CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Cayuse

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cayuse Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
[Poll]

Cayuse

1-3 years
  48% (48)
4-6 years
  21% (21)
Seems like forever
  31% (31)

Total Votes : 100

(last vote on : 10/24/2023 10:59:39 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cayuse - 1/9/2016 8:13:18 PM   
mye

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

Over8ed. I asked them to remove me from the list a year ago, but I got the rejection letter. Thanks but no thanks. Anybody wanting my 2009 GOK can have it for what I paid at Total wines. So many great wines to play this marketing game. I guess I need to unsubscribe too.

Is it really a marketing game? that would imply they have the wine but don't wanna sell it to people.. or is it really just high demand and not enough supply?

I don't think they have trucks full of wine that they can't sell and drumming up 'perceived' demand by limiting people?

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 121
RE: Cayuse - 1/9/2016 8:30:30 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

quote:

Over8ed. I asked them to remove me from the list a year ago, but I got the rejection letter. Thanks but no thanks. Anybody wanting my 2009 GOK can have it for what I paid at Total wines. So many great wines to play this marketing game. I guess I need to unsubscribe too.

Is it really a marketing game? that would imply they have the wine but don't wanna sell it to people.. or is it really just high demand and not enough supply?

I don't think they have trucks full of wine that they can't sell and drumming up 'perceived' demand by limiting people?

It isn't a marketing game.

Trevor and Christophe are above board; they actually handle the manner of allocations in a very fair way in my opinion, ensuring wait list always gets some decent allocation each year for new people to be added to the active list.

There are a lot of names on the wait list for limited production. No different than SQN, Alban, or any other cult Rhone styled wine.

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 122
RE: Cayuse - 1/10/2016 12:28:56 AM   
dsGris

I personally have the utmost respect for them and have said before in relation to them and their neighbors that I do not begrudge them making a good return. After all they are in the business to make money, and they produce a product that gets rave reviews. I also commend not boosting the price to the secondary market levels. Other than a single bottle of Lafitte, Cayuse are the only wines in my cellar that are worth more than I paid for them. I am on the downward slope for buying ageable wines. If I were the age of my kids, I would wait and enjoy the payoff. I am on the cusp for next year, but drinking will probably be reserved for the family. I hope they like them. My wife will say, "sell and buy some good chard or pinot gris."

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 123
RE: Cayuse - 1/14/2016 4:17:49 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

quote:

Trevor and Christophe are above board; they actually handle the manner of allocations in a very fair way in my opinion, ensuring wait list always gets some decent allocation each year for new people to be added to the active list.

There are a lot of names on the wait list for limited production. No different than SQN, Alban, or any other cult Rhone styled wine.

Another thing I forgot to mention...

They actually do right by their employees, animals, and the Earth. While many vineyards use migrant workers for Pruning/Harvest, Cayuse keeps their crew on payroll year round. I'm sure there is always something to do project/maintenance/upkeep wise, but this is a big commitment. They also till with Draft horses several of the vineyards, and have on-site horses, pigs, etc. as part of their Biodynamic commitment.

Everyone's mileage may vary regarding perceived QPR, but I think they are more than just prices and scores, and I like them for it.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 124
RE: Cayuse - 1/14/2016 4:21:47 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Darn that Hollowine! Darn him to heck!

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Blame Hollowine.

Just saw these...

Hater's gonna Hate...at least until the next time we are sharing one, eh?

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 125
RE: Cayuse - 1/14/2016 4:32:09 PM   
Slye

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They actually do right by their employees, animals, and the Earth. While many vineyards use migrant workers for Pruning/Harvest, Cayuse keeps their crew on payroll year round. I'm sure there is always something to do project/maintenance/upkeep wise, but this is a big commitment. They also till with Draft horses several of the vineyards, and have on-site horses, pigs, etc. as part of their Biodynamic commitment.

Everyone's mileage may vary regarding perceived QPR, but I think they are more than just prices and scores, and I like them for it.

Oh I did not know that about the year round labor -- that makes me like the wines even more!

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 126
RE: Cayuse - 1/16/2016 12:18:59 PM   
Sauvyfan

I've been waiting 5+ years on Cayuse, maybe longer. I was allocated No Girls after just two years, but have yet to open one. My experience with Cayuse is several of the '07 Syrahs, an '03 En Chamberlain, and the '08 Bionic Frog. I've also had the '09 God Only Knows, (disappointed). All the Syrahs were wonderful, and the Bionic Frog was the best New World red I have had to date.

(in reply to copdyke)
Post #: 127
RE: Cayuse - 1/17/2016 6:58:24 AM   
annerk

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree Scott. I am much more inclined to buy from those who are good stewards of the land and who treat those who toil for them fairly. I believe that Shafer and Schramsberg in Napa do as well.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 128
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 4:27:50 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

It's that time of year to bump the Cayuse Wait List roll call! No soup for me again. ...been waiting since 1879.

Yet again...DENIED

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 129
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 4:41:48 PM   
recotte

I also received my annual "no soup for you" email this afternoon. C'est la vie....

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 130
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 4:53:19 PM   
dontime

No soup for me also. Life, with plenty of good wine, will go on...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 131
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 5:04:18 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

+1 and I have made the Reynvaan list so that helps a lot...

-M

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 132
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 5:11:13 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

+1 and I have made the Reynvaan list so that helps a lot...

-M

Ditto.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 133
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 5:17:01 PM   
recotte

I stopped buying Reynvaan a couple of years ago so have been dropped from their list. You're welcome.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 134
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 5:20:13 PM   
CranBurgundy

Where's the option for never applied to be on the list and/or don't care?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 135
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 5:31:26 PM   
dsGris

Got on the No Girls list, and after much trepidation, about 3 seconds, put in my Cayuse order when finally given the "OK, your in buddy" last Sept. I really cannot afford either, so need to cut back which hasn't happened for some strange reason. But I will not buy anything on Berserker Day.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 136
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 6:01:05 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

Got on the No Girls list, and after much trepidation, about 3 seconds, put in my Cayuse order when finally given the "OK, your in buddy" last Sept. I really cannot afford either, so need to cut back which hasn't happened for some strange reason. But I will not buy anything on Berserker Day.

FLW

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 137
RE: Cayuse - 12/27/2016 7:05:51 PM   
Jack667

Me two, denied!

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 138
RE: Cayuse - 12/28/2016 3:41:16 AM   
BornToRhone

Yessir - denied as well...

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 139
RE: Cayuse - 12/28/2016 6:42:41 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

FLW

Yeah, I'm not buying anything on BD either...

Still no Cayuse here.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 140
RE: Cayuse - 12/28/2016 4:41:53 PM   
khmark7

No soup for me.....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 141
RE: Cayuse - 12/28/2016 9:17:20 PM   
mc2 wines

Will happily buy when we officially make the list, but sadly this is again not the year. What can you do? Got on Horsepower when it first opened up so we have at least a few Christophe wines bouncing around.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 142
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 12/29/2016 9:30:46 AM   
Jenise

Would guess I've been on the list for 6-8 years.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 143
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 12/29/2016 9:51:41 AM   
kcbrian

six to eight years...........that is depressing. I have only been on for six or seven. At least they send an email each year with the bad news

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 144
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/1/2017 1:27:11 PM   
SkeBum

I got my rejection email also the other day. I'm going on 6 yrs on the wait list. By the time I get on the allocation list, I will have forgotten why I signed up in the first place.

(in reply to kcbrian)
Post #: 145
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/2/2017 1:40:18 PM   
ShawnM789

Got my annual rejection letter. But the good is that I got
In for Horsepower.

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 146
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/2/2017 2:42:24 PM   
mclancy10006

I should I feel better that I got rejected sooner than some of you? Any glimmer at this point.

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 147
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/4/2017 2:48:44 PM   
nyccablover

Got my rejection on 12/27 - I am just coming up on six years on the wait list in April 2017. From the stories above it appears that this maybe a terminal condition. Oh well - lots of other wine out there to enjoy.....

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 148
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/5/2017 3:48:25 AM   
lockestep

Rejected for the 5th year. Dejected that so many six years are ahead of me on this thread.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to nyccablover)
Post #: 149
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/5/2017 6:01:31 AM   
Hollowine

As I've said before, Trevor and Christophe at Cayuse actually make more of an effort than many other wineries I know to allocate a % of every year to people on the waiting list. Chin up, it will happen.

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cayuse Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI