CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) Page: <<   < prev  65 66 67 [68] 69   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 8/29/2023 9:56:03 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Recent:

JB Neufeld : mixed case or so
Cairdeas: mixed case
Weathereye: mixed case
Kobayashi: mixed case or so
Turley: think I'll stick with Old Vines and stock up as house Zin.
Force Majeure: pass, got what I wanted back in the early summer
Amos Rose: not sure but will stick with whites only.

Jeez, our list has crept back up there.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 2011
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 8/29/2023 1:49:29 PM   
KPB

Well, I decided against Ovid. Went for the three new Tilting Rock bottlings from Abreu, but passed on the main wines (despite knowing I would love them). In fact Tilting Rock is a blend off the two main vineyards, but with the complication being that Thorevilos recently was "relocated" from the vineyard previously used for that bottling to a different one. Still, these should be interesting wines.

And I decided to update my credit card info for Cornell Winery (after all, I do teach at Cornell, and they do have that name on their bottles... no relationship, but even so), and for Kelly Fleming Winery. These were both Francoise Peschon projects, but Cornell is currently recovering from the Glass fire, while Kelly Fleming is now run entirely by Rebecca George, who was the "sous chef" last time I visited but even then was clearly in line for the full role. Francoise is now either a consultant or not involved at all -- I'm unsure.

The upshot being that I'll end up with 3x each from the new releases.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 2012
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 8/29/2023 2:45:41 PM   
Eduardo787

This is not about mailing offers but I do not know where to talk about this.

I simply do not know what I want to buy in the present and future. I am in a few mailing lists but I do not know weather I should keep buying from them to maintain status and also knowing that some of the wines will be double the price in a few years ahead. The problem for me is that I think I am buying more than what I really need, but then I have the problem of not wanting to just have a bottle or 2 of a wine that I know I love. Then I have the problem of not knowing if I should buy great second labels and not so famous brands or buy less but of much better pedigree ( at least on paper).

The problem for me is quite unique than for the rest of you, my problem is actually bringing the wines to Mexico. I wish I could buy dozens of wines and just bring them here, but I am limited to 8 bottles per adult and that is so easy to go over that I need to be extremely selective on what to buy regardless of price.

For example I do not know weather to buy a lot of the La Gravette De Certan or buy a few of the Vieux Chateau Certan. Scarecrow is next month with the Mesiour Etiene. Then Maybach comes along. I am not sure if the Mascot offering is next or I recieved it time ago and was not aware. Then the Ontogegy that for $99 is a killer but I am still reluctant to buy more. I am a little bit confused, I dont know what I want but the worst thing is that these wines are not meant to be drank early as they should be cellared for at least 7 or so years and then when time comes I do not want to be complaining about just having 3 bottles of an amazing wine that today might be $100 but in 7 years will be $200 ( the new vintage). To put it simply : I am not sure if I want a few more trophy wines or a lot of amazing wines that lack that snoby status. VCC, Trotanoy, VHR, Figeac, Sassicaia etc vs Clinet, Feytit Clinet, Lynch Bages, Ontogeny, etc.

I dont need a lot of wines, but I think I am in the perfect age of buying for cellaring and enjoy them with friends in my late 60s and early 70s. I am just unsure if buying a lot of great Bdx now makes sense and forget about buying more in the future. Unsure if I want to continue stacking up a lot of wine or go for those wines we all dream to drink when they hit the 20 year old mark.

Sorry about my writing/rant/questions/confusion, but since I only have 2 months of shipping window and I have lots of offers I would like to hear your opinions.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

Post #: 2013
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 8/29/2023 3:21:22 PM   
S1

Ed--there is a similar thread on that other forum.
Ian Dorian answered, "Easiest way to figure out if you should stay on the list-If it will cost you more in the secondary market to buy it, stay on the list.
If it will cost you less to buy it in the secondary market, drop it.."

I mostly agree (I have a couple of sentimental faves that I will continue buying no matter what). For the lists where I must buy every year or lose my place, I have only kept six. I buy from some other people as well, but can skip a vintage or two and not get booted.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 2014
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 8/29/2023 7:25:43 PM   
KPB

My view is that the world has tons of amazing wines, some from these lists, and I am thrilled to have three of some of them in excellent vintages. A few I track year to year: VHR, Pegau, Rayas. But others I’m fine with just three or six total. I’m not upset about what I don’t have because that would be such a long list. Instead I think about what to open from what I do have.

These lists are about access for me, nothing more. I don’t view wine as a status thing.

But even if Abreu or Ovid is priced competitively for what they bottle, there is this issue that at $625, I can buy three awesome bottles of something else. The new Tilting Rock wine is intriguing, so I decided to go for it. Similarly I bought Bond for a a decade or so, until the price went through the ceiling.

Do I miss them? Well, no, because I still own lots from when I was buying them. But when I drink my last a one bottle I won’t be sad. I’ll just pull a cork on something else!

Ken Birman

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2015
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 8/30/2023 4:11:29 AM   
khmark7

In October i will receive my regular club shipments from Tablas Creek and a winery in Michigan (Bel Lago), and later in the year is Maison Harbour, but I really don't have any other mailing lists. There are a few west coast wineries that I want to purchase from, but I haven't decided on anything yet. Arizona Stronghold is top of that list.....

I really don't buy wine over $100 unless it's called Krug or Pichon Baron.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 2016
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 8/30/2023 9:27:23 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

This is not about mailing offers but I do not know where to talk about this.

I simply do not know what I want to buy in the present and future. I am in a few mailing lists but I do not know weather I should keep buying from them to maintain status and also knowing that some of the wines will be double the price in a few years ahead. The problem for me is that I think I am buying more than what I really need, but then I have the problem of not wanting to just have a bottle or 2 of a wine that I know I love. Then I have the problem of not knowing if I should buy great second labels and not so famous brands or buy less but of much better pedigree ( at least on paper).

The problem for me is quite unique than for the rest of you, my problem is actually bringing the wines to Mexico. I wish I could buy dozens of wines and just bring them here, but I am limited to 8 bottles per adult and that is so easy to go over that I need to be extremely selective on what to buy regardless of price.

For example I do not know weather to buy a lot of the La Gravette De Certan or buy a few of the Vieux Chateau Certan. Scarecrow is next month with the Mesiour Etiene. Then Maybach comes along. I am not sure if the Mascot offering is next or I recieved it time ago and was not aware. Then the Ontogegy that for $99 is a killer but I am still reluctant to buy more. I am a little bit confused, I dont know what I want but the worst thing is that these wines are not meant to be drank early as they should be cellared for at least 7 or so years and then when time comes I do not want to be complaining about just having 3 bottles of an amazing wine that today might be $100 but in 7 years will be $200 ( the new vintage). To put it simply : I am not sure if I want a few more trophy wines or a lot of amazing wines that lack that snoby status. VCC, Trotanoy, VHR, Figeac, Sassicaia etc vs Clinet, Feytit Clinet, Lynch Bages, Ontogeny, etc.

I dont need a lot of wines, but I think I am in the perfect age of buying for cellaring and enjoy them with friends in my late 60s and early 70s. I am just unsure if buying a lot of great Bdx now makes sense and forget about buying more in the future. Unsure if I want to continue stacking up a lot of wine or go for those wines we all dream to drink when they hit the 20 year old mark.

Sorry about my writing/rant/questions/confusion, but since I only have 2 months of shipping window and I have lots of offers I would like to hear your opinions.

Eduardo, that would be very frustrating and a difficult decision to make. One thought that has occasionally worked for me in the past: check with your best local retailers. Some wine retailers will make custom orders for you and I would assume they have fewer restrictions on volume. That way, they might be able to buy non-mailing list exclusive wines like those from Ch. Certan and allow you to buy from fewer lists. Sure, the price might be a tick higher, but you'll still have the wine and you'll establish a relationship with a retailer, which isn't bad.

Cheers!

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2017
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 8/30/2023 2:12:08 PM   
wadcorp

I succumbed to Keplinger, but only a small order of 4 bottles.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 2018
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 8/30/2023 4:15:35 PM   
jcosindc

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

I succumbed to Keplinger, but only a small order of 4 bottles.

Phil, I haven't succumbed...yet. With luck they'll "sell out" before I change my mind. LOL!!

Cos

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 2019
RE: INCOMING!!! - 8/30/2023 9:17:56 PM   
DrBad

Anti Flavor Wine Elite, although I prefer AFWS (Snob) ;-)

If it's big it's bad, if it's over 14.5% alcohol it's bad, and if you like it, you're an ignoramos.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: etc

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah
Maybe Rivers Marie but I like their cabs more than their pinot, and since I have realized I am drawn more to AFWE style wines, I will probably pass on their pinot.

+1

Okay, please help me: what is, "AFWE?"

< Message edited by DrBad -- 8/30/2023 9:19:26 PM >

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 2020
RE: INCOMING!!! - 8/31/2023 10:15:09 AM   
recotte

Ultramarine coming next week

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 2021
RE: INCOMING!!! - 8/31/2023 12:19:06 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrBad

Anti Flavor Wine Elite, although I prefer AFWS (Snob) ;-)

If it's big it's bad, if it's over 14.5% alcohol it's bad, and if you like it, you're an ignoramos.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: etc

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah
Maybe Rivers Marie but I like their cabs more than their pinot, and since I have realized I am drawn more to AFWE style wines, I will probably pass on their pinot.

+1

Okay, please help me: what is, "AFWE?"

Parker, thinnking he was being witty, used it as a derogatory term for many of us who were trashing the Aussie Shiraz goop monsters of the early 2000s. It became a badge of honor. Ryan Zapaltas even had winery T-Shirts with AFWE printed in AC/DC font.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 2022
RE: INCOMING!!! - 8/31/2023 5:06:50 PM   
KPB

The ‘us’ aspect being that a few people who fell into this category hang out here!

Ken Birman

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2023
RE: INCOMING!!! - 8/31/2023 5:09:54 PM   
S1

like button

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 2024
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/1/2023 9:09:53 AM   
daviladc

Ojai Vineyards Yearly Case Club landed today.

Roll Ranch Syrah all day!

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2025
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/12/2023 12:02:56 PM   
jcosindc

Senegal Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve is open today.

Received notice that Hourglass has a release coming up on Sep 19: 2021 Blueline Estate Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and 36.

Most likely I'll be passing on these wines.

Cos

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 2026
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/14/2023 9:57:07 PM   
skifree

Hors Categorie 2020 email today, great reviews apparently and still only 1200 bottles per year (600 two-packs).

Leaning towards a pass at the moment despite the fabulous reviews. Wavering as it appears Cristophe's experiment has gotten very interesting....

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to jcosindc)
Post #: 2027
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/15/2023 3:29:42 PM   
Franklin 10

Pezzato has released the 2021 vintage. New-ish Napa Cab producer with vineyard on the "eastern bench of Oakville". I rebought the 3-pac of CS for this vintage and took a flier on the new (much) pricier selected barrel release.

They get lots of love on WB and the one bottle of the 3 2019s I have opened it checked all the boxes for a Napa Valley floor wine: deep dark and long with structure to last. So good.

For those decrying the overprice and unaffordable wines from Napa, but would like some in the cellar, something to check out.

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 2028
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/25/2023 8:06:44 PM   
Mr_Comorre

Just got an email update on the Tilting Rock offer from Abreu and Rothwell Hyde:

quote:

Tilting Rock is a new addition to the fall release and Rothwell Hyde is a part of the spring. That being said, we do not have a 2020 Rothwell Hyde so the next Rothwell Hyde release will take place in the spring of 2025.

Abreu Vineyards

I did order the vertical offer of Tilting Rock. Crossing my fingers all of them come under 15% ABV...

Mr_Comorre

Life is too short not to live #Italian

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 2029
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/26/2023 5:02:01 AM   
S1

The MACDONALD release is going to be ugly--only 150 case (at the most) available.
I expect greatly reduced allocations for veterans, and no room for rookies.

(in reply to Mr_Comorre)
Post #: 2030
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/26/2023 5:31:49 AM   
KPB

Beta early release is today at 11am ET / 8am PT covers most of their wines, several from sites Ketan hasn’t previously been working with. He seems to have ceased making his Vare Cabernet (the last vintage was 2019). The new Jasud vineyard wine is an especially exciting project and he plans to release his first wine off it this year too, but that release will be a bit later, on October 10.

< Message edited by KPB -- 9/26/2023 7:59:51 AM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2031
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/26/2023 2:17:52 PM   
recotte

Mail Road Wines offer arrived today, as well. I remember signing up for this based on something I had seen or read, but don't recall what it was now. In any event, passing on it, as the wines are a little pricey to take a flyer on.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 2032
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/27/2023 5:20:34 AM   
daviladc

DePonte from Willamette Valley is out. With no 2020 Baldwin Family Reserve, I passed until the 2021 vintage is released.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 2033
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/27/2023 7:13:48 AM   
KPB

Greer will release their 2021 Cabernets today (made by Aaron Potts). Should be epic...

Ken Birman

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 2034
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/29/2023 5:49:54 PM   
KPB

Dup, sorry.

< Message edited by KPB -- 9/29/2023 5:50:38 PM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 2035
RE: INCOMING!!! - 9/29/2023 6:03:55 PM   
mclancy10006

I can not decide if I should hurry or keep it ignoring emails.

My logistics are upside down. Close to grapes and far from the cellar way more used to the other way.

Mark

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 2036
RE: INCOMING!!! - 10/17/2023 9:43:36 AM   
CranBurgundy

MACDONALD limited amounts (only 150 cases total) for 2020 - release is Tuesday 10/24.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 2037
RE: INCOMING!!! - 10/17/2023 12:35:52 PM   
S1

yep

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 2038
RE: INCOMING!!! - 10/17/2023 1:42:10 PM   
KPB

nope

Ken Birman

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2039
RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) - 11/7/2023 9:55:48 AM   
S1

Lewelling Nov 14

Post #: 2040
Page:   <<   < prev  65 66 67 [68] 69   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: INCOMING!!! (mailing list offers) Page: <<   < prev  65 66 67 [68] 69   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI