CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/14/2011 7:50:27 PM   
Old Doug

Ah Khamen, yes - just hearing the beginning clarinet makes me cry.  I just listened to Caruso, then Pavarotti singing it, and how wonderful....

One bottle of chardonnay consumed.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 31
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/14/2011 8:01:04 PM   
Khamen

I just moved on to Freni doing de Valkyrie. Funinabucket

btw - Italian soprane doing Wagner = a bit weird

K

< Message edited by Khamen -- 5/14/2011 8:07:59 PM >

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 32
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/14/2011 10:17:38 PM   
Old Doug

Bottle #2, 2006 Chateau Rieussec Sauternes, has now, as we say in the US, "bit the dust."  Probably will improve with age, but it's a bit cloying right now. Rich honey taste, some dried apricot flavor back in there, but it's just too damn sweet for me.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 33
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/15/2011 3:05:01 PM   
slaughterer

Old Doug and Khamen are making delightful progress now with their operatic accompaniment and Rieussecs and chards. (One whole bottle of Sauternes--along with the "bucket" of foie gras that must naturally go alongside it--would likely topple the slaughtering Han Solo into a long slumber, and a slight nausea, but it all no doubt has to do with ones palate.) Although the Mrs. Slaughterer was away this weekend once again, the wayward-bound slaughterer played it rather low-key this weekend, with just a bottle of Boyd Cantenac 2005, although he did eye with devilish intent an unopened half-case of Eglise Clinet 1990 while dawdling in his overstuffed cellar. The acidity of the Boyd Cantenac was just a tad too much on his Han Solo bottle evening and it was one of the major reasons why the slaughterer had to cancel his lesson with his personal fitness trainer on Sunday. It also led to no poetic flights, but a long bought with the new Radiohead album in a prone position. In any case, wife is already back, and we just consumed a Pavie Macquin 2002 together over New Zealand baby lamb ribs to make everything alright. Lesson learned: go with the OLD good stuff when Han soloing. Keep away from the NEW unripe stuff, even if it needs to be researched from time to time. Lets keep the thread alive--drinking in our underwear in the dark while the significant other is away, mumbling away into oblivion.

< Message edited by slaughterer -- 5/15/2011 3:07:59 PM >

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 34
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/15/2011 4:42:23 PM   
Stirling

Men really are great. It is the simple things in life that make us happy: like having the wife out of town and sitting around in our underwear getting plastered on expensive hooch while contemplating esoterica, listening to our favourite music and posting miscellaneous ramblings. I am hard-pressed to think of anything better.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 35
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/15/2011 9:26:22 PM   
Old Doug

Time... What is it - a fabric of energy and information?  1981, I was 22 years old, and got my first bottle of wine, and soon my second, then was rapidly up to 30 or more.  I guess that I was so proud, in a way, and kept the empties with their pretty labels - I had a sort of "shrine" made for them, each row being a little higher than the one in front of it.  Knew nothing of the world of wine.  But what, then?  Well, I knew that I liked getting drunk.

Just think of it, the Pauillacs and Pomerols that would be made the following year, 1982; and there I was, lots of disposable income, and the US was in the most severe economic recession prior to the recent "tough times," oh I can only imagine the great deals that were to be had. The clarity of hindsight makes me ache.  It's probably that way for most of us, regrets and all.  1990 Lafite, good solid vintage, now is $1100 a bottle, 4 years ago it was $450.  The 1982 has gone from $2000 or less to almost $5000 in that time.  In 1996, the 1982 was $200 - $300.  I'm still being passed by, by so much.  But what minutes!  Count them by sensation, and not by calendars, and each moment is a day.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Stirling - I agree, sitting around in one's underwear can be great.  Though my wife has at times expressed extreme displeasure with the practice, especially when it continued for all or most of a day.
  The flower that you hold in your hands was born today and already it is as old as you are.  ~Antonio Porchia  And on we go, the deep red Spanish blend erasing all traces of the German Riesling.  As far as wine, I'm in "alien territory," sharing a house with 3 other guys, 2 of which only drink beer, while the last one doesn't drink at all.  60 hours ago I got 16 bottles, 7 of which are gone now.  My wife wouldn't like that either.  Hotel bills adding up to financial pain, month-over-month, my employer has rented us a 4-bedroom house here, nice enough but sterile in the "we're only passing through" way.  Hudson, NY, but decently close to Albany and Empire Wine, which has the best prices in the country on many wines.  Doesn't kill my wishes that I could access K & L Wine Merchants and some other online sites that are prevented from shipping to my home in Georgia by insane laws.  I don't understand the complexities of the shipping regulations, surely they are capricious and spiteful at times, if nothing else, even if not by conscious design; our other home in Ohio and my employer's address in West Virginia can also not receive shipments from this or that seller.  So, amid my despair I must endeavor to persevere, as they say, and forge ahead against the assailable odds, it being a given that some of them are unassailable.

< Message edited by Old Doug -- 5/15/2011 9:27:29 PM >

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 36
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/19/2011 4:04:27 PM   
musedir

2008 Ledson Pinot Noir Russian River Valley as I contemplate laser eye surgery tomorrow... Me who has never considered contacts as I don't like anything near my eyes... And my vision is central to my work. So in my nervousness I decided to pop this Pinot which has been decried by some and praised by others. I am more in the latter camp to be sure.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 37
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/19/2011 5:01:37 PM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

2008 Ledson Pinot Noir Russian River Valley as I contemplate laser eye surgery tomorrow... Me who has never considered contacts as I don't like anything near my eyes... And my vision is central to my work. So in my nervousness I decided to pop this Pinot which has been decried by some and praised by others. I am more in the latter camp to be sure.

Oh jeeze - good luck!
I know exactly what you're thinking - MY EYES - but I know lots of people who have had laser surgery and have been very happy with it.
All will be well, my friend.

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 38
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/19/2011 5:13:04 PM   
musedir

Thanks Dawn... Just being nervous Nelly. BTW, which of the three did you choose? My bride is at an opening and long reception tonight (staying over)... How find you a bachelorette?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 39
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/19/2011 5:17:50 PM   
dandyessex

I was tempted by just underpants, but I put on a bathrobe with my Musar.  It's still chilly here in Canada and my cat opened the curtains.  

"I like to drink wine more I than used to..."
~Don Corleone 'The Godfather'

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 40
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/19/2011 5:21:51 PM   
cookiefiend

quote:

Thanks Dawn... Just being nervous Nelly. BTW, which of the three did you choose? My bride is at an opening and long reception tonight (staying over)... How find you a bachelorette?

Mr Cookie has had a very rough week - lost 2 matches on the golf course and is feeling very low - so he's getting a massage (no happy ending there or I will kill someone), thus me and the girl (large furry German Shepherd) are sitting outside.

She's chasing bees, I'm finishing the Barnett PN.
I'm also fully dressed.
hahaaaaa!

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 41
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/19/2011 6:12:27 PM   
Old Doug

"You just **** on everything when you get like that," she said, and she has a point.  Not a mean drunk, get even nicer, which is a wonder to her family.  Still can do bad stuff though, or not do the good stuff.  Embarrassing, especially later on. She's sensitive to it - her dad, though he's not all that bad of a drunk, was just sort of mean when those kids were growing up.  She's the oldest, maybe she took it the hardest, though they're close in age - you talk about bada boom bada bing fast family - 4 kids born in the span of 35 months.  Now we're a half-century removed from those times, and I had no history with her dad, made a good first impression by design, bought all the drinks in the restaurant bar while we waited for the family to gather; it's all good for him and me.

Always been lucky, always been skilled, got by and more than got by, no matter what, although is gout really a badge of honor?  Planned pretty well, avoided many of the mistakes that others made, 2 of my brothers have 5 divorces between them.  Or is my whole life a mistake?  Too easy to go for quantity over quality, and some people have to learn the hard way.  Over and over.  Can you feel the inertia of your life?  Hard to change the course of an iceberg, or of a supertanker.  Maybe some of the ice is melting, though, around the edges, anyway.  Focus.  Pay attention to the others.  It's not always instant vacation, not always spring break.  You lose her, boy, then you'll have really messed up.  Messed up where there's no making up for it.

(in reply to dandyessex)
Post #: 42
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/19/2011 6:56:13 PM   
recotte

quote:

Good luck tomorrow!  Everyone I know who has done it has been very happy with the results.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 43
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/20/2011 9:27:47 AM   
dsGris

Great post Doug. You must have Faulkner running through your veins. I will be looking for some "Tasting notes to note" in the future.

I was informed that I have a developing cataract in one eye and need to have both eyes done because of my acute myopia. Now I need to have a couple of months free to schedule the recovery time, trips and visits planned for the summer. My brother who lives in Thailand was visiting and said he had his done there for $1000/each. Cost of medical care there is cheaper than insurance over here. I need mine done before the winter as it is very difficult to drive on rainy dark nights with on coming head lights. I do not drink if I have to drive at night, it's just not worth the stress.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 5/20/2011 10:53:44 AM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 44
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/20/2011 10:30:50 AM   
Old Doug

Gracias, dsGris, and good luck with your eyes.  "Medical tourism" is attractive, nowadays, often.  I'm near-sighted and wear glasses, but have never had eye problems, really.  However - it sure seems to me like headlights on vehicles have gotten brighter over the decades, and I guess that's true. Oncoming traffic at night is nasty anyway, and in the rain.... [shudder].

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 45
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/22/2011 2:26:55 PM   
Old Doug

The years go by, and sometimes it's odd what you remember.

In the late 1970's, I was going home on a Friday evening after a week of work, and needed a little more fuel in my truck, enough to get home and back to work on Monday morning, at least.  I had $3 on me, and pulled into a gas station (petrol station) by a pump, and told the guy who pumped gas to give me three Dollar's worth.  Back in those days that was a meaningful amount of fuel.  There were no other customers there.

After a short time, he shut the pump off, came back to me, "That'll be $10.35."  He'd filled it up. 

I blinked my eyes and said, "Well uh... Wow, man, I did say to give me three bucks' worth....  Three bucks is all I got."  I opened my wallet and gave him the three $1 Dollar bills, then displayed the forlorn and empty chamber that was my billfold. 

Another blow, one more little stumble of existence, yet again life had dealt with him harshly.  He dropped his head down and turned it to the side, "Yeah, you did say that...."

This was before automatic teller machines had made it to my vicinity.  You were out of money late on Friday afternoon, you had to wait until the banks opened up on Monday morning.  Credit cards were not yet part of my life.  I told him I'd go to the bank on Monday and bring him the rest of the money.  Asked if he was working on Monday.

"Yeah, I'll be here.  Okay..."  He was shrugging as he said, "Okay" - he knew damn well I wouldn't return.  He was going to have to eat that $7.35.

He was an old-looking mid-40's, possibly 50.  He'd been close to the margins of society, maybe even lived right on them sometimes.  He had that "hard look," as if he was used to fate grinding against him.  He might have been too young for World War II, but what about the Korean conflict, that strange proxy war?  Could be... No way to tell from his clothes or appearance.  He was getting by, but not in a good way, and didn't expect much else at this point.  Hanging on, a little bit haunted in the eyes.  Ex-convict?  Maybe.  As I drove away, he tilted his head back and looked up.  Was he appealing to God, asking for mercy and better luck?  Or was he just staring at the roof-like canopy over the fuel pump area, wondering what the heck he was doing there?

Monday came, I went to work, and at lunch got some money out of the bank.  Even got change for the 35 cents.  Later in the day, it was busy at the gas station when I returned, lots of vehicles at the pumps, so I parked around the other side of the building, then looked for the guy.  He was bent over an old, low car, fuel nozzle in hand.  I walked up to him and was pretty close when I said, "Hey man..."

There was that haunted look again:  "Whoa, who is this coming toward me, is there a problem, what's going on?"  He was thinking that, didn't say anything, just looked at me.  Maybe he still had trouble with the law out there, somewhere, thought I was a cop.

"I was here Friday, you filled my truck up and I didn't have all the money....?"  I took out $7 in bills and fished in my pocket, got a quarter and two dimes.

A little bit of sunrise for him, right there, and he remembered.  Some light in his eyes.  I don't claim an especially honest life, this was just one thing I did.  He nodded and said, "Hey yeah, buddy, thanks - most people wouldn't have stopped back."

That was either 32 or 33 years ago, and I figure he's probably dead by now.

< Message edited by Old Doug -- 5/22/2011 2:27:10 PM >

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 46
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/22/2011 8:33:28 PM   
Stirling

Good for you Doug. Good for you. I think it takes a man who has a certain sensitivity to do the right thing when there is no way anyone will know he did not. It is a quality we should all try to cultivate. Good for you, Doug.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 47
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/26/2011 8:42:21 PM   
Old Doug

This thread will not die, I promise you.

Finished off the 2005 Pahlmeyer 'Jayson" Pinot Noir.  Then a bottle of 2007 Engelbrecht Els (South African) red blend went by the wayside. Mighty good and satisfying.  To me, Portugal and South Africa are the opposite of Bordeaux, France, at the current time - really good values.  Good grief, it's raining so hard that the satellite TV cut out.

Ah well, life goes on.  I am now faced with not opening some pretty good stuff - all Brunello di Montalcinos: 2004 CastelGiocondo, 2005 Ucceliera, and 2005 Caparzo.

This "Brunello Event" thread:  http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=145245 prompted me to see what the local enoteca had in stock and sure enough, they had 3 good ones, so here we are.....   But I will wait, because tomorrow is another day.

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 48
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/28/2011 6:43:45 PM   
Old Doug

Done:  2007 Perrin & Fils Gigondas La Gille Rhone blend.

Underway: 2005 Caparzo Brunello Di Montalcino 

We are all improbable in our own way, and who can augur the future?  I never could have laid out my course in advance, though in looking back it all makes sense, even if it was me flipping a coin (or if somebody flipped it for me).  Hindsight smooths the probabilistic waves, and here I sit, having cast the coin, having had the coin in pocket, having gotten change at an early age, the cashier having had a drawerful of metal, the mint having stamped to its heart's content, the cosmos having performed admirably, elementally.

Here I sit, tonight's chautauqua taking place in a goblet of garnet, yea - a very phrontistery of fuchsia.  Far be it from me to understate the euphonious manner in which the cork leapt from the bottle, the Olympian olfactory embrace, the bathykolpian brand of this elixir.  The wind outside the window - what is it telling me?  Am I entangled, unawares, in my ebullience, a ptarmic influence in the decoction escaping my notice?  Am I blind to the greater reality, my words falling like amaurotic husks to the ground?  Or, that given ground, does it emit the mephitic essence?  Is this the supernatural revenge of some aspect of the wine's terroir, rendering the drinker typhlotic to the usufruct of this very forum, to an iatrogenic principle at work?  Are we held at bay by external sternutatory Influence, all our self-reliant suppositions trumped by errhine externals?

Here I sit, wondering if 'tis no more than the contest of the Ego, Superego, and Id, grinding against one another in tribologic sculpting.  Or is a spiteful, chthonian influence at work, stemming from that same terroir?  Can the wine be blamed?  Can we cry out, apotropaically, to rescue ourselves?  Are conscious forces arrayed against us, or are we our own worst enemy?  Is there a soil/soul for a wine?  And is it only a fancy of Fortuna that I sit here tonight, deterministic tendrils floating around me in a manner that threaten my assumptions?  Am I free of myself, or is there no such thing as such freedom?  In the end, do all things come to one?  Obfuscatory clarity - yes, I know, and peace won't sleep in the transparent bottom of my glass.

Here I sit, and now I think I'll get up and walk around.

Wine comes in at the mouth
And love comes in at the eye;
That’s all we shall know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift the glass to my mouth,
I look at you, and I sigh.

-- William Butler Yeats

< Message edited by Old Doug -- 5/28/2011 6:48:30 PM >

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 49
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/28/2011 6:59:29 PM   
*Vine*

Doug,

While in the middle of polishing off a bottle of 2007 Switchback Merlot, I was browsing through the forum and just read through your last few posts in this thread...

I think you're my new hero.

< Message edited by *Vine* -- 5/28/2011 8:08:57 PM >

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 50
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/28/2011 7:45:12 PM   
fingers

Doug,

I can read with mellifluous timbre and perfect enunciation every word of your post and have no idea WTH your saying. Well done

Now, if we can have some more boobies and potty humor, things will be back to normal around here

(in reply to *Vine*)
Post #: 51
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/29/2011 4:24:54 PM   
Old Doug

Thanks, Vine.  Although, there are no doubt people thinking, "Oh God, don't encourage him..."  

That Merlot sounds interesting, and I like your tasting note on it.  Lots of oak, "Chateau 2 x 4," eh?  April of last year - my wife and I spent a week in northern Sonoma County, had a great time, many vineyards and tastings.  One of the most surprising things - along with just how good and unknown some of the wines made there are - was the decrease in Merlots.  At Gary Farrell winery (Russian River) we tasted the last of their Merlots - the influence of the movie 'Sideways' had been so great that they were simply quitting making the stuff.  "All hail Pinot Noir," I guess.  But that was a damn good Merlot....

The norther Sonoma area, Russian River, Dry Creek, and Alexander Valleys... Beautiful, and not so crowded like Napa often is.  We did go into the town of Sonoma one Saturday, and %@#%$@#?! was it crowded.  And this was in April.  Looks to me like the Alexander Valley almost makes it down to Peterson Vineyards in Calistoga where the grapes for Switchback Ridge come from, but not quite.

Killed off the Caparzo Brunello today, very good.  Put a couple whites into the refrigerator for a slight chilling, and in my impatience opened up 2010 Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau.  Sigh... Why did I even buy this?

Fingers, I was really just thinking, with a glass of red wine, that life is good, the wine is good, but am I perhaps unaware of "evil influence" (perhaps from under the ground, as it were), my own folly, etc., and do we have free will, and what is the nature of our will?

Speaking of boobies, by "the bathykolpian brand of this elixir," I meant the deep-bosomed flavor.  Hoo-aah!

Chatauqua, phrontistery = discussions, places of learning.
Euphonious = pleasing or sweet sounding.  That was an easy one.
Ptarmic = causes sneezing
Amaurotic = blind, having lost sight.
Mephitic = stinky, foul (by extention - evil)
Typhlotic = blind, unseeing, undiscerning.
Usufruct = "the right of enjoying all the advantages derivable from the use of something that belongs to another, as far as is compatible with the substance of the thing not being destroyed or injured."  So, you can pick the apples but you don't own the tree and can't cut it down.  We don't own the CellarTracker forum, but we can use it.  Or, do we go too far, sometimes in our use of it?
Iatrogenic = pertaining to medical problems caused by medical treatment, as with the side effects of a drug prescribed by a doctor.
Sternutatory = causes sneezing
Errhine = "snot-inducing" With ptarmic and sternutatory, you can see a trend here...
Tribologic = pertaining to the study of how parts move together, as with friction, ways of lubricating them, etc.
Chthonian = being of the underworld, from under the ground, infernal.
Apotropaically = in a manner intended to ward off evil.

I had a couple more really kick-ass obscure words that I couldn't work into the story, and now I can't even remember them.  The curse of being sober.

Is there a soil/soul for a wine?  Asked this last night, and today Hankj has a thread about terroir - does it really make a difference or not, so I guess that not only does drinking make you smart, it makes you clairvoyant, too.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 52
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/30/2011 6:44:49 AM   
slaughterer

Beautiful prose, as always, Doug.    
To follow up on your queries about the soul, here is a translation of Baudelaire's "The Soul of Wine"
"One evening the wine's soul sang in the bottles, 'Man, dear disninherited Man, from my glass prison with its scarlet seals fo wax I send you a song which is full of light and brotherhood.
'I know what labour, sweat and scorching sun the flaming hillside needs to engender my life and provide me with a soul, but I shall never be ungrateful or malign.
'as I feel tremendous joy when I flow down the throat of any man worn out with toil, and his hot breast is a snug grave where I am happier than in my chilly cellars
'Can you hear the sabbath choruses echoing, and the hope that babbles in my throbbing breast?  With your elbows on the table, sleeves rolled up, you will glorify me and find happiness;
'I shall set a light in the eyes of your delighted mate, and restore his strength and colour to your son, and for that frail athlete of existence I shall be as the oil that fortifies the muscles of wrestlers.
'Into you I shall fall as vegetal ambrosia, a precious seed cast by the eternal Sower, so that poetry may be born from our love and spring towards heaven like a rare flower.''"  (1843)

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 53
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/30/2011 9:09:05 AM   
*Vine*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Thanks, Vine.  Although, there are no doubt people thinking, "Oh God, don't encourage him..."  

Hehe. They do have the option of skipping over this thread...

Most of us are probably more simply wishing that we had the ability to so easily wax lyrically about the inane.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

That Merlot sounds interesting, and I like your tasting note on it.  Lots of oak, "Chateau 2 x 4," eh?  April of last year - my wife and I spent a week in northern Sonoma County, had a great time, many vineyards and tastings.  One of the most surprising things - along with just how good and unknown some of the wines made there are - was the decrease in Merlots.  At Gary Farrell winery (Russian River) we tasted the last of their Merlots - the influence of the movie 'Sideways' had been so great that they were simply quitting making the stuff.  "All hail Pinot Noir," I guess.  But that was a damn good Merlot....

The norther Sonoma area, Russian River, Dry Creek, and Alexander Valleys... Beautiful, and not so crowded like Napa often is.  We did go into the town of Sonoma one Saturday, and %@#%$@#?! was it crowded.  And this was in April.  Looks to me like the Alexander Valley almost makes it down to Peterson Vineyards in Calistoga where the grapes for Switchback Ridge come from, but not quite.

Thanks. Slight thread drift, but regarding Merlot it is too bad that the post-Sideways decline has occurred, especially in the RRV & Carneros. Man, it just seemed like Merlot from some of the cooler climate land i.e., now used for Pinot, was really coming into its own in the late 90's through early to mid-2000's.

As for the Switchback, I just don't get the oak treatment. It's clearly great base material but I seriously question if the oak will integrate. Works well with Cab not so much Merlot. And thanks for the tip on Northern Sonoma, need to make it over there sometime, sounds like a blast!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 54
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/30/2011 3:49:23 PM   
Old Doug

Slaughterer, magnificent!  I'm verklempt.  Will have to memorize the poem, hopefully to trot it out at a tasting. 

Vine, yeah, too bad about the Merlot, but I'm still pretty high on the Carneros region - I like Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in the first place, and some good ones have been coming out of there.  For the northern Sonoma, we stayed in Healdsburg, an excellent base of operations.  Easy to fan out into the surrounding valleys.  About 6 miles north of Healdsburg is Geyserville, population roughly 2300, not much going on, but it does have a surprisingly good place to eat - Diavola Pizzeria & Salumeria, and right next door to that is 'Locals Tasting Room' -  it's a co-op for wineries too small to have their own tasting rooms.  It says they have 70 wines from 10 wineries but when we were there, must have been 100+.  We tasted and tasted and came up with 3 that we absolutely loved and that were around $10 per bottle.  Wish we lived in a day's drive of there.

(in reply to *Vine*)
Post #: 55
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/2/2011 1:14:17 AM   
Old Doug

Your mom picks up the phone, and she starts crying.

"Well" - oops, what is "well"?  How subjective a beasty is that?  From what standpoint, what frame of reference, what mode of view do we approach?  Or is it "beastie"?  I'm thinking like "Scotty" on Star Trek would say, the immortal James Doohan, who I would have figured for a Scotsman, but a Canadian was he, and a good life lived.  On at least one episode of the 'Star Trek' TV show he evinced a liking for 'Saurian brandy,' and 'tis certain sure that a stout beverage it would be.  While back in the real world, ol' Jimmy boy stormed Juno Beach, Normandy, on D-day, then that very following night a scared Canadian machine-gunner let loose as our intrepid James made his rounds, hitting him six times with "friendly fire" (now how tough would that have been, to swallow as a metaphor at the time?), improbable after that that life remained, middle finger, right hand, later had to be amputated, ah ha - didn't know that either - four shots to a leg, well now that would be thought to be well-fatal, but no, and one in the chest besides, where a silver cigarette case preserved our man's life.

Well - I guess that's really an interjection, then, as it were, as they say.  "Well."  The memory of what I first intended is long gone, like last season's shooting star.  Mister Cabernet and Ms. Port have come, but not gone, and they sit above and slightly behind me, watching, as my consciousness, or as that odd, slowed-down scenery of apperception we sometimes have in times of recollection, or at times of extreme stress. I remember - and make no mistake - ever and anon I'm forced to correct increments of spelling here - "ever," ah ha - reminds me of "ever present danger," and how nice a sound is that, "trochee" it is called, eh - those syllables, three times in a row, "accentual meter," it is deemed; they have a nice flow to it, those words.  To switch horses;

But my words, like silent raindrops fell,
And echoed...
In the wells... of silence.

Heh - another "well," of a sort.  Simon & Garfunkel, 'The Sound of Silence," written by Paul Simon after President John Kennedy was killed, which was a big deal in the US.  Acoustic version 1964 and before you knew it out came the "charged-up" piece the next year with an electric guitar and bass, and some drums pounding away - that was the one that really grabbed me, yes, tiny tot though I was, though I love them both to this day.  I remember, well it's the first thing I remember - my mother, standing so impossibly tall at the wall-mounted telephone, getting the call which told her the President was dead.  I was four, and for the first time, something was "out of control here," and my mother was more human than ever before.  ::  choke ::  sob  ::  She'll be 75 years old in exactly four weeks.

I remember Sabine.   A chance meeting in the Mojave desert in California, March 1985.  Then against now, I was exactly half my age.  "Then against now."  'Life Against Death:  The Psychoanalytic Meaning of History' (published in 1959, a very good year) - by Norman O. Brown, now how about that for a book title?  Sabine was from Switzerland, four years younger than me.  We barely met, I knew some things of the Golden State from my peripatetic visitations (though I was from Ohio), I could get free maps, said I'd send her some.  Uh huh.  Talked on the phone a few times and well, yeah, I was in love.  She and her girlfriend Therese came over in the spring of 1991 and visited me, and that following summer I went to Europe for the first time.  6 years had gone by, but something had smoldered on.  I first typed that as "smouldered," but then again I've always been an Anglophile.  Sabine was always so matter-of-fact, while I was more emotional; she'd ask me something, I'd be thinking how to reply to her, preserving what I saw as my interest while not really contradicting her, rather just somewhat clarifying things.  "Well..." I would begin, as if to validate what she had said, and not to disagree, directly, but to note that things were not just that simple.  I smile now, thinking of how she would interrupt me after I first said, "Well..." - saying the same word herself in gentle and loving mockery of me.  Well, of course in the end things really were that simple. I'm still good friends with her, but she never diverted from her path, which seems to be philosophically against marriage, while I've been married now for 11 years.

To a woman who, when we visited an ancient monastery in the interior of Sicily, told an ancient monk, "I'm not from here," when he addressed her in Italian.  He must have been asking her something about her origin or home, because he then said, in English, "Your eyes tell me you are from here."  Dude - her grandfather was from Agrigento, not that far away.  My wife knows a little Italian, and I'm married to one.  She's also half Mohawk Indian.  She and her sisters (definitely from the same parents) - it's something to see.  She's the oldest.  One sister is "brown," and when we go into a Mexican restaurant, they always speak Spanish to her.  One is "pink" and could be from Ireland, England, Scotland, maybe even Germany.  My wife is "green."

Well, okay - "olive-skinned."  And that trip to Sicily - April 2000, wow, now that was a deal.  Rome was on the brink of the 2000 years' Jubilee.  Tuscany.  Bologna had some of the best food, ever.  Bologna, they call it "La Grassa," which means "the fat one," or "The Fat."  They are not worrying about calories, they are just making the best damn food you can imagine.  Siena, the Cinqueterre, Naples, the Amalfi Cost, Sorrento; Corleone, Sicily - we were the only tourists there.  Some attraction due to the 'Godfather' movies - big favorites of ours - but in April nobody's about.  There is a version, however, of La Passeggiata; Corleone does have a central square, of sorts, though perhaps it's better described as a triangle or pentagon, in the late afternoon and early evening the people take a slow walk around, dressed nicely.  And there it was - the most beautiful head of hair I've ever seen.  My wife's hair is a very nice dark brown.  Hey - I've seen glorious reds, killer blonds, even pinks, greens, and purples in this modern day and age, but this was so dark brown as to be black.  It was straight down her back, this hair must have been four feet long, we are talking about 1.3 meters, we are talking about hair so straight and so shiny as to make the gods themselves blink.  Past her waist and then halfway down to the back of her knees.  I will never forget that.

Although it pales besides Sorrento.  Horror of horrors - a third bottle is opened: Dolcetto d'Alba.  Nicely lighter after the Port.  Crazy, though; 5 hours and I am off to work.  Fear not - I leave the balance to tomorrow's hopefully not too-sorrowful reckoning.  So then, Sorrento.  We were walking along one of the main west to east streets in Sorrento, Italy.  I suppose they really run somewhat southwest to northeast - you know how that old sly fox, that sly dog the Bay of Naples (or is it Sorrento Bay?) is, ever the Trickster, hey, that's it - geography can be like that southwestern US deity the "Coyote," or "The Trickster," creation myth or transformative power.  I have a sense that old Coyote is actually a pretty good guy.  My wife and I, walking along; likely the Courso Italia.  Yes, the town and the surroundings - really the whole Amalfi Coast - can be crowded, expensive, touristy....  But hear me - go in the less-busy times, relax and integrate, be one with it, there is great value to be had.  Back to business, she came out a door, I think it probably was a door leading to a stairway that went to a second-floor apartment over a shop or other business at street-level.

She was in her early 20's, I think.  My wife, too, was taken aback - this was poetry.  You know how some slight differences can render huge changes - witness going from the primary color "white" to an alabaster or an eggshell?  This girl had skin, and she had dark hair, dark eyes, eyebrows and eyelashes.  The contrast between them was transcendant, and she didn't even know it.  Just a minute hitch in time as she looked at us, looking at her, then away she was, on the mission of youth, energetic and momentous.  Over eleven years forward in time now we are, and to me it is as a few hours ago.  On the 'Circumvesuviana' train that runs from Naples to Sorrento and back, you can see the Italian youth, the relative uncaring that is, or that at least was, at the time, there, compared to American kids.  Some cultural 'freedom' that I cannot explain, just as I can't explain what seemed at the time to be Italian custom:  to give all children turning 14 years old two cellphones and twenty cartons of cigarettes.  I jest, but in seriousness I saw this quality on the train - teenagers 'free' of something I expected, perhaps in the end my own timidity and unease at that age.  I have never spoken of this - that girl we saw - to my wife; a moment gone, a possible comparison with her, one of those man-woman things.  She knows what I mean when such discussions are had, but still, she cannot sit apart as I do, she's in the moment, her stated wish is not for reminiscenses (heh - try typing that one after 2.5 bottles of wine), she's more of a hard-charger, if anything, perhaps she's running a little too hard to stay ahead of the past, while I cannot ever catch up with the present.  <~~ I like those last few turns of phrase. 

Moment of emotional levity past, I think then to that day. Not much given to religion am I.  Make no mistake - I love my wife.  I loved her the first time I met her - online - another story there, for another time, probably right here on this thread.  Never would have believed it - Doug meets a woman on the computer, she moves in with him, they get married after a few years, live happily ever after.  Heck, my sisters-in-law (and, truth be told, likely quite a few members of my own immediate family) never thought I'd get married, period.  Yet and still, love found me and has taught me, has convinced me that it can stay, and, just in the past two years - has really shown me how it can grow - even after a long time; this is very precious to me, an old boy now embarked on his second half-century.

Oh yes - you haven't forgotten though, have you?  That day.  That day the girl came out the door.  There is no horrible, life-altering disaster to be described here.  There is only a singular event in my feeling.  Well - look at that - the last of the Dolcetto resides in my glass.

That day, my wife and I, somehow, some strange way, were in the presence of Grace.  I mean no comparison with anyone's religion.   I mean no disrespect to anything, here.  It is, in a sense, a distillation of the beauty in young faces that we all see, from time to time.  I hope we see that, anyway.  I wonder what she's doing now.  I wonder if she was even real.  Since that time, I have never seen anything like that.

And I never will.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 56
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/2/2011 6:24:42 AM   
recotte

Slaughterer had no idea what primal forces he was unleashing when he started this thread! Most assuredly, Old Doug has found his stage. Fantastic.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 57
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/2/2011 9:16:11 AM   
Old Doug

Thank you, Eric.  That's about all from me for a while, though - most of the wine I bought to taste is gone, and this weekend my wife and I leave for vacation, Italy and France.  Other people will have to carry on.  July 5, back to work, back to reality.  Do have a few bottles put back for a little tasting this Saturday, before we take off on Sunday.  Going to be "zero bottles consumed" until then.

So, here I am at work, machines doing their thing, people forging their way through a Thursday.  I really doubt that anybody else in the building is interested in fine-tuning a formula for wine quality-to-price ratios.

Tell you one thing, though - when the hours of sleep you got are less in number than the bottles of wine you consumed, well, that's a bad equation. 

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 58
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/24/2011 8:43:34 PM   
vinopkm

Drinking solo tonight- 1 bottle in and maybe a 375 in the near future!  Tomorrow will be a multiple bottle consume day/evening!  The un-official US West Coast hide!  WCC in Irvine.  OC Poker for Wine X.  Cab tasting with a Cab finish! 

1st bottle was a daily drinker and went down way too quick.
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=636396

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 59
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/24/2011 9:23:28 PM   
pbm

Pumped Up Kicks

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI