CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/29/2014 12:23:19 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Gorgeous place in the Yakima Canyon, horrible looking vines.  Though they did have a block of Riesling ( I think) that was well maintained, and as you can see across the street there are a half dozen of so small vineyards up this little draw above the river.  These are all non-commercial vineyards I think and this area has some large homes for wealthy fly fishermen; this section of the Yakima River between Yakima and Ellensburg is a Blue Ribbon trout river/stream.   

Anyway, I took a sample of both grapes on this site (even though the white grapes were not offered for picking) and we measured 17.5 Brix on the red, 19.0 on the white.    Not ready for a few more weeks at best and it will be a WHOLE LOT of work to get usable fruit from this block of Malbec.  Not sure if it's worth it, but FREE WINE does have a nice ring to it.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 361
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/29/2014 12:43:07 PM   
musedir

Do you think the road between the rows is wide enough?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 362
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/29/2014 2:24:45 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Do you think the road between the rows is wide enough?

No kidding. That is like 10-12 feet between the rows!

Must be nice living in wine country with an ample supply of vineyards to purchase or pick fruit. Around here everyone has horse farms, but despite new cold hardy vines you NEVER see vineyards around the area. One or two wineries, but that is about it.

I stopped by the U of I extension right outside of town here earlier in the week and introduced myself to the new director. They are short on help, so I offered my services if they need anything. Will be curious if they contact me. Ideally I would like to purchase some of their grapes if circumstances allowed.
They have been growing a large number of trial vines and an acre of Frontenac, but the large amount of winter kill and lack of funding is taking away a large part of their vines. Really amazing to see what kind of damage last years winter did to some vines. My yard just a few miles away had very little damage.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 363
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/30/2014 4:46:27 PM   
jrockman

Bottled my first vintage today, 34 bottles of 2013 Merlot from Wahluke Slope; I didn't have great expectaions and have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how it tastes.

Also crushed my first grapes for 2014, 50 lbs of Les Collines syrah, will be getting 50 lbs of cab franc from Les Collines as well, should be a couple of more weeks.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 364
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/19/2014 4:44:18 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

We bottled most of the rest of 2013 vintage this weekend.  

221 bottles of Riesling.  Had bottled about 70 bottles already for our daughter's September wedding.

249 bottles of 2013 Barbilocks, a Rhone blend with Syrah/Viognier blended with Grenache.  Ratio 53/4/43.   

25 bottles of 2013 Grenache (about 5% Syrah/V added to improve color, add a bit of depth, and better finish.)  Had bottled ~30 bottles of Grenache Rose back in the spring.

Left is about 28 and a half gallons of Syrah/Viognier that has ~3-4 % Grenache (added during topping barrel).  Should be about 125 bottles.

All tolled, 2013 vintage we produced about 725 bottles of wine.  Whew.

So, for the first time in over two years, we DON'T have a wine barrel in our family room.  I missed doing crush this year, but it's a bit of a relief too to not have a winery happening in the house.  For a while.  

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 365
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/19/2014 5:44:31 PM   
jrockman

What? No 2014 vintage for GRW?

Post #: 366
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/19/2014 5:59:00 PM   
champagneinhand

I need to pull the juice out and put in the carboy. Trying to give it a little more time on the lees. It is actually falling below 40F tonight, so maybe an early year for ice wines. I am definitely using larger cooking type growler bottles for most of this batch. Too much stuff sitting in the basement right now.

Stew and soup seasons are here though and I use a load of white wine cooking in Winter.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 367
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/20/2014 6:19:14 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrockman

What? No 2014 vintage for GRW?
No, I decided to skip to have knee replacement surgery.  I thought it was going to be October/November, now scheduled for Dec 16.   I likely could have done some wine and gotten it into resting state by then, but I'd already cancelled my fruit order.  And it's obvious I don't need any more wine anyway.

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 368
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/8/2014 5:31:58 PM   
jrockman

Pressed my cab franc this afternoon; now have almost 8 gal cab franc and almost 4 gal syrah in 2014 juice, both from Les Collines in WW; looking forward to see how it develops over the next year before bottling.

Post #: 369
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/21/2014 5:45:58 PM   
khmark7

Bottled my first wine from grapes grown in my own yard. With our late August heat & humidity I picked a little early and ended up pressing a Rosé with the "red" component coming from some mostly ripe Frontenac grapes (22 Brix). The majority of the wine was white grapes, mostly Swenson Red, Frontenac Gris, La Crosse, St. Pepin, Prairie Star, Aromella, Swenson White & Brianna in order of %.

Next year I will bottle a white wine, and maybe even a Rosé and red wine. Should also have production from at least 5-6 seedless grapes.

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 370
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/21/2014 5:57:35 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Bottled my first wine from grapes grown in my own yard. With our late August heat & humidity I picked a little early and ended up pressing a Rosé with the "red" component coming from some mostly ripe Frontenac grapes (22 Brix). The majority of the wine was white grapes, mostly Swenson Red, Frontenac Gris, La Crosse, St. Pepin, Prairie Star, Aromella, Swenson White & Brianna in order of %.

Next year I will bottle a white wine, and maybe even a Rosé and red wine. Should also have production from at least 5-6 seedless grapes.

I saw that you had a fungus thing going on! I always pre-dose my pressed juice or bought juice with a dose of the Pott Mo. You never know what was on those grapes other than yeast and such. The wine yeast is highly resistant to Pottasium Metabisulfite. Proof of this is in every bottle of white I made last year. I didn't put any Pottasium Sorbate in the wines because much sulfur was it this and I thought all yeast had been killed off. All of the bottles are now sparkling. This year got a good dose of the Pottasium Sorbate. It's still amazing to me that one miscalculation has us scrambling to recover after growing the grapes, pressing the juice and one misstep can botch or at least put a small flaw in the final product. I'm surprised that my wine didn't clarify well with the temps near freezing and the Carboy outside for 4 days. I will end up using some Sparkloid as the stuff is ready to be bottled when ready. I will degas the juice the clarify after the holidays. Some traveling and watch making in between now and then. So glad I got Mrs.CiH present early this year.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 371
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 1/16/2015 5:21:21 PM   
khmark7

Opened my first bottle of backyard Rosé. Clear dark pink color, red grapefruit aromas, nice acidity with a lemon-cranberry finish. The Frontenac grape is noticeable, but not overpowering. Shockingly drinkable and attractive looking. I certainly could have done worse with my first home grown & home made wine.

I might actually gift this wine to people I call "friends"

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 372
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 1/16/2015 5:24:42 PM   
BornToRhone

I grew some reisling grapes in my backyard here in Allen, Tx. The rows were spaced 6" apart. None survived. I drank some Dr. loosen instead.

Just sayin'

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 373
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 1/17/2015 9:24:25 AM   
dsGris

Congrats on your wine. It is nice to produce some of your own. I pop a bottle of dessert wines I made may years ago and they have survived well.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 374
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/21/2015 11:19:45 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

We finally bottled our 2013 Syrah, cofermented with Viognier with a tad of Grenache added during barrel topping. Ended up with 142 bottles.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 375
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/21/2015 12:29:08 PM   
wadcorp

Why is Jerry Garcia in your kitchen?

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 376
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/21/2015 12:53:32 PM   
dsGris

Brings back memories Chris, but my wife says I already have to many hobbies as it is. Just as I am starting to cook a bit, msGris is running me out of the kitchen. The wine room/office would work set up as a lower kitchen, all hook ups are ready. But, I have too much wine already.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 2/21/2015 12:54:11 PM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 377
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/21/2015 1:02:09 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Why is Jerry Garcia in your kitchen?

Jerry's sister runs a tie dye business out of her kitchen... https://www.etsy.com/shop/upanddyed#

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 378
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/21/2015 1:10:21 PM   
mtpisgah

It. Looks tasty. Are you bottling and corking the bottles by hand?

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

Post #: 379
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/21/2015 1:53:12 PM   
PinotPhile

Great shirt. Someone looks like they are having a wonderful time.

Cheers!

Post #: 380
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/21/2015 2:19:42 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

It. Looks tasty. Are you bottling and corking the bottles by hand?

Below is our corking machine. Sanbri french made mid 20th century, bought on e-bay for ~$50 I think. We've corked over 2000 bottles with it over 5 vintages and it's still going strong. A rather ingenious mechanism where one level pushes the cork forward and compresses it, the second lever pushes a piston that inserts it into the bottle. Bottle height can be adjusted from 375s up to magnums. With Barb running the filler (siphon tube with hose clamp you see me holding above as I started the siphon) and me shuffling carboys, bottles, boxes, and corking, we can bottle about 6 cases an hour.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/21/2015 2:21:14 PM >

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 381
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/21/2015 3:08:36 PM   
BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

We finally bottled our 2013 Syrah, cofermented with Viognier with a tad of Grenache added during barrel topping. Ended up with 142 bottles.

If that's the size of each of those 142 bottles, oh my!

Post #: 382
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/1/2015 3:40:50 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Believe it or not, 2015 wine making is about to begin in my house.   A work contractor buddy wants some cherry wine and has  some trees in his family, and since I've done that before, I'm happy to do so again.  Since that fruit is ripe in June, it can get made and bottled before any grapes get ripe, even though I don't have any definite plans yet for making grape wine later this year.

I talked to him today since I've heard rumors of ripe cherries and yes some varieties are coming in.   His Bings will be ready ~ June 20, Rainiers likely same time frame.  He asked me how many tons I needed.   Unfortunately I told him only have ability to do a few hundred pounds of each, I need to figure out more exactly how much I think I would like to do, but it will for sure be in pounds, not tons or my wife really will kill me.

I am really interested to see how a Rainier wine will press out and hopefully flavors and color will be something appealing.   This should be fun playing with someone else's "free" fruit.

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 383
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/2/2015 7:31:34 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Believe it or not, 2015 wine making is about to begin in my house.   A work contractor buddy wants some cherry wine and has  some trees in his family, and since I've done that before, I'm happy to do so again.  Since that fruit is ripe in June, it can get made and bottled before any grapes get ripe, even though I don't have any definite plans yet for making grape wine later this year.

I talked to him today since I've heard rumors of ripe cherries and yes some varieties are coming in.   His Bings will be ready ~ June 20, Rainiers likely same time frame.  He asked me how many tons I needed.   Unfortunately I told him only have ability to do a few hundred pounds of each, I need to figure out more exactly how much I think I would like to do, but it will for sure be in pounds, not tons or my wife really will kill me.

I am really interested to see how a Rainier wine will press out and hopefully flavors and color will be something appealing.   This should be fun playing with someone else's "free" fruit.

I've noticed that Rainier cherries oxidize pretty quickly when the flesh is exposed to air. What color does Rainier wine take? In my mind, it could be a brownish-orange...hopefully that's not the case!

Cheers!

Post #: 384
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/2/2015 9:47:54 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

I've noticed that Rainier cherries oxidize pretty quickly when the flesh is exposed to air. What color does Rainier wine take? In my mind, it could be a brownish-orange...hopefully that's not the case!
Yeah, even bruising leads to quick browning.  I'll try to be gentle pre crush, crush quickly with plenty of sodium metabisulfite added as a I go, and ferment in closed containers with air locks.   I'm hoping for a golden orange, but we'll find out in about a month to six weeks I guess.  

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 385
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/2/2015 3:06:51 PM   
champagneinhand

Let's just say that all of last years batch is going to become brandy. Crazy tolerant local yeast. I must remember to kill it off prior to harvest. Or at least as much as possible with a spray of double strength wine sulfur. I won't see fruit in my vineyard except two vines of Chardonnay and one of PG, which will just be smacked on as fruit. Two years before the Riesling vines start pumping out the fruit.

I don't think I will make wine this year. There really is no place to put it.

Post #: 386
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/2/2015 6:41:53 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

Let's just say that all of last years batch is going to become brandy. Crazy tolerant local yeast. I must remember to kill it off prior to harvest. Or at least as much as possible with a spray of double strength wine sulfur. I won't see fruit in my vineyard except two vines of Chardonnay and one of PG, which will just be smacked on as fruit. Two years before the Riesling vines start pumping out the fruit.

Rather the opposite here. Good chance that I will make a red wine (Frontenac, Marechal Foch, Sabrevois, St. Croix, Marquette, Chelois), white wine (La Crosse, St. Pepin, Brianna, Seyval Blanc, Vidal Blanc, Swenson White, Prairie Star, Kay Grey & Aromella) & Rosé (Frontenac Gris, Swenson Red, Alpenglow, St. Vincent), probably in 3-5 gallon carboys but I am also looking into a 3 gallon barrel just for fun. Additionally I will be making grape jelly from my Bluebell, Beta and King of the North vines. Merlot, Cabernet Franc & Tannt I am undecided.

As you can see I have choices to be made in the fall about times to pick and fermenting batches and blending.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 387
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/2/2015 9:26:40 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

Rather the opposite here. Good chance that I will make a red wine (Frontenac, Marechal Foch, Sabrevois, St. Croix, Marquette, Chelois), white wine (La Crosse, St. Pepin, Brianna, Seyval Blanc, Vidal Blanc, Swenson White, Prairie Star, Kay Grey & Aromella) & Rosé (Frontenac Gris, Swenson Red, Alpenglow, St. Vincent), probably in 3-5 gallon carboys but I am also looking into a 3 gallon barrel just for fun. Additionally I will be making grape jelly from my Bluebell, Beta and King of the North vines. Merlot, Cabernet Franc & Tannt I am undecided.

As you can see I have choices to be made in the fall about times to pick and fermenting batches and blending.

You will be known as the master mixologist.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 388
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/26/2015 10:37:33 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Well, cherry season arrived quickly this year, my buddy's Bings got some mold damage, so I told them if they got rejected by the processors even, they probably would not want the moldy wine they'd produce either, but Rainiers did well, so we nixed dark red cherries and just went with Rainiers.  Not sure how the harvest and sorting worked exactly , but I picked up 18 15 pound boxes, 270 pounds total, a week ago Thursday evening in an undisclosed location.  Beautiful fruit labeled Cat 1's, we think there might be a higher grade, because there was some bruising and damaged fruit but not much.  

My destemming crew got busy last Friday morning, and I tried a few methods of manually crushing before settling on using a small Cuisinart food processor.   Lots of small 1 pound or so batches, but I added a cup or so of sugar/sodium metabisulfite /peptic enzyme stew to each batch for preservation and pulp breakdown without losing Brix.  Fruit was right at 21 Brix (pretty damn sweet), and this is what the finished mash/must maintained.  Pits stayed with the mash and a  few may have broken, but flavor does not seem at all affected.  Took us about 4 hours to get it all processed and another 4 hours cleaning the sticky off the kitchen sink, countertop, floors, and walls.

Ended up with around 35 gallons of cherry mash, nice bright yellow/gold color of cherry flesh with flecks of red from the skins.

I threw the yeast on last Saturday and things took a while to get rolling.  First one out of seven carboys that I used as my "mother" batch to eventually get the others rolling.  This was this past Tuesday, the pink from the red parts of the skins created a lovely shade of peach/pink. 

All the goop and pits seemed like it was hindering fermentation, mostly floating on top, some sinking, some mixing with juice, so yesterday I started siphoning off free juice, which has created some interesting different shaded batches, all in varying stages of fermentation, but the clarified batches are rolling along pretty fastly as of this morning.    I decanted more since this photo and now have about 22 gallons of semi-clear must/wine, and probably will get another 5 gallons or so when I squeeze off the rest of the pumice.   This stuff is too goopy for a wine press, so I got some nylon mesh and sieve at the brewer supply today to do more separation tonight.

Not sure what this stuff will taste like, so far lots of sweet cherry juice and yeast flavors in sampling/siphoning, but I'm pretty happy with the color, and I'll deal with sugar levels later when I've got a dry wine isolated and clear.   Should be around 12-13% alcohol and maybe 10-11 cases of wine.  Not sure what size or style bottles to use, but that's the friend/customer's call, I need to let him know that I guess. 

Post #: 389
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/26/2015 5:56:13 PM   
jrockman

Sweet cherry wine, so very fine
Drink it right down
Pass it all around
So stimulating, so intoxicating
Sweet cherry wine
Drink it with your brother
Trust in one another, yeah, yeah
He gave us sweet cherry wine
Sweet cherry wine
Drink it right down
Pass it all around
People don't you know the cup is running over

Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI