CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Got two big pieces of news yesterday

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Got two big pieces of news yesterday Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/21/2019 11:12:18 AM   
Jenise

1) Discovered that I'm a descendant of Daniel Boone, and 2) I finally made the Cayuse mailing list. Not sure which one I'm more excited about. :)
Post #: 1
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/21/2019 11:17:45 AM   
fingers

Unless old Danny left you a good supply of Bionic Frog, I'd say the edge goes to #2

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 2
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/21/2019 12:07:15 PM   
CranBurgundy

Does this mean you'll wear a coonskin hat while drinking Flying Pig and Widowmaker?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 3
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/21/2019 12:07:40 PM   
KPB

Daniel Boone? Wow! Clearly #1 outweighs #2. Cayuse is just wine. Interesting wines, to be sure, but in fact mostly not even in my preferred style (Pegau...). But Daniel Boone? That is quite cool.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 4
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/21/2019 12:12:46 PM   
CranBurgundy

Daniel m----- f------ Boone!

(an homage to Key & Peele)

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 5
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/21/2019 12:18:42 PM   
Eddie

There are a bunch of Boone descendants around here....one of them was my next door neighbor until he passed away a couple of years back. Boonesborough (which until recently was spelled Boonesboro) is 6 miles south.

< Message edited by Eddie -- 9/21/2019 12:19:28 PM >

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 6
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/21/2019 1:06:31 PM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

There are a bunch of Boone descendants around here....one of them was my next door neighbor until he passed away a couple of years back. Boonesborough (which until recently was spelled Boonesboro) is 6 miles south.

My Boone-ness goes way back, it's actually Daniel's brother Squire who was my direct ancestor. Squire had a son Moses who had another son Squire who had a daughter Elizabeth who married a guy named Harvey and that's my lineage. And somewhere along the line those Boones had moved to a town called Boone in a county called Boone, Iowa. Everybody had 8 to 15 kids back then so they spread themselves around pretty good.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 7
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/21/2019 1:07:40 PM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Does this mean you'll wear a coonskin hat while drinking Flying Pig and Widowmaker?

Don't give me ideas...!

Post #: 8
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/21/2019 4:46:47 PM   
mtpisgah

quote:

I am a Boone’s Farm descendant. Does that count for anything? Still have not made Cayuse.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 9
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/22/2019 4:01:14 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

quote:

I am a Boone’s Farm descendant. Does that count for anything? Still have not made Cayuse.

I do believe the Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill was the first wine I ever drank. That was a long time ago....in a land far far away!

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 10
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/22/2019 5:19:34 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

quote:

I do believe the Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill was the first wine I ever drank. That was a long time ago....in a land far far away!

Same here, now that I think about it. Our church served grape juice at communion.

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 11
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/22/2019 9:48:12 PM   
Rich64N

Howdy Cousin (lots of times removed). I was about to bring up the Squire Boone thing, but see you covered it. Daniel Boone had no sons that survived to adulthood, so any relative with the Boone name (my mother's maiden name) that claims relation comes from his brother, Squire (hmm, interesting baby name). So you are also related to Pat Boone (singer - ties to Ocean Shores WA), and likely related to the Huston family (like the Hollywood producer - was Houston in Ireland, but when they went to Scotland ~1600 to avoid persecution for being Protestant they dropped the 'o" - then went to Williamsburg ~1620 - a few years after the starvation years, but just before the Mayflower). I really could be wrong on this, haven't looked at it in years, but an uncle did lots of genealogy (visited Salt Lake City) just before the Internet so I'm remembering bits and pieces

Meanwhile, my first drunk at an early age was on some Boones Farm product. I remember visiting a **** restuarant in the RP ~1987 and they had Boones Farm at a stupid price as an imported "wine."

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 12
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/23/2019 6:17:47 AM   
bacchus

How about the actor who played Paladin?

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 13
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/23/2019 9:08:10 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: bacchus

How about the actor who played Paladin?

Richard Boone, right? That would be an interesting addition--probably won't branch out left and right enough to find that out. I'll take him over Pat Boone, though!

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 14
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/23/2019 9:16:31 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rich64N

Howdy Cousin (lots of times removed). I was about to bring up the Squire Boone thing, but see you covered it. Daniel Boone had no sons that survived to adulthood, so any relative with the Boone name (my mother's maiden name) that claims relation comes from his brother, Squire (hmm, interesting baby name). So you are also related to Pat Boone (singer - ties to Ocean Shores WA), and likely related to the Huston family (like the Hollywood producer - was Houston in Ireland, but when they went to Scotland ~1600 to avoid persecution for being Protestant they dropped the 'o" - then went to Williamsburg ~1620 - a few years after the starvation years, but just before the Mayflower). I really could be wrong on this, haven't looked at it in years, but an uncle did lots of genealogy (visited Salt Lake City) just before the Internet so I'm remembering bits and pieces

Meanwhile, my first drunk at an early age was on some Boones Farm product. I remember visiting a **** restuarant in the RP ~1987 and they had Boones Farm at a stupid price as an imported "wine."

Boone's Farm would likely not have crossed my path had I not lived in Whittier, California, home of the grandest cruising boulevard in the southland. I spent a little time there! :)

Pat Boone, really? And John Huston? Well those will be neat to find. Have to admit I had zero interest in geneology (I knew I'm technically a "Daughter of the Revolution" but my family seemed a boring assortment of ex-English mutts until a week and a half ago when we found out that my husband has a sister he never knew about (mother's teenage pregnancy). Made me wonder what kind of secrets were in my own family's woodpile, so I opened an account on Ancestry.com and I'm now obsessed.

(in reply to Rich64N)
Post #: 15
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/23/2019 8:01:08 PM   
hankj

Until just right now I'd conflated Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett. Turns out they are separate people. Hmmm.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 16
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/23/2019 8:20:33 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Until just right now I'd conflated Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett. Turns out they are separate people. Hmmm.

It's okay. Those colonial guys all look alike.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 17
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/24/2019 5:58:40 PM   
skifree

Hurray, hopefully you come to WW for Cayuse release weekend and we can drink some wine together! There are normally 2-4 from our tasting group who come over for the event; always a good time to open some bottles.

So much wine, so little time

Post #: 18
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/25/2019 8:24:12 AM   
ericindc

I got on the list as well. Unfortunately, this is not what I like anymore. How flippable is this? I suspect not very.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 19
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/25/2019 9:54:16 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

It's okay. Those colonial guys all look alike.

In my mind, Dan is Kentucky, Davy is Tennessee, though those are certainly next to each other, connected by the Cumberland Gap, and often confused even in the area. One county in east TN has 2 high schools, one named after each Davy and Daniel. My connection (though not sure if its an actual family relation) is to Davy whose grandparents are buried in Rogersville, TN and very close to where my grandparents lived in town before they passed.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 20
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/25/2019 10:11:24 AM   
hankj

quote:

In my mind, Dan is Kentucky, Davy is Tennessee

I was also unaware until right now that Kentucky and Tennessee weren't the same place. But I am an ignoramus regarding that part of the USA. I know Jack Daniels, The Kentucky Derby, and The Wonderful Whites of West Virginia are all from there ;)

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 21
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/25/2019 11:24:07 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

quote:

In my mind, Dan is Kentucky, Davy is Tennessee

I was also unaware until right now that Kentucky and Tennessee weren't the same place. But I am an ignoramus regarding that part of the USA. I know Jack Daniels, The Kentucky Derby, and The Wonderful Whites of West Virginia are all from there ;)

I often use the term Back East as being a singular place as most west coasters do. Last week I went Back East and crossed 9-10 state boundaries in various parts of the Midwest and south. All the same accents and politics and history regardless back there. Back east.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 22
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/25/2019 12:41:51 PM   
Eddie

As someone who lives in KY, and once lived "back east", back east is east of I-95.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 23
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/25/2019 7:44:16 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

I got on the list as well. Unfortunately, this is not what I like anymore. How flippable is this? I suspect not very.

Correct, the bloom is off the rose. Best to buy, or not, to enjoy in the glass.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 24
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/26/2019 9:25:31 AM   
lockestep

Since I did NOT get a similar email, I'll assume the annual New Years "sorry about the wait" is in my future.
How long have you been on the list?

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 25
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 9/29/2019 8:25:19 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rich64N

Actually, you might want to know that I've learned that Daniel did have at least one son who made it to adulthood. Daniel Morgan Boone, his son, was born in 1769 and died in 1839, five years after purchasing 80 acres of land in Lexington, KY from the US Goverment--just saw the certificate of purchase signed by Andrew Jackson! Daniel Morgan had a son James, though I don't know anything yet about his survival.

And I guess T. Boone Pickens fits into "our family" somewhere too. Haven't come across it specifically but a clue is that someone has two family trees, a Boone one that's public and a Pickens one that's private.

(in reply to Rich64N)
Post #: 26
RE: Got two big pieces of news yesterday - 10/1/2019 4:41:31 PM   
ramwines

As a 14th generation Bostonian I have to go with the American lineage as most important. Besides, what did Danial Boone know about wine? Or perhaps he was part of the original Boone's Farm Apple wine adventure.

Richard in Canton, OH and La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico. Formally from Reno, NV.

The only problem with living in Mexico, my wine cellar is in Ohio.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Got two big pieces of news yesterday Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI