must admit that I was somewhat influenced by the CT rating of 90.6.

The Burg went straight from my cellar to the Whispering Vine and was still somewhat cold when I arrived. I opened the bottle but let it warm up for about
30 minutes before my first taste. While waiting I enjoyed a very nice glass of 2009 Donum Pinot Noir Russian River Valley that a friend had opened.

Upon approaching the '05 Gevrey Chambertin, I was greeted with an earthy nose with spices and fruits mingling together. On the palette the Burg was very pleasant with more fruit coming through and a relatively nice balance. The finish was weak and as the bottle was consumed over a couple of hours, it faded away almost completely. The comments of my fellow winos were pretty much in line with mine.

Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with this Burgundy, especially considering the hype surrounding the 2005 vintage. Certainly not a "Burgundy Moment".

2009 Donum Pinot Noir Russian River Valley

Bottle #14 - 2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges 1er Cru Les Roncières
Bottle #16 - 2009 Domaine des Perdrix Pinot Noir Bourgogne
Bottle #17 - 2009 Domaine Rene LeClerc Bourgogne Pinot Black

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 264
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 - 5/25/2013 1:21:11 AM   
budh

Just wanted to add my thanks for the thread. I've been a wine consumer for 40 years, but only a real wine drinker for the last year or so (when I joined CT). I live near Freestone CA, surrounded by many nice PN vineyards (Phelps/Freestone, Dutton-Goldfield, Marimar, etc.). I've grown quite fond of Sonoma Coast Pinots, but haven't really even scratched the surface with them. I just completed the WSET Level 2 class - a 16 hour, 45 tastings, 3 day experience. I really enjoyed it, even with their almost comical short-changing of US wines. (We get the same coverage in their geographical summary as South Africa does...) But the main thing I picked up was a desire to dive into French Burgundies and Rhones a bit. My only prior exposure has been a few CNPs and one Cote Rotie. So I spent a fun couple hours at the Santa Rosa Bottle Barn (wine shop) browsing through the Burgundy and Rhone sections, and using the Corkz app on my phone to search for CT ratings for the wines I was examining. I am looking forward to letting them settle after the ride home and embarking on a voyage similar to yours. I'll let you know if I stumble across any gems. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 265
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #18 - 5/25/2013 3:58:16 AM   
S1

quote:

Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with this Burgundy, especially considering the hype surrounding the 2005 vintage. Certainly not a "Burgundy Moment".

Richard, Consensus is that 05s are in a bad place right now. 2000s and 2002s are drinking well

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 266
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 - 5/25/2013 8:44:12 AM   
grizzlymarmot

Richard

That was a great tasting note. Compare to the early ones - it is clear you know what to look for in the Burgundy's.

(in reply to budh)
Post #: 267
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #18 - 5/25/2013 9:46:56 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1
quote:

Richard, Consensus is that 05s are in a bad place right now. 2000s and 2002s are drinking well

I'd think 05's would be showing better than 08's...and 04's and 7's for that matter!

Planning to open a Lignier MSD village soon, we'll see.

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 268
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 - 5/25/2013 5:34:50 PM   
ramwines

quote:

ORIGINAL: budh

So I spent a fun couple hours at the Santa Rosa Bottle Barn (wine shop) browsing through the Burgundy and Rhone sections, and using the Corkz app on my phone to search for CT ratings for the wines I was examining. I am looking forward to letting them settle after the ride home and embarking on a voyage similar to yours. I'll let you know if I stumble across any gems. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

You may find the same problem that I'm finding in northern Nevada... the selection of Burgundy is somewhat lacking compared to the CA Pinot selection we have. I suspect our CT friends on the east coast have the opposite situation.

Agree with your Sonoma Coast comments. Many are hard to beat. I've been into Sonoma Pinots for 30+ years. Not sure I'll ever find a Burg that can stand up to some west coast juice I've enjoyed... but I'm trying.

Please feel free to add your Burgundy experiences to this thread. The more the merrier!

(in reply to budh)
Post #: 269
RE: My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 - 5/25/2013 5:36:41 PM   
ramwines

quote:

ORIGINAL: grizzlymarmot

Richard

That was a great tasting note. Compare to the early ones - it is clear you know what to look for in the Burgundy's.

I do? Not so sure about that. Consider myself a newbee when it comes to Burg. But thanks...

(in reply to grizzlymarmot)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> My Burgundy Project - Bottle #16 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI