CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/25/2011 7:43:48 AM   
J2K

What happened to Old DOug?

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 61
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/26/2011 1:49:16 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: J2K

What happened to Old DOug?

I don't recall his exact itinerary, but he's somewhere in Europe right now on vacation with his wife.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 62
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/5/2011 11:22:46 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

What happened to Old Doug?

Hi J2K. 

I live, but go back to work tomorrow - right now a guy is driving a truck down from our Wheeling, WV headquarters - not far at all from Pittsburgh - and we have a job here in North Carolina in the morning.  It's hot, and the heat will be tough to take, all the more so after 7 weeks of living like an adolescent maniac, eating and drinking everything in sight, everything I could want, the more the better.

"Better"?  Excess as a matter of pride, lust, and insecure mentality has long been my forte, and now I look at myself in the mirror, shake my head, and say, "You ******* idiot...."  I've been getting what may be phantom "strawberry" tastes in red wine, last week had 'heartburn' for the first time in my 52 year old life - a bellyful of wine just plain stopped digestion, I guess...  So, time to be good for a while.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 63
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/5/2011 12:48:40 PM   
mattjohnson_78

reading this for the first time, and i must say that i now fully understand self indulgent and moderately whimsical rants...bravo!  ...and i love anytime you can crowbar in the word "interstitial"!  i use it mainly when discussing someones intellegence; of course it flies straight over their head......great thread!

"In the end it all piles up so tall, 'til one day nothing, one day nothing at all" - David John Matthews

...so stop hoarding the good stuff!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 64
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/5/2011 1:18:38 PM   
Old Doug

Usually drink
Alone or with others
Can't go far wrong there

I've been hankering to work "transfretation" into this thread.

(in reply to mattjohnson_78)
Post #: 65
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/5/2011 2:28:22 PM   
slaughterer

Old Doug, good to see you!
Had a Pavie 2002 alone with a self-made pizza (Iberico ham, lentils, mozzarella, and sherry reduction sauce), but did not post a rant. I think I passed out in snooze mode shortly thereafter watching a "Dexter" DVD. Hazards of the thread. Surprised nobody has taken the "one bottle consumed alone" challenge to the next level in the meantime. (I am baiting excess here).

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 66
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/5/2011 2:51:06 PM   
smigdiggler

although I had several days of opportunity this past weekend, I did not partake in the practice of drinking a bottle by myself.   

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

PlaywrightWines on Instagram

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 67
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/5/2011 7:05:50 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer

(I am baiting excess here).

Hey Slaughterer.  That pizza sounds excessively good, and quite inventive.  Changed levels today myself, going all the way down to zero.  First time in weeks with no wine.  Had a pretty poor steak tonight, and was tempted....  "Oh heck, what would it hurt...?"  Even, "What's the point?"  But no, no booze, and thus the moratoria on purchases and consumption commence, the liver to rest and recuperate.

::  looks around  ::

::  taps fingers on desk  ::

Post #: 68
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/6/2011 2:09:53 AM   
slaughterer

Nice to hear you are taking a break Old Doug.  I have also gone from hero to zero on some weekdays as the summer heat gets too much. 
The idea for the pizza recipe comes from an old Marco Pierre White cookbook where Gordon's Master meditates about the primeval synergy of lentils and pork in his childhood meals of UK past.    What would I do with Marco?
Have any of the British CT contingent had any personal experience with White?
(Going to a PJ Harvey concert this Sunday.  Too bad they do not allow the audience to bring their own.)

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 69
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/8/2011 9:18:03 PM   
vinopkm

Damn you Scott that song was kinda in my head and now fully is.  I was watching Tivo Franklin and Bash and some girl made a Cold War Kids, that made me think Foster the People... comment... and now reading this I'm done...  So solo bottle drinking again... there maybe some beers later...  Or more wine... (edit. Sorry- train of thought).

Hello- this is my bi-monthly visit here... so for future reference when the gf is in town... does drinking 2 bottles and then a 375 of desert wine count as consuming a whole bottle alone... even if you aren't alone???  I want to stay within the rules.

I like "..."

I wish I was as good as a poster as Old Doug or had Tacman's cellar...  Ok- fine... I"ll slum it with Beachroosters dual bottles or DRC...

Hello CT world. 

I'm editing like no tomorrow.

< Message edited by vinopkm -- 7/8/2011 10:13:45 PM >

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 70
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/8/2011 9:23:24 PM   
vinopkm

Is it ok to post Tommy Boy comments on the "wine insurance" page?

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 71
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/8/2011 10:24:55 PM   
smigdiggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

Why not

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 72
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/8/2011 11:00:08 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: smigdiggler

quote:

Why not

I was wondering the same myself

(in reply to smigdiggler)
Post #: 73
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/10/2011 6:39:10 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

does drinking 2 bottles and then a 375 of desert wine count as consuming a whole bottle alone... even if you aren't alone???  I want to stay within the rules.

Very good question.  Slaughterer, in making this thread, said, "when and if you ever get to the stage of inebriated solitude and rare JJ Rousseau confessional honesty/obscenity that I have gotten to this evening in my solitary whole bottle Bacchanali, please leave a few words behind.... the more embarassing and confessional the better. Please."

First, I'd certainly defer to Slaughterer's wishes, if they aren't aligned with my first thought, i.e. "the more the merrier," and unless your girlfriend drank the lion's share then your consumption would qualify.

If we are looking for confessionals, introspection, wine-related pronouncements, etc., what degree of "solitude" must be present?  I will say that solitary drinking ( and I always either drink alone or with others) and the measured contemplation of a bottle of wine can be a fine avenue for accessing ourselves, pursuant to the purpose of this thread.

In reading what Slaughterer first wrote, I was pleased to see the mention of Rousseau.  Last month, on the first two nights in Europe for us, my wife and I stayed in the small French town of Chambery.  We had an old place that, purely by chance, is across a small courtyard from a house where Rousseau lived for a time.

Sacred chocolate
Coffee tasted at its best
Guinness in the glass

Last night, after four days of no booze, I had a Guinness, which led to several more, and somehow one of my co-workers, a spirited young bloke, prevailed upon me to join in on some shots of whiskey.  We had dinner in the bar, a meal which today I have no memory of at all.  Just plain stupid.  What a waste.  I was thinking of posting in this thread, but of course didn't even set up a computer in this hotel room of mine, a room similar to where I've spent roughly 270 nights per year, for the past 27 years.  If nothing else, I was able to sit down on the couch, where I woke up at 1:30 or 3:00 in the morning or something like that, and then got into bed.

Guinness makes for idealized recollections, yet after an absence it proves lovelier than even the fondest remembrance.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 74
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/11/2011 3:53:59 AM   
slaughterer

Thanks Old Doug: the reason I mentioned Rousseau: Rousseau, with his "Confessions", invented modern confessional literature of a certain embarrassing self-incriminatory flavor.  I love the "Confessions" although I realize there will always be people for whom this type of public self-flaggelation is contempible, unless it ends with a noble thanks for the unconquerable soul.  I would rather be thankful for nothing. 
Let a whole bottle of wine consumed alone come into self-confession, and do not let the experiment come to an end in vacuous quiet--that is my challenge to the CT community in this thread.    In this way you can try to estimate what has been sheared away from you and what is left of you.  Letting this quiet come to him, Old Doug has gone through many parallel experiences with us (the one about the gas station attendant rings out particularly true) and expressed them with Faulknerian grace.  A triumph of language over speechless stupor.  He even pulled some words out of that oh-so-familiar hotel room he was bunkered in last night.  Bravo Old Doug.   Now it is time for all others to follow him. 

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 75
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/11/2011 7:15:58 AM   
monkey99

Get home from work and it seems there is a little kistler chardonnay left over from last night. A glass each for the wife and I. Nice. Unfortunatly marital affairs are running amok with a friend of the wife. Seems she needs to go out for the evening and discuss and console. It seems a very rare opportunity. I take in the bottles in the fridge. **** why didnt I pick up some more bottles from the offsite. Ahhh look at this little fella. Its a 1990 beaucastel with my name on it. I open up that bad boy and pray it is not a barnyard monster. relax it is a pure fruit monster. I sit and enjoy the wine and as I drift into the experience the flavours become more and more intense. My whole mouth feels full of gummy raspberry notes and deep plum. The last sip is the best. Now I wonder its only 10o'clock. Maybe a quick sip of something else would be a nice end to the evening. Work becomes me tommorow but now I have the freedom of the fridge!. We shall see..........

Post #: 76
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/11/2011 7:38:30 AM   
monkey99

Ok onto the Champy 2006 1er Boucherottes. Its easy to reconcile this number. Its a gift and I think maybe I might not get round to opening a bottle that I wont finish. It is also a burgundy that is of course so light in alchol. Just look at the colour that wine is not going to kill you. What a nice wine. Did not expect that it would be so nice. Lovely bright cherry fruit with a vanilla coating and a tart backbone giving it a fresh taste. Mmmmm I could drink some of this...... Mmmm what a nice wine. I suddenly think that it really is not such a good thing to be roaming around internet auction sites and adding to the madness. What madness it has become. I always remember when I smoked and I read a book that said you know you are really addicted when you are smoking and you are thinking about smoking another cigarette!. It seems simular when cellar filling. When I am looking and buying I think that is just what I want. I often get really good deals and am very satisfied. Then they are in my cellar. Nice. However then they become a little less interesting especially after consuming a few bottles of it. It is on to the new and wonderful where the kicks lie. Of course I get great joy also out of the cellar but there seems to be a bit of a joy in the purchase itself as well as the drinking. I have become a bit of a pavlov dog I presume.
This champy is really good. I wonder if it really is good. If I tried it tommorow would it be as good or is it just the present state of mind. My mouth is full of tart acidity, cherries and a lovely long finish that is a bit tannic. Im liking it. I remember going to champy for a visit which was rather uneventful as I was a tourist and most unknowledgable about wine at the time. I hear the wines have become much better.

What peace in the house....... So nice.............
Nothing to do ...... Nothing to respond to...... No demands........ Just cherry frickin blingin'!!

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 77
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/11/2011 7:41:18 AM   
monkey99

Ok the wifes not back yet. Time for just a quick glass as that cherry beast is just rocking. Then bed promise....

(in reply to monkey99)
Post #: 78
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/11/2011 8:43:09 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkey99

I have become a bit of a pavlov dog I presume.

Cheers, Monkey99.  

(in reply to monkey99)
Post #: 79
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/18/2011 7:43:39 PM   
Old Doug

Yesterday it was 90 degrees in central Michigan at 9:00 p.m.  That's like 32 degrees Celsius.  That's about 305 degrees Kelvin, which is pretty toasty weather to work in, especially when the air is humid. West Virginia tonight, brutally, brutally humid again.  Tomorrow, sigh...  New Jersey.  No other way to say it - I know it's going to suck.

Many ideas for this thread, but no energy to do it here, for now.  A couple months of hot summer to go.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 80
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/18/2011 8:22:17 PM   
J2K

Doug,
What do you do for a living? Drive a truck? If you stop for overnights I'm sure there is a CT'er close by.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 81
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/20/2011 7:08:57 PM   
Old Doug

Ahoy J2K,

I do drive a truck once in a while - a "mobile oil refinery" (or chemical processing rig) primarily dedicated to renewing the oil found in electrical transformers, and chemically destroying PCB's - polychlorinated biphenyls.... a moderately long story there.  Most of the time we work on site.

I hear you about meeting up with other CellarTrackers, and I've already determined to meet Hollowine, Vine, etc. - have jobs or semi-permanent facilities to come in their necks of the woods, so to speak.  And would love to attend all the offline CT gatherings - there are quite a few in the Atlanta area, with varying degrees of formality; just being there on the right date is the deal, a hard-to-achieve deal in my case.

Friday it will be near Philadelphia, the high temperature is forecast at 103 or 39 - 40 Celsius, and let me tell you - near Philly, this time of year, we are talking some humidity.  After a day of that, no thoughts of "tasting wine."  I might drink some - hey - might drink a whole lot of something to escape from.... existence/consciousness, but this is not truly appreciating wine.  And God help you if you drink a bunch of booze then have to work outside when the next day is really hot.

Part of it is just finding the time, and part of it is picking our spots - Hollowine and some of the Texas contingent speaking of not committing to a port wine tasting/drinking until they had an off day to follow - and that is sound thinking.  Many is the time I've seen some awful sorrowful faces coming in to work - the people behind them knowing that true suffering is at hand.  And many is the time when I've bitterly cursed my life/miserable existence , just because I drank a lot the night before.

As to this thread and Slaughterer's idea - I love it.  I must have a need for and/or joy in confession, introspection, zany, madcap adventures, etc.  I still wonder about the "necessity" of alcohol, but can't deny that it makes a hell of a difference to me.  If anything, I'd say that women are more easily intimate with each other, booze or no - they tell their hearts right away, comparatively.  With men, now, let's get a few drinks in them; then we'll have the real truth.  Mayhap this is also a rather "anglo-saxon" thing or something like that, too....  Culture and upbringing (and a love of booze or not) also makes a heck of a difference.

Personally, there is some weird "unlocking" thing that happens.  Many is the time when after 2 or 3 drinks on a plane, for example, I'm furiously scribbling notes on napkins, my fingers barely keeping up with the flood of thoughts, if at all.  And in the cold and sober moments that later follow, some of them are pretty good, so I cannot discard it all as drunken fantasy.

Even aside from alcohol, I see a thread like this as a further microcosm of message boards, chatrooms, etc.  Some of us are just plain made for it.  In the 1990's, my mom had a computer, and kept telling me to get one; "Doug, you'll love it."  August 1996 I got one; and she was right.  Spent a couple months arguing my fool head off on message boards, and then one night I found my way into an internet chatroom.  Well, I'll tell you what - talk about loving something.  I was in southern New York State, it was the Thanksgiving holiday weekend in the US, and I had 3 days off from work.  Lots of funny people in that chatroom, and I stayed there for 36 hours straight.  It was such a rush!  Then slept for 6 hours; got up and chatted for 17 hours more.  Couldn't even stand to be away from the computer screen for long - had an enormous plastic coffee mug, must have held 2 or 3 quarts, and let's just say that "bathroom breaks" took on a different meaning.    Ah, excess, you are my middle name.  Gotta get to the top of the mountain.

During those days I "met" a smart and sassy woman in that chatroom, and this woman was fast - she was always a step ahead of me with a witty (or wittier) comment or comeback.  She later told me that she'd thought I was "deranged," but eventually came to like me, and before I knew it, I was going to visit her after Christmas in that same year of 1996.  Prior to being online, I would have scoffed at the notion of "meeting somebody online."  I was in Ohio, she in New Mexico.  The visit went well, and I spent more time with her in mid-January, then she visited me in Baltimore where I was working in February.

She moved in with me April 2, 1997, and now we've been married almost 12 years.  Never would have believed it.

That chatroom was a special group; have never seen the like since.  Visited several of them offline, and in the end I reckon it was just some sort of synchronicity - we all were ready and we all loved it.

Edit:  on the "1 bottle (of wine) consumed" deal - I did have 12 or 13 beers tonight.

< Message edited by Old Doug -- 7/20/2011 7:10:58 PM >

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 82
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/20/2011 11:40:23 PM   
Beachrooster

Wife is taking a trip with the girls next month. I'm sure I'll be up to the challenge then. I'm fresh out of 1995 Angelus.
quote:

Old Doug, good to see you!
Had a Pavie 2002 alone with a self-made pizza (Iberico ham, lentils, mozzarella, and sherry reduction sauce), but did not post a rant. I think I passed out in snooze mode shortly thereafter watching a "Dexter" DVD. Hazards of the thread. Surprised nobody has taken the "one bottle consumed alone" challenge to the next level in the meantime. (I am baiting excess here).

"I purchased them to make certain they were cared for properly.
You can't drink them, they're far to valuable.
I'd never sell them, they mean to much to me."
Rotten Scoundrel

Post #: 83
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/21/2011 12:16:17 AM   
slaughterer

beachrooster seems to be entering that prime window of time and solitude when the full experience might take him to previously unimagined depths... Lets hope he can find a suitable bottle for the experiment--it does not have to be an Angelus 1995, in fact that vintage still needs time, it seems. Any bottle will do, heck, even a Yellowtail Pinot Grigio... um, on second thought, maybe not... but I am sure he will pull together some suitable potion for the magic to begin.

(in reply to Beachrooster)
Post #: 84
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/21/2011 12:41:40 AM   
Beachrooster

I drank my last 1995 last year, and it was just singing to me. How I love Angelus...but it seems to be getting a little pricy lately. I have a case of 2000 squirreled away, but it seems to be aging ever so slowly. Had a 1959 from Magnum at the Chateau, which was incredible. Opening an Angelus always takes me back to a special story and moment.
I'm sure I be able to find something that will add some magic to the moment. Thanks for the inspiration. Cheers
quote:

beachrooster seems to be entering that prime window of time and solitude when the full experience might take him to previously unimagined depths... Lets hope he can find a suitable bottle for the experiment--it does not have to be an Angelus 1995, in fact that vintage still needs time, it seems. Any bottle will do, heck, even a Yellowtail Pinot Grigio... um, on second thought, maybe not... but I am sure he will pull together some suitable potion for the magic to begin.

"I purchased them to make certain they were cared for properly.
You can't drink them, they're far to valuable.
I'd never sell them, they mean to much to me."
Rotten Scoundrel

Post #: 85
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/21/2011 6:08:55 PM   
cookiefiend

3/4's of the way through a 2008 MacPhail Rose.
14. something alcohol - spell check sez 'Yeah, I can tell'

heh heh

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to Beachrooster)
Post #: 86
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/21/2011 8:22:00 PM   
J2K

Doug,
If you're ever stopping in Pittsburgh or even Wheeling, WV let me know.

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 87
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/22/2011 7:13:01 PM   
Hollowine

Stupid prices in these podunk liquor stores here in Detroit...grrrrr

Having to weekend it over in Detroit, had planned on getting a bottle and going loose tonight...if I wanted rot gut for $30 I could have done it, but when the markups remind me of restaurants I went with a 4 pack of Guinness instead. See if a few of these don't improve the day.

Maybe tomorrow I'll head to Costco or WineBarrel for a bottle...

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 88
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/22/2011 9:59:39 PM   
smigdiggler

Head back to ann arbor and John will take care of you. You could even camp out in the basement

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowin
Stupid prices in these podunk liquor stores here in Detroit...grrrrr

Having to weekend it over in Detroit, had planned on getting a bottle and going loose tonight...if I wanted rot gut for $30 I could have done it, but when the markups remind me of restaurants I went with a 4 pack of Guinness instead. See if a few of these don't improve the day.

Maybe tomorrow I'll head to Costco or WineBarrel for a bottle...

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 89
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/23/2011 11:48:48 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

Doug,
If you're ever stopping in Pittsburgh or even Wheeling, WV let me know.

Done deal!  I usually have 10 or more weekends a year in Wheeling, and can also come to the 'Burgh.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI