CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/28/2011 7:34:23 PM   
Old Doug

2006 Mas de Daumas Gassac Vin de Pays de l'Hérault - "The Grand Cru of the Languedoc" - well, I don't know about that, but I liked it.

2001 Marqués de Cáceres Rioja Gran Reserva - Viva La España!  Tempranillo + Mazuelo + Graciano grapes.  One of the most dense, toughest corks I've ever encountered.  Damn good wine.

What's more fun than just blasting into a wine shop and seeing what strikes our fancy?  I did that, and the above two are the result.  Luckily, they also had Riedel glasses available as singles, otherwise it would have been styrofoam coffee cups here in my office.

I had a pretty decent post going, then did something stupid with my fingers and lost it.  Overcoming writer's block - they rarely mention alcoholic beverages, the old industrial building that I'm in, Wheeling, West Virginia, they used to make barrels for tanks here during World War II, the huge lathes, giant cranes, drills, presses, shears.... my seldom-seen office.  Evening outside, the sun finally over the buildings to the west, a surprisingly strong wind outside making the full summer-green leaves oscillate wildly.  Hot day, wine on an empty stomach, felt a bit queasy there for a while, but got going.  Then, blood-alcohol fingers and WHAMMO it was gone, some strange set of keyboard commands had been issued, not to be recovered from, almost an hour of life lost.  But of course it's not really lost.  It's just damn near dark outside.

U.S. Army Materials Technology Laboratory, Watertown Massachusetts.  A building like the one I'm in right now.  Originally the Watertown Arsenal, established 195 years ago.  Used to be 10,000 people worked there.  Time was, they researched and produced ammunition, experimented on guns and cartridges, figured out how to best use advanced metallurgical processes as they welded and machined heavy artillery.  Later, they worked with depleted uranium to develop shells and armor.  There was even a nuclear reactor for testing purposes there in the 1960's.  In 1988, Congress said it should be shut down.

Big old brick building with big, old multi-pane windows.  Beautiful in its own way.  Late 1800's, early 1900's - they don't build them like that anymore.  Now there are shops, offices, Harvard-affiliated organizations there.  There's a mall, gov't buildings, United Parcel Service, even a yacht club.  Yet wow, you should have seen it in its day.  It cost tens of millions of Dollars to get it all shut down and cleaned up.  There were PCB transformers there, so my company got a call.  I went there for nine or ten years, one, two, maybe three times a year.  Gotta get rid of the liability before things can be sold....  The main brick building is still there, and it looks good.

The end was hard.  There was culture and community within, and now it would be gone.  One old machinist had to be literally dragged away from his post.  Just a skeleton crew at the end, sorrows all around.  My contact person was career Army, I'm shamed to have forgotten his rank; one of the most decent people I've ever known.  His office was full of pictures of the past decades at the plant, of his family, his fellow soldiers, co-workers.  He was all about duty, but it galled him that the place was being shut down.  Good grief, it galled me, and I'd just been a relative sometime-transient.  Yet, this is the way of the world, and in my business I've seen it ever and always - when you close a place down, you have to take care of any PCB liability before you can sell the place, before it can become something else.  October 1998, probably, I walked through those old institutionally colored corridors, government paint schemes, military notices, bulletin boards, huge posters of mission statements.  Up the steps to his office, and there he was, no longer one of thousands, but one of a handful of people left.  He was just one of hundreds of people that I saw, off and on, every year.  I was just one of who-knows-how-many he saw.  Yet - I was always glad to see him, and he was always glad to see me, and thus my throat was a bit tight as I laid the paperwork down on his desk for him to sign.

He signed, I gave him his copy.  He said, "Bye, Doug."  We shook hands.  He wasn't a big guy, and he seemed especially small right then, in the midst of all the large things coming to a close.  Damn me for a fool for not getting his address or phone number.  I walked down, then out, and got into my truck, leaving that last time, working the tractor-trailer through the tight quarters I'd cursed so often - this place had been laid out in horse-and-buggy days, after all. 

As they say, "War is hell," and I don't know that much about it.  I have a brother in the Air Force who was in both "Gulf" wars, now retired.  Our great, great, great grandfather was a Union Army soldier - he was on the side of the North in the US Civil War, a big (said to be 260 lb. or roughly 21 stone, at the least) farm boy from southern Indiana who got captured and spent time in the Andersonville, Georgia prison camp.  He was 90 lb. or 7 stone when he got out, but he lived, and had kids.  His great-grandson, my grandfather, was never in the military, but he was one tough old bird.  My father was born in Aruba in 1937, where at the time my granddad was working in an oil refinery.  This was not the touristy, developed Aruba of the modern era, this was a settlement in the wild, where there basically was no law, where life and limb were not taken for granted, and -- apparently -- my grandfather was a bad-arse, so to speak, his fists speaking most loudly.  Filtering down through the years were also tales of whiskey and wild times, though in his later life he embraced religion and decried all alcohol use.  I never asked him -- he wasn't the type to talk about himself in that way.  He was a very strong man - I was in college in 1977 and I remember him working on his knees, cutting greens -- mustard greens, collards, turnip greens, which he supplied to many residents of inner-city Indianapolis.  He'd load up his pickup truck with bushel baskets full of the stuff, and into town he would go.  To fill the baskets took hours, hours upon hours of working on his knees, cutting, cutting, at age 74.

There is a letter that exists from his earlier life, from the 1920s or early 1930s, when he felt compelled to leave home and go "on the road" literally selling pots and pans. I believe he wrote it from Iowa, where he'd found a farmer who agreed to give him room and board for the summer in exchange for labor.  I guess the pot and pan business wasn't doing all that well.  It's an interesting read, short -- ten pages with big writing on them -- and I'll post it here if I can find it.  A snapshot of how life was, way back then, and at least a sideways glance into the stubborn, determined, yet also possessed of some weaknesses man, hard-to-know, that was my grandfather.  Died in 1997, age 94.  His wife, my grandmother, is still going strong -- she'll be 100 years old this November.  I don't think she has ever had any alcohol.  She was actually my granddad's student at one time -- she being 8 years younger, during a brief stint when he was a teacher in his young life.

Wine-Searcher is showing this Rioja being available for under $30 some places.  Very good deal.  I tread toward the precipice of excess -- the last glass of the second bottle of wine is now poured, my empty stomach being the recipient.  Writ reckless am I.  Very good quality-to-price ratio, methinks; not a wine to be hurried, not a wine to be trifled with, and most satisfying in the end. 

There is a pure world of ice, snow and rock, in the world's high places.  There are enormous reservoirs of cold that exist, they lie at the poles of our world.  They hide as summer comes every year, and appear as winter's banner's unfurled.  Context is everything.  What is our philosophy?  What assumptions do we make?  These, to me, are the heart of the matter, much more than any conclusion we come to, after the fact.  Two bottles of wine gone.

< Message edited by Old Doug -- 7/28/2011 7:41:25 PM >

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 91
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/29/2011 9:05:27 AM   
recotte

Great post, Doug.

The term "Civil War" may be the most ironic phrase ever conceived.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 92
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/29/2011 10:49:34 AM   
Beachrooster

Old Doug,
Recotte is right. Great post! I feel fortunate to share/read your thoughts and feeling that you so elegantly string together. Many of us probably never mention it, but I'm sure most of us think it. I regret (and feel slightly embarrassed) that I do not have the same ability or even capacity to express an idea or emotion as Slaughter or yourself, though I take comfort in that I'm good at what I do. So, thank you for your thoughtful and insightful musing.

"I purchased them to make certain they were cared for properly.
You can't drink them, they're far to valuable.
I'd never sell them, they mean to much to me."
Rotten Scoundrel

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 93
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/29/2011 3:58:22 PM   
Old Doug

Thank you, guys.  Honestly, last night was somewhat strained, me trying to "prime the pump" pretty hard.  I think the best posts/paragraphs/pages write themselves, rather than having to be drafted and redrafted. When it's really good, there is a flow, and it just comes out and onto the page or screen.  Writing matters to me, and it feels good, usually, but yesterday I was really just feeling like trying a couple new wines, and then uh - heh - why not try to write too. 

Eric, yeah, the "Civil" War....  My great-grandmother was born in 1878, and she lived into the 1970's, long enough to tell us kids about all the veterans of that war she had known.  Tales of hardship that seem unreal, as I sit here, well-fed in air-conditioned comfort.  I think the US had roughly 58,000 soldiers die in the Vietnam War, over 12 years.  The Battle of Gettysburg had 51,000 die in three days.

Beachrooster, you're too hard on yourself, and you have a good turn of phrase.  Who knows?  Perhaps the spirit will move you, sometime.

(in reply to Beachrooster)
Post #: 94
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/29/2011 5:14:10 PM   
musedir

Old Doug... Trying to reach enlightened bliss on my Cali Pinot but it ain't coming together... I think inspired words come best from big reds or awesome whites. Efeste Evergreen Feral is a very good quaff but the Pessango Pinot just doesnt inspire literary insights... But the vittles were good and the mood is fine so there you have it.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 95
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/29/2011 8:11:56 PM   
Old Doug

Musedir, don't know really what beverages make for the best inspiration - I've had good luck with "alcoholic" drinks, per se.  

My father-in-law turns 75 this weekend, and tomorrow there's a huge bash in Atlanta in his honor, and it severely pains me that I can't be there.  Armonk, NY, tonight, roughly 30 miles north of NYC.  One saving grace is that there are some wine stores in the NY/NJ/CT area that I've been hankering to hit - they often will have the best prices in the country on WineSearcher for this or that....  Enjoy that hot weather down there, Hoss. 

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 96
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/30/2011 3:31:55 AM   
recotte

I just polished off the Saxum Broken Stones that I started earlier this afternoon.  Given the time span across which it was consumed, I'm not sure if it qualifies me for this thread, even though I did drink the entire bottle solo, the last half of which while watching "From Russia with Love."

Old Doug, getting back to Beachrooster's point, you have a definite knack for this that others of us do not quite possess.  Forced or not, your prose has a certain compelling cadence to it that says, "Listen to me.  Read this."

Some military historians contend that the armies of Alexander the Great, with their training, strategy and tactics could have held their own in every war fought prior to the American Civil War.  It was the first war where advances in military technology, with the advent of Gatling guns, rifled artillery and breech loaded firearms, would overcome Alexander's superior skills.  The result of that progress?  51,000 dead in three days.

There's progress for ya.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 97
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/30/2011 3:28:38 PM   
Ritch T

Is there a version of this thread that covers two bottles?I tend to eat a starter before the main course.

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 98
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/30/2011 3:31:57 PM   
Beachrooster

First laugh out loud I had today. Thanks

Rotten Scoundrel

(in reply to Ritch T)
Post #: 99
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/31/2011 9:01:44 AM   
Old Doug

Hey Ritch!  

Indeed - I believe the worthy Slaughterer has alluded to your proposal; from July 5:  Surprised nobody has taken the "one bottle consumed alone" challenge to the next level in the meantime. (I am baiting excess here).

I've put away three bottles, one of them a port, no less, then posted, but made a lot of mistakes and the whole thing really slowed down.  There are so many variables - what one wants to say, how they want it to look, how much blood does one have, how much tolerance for alcohol they have, what potency of wine they consume, etc.  Big person, drinker, couple bottles of 8 or 9% Riesling, no big deal.  Smaller person, not used to pounding drinks, one bottle of port, maybe hospitalization.

There are no threads, specifically, for "two bottles consumed alone," nor for three or more, at least that I'm aware of.  How much traffic would "four bottles consumed" get?  Maybe a couple posts like, "oh i amsoscrewed"  ?

That said, any thread can be easily started....

Post #: 100
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/31/2011 9:42:01 AM   
slaughterer

"after 1 whole bottle" can come another bottle, of course. So, I take "after 1" to mean ">1." The premise is to start writing "after 1." You can continue consuming more, by all means. (I think I consumed 2 bottles of Angelus 1995 on my first posting.) But also the other premise is "alone." Granted, there is great joy in drinking together. But the essential confrontation with the depths will only take place "alone." You can have some deep conversations with others while drinking to excess. Believe me, I have. But the "after 1 bottle" experiment really requires solitude for the writing, I think. Plus, it is easy to lose count of how much was drunk while drinking with others, obscuring the step where the 1 bottle goalpost is crossed. Please, though, safe harbor rules apply, and do not attempt this at home if you are in ill health, frail, mentally deranged, or on heavy meds.
Old Doug. Nice. The whole family here loves you.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 101
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/31/2011 8:32:28 PM   
Old Doug

1:  2010 Dönnhoff Kreuznacher Krötenpfuhl Riesling Kabinett.  $20, very good quality-to-price ratio.  Gotta like sweet wines, though, to enjoy this one.

2.  1997 David Arthur Cabernet Sauvignon Elevation 1147.  Second-best wine of my life.  So simple, to just say it like that; can that really impart the meaning behind the sentiment?  I doubt it.  Yet I have one glass left, and I treasure that.  Wish all the CellarTrackers could taste this one with me right now.

Waiting in the wings:  1985 Moulin Touchais Coteaux du Layon.  "And just what the hell is that?"  That's what I'd have asked.  Never heard of any such thing until today.  It's constantly obvious to me how little I know compared to so many people on this forum.  A ready familiarity with so many things is often the subtext here, but even to the extent that I've consumed a good bit of wine, I must have missed out somewhere, been unfocused as to remembering things and cataloguing them.

What I've learned today is that Donnhoff once again came though - have I ever had a bad Donnhoff wine?  Also see more than ever just how good a California cab can be.  Not that "I see how good one can be," since perhaps there are heights as yet unscaled by my taste buds, but the David Arthur taught me something.  I cry for the beauty in that wine.  Still half a glass to go.  As one of my favorite vampires said, "The blood is the life."   Not unblooded any longer.  I'm in a hotel room and had no decanter, so I poured the wine into martini glasses to let it breathe.  "Decanting" - ha!  At the very end there were fine, very small particles of sediment that came out of the bottle, and they were like tiny squares of dark chocolate as I licked them from the glass.  I wish there were more.

So then - Moulin Touchais - sweet Chenin Blanc wines from the Loire Valley, made with a strategy - pick about 20% of the grapes 80 days after flowering, so they're vastly acidic, and the other 80% are taken about 120 days after flowering, giving high sugars and strong flavoring.  Mix 'em up and supposedly a good balance results.  Reading from 'Vintage Direct,' an Australian wine merchant's site, it says that "Moulin Touchais are the only winemakers in the world who give a century long guarantee on the longevity of their wines (subject to being kept under optimal cellar conditions)."  Who knew?

Knowing....  Sadly, I now know that I'm fading.  No point in opening the third bottle - Madame Touchais can wait.  So much there was...  "What If Wine Had No Alcohol" - oh yes, that's the ticket.  It's a philosophical opening into the human experience, which isn't linear in the first place.  Drinking is philosophical anyway - the contest of vice and virtue, addiction and enjoyment, short-term lusts against long-term concerns.  I guess if I have a definition of "maturity" it's being able to put off or forego short-term gratification for long-term security/desires.

And just 'drinking' itself.  My friend Graham, from England, working with us in Canada, telling tales of guys going out for lunch to have 6 or 7 pints (and English pints are big) of strong beer or ale, and how then little would get done in the afternoons...  My buddy Grover, who drank more in one day than anybody else I ever saw...  Making maximum Gin & Tonics:  40 ounce bottle of Gin, 40 ounce bottle of Tonic.  Mix them together in a large container, them fill both bottles back up and drink right from them.  Those "40 oz." bottles in Canada, we called them "40 pounders," ah, those were the days.

< Message edited by Old Doug -- 7/31/2011 8:33:53 PM >

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 102
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/1/2011 2:12:56 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

2001 Marqués de Cáceres Rioja Gran Reserva - Viva La España!  Tempranillo + Mazuelo + Graciano grapes.  One of the most dense, toughest corks I've ever encountered.  Damn good wine.

I've had the 2004 Marqués de Cáceres Rioja Crianza. Been a while back though, prior to making detailed notes.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 103
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/1/2011 2:49:11 PM   
musedir

Did you remember to order the Claret with your Dover Sole?

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

I just polished off the Saxum Broken Stones that I started earlier this afternoon.  Given the time span across which it was consumed, I'm not sure if it qualifies me for this thread, even though I did drink the entire bottle solo, the last half of which while watching "From Russia with Love."

Old Doug, getting back to Beachrooster's point, you have a definite knack for this that others of us do not quite possess.  Forced or not, your prose has a certain compelling cadence to it that says, "Listen to me.  Read this."

Some military historians contend that the armies of Alexander the Great, with their training, strategy and tactics could have held their own in every war fought prior to the American Civil War.  It was the first war where advances in military technology, with the advent of Gatling guns, rifled artillery and breech loaded firearms, would overcome Alexander's superior skills.  The result of that progress?  51,000 dead in three days.

There's progress for ya.

quote:

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 104
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/5/2011 10:20:36 AM   
Old Doug

Wrote itself.

The key is in the lock; it turns.  The green button is pushed.  Move the switch from down to up.  The dull indicator becomes lit, and we're away on our journey.  A few beers in a bar, a few vodka and cranberry juices on a plane, pump is primed, all ahead full, six minutes into the afternoon.  My wife and I had a great vacation in Italy, France, and Maine USA.  5 weeks we were together, and now it has been a month, to the day, since I've seen her.  Carla.  A force to be reckoned with.

There is joy within me to say that; she is literally "Teacher of the Year," beloved by all who meet her, mother to 150 kids, aged 15 - 18, every time the calendar rolls around, and a sensitive, complex woman who's married to the oft-times barbarian man-child who's writing this.  She's better than me - she's more steady, though with faults I don't have.  My own faults - thank you very much - are more than enough.

We met on the chance of a wisp of a coincidence in time, both of us "out there" in cyberspace, both of us as we were born into the computer age, raw, potent, elemental.  I cannot imagine being without her.  Well, perhaps I could, but it would be a poor substitute.  I'm her savage, her Phillistine, her caretaker and facilitator.  Some of you will one day meet her, and I daresay you will love her too.  There is a picture that exists - she in her Communion dress at such a young age, all sweetness and light, her face giving no clue of the comparatively harsh reality that awaited her as it awaits us all.  We're now 40 years beyond that face, and I hope I can be worthy of it.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 105
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/5/2011 10:44:12 AM   
Beachrooster

Great post! Its seems that is significantly easier and less risky to spouse bash these days. Its nice to her about someone who stills loves and appreciates their women. Cheers

Rotten Scoundrel

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 106
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/5/2011 9:06:57 PM   
WineTyro

Has anyone ever opened a basic bottle that you enjoy and it blows you away?  I just finished a bottle of 2005 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape and it was singing tonight. Previous bottles have been good but did not make your heart and liver start singing Jackson. Yes I refer to my heart and liver as Johnny Cash and June Carter.  You can figure out which is what. 

This has happened a few times and I wonder how much the mood we are in has to do with the way we interpret how a wine comes across. 

< Message edited by WineTyro -- 8/5/2011 9:12:37 PM >

Post #: 107
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/6/2011 8:18:58 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineTyro

I wonder how much the mood we are in has to do with the way we interpret how a wine comes across.

Personally, I think there is no question about it - there are times when we are just not in the mood to read a book, watch a movie, drink wine, etc., and the experience then cannot be as good as when we're really ready.

(in reply to WineTyro)
Post #: 108
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/12/2011 5:12:20 PM   
Old Doug

Sort Of A Mondegreen

-or-

A Return To One's Hometown

In a way, today was the best of both worlds - the glory of full summer (Northern Hemisphere) and the enticing and restorative hint of the autumn-to-come. Last night it got quite cool, down into the 50's for us Fahrenheiters, or roughly 14 Celsius. This is after a prolonged period of high heat and brutal humidity, and weather like we had today puts a spring in your step, perhaps as does that first whisper of spring as it comes over the horizon after winter's fist has long held the world.

Northeastern Ohio, the midwestern USA. A good supply of rain has things green and healthy-looking, the pastoral landscape of hayfields, corn, pasturelands, all under a blue sky with nary a cloud to be found. Blackberries, heavy on the vine, bend toward the soil. Joe Pye Weed, probably my favorite late-summer plant, is in its glory. The air, the sheer air we breathe and exist in, that air is dryer, so, so different from the recent past. The sun seems brighter, the shadows darker, more focused, much happier. The trees, crops, flowers and weeds all combine for a heady, rich, intoxicating brew for the nostrils.

At its best, it is a very transfretation of the soul, a removal from the "normal mind" castle, over the moat, into the other-worldly and seldom-felt realms that lie outward. The usual orts of existence drop off us, leaving that which is new, and how precious a feeling is that?

At it's worst, well, it is up to one's weakness to find that.

The deity of the Maples was telling me, "Just you wait, Boy, and in two months I'll really show you something." The fall school sports are just around the corner. The kids have been training, and are soon to return to the school year, if they're not there already. Asters and dahlias, gearing up, and I'm driving down the state highway to the first traffic light, where my hometown begins. The light, as it happens, is red.

It turns green; @#%@$? @&#%$!, GO! I'm wondering what the driver of that first vehicle was thinking. Don't they know that when the light turns green, you start moving forward? Now we're moving - if you can call it that - toward the next traffic light, and it's green too. "@&#% me, they're not even going the speed limit, and it's going to turn red!" Sure as Hades, the accursed thing turns red, stopping the entire line of vehicles, where in any normal or decent or respectable place the whole string would have made it through. :: shaking my head ::

Green. "Okay.....?" OH COME ON, YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! The first car waits at least three seconds and then crawls forward like there is some sort of big prize for going slowly. "You idiots!" What in the %@$# is wrong with these &^%$@#$ ******-******* clowns?! Get the **** out of my ******* way!!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 109
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/12/2011 5:18:20 PM   
musedir

If you were sharing my Milbrandt Syrah you woul simply say feck off to those annoying drivers because you really wouldn't give a s#+t! Party on Old Doug.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 110
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/12/2011 5:26:07 PM   
Old Doug

Sadly, O Worthy Musedir, I was as yet non-unsobered at the time. Yea, though perhaps 'twould have blunted my passion, so would it have made me thrice-vulnerable to arrest; and said vulnerability was already at epic heights considering my driving actions as I fled that land of somnolence, languor, and horrendous malaise.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 111
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/12/2011 5:54:50 PM   
recotte

Ah, the promise of things to come, carried on the gentle winds of today. Love it.

Likewise, if you had shared the Figeac that, alas, is no more, you wouldn't have cared so much about that car in front of you. However, I feel your pain, given the rampant idiocy I see on the roadways each and every day.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 112
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/12/2011 8:13:15 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

However, I feel your pain, given the rampant idiocy I see on the roadways each and every day.

Thou speakest truly. However, you live in California, where at least they know how to merge into traffic.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 113
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/18/2011 4:19:44 PM   
Old Doug

The parts that people play in others' lives....

To those who have gone before, and to those who are coming now. The promise of the new is here and around, as is the essence of the departed, a small and tender wind caressing our face.

A holiday season party, where a capable man named Gabriel faces the unexpected, awkward situations, differences of opinion, miscommunication, embarrassment, self-doubt, gaps in his knowledge, and feelings of insignificance and isolation. He's reminded of his own mortality, and the mortality of us all. A short story by James Joyce, then still in his 20s, himself a capable man, especially when it came to writing, sure in his pride and passion that his collection of short stories - 'Dubliners' - was important. It was, and is; and in the last tale, 'The Dead,' Gabriel also finds out about his wife's former love, a boy who died. The last few paragraphs of it will follow. I thought of them today. There is sadness, and happiness. Outside my window: green leaves on the near trees and on the far ones, high on the hill, closer to the white clouds and blue sky, the sun lowering, the Golden Hour is here. Mr. Joyce's deep beauty, from more than a century past:

____

Gabriel, leaning on his elbow, looked for a few moments unresentfully on her tangled hair and half-open mouth, listening to her deep-drawn breath. So she had had that romance in her life: a man had died for her sake. It hardly pained him now to think how poor a part he, her husband, had played in her life. He watched her while she slept as though he and she had never lived together as man and wife. His curious eyes rested long upon her face and on her hair: and, as he thought of what she must have been then, in that time of her first girlish beauty, a strange friendly pity for her entered his soul. He did not like to say even to himself that her face was no longer beautiful but he knew that it was no longer the face for which Michael Furey had braved death.

Perhaps she had not told him all the story. His eyes moved to the chair over which she had thrown some of her clothes. A petticoat string dangled to the floor. One boot stood upright, its limp upper fallen down: the fellow of it lay upon its side. He wondered at his riot of emotions of an hour before. From what had it proceeded? From his aunt's supper, from his own foolish speech, from the wine and dancing, the merry-making when saying good-night in the hall, the pleasure of the walk along the river in the snow. Poor Aunt Julia! She, too, would soon be a shade with the shade of Patrick Morkan and his horse. He had caught that haggard look upon her face for a moment when she was singing 'Arrayed for the Bridal.' Soon, perhaps, he would be sitting in that same drawing-room, dressed in black, his silk hat on his knees.The blinds would be drawn down and Aunt Kate would be sitting beside him, crying and blowing her nose and telling him how Julia had died. He would cast about in his mind for some words that might console her, and would find only lame and useless ones. Yes, yes: that would happen very soon.

The air of the room chilled his shoulders. He stretched himself cautiously along under the sheets and lay down beside his wife. One by one they were all becoming shades. Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age. He thought of how she who lay beside him had locked in her heart for so many years that image of her lover's eyes when he had told her that he did not wish to live.

Generous tears filled Gabriel's eyes. He had never felt like that himself towards any woman but he knew that such a feeling must be love. The tears gathered more thickly in his eyes and in the partial darkness he imagined he saw the form of a young man standing under a dripping tree. Other forms were near. His soul had approached that region where dwell the vast hosts of the dead. He was conscious of, but could not apprehend, their wayward and flickering existence. His own identity was fading out into a grey impalpable world: the solid world itself which these dead had one time reared and lived in was dissolving and dwindling.

A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, fartherwestward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 114
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/18/2011 5:28:27 PM   
recotte

Doug, you've managed to select some of my favorite passages from my favorite short story in all of literature.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 115
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/18/2011 6:46:52 PM   
Wine_Strategies

mangum s cownt, riggth?

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 116
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/18/2011 6:59:24 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

mangum s cownt, riggth?

:: makes 'Thumbs-Up' gesture ::

For 2!

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 117
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/18/2011 9:47:40 PM   
Old Doug

For once, I was going to go to bed at a respectable hour..... Within an hour of "Friday First Pour' here.

quote:

Doug, you've managed to select some of my favorite passages from my favorite short story in all of literature.

:: hand-shake ::

Eric, I can't read it aloud without soon totally choking up (I suppose unless I've had enough, but certainly not too much, wine). Really - of what I copied, that second sentence alone: So she had had that romance in her life... it being the thought of her husband, and him being not involved in that romance*. Whew...

From print, can't read it to myself, no matter the silence, without soon crying, either. Hell's Bells - after it being out of my immediate consciousness for months - can't even but think of it that it doesn't bring tears to my eyes. Okay, well, anyway....

Somewhere out there every lost child has returned home. Somewhere, we all get one more talk with the loved one who's gone.

Somewhere - there's to be a really big offline get-together with lots of good wine, and yeah - James Joyce will be there. Boudicca of the Celts, Lao Tzu, Jackie Onassis, Shakespeare, Joan of Arc, Michaelangelo, Indira Ghandi, Da Vinci, Sarojini Naidu (first Indian woman president of the Indian National Congress. She called herself a "poetess-singer" - love that), Max Planck, Plato, Cixi, (Last Dowager Empress of China), John Locke, Margaret Thatcher, Genghis Khan (may limit how much he gets served), Sappho, Augustus Caesar, Cookiefiend and her grand-daughter, Aristotle, Withnail, Gutenberg, hopefully old Bacchus himself.... Oh yeah, Ann Colgin, Alexia Luca de Tena, Helen Turley, Merry Edwards, Isabelle Baratin-Canet, Heidi Barret, Susana Balbo - gotta keep us crazy boys straight!

To the heart of things: Beachrooster's description of his grandmother: She had a heart of gold, and spent the last thirty years taking care of others and giving back to her community. Beachrooster, never, ever, doubt that you can write. John, I hope you say it again, I hope you say it a hundred different ways.

My wife's grandma died 5 years ago. Little old Italian lady, 4 feet, 8 inches tall. "Marie." She was a "care-taker," too, of her three sons, one of whom is my father-in-law. And of so many nieces and nephews and then the next generation down that I just can't imagine.... I met her late in her life - I married her grand-daughter when her grand-daughter was 38. Heck, darn near 39. "You're a good boy, Doug! She said - since I ate up all the meat loaf, corn, and potatoes she put in front of me. I like to think it wasn't only that; she'd been married to a truly hard man with his own hard story - born in Agrigento, Sicily, to poor parents, sent to the "new world," New York, USA at the age of 2, sent back when apparently they didn't have enough money to keep him, returned to the US under what circumstances we don't really know now.... "Carlo" - he died before I met my wife-to-be, his grand-daughter.

There is a progression in my wife's family very similar to what I see in my own - the great-grandparents were products of their time and often - comparitively "hard" situations. Their kids had it somewhat better, but still a "tough go" from what we now 'expect.' The next generation - me, my wife, etc. people born in the 1950s and 1960s, wow do we have it good, yet some of our parents really did "afflict" us to some extent. Sounds rough, but in my wife's family it's true. Then are the kids, "now." This generation is growing up so comparitively sweet - really nicely and mostly unaffected by the "bad" social/familial things that can be passed down the line. (That said, I think we are headed into economic times that will have some serious consequences - not only slowing the perception that things "should always get better," but that "they're getting worse," and I bet we see some "hard" repercussions of that too).

Well, I can certainly run my yap, can't I? Marie - my wife's grandma - she liked me because I got nicer, rather than mean, when I was drinking. She wasn't used to that in a man. I've said it before about my wife's family - they *notice* that.

So, thinking of "The Dead' and the separation between spouses that may be there, even unbeknownst, I don't think my wife has any real secrets from me. She's introspective, smart as heck, capable in ways I'm not, yet still indealistic and romantic in different ways from me - there is some "trust" in her that I'm just as I seem.

*SLAUGHTERER* alert - going back to what the Topic originator requested: "the more embarassing and confessional the better. Please."

(Oh, the drama, eh? ) In 1990, while working in British Columbia, I met Iris - I was 30, she was 23. *IT* was there - even as I was an American "transient" working all over Canada, man - that girl had me from the first time I saw her. She was an "intern" working at an aluminum smelter during the summer - a program designed to give the kids of permament employees some experience and money in-between years of college. Long story short: was nuts about her, proposed to come back and stay with her during my next time off work, she agreed, said she liked me too. Time came, I flew back to the area - she'd met a local guy in the intervening time. Wow. Took me a little while to accept it, but in the end "there it was." Wrote her a 100-page letter (this was in the days of writing/printing with a pen, on paper) about how I felt. (She later responded, impressed - and I've always thought of her as a friend and that I should just call her) - and maybe I will ( I should) but I also wrote a letter to the members of my family, describing the experience, saying it was one of the worst days of my life when she told me, but also one of the best weeks of my life as I took stock of the people (my family - that I truly *did* have).

Well, it's Friday morning here, and I'm out of wine.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 118
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/18/2011 10:11:01 PM   
recotte

Once again, Doug, you've done more than justice to the intent of this thread.  And I couldn't agree with you more regarding Beachrooster's writing.  Where you yourself have a more Joycean bent, I'd say Beach trends more towards Hemingway, with a charged scarcity in his prose, each a pleasure to read in its own right.  Kudos and cheers to you both.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 119
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/19/2011 4:59:17 AM   
dontime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Well, it's Friday morning here, and I'm out of wine.

But fortunately for us, Doug, never out of words...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI