CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Which wines are not for everybody ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? - 1/22/2024 2:00:28 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB
Honestly, a lot of Riesling is sweet. Around here (Fingerlakes) even the dry ones often trend sweeter over time. Forge, though, is dry.

I think it depends completely on the region, though the labelling can sometimes be irritating vague to the point where you can't always tell in advance if a Riesling will be sweet or dry. Thankfully, this is something that is gradually improving. (I like both, but even so the food pairings will likely be different, so it's good to know what you have before you open it.)

For what it's worth, the majority of Australian rieslings are (very) dry. In contrast, the (admittedly small number) of US rieslings I've tried were nearly all sweet -- even those labelled as dry seemed to have some residual sugar.

Germany is very variable, and makes both excellent sweet and dry rieslings. There are plenty of dry examples, though.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 61
RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? - 1/22/2024 4:04:07 PM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Surprised nobody has mentioned……Caymus.

Actually Caymus might be the most looked out wine for casual drinkers, non aficionados , or to simply put just easy customers. We can all bash Caymus but I guarantee many of us when we started drinking wine liked Caymus and then we disliked it down the road. It is very easy to like Caymus specially for Americans that have much more crave of sweet flavors than Europeans. I praise Caymus for being incredibly good for giving their target consumer what they want : a sweet wine. Go ahead and in a big convention, wedding, reunion, etc put in a table Caymus, Musar, Bionic Frog, Haut Brion, Canon, and whatever else you want and let people ( not wine nerd, but the avarage Joe that drinks Bud and Corona) decide which wines are finished first. For me there is no doubt the Caymus would go first. For most the only thing that matters in a wine is to be delicious regardless of structure or multiple descriptors. Caymus is the Toyota Corolla of wine.

Well said Eduardo.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 62
RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? - 1/22/2024 4:35:06 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Surprised nobody has mentioned……Caymus.

... Go ahead and in a big convention, wedding, reunion, etc put in a table Caymus, Musar, Bionic Frog, Haut Brion, Canon, and whatever else you want and let people ( not wine nerd, but the avarage Joe that drinks Bud and Corona) decide which wines are finished first. For me there is no doubt the Caymus would go first. For most the only thing that matters in a wine is to be delicious regardless of structure or multiple descriptors. Caymus is the Toyota Corolla of wine.

Some generous friends have occasionally gifted me some Caymus that I save for our annual Christmas party, when we go thru ~3 cases of my cellar. I know many will get excited when they see it among my open bottles and I've heard more than a few say something like, "Oh Caymus, I'll be sure to get some early! Wow, it's 9 years old!".

It's also why I'll have a couple of other commonly known Napa Cab names like Frank Family, Grgich, Heitz, or maybe a Dunn or Silver Oak. Those are above the bottle budget for some and they'll view them as a real treat. Having guests enjoy themselves is the whole point why my wife and I throw parties! There's plenty of other choices for the more "serious" drinkers.

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 63
RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? - 1/23/2024 12:46:13 AM   
nwinther

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: nwinther

But I can't recall or name a specific wine I had that was weird and "not for everybody". Many very intense wines (Napa Cab?) can scare away the more delicate flowers in a group, But I suppose that's sort of the point. That one probably need experience to appreciate the qualities of those wines.

I chuckled when I read this. I think big Napa Cabs are what many Americans think of as "normal," and they would say that the vast swath of "Old World" wines are what need experience to appreciate. Perspective is everything.

I've only ever had one "big" Napa Cab. They rarely make it here and most of the Napa Cab that make it here, isn't "big".
While this wine was very intense and a new favourite of mine, it most likely isn't anything that special.
However, it was a wine that my wife couldn't drink (she's not into wine but will enjoy a glass of Pinot Gris), whereas one of my good friends with a burgeoning wine interest found it terrific.

But it goes for many wines, I suspect, where high concentration will put off some people (big aussie shiraz, RdD tempranillo, Argentinean Malbec).

< Message edited by nwinther -- 1/24/2024 12:08:36 AM >

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 64
RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? - 1/23/2024 3:02:47 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365
It's also why I'll have a couple of other commonly known Napa Cab names like Frank Family, Grgich, Heitz, or maybe a Dunn or Silver Oak. Those are above the bottle budget for some and they'll view them as a real treat. Having guests enjoy themselves is the whole point why my wife and I throw parties! There's plenty of other choices for the more "serious" drinkers.

As someone who isn't from the US, and almost never gets to try Napa wines, I had Heitz and Grgich down as being among the more 'serious' producers to look out for. I guess I was wrong? I'm curious now -- who are regarded as being 'serious' producers in the Napa Valley?

Probably not a penguin

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 65
RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? - 1/23/2024 3:09:48 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

I've only ever had one "big" Napa Cab. They rarely make it here and most of the Napa Cab that make it here, isn't "big".
While this wine was very intense and a new favourite of mine, it most likely isn't anything that special.
However, it was a wine that my wife couldn't drink (she's not into wine but will enjoy a glass of Pinot Gris), whereas one of my good friends with a burgeoning wine interest found it terrific.

Likewise. Nowhere I've lived exports much US wines, and they tend to be much more expensive in export markets anyway. I got to try a few Napa wines a few years ago, and found some of them very enjoyable -- especially from more mountainous parts of the region (eg Mayacamas). There are some I'd happily buy if they were available and priced sensibly. (Neither seem likely -- when I was in Australia, they were mostly unavailable at any price. I am now in Italy and could probably find some from online stockists if I really searched hard, but at high prices.)

quote:

But it goes for many wines, I suspect, where high concentration will put off some people (big aussie shiraz, RdD tempranillo, Argentinean Malbec).

Yes, true I guess. I feel lucky that I can equally appreciate and enjoy (e.g.) a Barossa Shiraz and a Jura Ploussard -- it's precisely this diversity that interest me in wine

< Message edited by penguinoid -- 1/23/2024 3:15:11 AM >

Probably not a penguin

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 66
RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? - 1/23/2024 4:14:35 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB
Honestly, a lot of Riesling is sweet. Around here (Fingerlakes) even the dry ones often trend sweeter over time. Forge, though, is dry.

I think it depends completely on the region, though the labelling can sometimes be irritating vague to the point where you can't always tell in advance if a Riesling will be sweet or dry. Thankfully, this is something that is gradually improving. (I like both, but even so the food pairings will likely be different, so it's good to know what you have before you open it.)

For what it's worth, the majority of Australian rieslings are (very) dry. In contrast, the (admittedly small number) of US rieslings I've tried were nearly all sweet -- even those labelled as dry seemed to have some residual sugar.

Germany is very variable, and makes both excellent sweet and dry rieslings. There are plenty of dry examples, though.

What can be called "dry" depends on local rules.

In Germany, "trocken" requires at most 9g/litre of residual sugar.

In France, "sec" requires at most 4g/litre of residual sugar. Given the lack of indication of dryness of Alsace wines on the label, some time ago the Alsatians proposed that Alsace riesling had to be dry, unless it said it was vendange tardive or SGN. But there was a lot of opposition to that, and I don't think it has happened. And confusion equally surrounds other grape varieties in Alsace, especially gewurz and pinot gris. To open a pinot gris and find it off-dry, with no indication on the label, is arguably even more upsetting than with riesling.

But what we perceive as dry is more complex than residual sugar. The International Riesling Foundation set out much more complex guidelines on what was dry, based more closely on how we perceive it. Their website (drinkriesling.com) can no longer be found, but fortunately this website has preserved a copy of their guidelines. Basically what they are saying is that how much sugar relative to acid will be perceived as dry varies considerably with pH.

So, for example, a wine with a sugar to acid ratio below 1 will typically be perceived as dry, provided the pH is below 3.2. But at pH 3.5, equal sugar and acid would be perceived as medium sweet. At pH 2.8, the wine can be perceived as dry with a sugar to acid ratio even as high as 4. It should be understood that acid quantity does not translate to pH, there are other constituents in wine that modify the pH depending on the acid content. Unfortunately it doesn't say what sugar/acid ratio would be perceived as dry at pH 3.5 - perhaps dry rieslings rarely have a pH this high.

On this basis, noting that even "dry" can have a fair bit of residual sugar, we can understand that there is "dry" and there is "very dry".

Sometimes you can get a detailed chemical analysis from the wine producer, but only occasionally at sufficient level of detail to use the chart.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 67
RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? - 1/23/2024 5:10:57 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum
What can be called "dry" depends on local rules.

In Germany, "trocken" requires at most 9g/litre of residual sugar.

In France, "sec" requires at most 4g/litre of residual sugar. Given the lack of indication of dryness of Alsace wines on the label, some time ago the Alsatians proposed that Alsace riesling had to be dry, unless it said it was vendange tardive or SGN. But there was a lot of opposition to that, and I don't think it has happened. And confusion equally surrounds other grape varieties in Alsace, especially gewurz and pinot gris. To open a pinot gris and find it off-dry, with no indication on the label, is arguably even more upsetting than with riesling.

Interesting, I didn't know the two countries had different definitions of dry (sec/trocken)!

Even for wines that are always sweet, it can be confusing if you are not familiar with appellation names. Quarts de Chaume, for example, is always a sweet (Chenin blanc) wine, but doesn't always state this on the label. I could see how someone who wasn't familiar with the region might buy a bottle under the misapprehension that it's a dry wine . (I gave a bottle to a friend a few years ago, and actually had to write 'sweet wine' on the label so they wouldn't forget!)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum
But what we perceive as dry is more complex than residual sugar. The International Riesling Foundation set out much more complex guidelines on what was dry, based more closely on how we perceive it. Their website (drinkriesling.com) can no longer be found, but fortunately this website has preserved a copy of their guidelines. Basically what they are saying is that how much sugar relative to acid will be perceived as dry varies considerably with pH.

So, for example, a wine with a sugar to acid ratio below 1 will typically be perceived as dry, provided the pH is below 3.2. But at pH 3.5, equal sugar and acid would be perceived as medium sweet. At pH 2.8, the wine can be perceived as dry with a sugar to acid ratio even as high as 4. It should be understood that acid quantity does not translate to pH, there are other constituents in wine that modify the pH depending on the acid content. Unfortunately it doesn't say what sugar/acid ratio would be perceived as dry at pH 3.5 - perhaps dry rieslings rarely have a pH this high.

On this basis, noting that even "dry" can have a fair bit of residual sugar, we can understand that there is "dry" and there is "very dry".

Sometimes you can get a detailed chemical analysis from the wine producer, but only occasionally at sufficient level of detail to use the chart.

Yes, there is a very complex interplay between sweetness and acidity. At one point, Riesling producers were being encouraged to use a simple line graph showing sweetness levels (such as the one shown here) but I am not sure if that's really taken off as much as could be hoped. It's a good idea though, and would be nice to see expanded to other grapes and wine styles that can be produced at different levels of sweetness.

With the US rieslings I tried, I think part of the reason they all tasted sweet is that they were all rather low in acidity. (Oddly, since acidity is normally almost a defining feature of riesling -- I was left wondering if they'd been de-acidified!)

Also, it's interesting that they concentrate on pH as a measure of acidity. I've always read that titratable acidity is more important in terms of sensory perception of acidity. I guess pH is simpler to measure?

Probably not a penguin

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 68
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Which wines are not for everybody ? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI