CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/13/2012 5:22:05 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Received my antique grape press last week. Today i just ordered a grape crusher. Slowing getting the equipment together....
What did you get karl?  I'm probably going to get one soon.  My wine shop have a couple of different models they can order and I've been looking at this one... http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/8056/103037/Italian_Crusher_Destemmer_-_Manual_Painted_

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 151
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/13/2012 5:38:07 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

Received my antique grape press last week. Today i just ordered a grape crusher. Slowing getting the equipment together....
What did you get karl?  I'm probably going to get one soon.  My wine shop have a couple of different models they can order and I've been looking at this one... http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/8056/103037/Italian_Crusher_Destemmer_-_Manual_Painted_

That seems like a good price Chris. I purchased a small crusher (not a destemmer) from Mountain Home Brew. I will have to destem everything by hand, but i'm working with smaller lots that yourself.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 152
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/16/2012 2:47:24 PM   
ckinv368

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

That stain is going to be impossible to get out of your bathtub.

Hahaha!! Very true. Actually am using the tried-and-true Rubbermaid Brute trashcan approach right now, and it's working pretty well.

So cold-soaked the cab for roughly 10 days. Got it down to the mid 40s, then allowed it to warm up on its own to 56 degrees. Fermentation just started spontaneously as of yesterday evening, and it went from 22.5 brix to about 20.2, even though it was pretty chilly. Formed a nice thick cap for sure. So punched it down, innoculated it with two different types of commercial yeast (D-21, and R-15 I believe?), and will add malo bacteria in a day or so. Will also mix in a bit of toasted oak chips to give it some of the same characteristics of being barrel fermented. Some day would love to get an old barrel and use it as an open-top fermenter, but until that day this is what I've got to deal with. Will be somewhat interesting to see what taste profiles the three (or more) different yeast types will produce.

Now after fermentation is all finished I've ordered a bear-proof 20-gallon food-grade trashcan with a air-tight lid that I'm going to use to do post-fermentation warm maceration. Will be perfect to put an air lock in to. Will keep that airtight with CO2 and the locking lid for a good amount of time post-fermentation in an attempt to keep the wine on the skins for as long as traditional "old world" bordeaux producers used to do. Then, of course, pressing and aging will commence.

Will be interesting to see how the cab turns out different from the cab floydtp is making out of the exact same grapes. Think it will be a super interesting exercise either way (even if mine strips paint off of cars due to excessive tannin).

As for pressing---built a home-made wine press and it actually works pretty well. Will modify it slightly before using it to press the cab, but works without much of an issue, which is nice. No renting for me anymore!!

As for the pinot floydtp and I are jointly making---it's definitely overly-acidic right now, but I think that will decrease over time with cold stabilization and malo kicking in. Am hopeful it'll be an interesting little wine. Fermentation got a bit stuck around 6 brix (probably didn't help we whole-berry fermented), so restarted and now it seems that all is pretty well on that front and headed straight to being completely dry. Will likely rack off of the gross lees this weekend.

More adventures in winemaking for sure. Certainly a fun hobby, and gives you a significant appreciation for the wine you drink on a daily basis.

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 153
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/16/2012 5:47:01 PM   
champagneinhand

Trash cans are scary! CiS uses food quality bags as inserts to the cans, or at least that's what I thought he told me. I have seen some plastics that I wouldn't want to put any food product into and sure wouldn't add any ethanol to the mix, as it has a way of breaking down many plastics.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 154
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/17/2012 11:15:08 AM   
ckinv368

Luckily these are rated for food storage, are food-grade plastic, and are non-leaching. They're even ok with acidic materials. Same with the bear-proof trash can. Same food-grade plastic that is allegedly non-leaching. Now would I keep wine in there for months and months and months? Probably not (due to the fact plastic is much more porous than glass and allows oxygen in). But hopefully it will be ok in the short term for fermentation purposes. Basically the same plastic as the 8 gallon fermentation buckets I got from a local winemaking supply store. Just a bit bigger.

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 155
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/17/2012 12:24:17 PM   
musedir

from today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
Q: I have a Riesling grape and was wondering what conditions are needed for growing one. XXXXXXXXXX, Atlanta

A: Riesling grapes do not grow well here. Summer heat and various fungal diseases wipe out the vines before one gets a harvest. Recommended white wine grapes for Georgia include 'Seyval Blanc', 'Norton', 'Vidal Blanc', 'Villard Blanc' and 'Aurora'. For details on selecting and growing bunch grapes see xrl.us/bunchgrapes.

I just don't know what to say... I am sure there are several wise ones in Atlanta who can speak to the wine grown from these grapes.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 156
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/18/2012 5:22:21 PM   
floydtp

Christening the newly built Frankenpress tonight. ckinv built a homemade press that we used to press our Pinot a few weeks ago which inspired me to build a press of my own.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 157
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/18/2012 11:24:39 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Very impressive!  Is that your dining room?    My wife says I shouldn't laugh because I do that too.

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 158
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/18/2012 11:36:52 PM   
floydtp

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Very impressive!  Is that your dining room?    My wife says I shouldn't laugh because I do that too.

Yeah, that is the area formerly known as our dining room also our entry way. Since it is the one area that is sectioned off from our little ones, it gets repurposed quite often.

Post #: 159
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/19/2012 9:16:35 AM   
dsGris

One day I said to TW there is a perfect place in the living room for a Ducati. They are a work of art no less! Needless to say no Ducati.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 160
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/19/2012 10:10:27 AM   
musedir

--- funny you should say this. This is an artist I am working with on a project.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 161
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/21/2012 2:08:13 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

from today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
Q: I have a Riesling grape and was wondering what conditions are needed for growing one. XXXXXXXXXX, Atlanta

A: Riesling grapes do not grow well here. Summer heat and various fungal diseases wipe out the vines before one gets a harvest. Recommended white wine grapes for Georgia include 'Seyval Blanc', 'Norton', 'Vidal Blanc', 'Villard Blanc' and 'Aurora'. For details on selecting and growing bunch grapes see xrl.us/bunchgrapes.

I just don't know what to say... I am sure there are several wise ones in Atlanta who can speak to the wine grown from these grapes.

Those grapes produce good wine, although growing grapes in Georgia is very difficult. Maybe up in the northern hills?

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 162
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/23/2012 6:37:24 PM   
khmark7

I had a dream about purchasing some cheesecloth.....

Anyway, new grape crusher is in the house. Looking forward to using it next fall.

I have friends who purchased a lake house on an island in the middle of Lake Minetonka just outside Minneapolis. When i was up there i was giving them ideas on where to plant grapes and the whole theory about what grapes would grow well considering the lake affect and perfect location. Next year i might be helping them out. Probably plant some grapes for juice/table grapes.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 163
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/23/2012 7:09:43 PM   
champagneinhand

Do you use a mesh bag when you press your grapes? This goes out to all who press. This will be my first year basket pressing any grapes and I do have a mesh bag, but didn't know if it was necessary.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 164
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/23/2012 7:14:35 PM   
khmark7

I will try a few different things next year when i press grapes for juice/jelly.

Trying to decide how to press white grapes for jelly production. Ideally i would like some skin contact to impart more flavors, so i was thinking a cold soak after a trip through the crusher and before the press.

Post #: 165
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/23/2012 7:17:12 PM   
champagneinhand

I would definitely concur with that. Make sure you harvest right at sunrise to maximize the flavor concentration in the grapes. Also be sure to use cold filtered water to soak in. You don't want any excess chlorine or fluoride.... to screw with your skins.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 166
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/23/2012 7:47:20 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

I would definitely concur with that. Make sure you harvest right at sunrise to maximize the flavor concentration in the grapes. Also be sure to use cold filtered water to soak in. You don't want any excess chlorine or fluoride.... to screw with your skins.

Cold filtered water?? You add water to the juice? I was planning on crushing the grapes and letting them sit in the refrigerator for 6-12 hours before pressing.

Post #: 167
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/23/2012 7:58:03 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

Cold filtered water?? You add water to the juice? I was planning on crushing the grapes and letting them sit in the refrigerator for 6-12 hours before pressing.

I thought you were going to pick the clusters and place them in a large bucket, then pour the cool water over them for a 15-20 minutes soak to remove any residual dirt, spray.... It's quite common for jams and jellies. I do it for raspberries and blueberries almost every time I do jellies from the back yard. I might even have lingering bird feces that I would be happy to have soak off my berries... Damn birds.

However you like to do it. I wouldn't scrub each berry cluster but I don't think a refrigerated gallon of water over your berries hurts at all. Buy all means, drain the water before crushing.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 168
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/28/2012 4:59:14 AM   
champagneinhand

Harvested some Frontenac Gris because the pesky birds were robbing me blind. I think they will become Jelly.

. Color is way off, but they are gray grapes.

Post #: 169
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 8/31/2012 11:32:46 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

I was getting antsy since I've been seeing rumbling of folks harvesting here soon, at least at the hot sites, and I hadn't heard anything from "my" vineyard yet.  So, I sent a note to my vineyard goddess, and got this repsonce.

quote:

Hi Chris:

Ripening is coming along - we are still going through veraison in some varieties

so we won't test till we have total veraison and at least 19 brix.  I would think

around the 20/25 of Sept at the earliest.   I'll keep in touch.  BTW  remember we are at

1200 elevation which is 400 above the highest at Red Mountain (800) so we
normally ripen later.

I also noticed looking through my earlier e-mails that these folks will do crushing and destemming of reds for an extra $0.25/pound.  I still haven't acted on a crusher/destemmer and depending on how things play out, that may be the way I go this year.  I've got a total of about 750 pounds of grapes on order, somewhere between four and six fermentations to set up, depending on my ability/desire to co-ferment a field blend or two, and I have lots of other equipment to get ready without investing in a crusher with a destemmer.  

The good news for me is that I won't need to plan to crush until mid-October at the earliest.   We have lots of other things going on between now and then and a sticky dining room or foyer wouldn't make the mrs. too happy.

What's happening in Texas???

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 8/31/2012 11:55:30 AM >

Post #: 170
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/11/2012 2:02:05 PM   
champagneinhand

Okay, its been about 6 month since bottling this Syrah blend, and blend is being nice.

I decided to pop and see how the wine was progressing. I forgot how funky some Syrah can be when you open it, and boy was this funky! Smelled of old socks and sweaty armpits, with the farmy horse poop for about 10 minutes. I used a mesh filter just in case and glad I did as there was some sediment, but not bad. It's been 30 minutes and what do you know? No more funk, but tremendous amount of fruit shooting throughout the room. Loads of blackberry, red cherry, pomegranate... I will wait a bit more than dive in. Mrs.CiH, the nurse can give me cpr if all goes horribly wrong. The corked was barely stained dark pink, so this is young! Decent looking stuff though. If you don't hear from me again, then assume I accidentally poisoned myself. Bottoms up!

Post #: 171
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/12/2012 9:57:57 PM   
champagneinhand

Okay I didn't die or go blind, but there is a weird twang to the wine, and I am thinking that the small infusion of pomegranate wine, may not have been a wise choice. It could be that because my fermenting got stuck that it was over exposed to oxygen from too much racking. At least it still can be used for cooking, but I'll wait a year before trying the next bottle. I'm also not very happy about how light colored the juice is. I guess that's what you get buying bulk juice from somewhere in California. I should have drank the juice straight as it was really tasty straight from the 5 gallon cold drum. A white for sure this year and hopefully I can still score some grapes from a local FL source. The nice cool nights may actually bring out the boytris soon as the humidity at 64F is at 74%. My dehumidifies in the basement are going full bore when I open the windows at night to bring in fresh air. The HVAC system pulls air from upstairs into te basement and a vent down there pushes the water logged air into my basement. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Post #: 172
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/15/2012 8:14:48 PM   
khmark7

How is harvest going out west?  Still too early?

Post #: 173
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/17/2012 8:48:30 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

How is harvest going out west?  Still too early?

Many Washington vineyards are picking, particularly in the hotter AVA's, Wahluke and Red Mountain, through I was a bit baffled that where I slept Sat night on RM still had everyhing hanging (I think).   I sampled the chardonnay next to our tent and it was pretty sweet, but my tongue isn't very well calibrated to Brix, so who knows for sure on those.

I did get a report from "my" vineyard today.  I've highlighted the varietals I have on order.

Brix tests for 9/15/12:

Varietal                                    Brix           pH         Seeds %          Est Harvest Date
Riesling                                   16.5        2.79            33                  ?
Semillon                                  18.0        3.07            60                  10/15
Chardonnay                             19.2        3.19            50                  10/15
Viognier                                   17.0        2.94            50                    ?

Pinot Noir                                17.5        3.22            60                   10/15
Tempranillo                              22.0        3.24            80                     9/30
Syrah                                      19.2         3.13           40                    10/15
Cabernet Sauvignon                  18.5        3.14            40                    10/15
Sangiovese                              17.0         2.92           25                    10/20
Lemberger                               18.2          2.92          50                     10/15
Zinfandel                                 19.0         2.90           40                      ?

I'd like for the Viognier to catch up to the Syrah, otherwise I will probably not pick/use it.  But it's looking great otherwise and it would be nice to bring in three separate harvest dates, Syrah and Cab first,  Sangiovese second a week later, and Riesling last around the first of November.  It'll be easier to manage, if a few more miles on the truck.  I still have a couple of wildcard grape sourcing possiblities that I need to follow up on, but I've been accumulating and cleaning more food grade buckets and drums over the past month.

I bought 4 different types of yeast yesterday.  I'd like to be more selective and tune the yeast to the varietal, but I bought all types that my local wine supply had in their fridge, and will match best I can.

My glassware is likely to run short, so more carboys are needed, or I may try to use one of the smaller drums for a secondary vessel. 

I've decided NOT to buy a crusher/destemmer this year.  a) I waited too late to order one, b) I've got plenty of other things to spend money on this harvest, mostly fruit, and c) my oldest daughter and her husband are going to be here during harvest, so I'll have 4 more hands to show how much fun it is to destem wine grapes.    

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 9/17/2012 8:50:51 AM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 174
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 9/17/2012 5:17:35 PM   
khmark7

What does the seed % represent?

Do you have a number you are waiting to achieve, or just an overall feel for ripeness?   How do you control the fermenting temps of all those grapes at your house Chris?

Post #: 175
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/9/2012 12:15:13 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Holy smokes, am I the only one still waiting.  I guess probably so.  I'll crush Syrah/Viognier this weekend, and maybe some Cab Franc this week.  A work buddy has a lead on some in my home AVA, Naches Heights and I'd like to try it and meet the vineyard owners.

The other stuff I have under contract is still a week or so out.  This is the time of year when we start worrying about freezes, but so far so good. 

BTW. Smoke was never a real issue in Yakima Valley or Naches Heights with anybody I quizzed about it.  Further North, Lake Chelan and a few others up there, it might be an issue. 

Karl, the seed color thing was new for me this year, but I understand 90+ % dark is what they are looking for to pick.   I suspect Patricia of adding new datapoints for me each year as I learn what the hell I'm doing and one day she'll tell me I can make wine.  :)

BTW, it is a useful to give wine back to the person who grew the grapes.  I've done this each year with Patricia, and not only does it foster good will, she can tell me what I did compared to others who bought the same fruit.  Main thing she always tells me is to stay out of the way.  She works with another Chemist type and she told me he's constantly adding ingredients that are not needed and detract from the wine.  

Regarding fermentaion temps,  my reds I keep as warm as possible, room temp or above.   When the Riesling comes in, if I need to cool I can sit it in a cool basement or maybe even outdoors this year, I have semi-enclosed back porch that is protected from huge swings.   I've also jacketed carboys with t-shirts in a standing water bath.  Good evaporative cooling mechanism.

I'm getting excited about my crush this week!

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/9/2012 12:20:20 PM >

Post #: 176
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/9/2012 7:20:22 PM   
champagneinhand

I don't know if I am going to make anything this year. I am seriously tight on my storage spec, though I may still grab up some Chard juice and make a white port. I need to check barrel prices. It could sit in a barrel for years and be okay. My car is being repaired so I will have to find alternate transportation.

Post #: 177
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/14/2012 5:53:46 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

The Cab Franc fell though, they sold to somebody else first.  But when I picked up Syrah/Voignier today, they had an extra 650 pounds of Merlot.  They picked more than the other customer wanted.  I have no way to process that much fruit and still do the other things I planned, so I got 100 pounds of that.  The Merlot will stand alone or be blend wtih Cab Sauv and/or Sangivese. 

Gorgeous 250 lbs Syrah, 30 lbs Viognier crushed and destemed into two separate batches, cold soaking for a few days.  I might combine into a big drum for fementing if I can figure out the 280 lb logisitics without a fork lift or pump.

The Merlot is also in cold soak mode. 

Fun harvest so far!

Post #: 178
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/15/2012 12:16:51 AM   
dsGris

Chris, you are going big time. Back in the day, our wen making group/tasting gettogether was making 100 or so lbs. one fellow was making 100 gal batches. He said he had a lot of friends.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 179
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/15/2012 2:25:06 AM   
musedir

We can all say, " we knew him when..."

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI