CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Wine glasses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Wine glasses Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wine glasses - 3/20/2013 8:58:24 AM   
NathanT

quote:

ORIGINAL: dbg

This makes sense to me. But isn't the olfactory sense initially triggered during swirling and sniffing prior to sipping? Though to your point I think most of us continue to inhale as the wine starts to enter the mouth.

David,

Good discussion. I think we pretty much agreed on this topic. I do think the olfactory sense contributes to much of the taste perception throughout the tasting experience, the initial sniffing and during drinking if the wine continues to release aromatic compounds.

Even though I believe that glass shape contributes to better tasting experience, I don't spend more than $20 on a brand glass. It's just not worth it.

Nathan

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 61
RE: Wine glasses - 3/21/2013 12:43:30 PM   
mgriffith

Glassware makes a difference?

Who knew?

(in reply to NathanT)
Post #: 62
RE: Wine glasses - 3/21/2013 12:50:38 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: NathanT

quote:

ORIGINAL: dbg

This makes sense to me. But isn't the olfactory sense initially triggered during swirling and sniffing prior to sipping? Though to your point I think most of us continue to inhale as the wine starts to enter the mouth.

David,

Good discussion. I think we pretty much agreed on this topic. I do think the olfactory sense contributes to much of the taste perception throughout the tasting experience, the initial sniffing and during drinking if the wine continues to release aromatic compounds.

Even though I believe that glass shape contributes to better tasting experience, I don't spend more than $20 on a brand glass. It's just not worth it.

Nathan

I can't afford every glass, but there is a tremendous difference. If money was no object it would be totally worth it. I have Riedel Som Rhone glasses; you wouldn't believe the difference they make. Unfortunately they are too fragile for me to pull them out for every Rhone I drink.
And since neither Malcolm nor I will never win the lottery () I'll never afford them all. I understand that you need to buy a ticket to win.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to NathanT)
Post #: 63
RE: Wine glasses - 3/21/2013 1:39:24 PM   
mgriffith

It's blatant discrimination to limit winners to only people who bought tickets!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 64
RE: Wine glasses - 3/21/2013 6:37:10 PM   
rwilk_2000

I have to admit, I was getting some glass envy. My "nice" glass has been reidel "o" stemless . My stems are old school pottery barn that we registered for 10 years ago when I got married. Been surfing around looking for glasses and about to pull the trigger. Really like the Zaltos.

So tonight I am looking through my glassware and what do my eyes behold, but 2 reidel vinum cab glasses. Totally forgot I got them at a tasting a few years ago. That will save me a few bucks for awhile. Guess I will spend the money on juice instead.......

It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 65
RE: Wine glasses - 3/22/2013 12:20:42 AM   
dsGris

My son and DIL bought us some nice, not super glasses so they could appreciate my wine. They are a bit self centered, but who's counting, they let us watch their kids!

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 66
RE: Wine glasses - 3/24/2013 8:25:20 PM   
SmallvilleGirl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

In case anyone is interested in the Zalto glasses. I went into Weygandt wines in DC today planning on buying some Schott Zweisel, but they have the Zalto glasses for $45/each, and we got an even better deal than that, so I picked up a couple Burgs. http://www.weygandtwines.com/

They don't have them on the website, but you could call them. They ship. At $45 or better (wink wink), thats the best price I can find. They had the Burgundy, Bordeaux, White, and Champagne flute.

I wish I would've read this last week! I just went on winemonger.com and bought Zalto 1 Bordeaux, 1 Burg, 1 Universal and 1 Dessert. 4 glasses for $255. The glasses are fabulous though. I like them better than my SZ I got from pottery barn (the website doesn't specify which SZ). I am curious if the SZ Enoteca or 1872 The First would be worth getting to compare.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 67
RE: Wine glasses - 3/25/2013 2:44:17 AM   
Ibetian

I bought some Zaltos. Only had them a couple of days. They look fragile but beautiful, and it is a great pleasure to drink from them. They are fine in the dishwasher, but they do take up a lot of room in the cabinet and the dishwasher.

They will be wonderful until I break one.

(in reply to SmallvilleGirl)
Post #: 68
RE: Wine glasses - 3/25/2013 9:25:35 PM   
recotte

In the interest of science...

For this particular bottle, the Riedel Vinum Pinot Noir and Zalto Burg glasses were neck and neck, with the Vinum Bordeaux next in line. Interestingly, the Sommelier Bordeaux made the nose completely disappear on this wine, which was a bit shy to begin with.

Half of the bottle had been saved for tomorrow night in order to continue my investigation.

Who will be the winner... Zalto vs. Riedel... stay tuned....

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 69
RE: Wine glasses - 3/26/2013 12:05:01 AM   
NathanT

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

I can't afford every glass, but there is a tremendous difference. If money was no object it would be totally worth it. I have Riedel Som Rhone glasses; you wouldn't believe the difference they make.

S1,

I have not tried every glass shapes; therefore, I don't know if there is a sizable difference, say from a Rhone glass vs a Bordeaux glass. But in my opinion, the significant difference would come from a significant change in glass shape, say a Bordeaux glass vs a Burgundy glass.

Also, money is an object to me. I would rather spend it on the wine.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 70
RE: Wine glasses - 3/26/2013 12:08:37 AM   
NathanT

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

In the interest of science...

For this particular bottle, the Riedel Vinum Pinot Noir and Zalto Burg glasses were neck and neck, with the Vinum Bordeaux next in line. Interestingly, the Sommelier Bordeaux made the nose completely disappear on this wine, which was a bit shy to begin with.

Half of the bottle had been saved for tomorrow night in order to continue my investigation.

But but but... what about standard deviation? Placebo effect?

You should have invited John and I over, and let your wife be the administrator

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 71
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 8:54:09 AM   
recotte

quote:

But but but... what about standard deviation? Placebo effect?

You should have invited John and I over, and let your wife be the administrator

Always the scientist!

(in reply to NathanT)
Post #: 72
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 8:58:32 AM   
recotte

quote:

Day 2... the wine itself opened up considerably overnight and was showing better than Day 1 in both the Riedel Pinot and Zalto Burg glasses.

Neither was a loser; the Zalto, however, was the clear winner of the evening, really capturing and concentrating the nose in a more dramatic fashion than the Riedel.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 73
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 9:12:54 AM   
Ibetian

We did a similar test with our new Zalto glasses and the Zalto burg was a clear winner, even for Bords. My wife said it was like having a glass and decanter in one, since the bottom of the bowl is so big but the tapering to a small opening really concentrated the nose wonderfully. The glass itself is very thin, delicate and beautiful. The glasses are huge, and take up a lot of space in the cabinet and dishwasher, so not terribly practical. And expensive, of course.

But if things keep going as they did last weekend, I see more Zalto burg glasses in our future.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 74
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 9:15:04 AM   
Bryan Collins

Dishwasher?! Don't... Hot water and a pair of microfibre cloths.

They're underneath the house, where I do quite a bit of stowin'...

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 75
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 9:27:44 AM   
Ibetian

Hi BC,

The winemonger web site, where I bought these glasses, says they are "dishwasher safer," since the pressure on the inside of the glass from hand washing is more likely to cause breakage. Having broken Riedel sons in my hand exactly that way, it rings true to me. They also say the glasses can take hundreds of passes through the dishwasher without clouding. I figure the dishwasher is quicker, easier and safer.

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 76
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 9:42:02 AM   
Bryan Collins

Fair enough! I wouldn't be brave enough, I must admit. I've used them for a few years now and not broken one by cleaning yet.

They're underneath the house, where I do quite a bit of stowin'...

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 77
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 9:48:42 AM   
oskiwawa

Wait till the next day when sober, hand wash, hold the bowl not the stem and I have had only one or two Riedel vinums break over the last several years. Breakage has always been the result of a careless bang and not the actual washing. Complete agreement on the hot water and lint free cloth method. Minor rant while I am at it. Someone coming over for dinner and coating the side of the glass with lipstick ..... grrrrrr.

Post #: 78
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 9:49:15 AM   
SmallvilleGirl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bryan Collins

Fair enough! I wouldn't be brave enough, I must admit. I've used them for a few years now and not broken one by cleaning yet.

My dishwasher detergent is pretty strong and sometimes I can even taste it on my plates/drinking glasses (Yuck!) So I would hate to have that on my glasses. I use a wine glass cleaning brush and wash all my Zaltos and Riedels with just hot (not scalding) water and wipe dry with a microfibre cloth.

Post #: 79
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 10:01:21 AM   
recotte

I also use the hot water/hand dry method for cleaning and have only lost one glass when I accidentally torqued it too much while holding both the bowl and the foot of the glass. User error.

But oh, man, those Zaltos... I'm a convert. While not cheap, they're half the price of Sommeliers. And I also agree with the comment above that they're like a decanter. They're so flat and wide, it is a little unusual at first, but with really lovely results.

Post #: 80
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 10:04:57 AM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

I also use the hot water/hand dry method for cleaning and have only lost one glass when I accidentally torqued it too much while holding both the bowl and the foot of the glass. User error.

But oh, man, those Zaltos... I'm a convert. While not cheap, they're half the price of Sommeliers. And I also agree with the comment above that they're like a decanter. They're so flat and wide, it is a little unusual at first, but with really lovely results.

They are $64 each with free shiipping on all orders for the next 4 days (thru WineEnthusiast site)

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 81
RE: Wine glasses - 3/27/2013 12:11:05 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ibetian

Thanks to you guys I ordered 2 each of Zalto bords, burgs and champagne. Not sure whether to thank or curse you...

I bought Zalto Champagne glasses on a recommendation and LOVE them!!! Friends of mine also rave about the Burgundy glasses, which I have used once and concur, they are very nice. The Zalto Stems in the hand are totally freaky in how light and balanced they can be.

I bought the Riedel Somm series Sauternes glass on Tacman's recommendation and LOVE them!!!

All of the above are spendy, and I won't break them out for our casual wine drinking friends due to risk of breakage, but I feel they all truly elevate the enjoyment factor.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 82
RE: Wine glasses - 4/2/2013 8:13:38 PM   
rwilk_2000

Had a fun wine tasting tonight at our country club. Reidel rep ran us through an exercise of using proper reidel glasses by varietal versus a standard banquet glass or a plastic glass. Used our house wines to see if the glasses made a difference. It was really interesting to see how a Pinot tasted in the chard glass vs the burg glass. Or how a reisling changes between the reisling glass vs the house glass. Party favor was a vinum xl variety pack for all attendees. Good time if you get the chance. Our reidel rep said he travels and does these seminars 3 times a week. Of course there is a sales pitch to buy "at cost". If you want more.....

It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 83
RE: Wine glasses - 4/2/2013 9:11:05 PM   
ericindc

We have the burgs, and they really do make a difference. Plus, they are just marvelous pieces of glass art. I do get nervous washing them. I am very slow and deliberate. I also recommend getting a drying hanger for the glasses.

I have some Reidel Bordeaux that are pretty good, but my next Zalto glasses will be the whites since they also work really well for aged vintage champagne.

Again, I want to recommend Weygandt wines. The Zaltos are $45 per glass, and they should ship.
http://www.weygandtwines.com/. May have to call since they are not listed on their website.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 84
RE: Wine glasses - 4/3/2013 7:12:21 AM   
SmallvilleGirl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

We have the burgs, and they really do make a difference. Plus, they are just marvelous pieces of glass art. I do get nervous washing them. I am very slow and deliberate. I also recommend getting a drying hanger for the glasses.

I have some Reidel Bordeaux that are pretty good, but my next Zalto glasses will be the whites since they also work really well for aged vintage champagne.

Again, I want to recommend Weygandt wines. The Zaltos are $45 per glass, and they should ship.
http://www.weygandtwines.com/. May have to call since they are not listed on their website.

Have you tried the Zalto Universal for your whites? The man from Weygandt recommended them to me over the White Zalto.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 85
RE: Wine glasses - 4/3/2013 7:52:43 AM   
ericindc

No, I havent. Next time I go in I will talk to them about the difference between the white and universal for the whites that I tend to drink.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

Post #: 86
RE: Wine glasses - 4/3/2013 8:19:07 AM   
NathanT

Just curious... if the glass shape makes the wine opens up differently, then does the brand matter? There are generic glasses that cost about 10 times less with similar shapes (not for the Zalto though, have not seen the generic version of it).

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 87
RE: Wine glasses - 4/3/2013 9:33:24 AM   
gilrbo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SmallvilleGirl

Have you tried the Zalto Universal for your whites? The man from Weygandt recommended them to me over the White Zalto.

I have the Burg and the Universal and like them a lot.
Reason for getting the Universal is that I thought they would go better with lighter reds.
Moreover I liked them better than the Whites.

By the way, I love to drink "serious" whites in the Burgundy glasses.

Post #: 88
RE: Wine glasses - 4/3/2013 9:47:29 PM   
dbg

quote:

Just curious... if the glass shape makes the wine opens up differently, then does the brand matter? There are generic glasses that cost about 10 times less with similar shapes (not for the Zalto though, have not seen the generic version of it).

It's the shape, not the brand. At least to my palate in several independent (ie not run by sales folks) comparative tastings.

David G

(in reply to NathanT)
Post #: 89
RE: Wine glasses - 4/4/2013 8:39:04 AM   
Ibetian

Most of my wine glasses are the solid, practical, attractive and functional SZs. The seldom break, they are easy to clean, and I always think they present the wine well.

The difference with the high end glasses, IMO, is that they are much more than just a vessel for wine, they are works of art. My new Zaltos are just beautiful creatures. Holding them feels like a privilege, they are so light, thin, elegant and perfectly balanced. When you put your nose in the glasses the perfume is overwhelming. The lip is so this it feels like there is nothing between you and the wine.

They will never be my everyday wine glasses, and my ardor for them will likely cool once I've broken a couple. At $60 they aren't cheap, but heck I routinely spend more than that on a bottle of wine, and I have nothing of value to show for it the next day.

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Wine glasses Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI