CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 12/29/2016 5:51:53 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: arthrovine

Looks great Chris. But I'm terrified as to what threw your love seat sideways....

OR

TOP 10 EXPLANATIONS AS TO CHRIS' LOVESEAT SIDEWAYS

Monster off the kitchen
Hanging 10 dude, while couch surfing
Vestibular problem
Building a fort to defend against wild and dangerous kids, grand kids, and other little ones
Lost the damn TV remote
Earthquake
That room is used as a (to get) air bnb.....

Ha! I forgot to explain that! But yeah all of those reasons make sense, I like the air bnb one best. The real reason is that it was taking space in the "winery" and with five barrels in residence, it's now on its way to the home for wayward sofas. Just hasn't made it all the way out the door.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to arthrovine)
Post #: 421
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 12/29/2016 7:11:44 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: arthrovine

TOP 10 EXPLANATIONS AS TO CHRIS' LOVESEAT SIDEWAYS

Monster off the kitchen
Hanging 10 dude, while couch surfing
Vestibular problem
Building a fort to defend against wild and dangerous kids, grand kids, and other little ones
Lost the damn TV remote
Earthquake
That room is used as a (to get) air bnb.....

Low gravity anomaly
Performance Art piece
Keep the ever-shedding pets off the furniture
Vacuuming OCD

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to arthrovine)
Post #: 422
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/6/2017 10:34:02 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Sofa is gone from my foyer!

In wine making related news, I was having stubborn Syrah and Sangiovese with the malolactic fermentation not happening, and I had some old (maybe 2015, maybe older than that) ML culture pouches in my wine fridge. I expected them to be DOA, and there was not enough to inoculate 3 barrels anyway, so a wine friend suggested apple juice as a starter/incubator to grow more quickly. I added them to a non-alcoholic apple cider ~ two weeks ago, had given up and was going to buy more ML pouches last weekend, but my supplier was out. Before I went back to buy this weekend, I came home last Friday to this...

I separated this into a couple of batches added in some new wine of each variety for acclimation for a day, then pitched it all into my barrels last evening. I tasted it before pitching into the wine barrels and it really no longer resembled apple juice at all, very mellow acids, and lots of suds. Not primary in any way, so I'm hopeful this jumpstart will work and will be a nice trick for future vintages to save on ML culture starters.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 423
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/7/2017 7:10:10 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Bump! Gearing up for 2017!

The ML trick worked on my '16s and they all resting in barrel or glass.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 6/7/2017 7:30:29 PM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 424
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/8/2017 4:06:52 AM   
musedir

A boy and his toys...

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 425
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 6/8/2017 5:37:42 AM   
khmark7

Bottled my Rose & white wines from last fall already and still have my 3 different red wines in carboy (mostly). There are assorted bottles on my basement floor, a few of which i'm not sure what they are.

Early recon suggests that i may actually be able to vinify a full gallon of Merlot/Cab Franc/Cab Sauvignon this fall, or at the least make another Bordeaux blend grape jelly (was quite good last year)

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 426
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/21/2017 4:04:43 AM   
khmark7

Bottled my 2016 red made from California purchased grapes, two blends including Zinfandel, Petit Sirah & Malbec. Both bottlings turned out quite good, although i'm not convinced that Malo happened on the one carboy. Will need to look into purchasing cultures in the future, although i've never prior had to worry about this.

Chris, when do you typically culture the container with Malo?

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 427
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/21/2017 8:45:54 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Bottled my 2016 red made from California purchased grapes, two blends including Zinfandel, Petit Sirah & Malbec. Both bottlings turned out quite good, although i'm not convinced that Malo happened on the one carboy. Will need to look into purchasing cultures in the future, although i've never prior had to worry about this.

Chris, when do you typically culture the container with Malo?

Hi Karl, I usually wait, wait, wait to see if it happens on it's own. Last year it was February (of 2017) before I added the culture. I've always picked up the live culture in pouch form but my shop in Yakima hasn't had them in stock lately. I just asked the other day when I was there buying my gear supplies for this harvest, and none there now. Wy'east is the brand I've used. A pouch will start a carboy, maybe two or three with blending. And like I did last year, a batch of apple cider can make a large mother culture. I might order online. In fact, I think I will order a few pouches now... https://www.amazon.com/Wyeast-Lactic-Blend-Liquid-Culture/dp/B01377S5QI/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1506008567&sr=8-3&keywords=malolactic

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 9/21/2017 8:46:16 AM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 428
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/26/2017 3:24:30 PM   
khmark7

So today my local brew shop is offering grapes from California & Washington.

Already have ordered.
Alicante Bouchet
Syrah

Petite Verdot
Merlot

So does anybody have experience with Sangiovese or Barbera?? Do these grapes go well in any blends, or does anybody have experience with the vinification of these grapes? I don't drink a lot of either.

Post #: 429
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/26/2017 6:12:10 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

I've never made sangiovese but I've generally liked the Wa bottlings - more fruit, less earthiness than chianti

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 430
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/27/2017 10:31:25 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Already have ordered.
Alicante Bouchet
Syrah

Petite Verdot
Merlot

So does anybody have experience with Sangiovese or Barbera?? Do these grapes go well in any blends, or does anybody have experience with the vinification of these grapes? I don't drink a lot of either.

I've made Sangio twice, in 2012 and 2016. Will pick it again in about 10 days. Barbera I made once in 08 or 09 from scavenged grapes. We picked free with permission at Cascade Cliffs in mid November and got maybe 100 pounds. My Sangio both times has been a middle of the road Red, not too tanninc, not too acidic, and both times I've gotten some Reduced sulfur following fermentation. Corrected it pretty easily by plenty of aeration during racking.

The Barbera was my first batch of Red wine in buckets and I don't recall any particular issues with production, but the final wine was very acidic, unlikely it went through ML, but over the years it calmed down, and is almost drinkable. Most has gone into pasta sauces and I think I'm down to 2-3 bottles of that one.

My 2012 Sangio is long gone, my 2016 is still in a barrel. I've been topping it with Syrah, since that's what I have, so that is a bit of blending.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 9/27/2017 1:01:15 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 431
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/27/2017 12:53:29 PM   
dsGris

WA Sangio is one of my favorites, though some comment that it is not typical of the grape and not as good as the real thing from Italy. I'd go for it Karl, but I like a high acid wine.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 432
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/27/2017 6:24:33 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

WA Sangio is one of my favorites, though some comment that it is not typical of the grape and not as good as the real thing from Italy. I'd go for it Karl, but I like a high acid wine.

I can purchase Sangio from either Washington or California. Very tempted.

So far i have ordered.

Vat of Grenache juice (6 gallons) to be fermented with Syrah (likely whole cluster)

Petite Sirah + Merlot (actual grapes to be pressed & fermented on the skins)

Alicante Bouchet + Zinfandel (actual grapes to be pressed & fermented on the skins)

Two lugs of Sangio would cost around $90 and yield about 3 gallons....about 15 bottles.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 433
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/4/2017 3:07:22 PM   
khmark7

Anybody have experience with amount of oak cubes per gallon of juice for how long with Grenache or Sangiovese?

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 434
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/20/2017 5:00:24 PM   
khmark7

Bump.....still curious for any Sangiovese advice. Percentage of new oak to recommend?

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 435
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/21/2017 7:32:52 PM   
AfleetAlex

quote:

Bump.....still curious for any Sangiovese advice. Percentage of new oak to recommend?

7 cubes per gallon or 34 cubes per 5 gallon. Cheers!

< Message edited by AfleetAlex -- 11/21/2017 7:34:55 PM >

Trying to amass a dope wine collection to leave to Child #1, 2 and 3, while drinking a little along the way.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 436
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 2/26/2018 10:09:34 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Yesterday we officially hit the tipping point. More wine in bottle from home production than purchased wine in our CT tracked cellar. This stack are wines made from fruit we grew, 2017 whites, 2016 reds. About 74 cases in all.

EDIT: photo removed due to enormous sizing. Not sure what I'm doing with Imbb.com that dictates whether photo will look correct scale when linked.. or not.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/26/2018 10:12:32 AM >

Post #: 437
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 4/4/2018 3:29:05 PM   
khmark7

Bottled my 2017 red wine from the grapes in my yard. 2 batches, kind of meh.... Need to get my crop levels under control and will oak the wine in a similar way i am oaking my California grapes and see how that helps. The vines have a tendency to massively over crop.

Post #: 438
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/13/2018 5:54:15 PM   
khmark7

My bottled wines from last year are all drinking rather well....except my white wine from the fall sucks. Although.....i did bottle a sparkling Frontenac Gris and it is actually rather good!! The grapes included are Frontenac Gris, Prairie Star, Lacrosse, Aromella, Swenson Red, Swenson White and Vidal Blanc. I might actually give this to people, to people i like!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 439
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/11/2018 6:15:06 PM   
khmark7

Found a store in Chicago that has Sangiovese and Barbera grapes for sale. Woot! Gonna pick me up about 100 lbs of each.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 440
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/7/2019 6:02:13 PM   
khmark7

Gahhhhh! Just realized that my 2018 Barbera/Sangiovese blend has the awful fizz......any idea what causes this in bottle? Wine doesn't taste awful but it's subdued and fizzy at first. Am guessing acetobacter but not sure.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 441
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/8/2019 2:23:34 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I've had that happen for a few reasons...

1. not yet fully fermented, RS takes off again after a slumber period in the bottle/carboy/barrel.
2. Some contamination of the cork during bottling. Again might need a sugar source to really get going without oxygen, but type of spoilage could be any number of things.

Solutions, better sterilization of all equipment and corks and sterile filter the wine before bottle. I have used a mini-jet with sterile #3 or #1 (I can never remember which way their scale goes) filter pads.

I will also say this might not have affected every bottle. I had a gewurz (2017 I think) that was half good half bad, depending on the cork type used.

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 8/8/2019 2:24:59 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 442
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/10/2019 3:43:07 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

I've had that happen for a few reasons...

1. not yet fully fermented, RS takes off again after a slumber period in the bottle/carboy/barrel.
2. Some contamination of the cork during bottling. Again might need a sugar source to really get going without oxygen, but type of spoilage could be any number of things.

Solutions, better sterilization of all equipment and corks and sterile filter the wine before bottle. I have used a mini-jet with sterile #3 or #1 (I can never remember which way their scale goes) filter pads.

I will also say this might not have affected every bottle. I had a gewurz (2017 I think) that was half good half bad, depending on the cork type used.

I remember that Gewruz Chris. I stored the bottles upright, so i doubt the cork was an issue, although i cannot rule it out. I tasted the wines prior to bottling and they didn't appear to have any RS, but maybe??? I decided to open up the remaining bottles from the above said carboy and all had developed a rather intense fizz.....and while they didn't taste awful, they were subdued so i dumped them all.

I will test some more bottles from other lots tonight. I did have a 3 gallon carboy from 2017 that developed a slight fizz once bottled, but it didn't really effect the taste and i am still drinking the remaining bottles just fine.

Have you felt that the mini-jet filtration system effected the wine in any negative ways?

Post #: 443
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/22/2019 11:57:06 AM   
khmark7

2019 backyard red wine turned out rather pleasant, surprisingly. It's not the rose' i had planned, but very very drinkable. Upfront fruity Mulberry accents, and quite simple. Since i only ended with 2 gallons (my usual is around 5 gallons) i will blend in some grapes that i purchase from California and make this my Nouveau bottling for the year. Probably use some Sangiovese or Grenache to compliment the majority Frontenac.

Carboy sizes are 3, 5 & 6 gallons. So you need a full container.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 444
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 5/14/2020 4:20:05 PM   
khmark7

The joys of winemaking..... Purging some older vintages and some bottles that went bad. Need to free up some bottles that can be cleaned and used for my California wines i made last fall. Will perhaps bottle some wines this upcoming weekend since.....quarantine. Might at well be productive.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 445
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI