CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Wine preferences: white or red for women and men

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine preferences: white or red for women and men Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/16/2009 6:18:09 PM   
dsGris

I seems like most of the men like red wine and the women prefer white.  Some women friends drink both, my wife only likes to drink whites and is very specific about the one she likes, Pinot Gris mostly and then only select ones.  She does not like any mineral taste.  I like a Pinot Blanc, some times a Riesling, but mostly I like a bold red like a Malbec or Syrah.  Pinot Noir is nice for food but sometimes to fruity for casual drinking.  I understand that tastes change, mine have gone from Cabernet to Pinot to Syrah.  I actually enjoy Tuscan reds and am buying mostly Italian and Rhone reds for future drinking, there are a lot of Bordeaux reds and whites needing attention but they are not on the top of the desire list.
Post #: 1
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/16/2009 6:29:31 PM   
annerk

I have a defnite preference for reds--unless I'm eating something that really needs a white. 

My serious wine drinking female friends (not many) prefere red.  My female friends who drink grocery store wines prefer whites.  Most of my male friends prefer beer or rum and Coke.  

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 2
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/16/2009 7:31:42 PM   
ikileo

i like to balance it out between the reds and whites. but overall i seem to enjoy my dry german rieslings the most. gimme that acid and minerals!
for my reds, i'm looking for balance especially in the flavour sense. a balance between fruit and terrior and my experience has not been that favourable since I am working with a low budget. some of the bigger new world reds are a little much for me, while old world ones are a little too 'funkified' for me. i seem to gravitate towards spanish reds that I feel have a good balance of the fruit and funk.

most of my peers pretty much drink anything. but the girls, no doubt, will drink anything with residual sugar regardless of quality.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 3
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/16/2009 7:38:28 PM   
Serge Birbrair

I wonder what red wine drinking men drink wiht oily fish.....I thought the wine preference is the subject of food and not of the sex of the drinker. 

tsk....

(in reply to ikileo)
Post #: 4
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/16/2009 9:16:52 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

Most of my male friends prefer beer or rum and Coke.  

Make mine a Jack 

me thinks this is a planted question attempting to blow up the forum  

Trying to box in the sexes is dangerous waters.
I can be equally stunned from a red or blonde or brunette or Napa Cab or white Burg or Saut (and so can mrs fingers). Though I would support the argument that it's more age-related than gender.

< Message edited by fingers -- 9/16/2009 9:26:27 PM >

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 5
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 11:41:01 AM   
dsGris

Hi all,
What I am trying to discern is why more men like to drink red and a lot of women like to drink white.  I will say that my daughter and daughter-in-law both appreciate reds, but my wife does not like the strong flavor and likes fruity whites.  She drinks two glasses to my one because they are such easy drinkers.  I agree with that, but like something that takes a little effort.  I just want feed back to satisfy my curiosity as I already know my wife's views on the subject and this is a forum for other wine lovers.
Cheers, Dennis

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 6
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 11:49:01 AM   
dsGris

In reply to Serge, we eat a lot of salmon and the wine to pair with that for me is usually a Pinot Noir, but maybe and good Riesling, not to dry, would be really nice.
We also eat a lot of Halibut, fresh from Alaska is superb, might be a use for the earthy whites sitting in the cellar.

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 7
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 11:56:43 AM   
Serge Birbrair

Here are few stats for the number crunching buffs.
What men and women prefer also influenced by the geographical location, at least in USA!

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/39-of-men-are-turned-off-on-a-first-date-if-she-requests-ice-water-only.html

What should you order on a first date?
  • 72% of women on the West Coast order red wine, 49% of East Coast women order white wine, while 21% of Midwest women prefer an ice cold beer on a first date.
  • 31% of men order wine (64% of those men order red, usually Pinot Noir, hmmm...anything to do with Sideways?) 58% of single men will skip red and order a bottle of Chardonnay if white wine is their date’s preference.
  • 75% of single women would skip sharing a bottle when wine preferences differ from their date and insist they each get their own glass.
  • Although 15% of singles order a mixed drink on a first date, the type of mixed drink varies by gender. Men prefer Gin & Tonic or Scotch on the rocks as cocktails before their meal and wine with dinner, whereas women prefer martini’s, or Cosmo’s as mixed drinks before and during dinner.
  • 39% of singles pay $25-$40 on a bottle of wine on a first date; however Texan men save the extra cash to get their shoes shined and spend only $15 dollars on a bottle on a first date.

tsk....

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 8
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 11:58:02 AM   
Serge Birbrair

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsgris

In reply to Serge, we eat a lot of salmon and the wine to pair with that for me is usually a Pinot Noir, but maybe and good Riesling, not to dry, would be really nice.
We also eat a lot of Halibut, fresh from Alaska is superb, might be a use for the earthy whites sitting in the cellar.

I used to drink PN with salmon too!...until I discovered the beauty of whites.

tsk....

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 9
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:02:36 PM   
masi3v

I guess I disagree with your two main presuppositions: that men like red/women like white and that red wines are more complex while whites require less thought (since they are largely one dimensional).

When I plan a meal, I usually start with what wine I want to drink and then decide what I should make to go with it.  When I feel particularly contemplative, I usually opt for a white--either from Alsace, Burgundy, or, increasingly, California.  I just think a winemaker can't hide in a white--you can't cover things up as easily with oak, tannin, fruit.

Don't get me wrong, I also appreciate reds, but it tends to be those that act much more like whites (Pinot Noir).

Maybe you are just drinking the wrong whites....

“Je ne peux vivre sans Champagne, en cas de victoire, je le mérite ; en cas de défaite, j’en ai besoin.” -- Napoléon Bonaparte

Blog Link:The Drunken Cyclist

Post #: 10
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:04:51 PM   
Serge Birbrair

man, you nailed it!

tsk....

(in reply to masi3v)
Post #: 11
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:12:26 PM   
annerk

The geographic location might make a difference as well.

it's been a long, hot summer here in Florida, and I really haven't wanted a whole lot of big reds as a result. I've been drinking more pinot noirs than anything, with some chardonnay mixed in, if for no other reason than that I've been earting lighter--chicken Caesar, planked salmon, grilled chicken, grilled chicken, and more grilled chicken. a cali cab just isn't going to work with any of that.

And now that I think about it, I think that often women are more likely to eat lighter fare, which would in turn suggest that they'll drink lighter wines. Maybe, just maybe that's the answer.

Young woman in restaurant on a date orders chicken. She knows nothing about wine, so she asks the server for a suggestion. S/he suggests a glass of "insert whatever wine the distributor is pushing the wine buyer for the restaurant to sell more of here" and it's a done deal. So now when the woman goes to her local Publix store, she sees the wine she had at dinner a couple weeks ago and picks up a bottle. And by habit that becomes the wine she drinks.

It's not so far fetched.

Post #: 12
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:13:58 PM   
lebanonwinelover

Speaking of Salmon, (I drink mostly big reds but trying explore more whites that have the same complexity), I am grilling some tonight marinated in soy, balsamic, garlic and Dijon and am planning to pair this with http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=721395

Also have a dry Riesling (but I don’t like my wine too “bright” ) and a white CdR . Thoughts?

"Life is short, so let's drink the good stuff now."

Post #: 13
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:21:14 PM   
Serge Birbrair

Interesting marinade, I'd have a difficulty matching it with white wine, too many strong flavors. Lighter PN, perhaps?

tsk....

(in reply to lebanonwinelover)
Post #: 14
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:22:09 PM   
Serge Birbrair

quote:

And now that I think about it, I think that often women are more likely to eat lighter fare, which would in turn suggest that they'll drink lighter wines. Maybe, just maybe that's the answer.

I say this is very plausible explanation.

tsk....

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 15
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:22:34 PM   
dsGris

When you are in a hole, quit digging!  I like good whites but they are expensive, I can live with cheap red.  That says something about me.  Cheers.

(in reply to masi3v)
Post #: 16
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:30:10 PM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: lebanonwinelover

Speaking of Salmon, (I drink mostly big reds but trying explore more whites that have the same complexity), I am grilling some tonight marinated in soy, balsamic, garlic and Dijon and am planning to pair this with http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=721395

Also have a dry Riesling (but I don’t like my wine too “bright” ) and a white CdR . Thoughts?

I think that would work very nicely with the salmon. My second choice would be the CdR. I think the Riesling might be too acidic.

(in reply to lebanonwinelover)
Post #: 17
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:33:59 PM   
Serge Birbrair

you think? What about this part:
quote:

marinated in soy, balsamic, garlic and Dijon

3 very strong and distinguished flavors, how will they cope with white?

quote:

I think that would work very nicely with the salmon. My second choice would be the CdR. I think the Riesling might be too acidic.

tsk....

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 18
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:37:15 PM   
annerk

It's a chardonnay/Viognier blend, the chardonnay will give it some body and the Viognier will balance it out. I think it would work.

In all honesty the best pairing would be a medium bodied Champagne.

Post #: 19
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 12:58:07 PM   
Serge Birbrair

lebanonwinelover, please report what you had and how well it paired with the dish. I am very curious.

Champagne? Perhaps. Not being a big lover of Champagne, I have bone dry Champagne with caviar and even Russian style herring. Works as good as vodka :)

tsk....

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 20
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 1:47:46 PM   
dsGris

We do a salmon marinade, ginger based, out of a cook book that is fantastic, you could not get it better in a restaurant.  It is our standard Christmas dinner offering for several years.  This year I will play with the wines, hopefully not too soon before grilling, it is more like poaching in a foil tray with the marinade.

< Message edited by dsgris -- 9/17/2009 1:48:54 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 3:20:10 PM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Serge Birbrair

......however Texan men save the extra cash to get their shoes shined and spend only $15 dollars on a bottle on a first date.

I guess if i was still dating i might be in demand...

...my wife turned to me last night after i opened some St. Julien Chardonnay (ehhhh)...she said "Honey...it's official...you've completely turned me into a "red" girl."

yessssssss!

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

Post #: 22
RE: Wine preferences: white or red for women and men - 9/17/2009 5:15:14 PM   
lebanonwinelover

quote:

ORIGINAL: Serge Birbrair

lebanonwinelover, please report what you had and how well it paired with the dish. I am very curious.

Just finished dinner with the salmon. Have been cooking it this way for years—the flavors appear strong but I don’t marinate the fish long, the soy sauce firms the fish up making grilling easier, the balsamic caramelizes and I don’t know what the Dijon does but, whatever it is, its good. Have never had better salmon in any restaurant and have stopped ordering it. It’s a thing of beauty.

As for the 2008 Domaine de Coussergues Vin de Pays d'Oc Chardonnay Viognier, it went fairly well. (As aside, at 12 bucks, a great QPR.) It had an oily mouth feel (which I like) which worked well with the oily fish. Maybe could have used just a little more acidity. Overall, a nice pairing.

I have a nice prosecco that would have worked but did not read annerk’s thread in time.

"Life is short, so let's drink the good stuff now."

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine preferences: white or red for women and men Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI