CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Wine glasses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Wine glasses Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wine glasses - 4/4/2013 9:14:00 AM   
oskiwawa

+1 here. There is an aesthetic value to really nice wine glasses that is darn near equal to the improvement in the actual wine properties. Just looking at one empty then picking it up and feeling it in your hand is a big difference vs. utilitarian stemware of the same shape. The same is true as to the feel as you drink from it. That said, the bottom line is try several and then drink with whatever you get the most value and enjoyment out of. In the end it comes down to personal preference.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ibetian

Most of my wine glasses are the solid, practical, attractive and functional SZs. The seldom break, they are easy to clean, and I always think they present the wine well.

The difference with the high end glasses, IMO, is that they are much more than just a vessel for wine, they are works of art. My new Zaltos are just beautiful creatures. Holding them feels like a privilege, they are so light, thin, elegant and perfectly balanced. When you put your nose in the glasses the perfume is overwhelming. The lip is so this it feels like there is nothing between you and the wine.

They will never be my everyday wine glasses, and my ardor for them will likely cool once I've broken a couple. At $60 they aren't cheap, but heck I routinely spend more than that on a bottle of wine, and I have nothing of value to show for it the next day.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 91
RE: Wine glasses - 4/4/2013 3:36:52 PM   
SmallvilleGirl

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

+1 here. There is an aesthetic value to really nice wine glasses that is darn near equal to the improvement in the actual wine properties. Just looking at one empty then picking it up and feeling it in your hand is a big difference vs. utilitarian stemware of the same shape. The same is true as to the feel as you drink from it. That said, the bottom line is try several and then drink with whatever you get the most value and enjoyment out of. In the end it comes down to personal preference.

quote:

Most of my wine glasses are the solid, practical, attractive and functional SZs. The seldom break, they are easy to clean, and I always think they present the wine well.

The difference with the high end glasses, IMO, is that they are much more than just a vessel for wine, they are works of art. My new Zaltos are just beautiful creatures. Holding them feels like a privilege, they are so light, thin, elegant and perfectly balanced. When you put your nose in the glasses the perfume is overwhelming. The lip is so this it feels like there is nothing between you and the wine.

They will never be my everyday wine glasses, and my ardor for them will likely cool once I've broken a couple. At $60 they aren't cheap, but heck I routinely spend more than that on a bottle of wine, and I have nothing of value to show for it the next day.

+1 as well :)

I had 7 friends at my house a few days ago and they are all novices at tasting and drink maybe $10-12 bottles on average- $25 max. I poured a $20 2010 Thorn-Clarke Shotfire Shiraz Barossa Valley in a Schott Zwiesel, Zalto Universal, Zalto Bordeaux, and Zalto Burgundy. They had no idea the same wine was in all the glasses. All of them immediately commented on the aroma coming from the Zalto Bordeaux and then went crazy over the aroma in the Zalto Burgundy. They unanimously agreed that the wine that was in the Zalto Burgundy was the best-tasting wine. I don't know if you would consider that a good enough experiment since everyone was a casual wine-drinker but I thought it was interesting!

I, myself drink from my Zaltos every day but when friends are over I give them SZ unless it's a good friend who I know will be careful.

ETA: I bought a $16 Torrontes from a local wine shop during a free tasting. I just tasted it tonight in my Zalto Universal and surprisingly did not like it as much as I did at the store. I remembered it being more flavorful and less tart. I am wondering if these Zaltos expose more flaws and maybe certain wines won't show as well? I am no expert so please-any thoughts on that?

< Message edited by SmallvilleGirl -- 4/4/2013 4:21:16 PM >

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 92
RE: Wine glasses - 4/4/2013 8:15:46 PM   
jimmythesaint

I'm with BorntoRhone and use Andrea's "The One" white and red glasses. I still have Riedel pinot, syrah, sauv blanc glasses but just a pain to deal with when enjoying good wine during the week. I'm sure the other glasses are warranted for the professionals but for a daily and group gathering, "The One" works perfectly.

(in reply to budh)
Post #: 93
RE: Wine glasses - 4/5/2013 6:36:10 PM   
hellowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

We have the burgs, and they really do make a difference. Plus, they are just marvelous pieces of glass art. I do get nervous washing them. I am very slow and deliberate. I also recommend getting a drying hanger for the glasses.

I have some Reidel Bordeaux that are pretty good, but my next Zalto glasses will be the whites since they also work really well for aged vintage champagne.

I am not sure we actually have the Bordeaux shaped Riedels. They were Riedel Magnums Set of 8. I think they were from Bed Bath & Beyond. (family present)

Love the Zaltos. I have to remember that a 1/2" depth is like a decent pour in any other glass because the wide bowl on the Burg glass holds so much more volume. It's easy to pour the entire bottle in the glass. The weight is so light and elegant. It's a real pleasure to drink out of them.

I don't feel super nervous about using them. They're just glasses. We'll buy more. Can't treat them too preciously or else we won't use them. (And we only have 3 left of the 8 Riedels after 3 years of steady use.)

I'm a big fan of cost per use. The more you use them the more the cost per use goes down. For a buck or less on top of each bottle (which will eventually get down to a dime or penny), if the enjoyment goes up by a quantified value of more than a dollar (which it almost always does), you are winning. Plus we get them for a nice price with no shipping.

As far as the shape goes, the way the bowl concentrates the nose really makes it awesome. The Zalto burgs definitely enhance the experience.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 94
RE: Wine glasses - 4/6/2013 3:45:13 AM   
dbg

quote:

Agreed: A great glass adds more to the sensory experience than simply the taste and smell of the wine. I differ, however, on the day-after value of a great wine. The value of the experience and its memory may not be measurable in dollars, but in some cases is priceless.

David G

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 95
RE: Wine glasses - 4/6/2013 11:58:07 AM   
NathanT

My aesthetic value in wine glasses gears more toward the size rather than the shape of the glass. I like glasses that are 28oz or larger in size, either in Bordeaux shape or round Burgundy shape. I prefer the thin ones because they are lighter to hold.

However, those Zaltos pique my interest... but still, I can control the impulse buying on the glasses, unless they are discounted significantly

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 96
RE: Wine glasses - 4/6/2013 12:21:10 PM   
VTCellarDweller

I am considering the Schott Zwiesel Tritan Pure Collection 23.4 oz Burgundy for my everyday PN-Neb-Burg glass. Has anyone had experience with them?

Jim
https://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=90940

(in reply to NathanT)
Post #: 97
RE: Wine glasses - 4/6/2013 4:44:05 PM   
hellowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: NathanT

My aesthetic value in wine glasses gears more toward the size rather than the shape of the glass. I like glasses that are 28oz or larger in size, either in Bordeaux shape or round Burgundy shape. I prefer the thin ones because they are lighter to hold.

However, those Zaltos pique my interest... but still, I can control the impulse buying on the glasses, unless they are discounted significantly

If the Zaltos pique your interest, see if you can get them shipped from Weygandt. That's the best price we've found for them by the stem. :-)

Even with shipping, you'll probably save $50 for 6. I ran a quick analysis with online pricing in the US. The next best price I can find is 6 at $62.95 each, for $377.70 at http://www.crushwineandspirits.com/Zalto-Burgundy-G43.aspx.

(in reply to NathanT)
Post #: 98
RE: Wine glasses - 4/8/2013 11:00:30 PM   
NathanT

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellowine

If the Zaltos pique your interest, see if you can get them shipped from Weygandt. That's the best price we've found for them by the stem. :-)

Even with shipping, you'll probably save $50 for 6. I ran a quick analysis with online pricing in the US. The next best price I can find is 6 at $62.95 each, for $377.70 at http://www.crushwineandspirits.com/Zalto-Burgundy-G43.aspx.

That's still quite a lot to satisfy my curiosity. I'll just settle for the Schott Zwiesel Cru Classic for Bordeaux and the Zutglazz for Burgundy.

(in reply to hellowine)
Post #: 99
RE: Wine glasses - 4/9/2013 9:34:32 PM   
pdemaio

quote:

ORIGINAL: drycab

I vote for Ravenscroft. They're inexpensive, present really well, and do the same thing as every Riedel I've tasted them against.

I can say without a doubt that the Riedel Somm Sauternes glasses are significantly better though they look almost identical. I haven't compared others.

PDQ

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 100
RE: Wine glasses - 4/9/2013 9:45:54 PM   
pdemaio

I've always found Riedel Vinum to be my favorite. I have the burg, and the Bordeaux. I like the Bordeaux best if you only getting one set, though some of my friends prefer the burg. Don't go for the new world (Oregon) pinot, as they were really invented as a marketing gimmick IMHO and I haven't found them to be as good as the normal burgs. I also have the Somm series burg and Bordeax, but I don't like them very much. They are unwieldy and the wine tends to be overly expressed putting the fruit out of balance. The Somm series sauternes are great, and definitely are wonderful for that wine.

If you can have a friend in the restaurant or winery biz, see if they would be willing to (quietly) get you some riedel restaurant series. For all intents and purposes they will be equals to Riedel Vinums and the price will be so much lower it's ridiculous.

PDX

(in reply to pdemaio)
Post #: 101
RE: Wine glasses - 4/10/2013 8:35:59 AM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: jerwin1943

I am considering the Schott Zwiesel Tritan Pure Collection 23.4 oz Burgundy for my everyday PN-Neb-Burg glass. Has anyone had experience with them?

I have those too, but I am not a burg hound per se so not the best reference on PN but love Nebs in them.

(in reply to VTCellarDweller)
Post #: 102
RE: Wine glasses - 4/12/2013 7:33:23 PM   
jrockman

I got a steal of a deal on my first Reidels this afternoon; stopped in at the local Total Wines to pick up the cheap chard for TW that she likes from there, after perusing the fine wine section just for kicks, I grabbed her bottles and headed for checkout. As I passed the glassware section, I impulsively stopped to take a look (perhaps subconciously guided by this thread?) On the bottom shelf, they had the big boxes (pay for six, get eight) of both the Vinum Bordeaux and the O series, with hand written tags showing a markdown from $150 to $75 next to the regular tags for both. Thinking there must be a mistake of some kind, I grabed the Vinum box and headed for checkout, where it did indeed ring up at the regular price of $150. I, of course, told the clerk of the handwritten tag; he called for a manager, who verified the tag and immediately removed it - the discount was intended for only the O series. To their credit, they honored the discount, so I got a set of eight Vinum Bordeaux for only $75! Score!

< Message edited by jrockman -- 4/12/2013 7:34:45 PM >

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 103
RE: Wine glasses - 4/12/2013 9:23:12 PM   
Ibetian

Hi jr,

Congrats on your bargain, I'm sure you will enjoy the new stems.

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 104
RE: Wine glasses - 4/12/2013 10:24:05 PM   
NathanT

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrockman

I got a steal of a deal on my first Reidels this afternoon; stopped in at the local Total Wines to pick up the cheap chard for TW that she likes from there, after perusing the fine wine section just for kicks, I grabbed her bottles and headed for checkout. As I passed the glassware section, I impulsively stopped to take a look (perhaps subconciously guided by this thread?) On the bottom shelf, they had the big boxes (pay for six, get eight) of both the Vinum Bordeaux and the O series, with hand written tags showing a markdown from $150 to $75 next to the regular tags for both. Thinking there must be a mistake of some kind, I grabed the Vinum box and headed for checkout, where it did indeed ring up at the regular price of $150. I, of course, told the clerk of the handwritten tag; he called for a manager, who verified the tag and immediately removed it - the discount was intended for only the O series. To their credit, they honored the discount, so I got a set of eight Vinum Bordeaux for only $75! Score!

Yup, you steal that deal

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 105
RE: Wine glasses - 4/15/2013 9:21:09 PM   
ckinv368

We unfortunately have no such deals here at our Total Wines.

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to NathanT)
Post #: 106
RE: Wine glasses - 4/17/2013 3:24:06 PM   
oskiwawa

From my two visits I think it would be safe to remove the "such" from your comment

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckinv368

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 107
RE: Wine glasses - 4/17/2013 4:15:55 PM   
BornToRhone

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

From my two visits I think it would be safe to remove the "such" from your comment

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckinv368

Ahhh - Texas....where winery direct shipments from the left coast may actually be the better deal than paying retail...

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 108
RE: Wine glasses - 2/20/2014 6:51:20 AM   
markandsusanw

Well, finally broke down and bought some Zaltos after finding a too-good-to-pass-up price via Weygandts. Anyway, got 4 Bordeaux and 2 Universal and am happy to report that all 4 of the Bordeaux survived their first use and dishwasher trip A-OK. (Universals have been washed, but not used.)

I totally see why people love these. They are super-fine; as in the stem is so thin it seems possible to snap just by staring at it too hard. I do like the bowl shape, which is very good for swirling, and they are absolutely featherweight. Used our old everyday glasses, which I always felt were fairly delicate, and we've even had compliments on them as such, but they felt like clunky mugs after two nights using the Zaltos.

The Bordeaux seem pretty perfectly sized for us, who almost exclusively drink reds. The bowl not so big that it feels like a goldfish reservoir, but plenty large to provide aeration, etc. The Universals struck me as a tiny bit dinky for reds, though I might only think that since I'm looking at them side-by-side.

if I start having them break I'll be sad, since even at the great price, they're still 5x the price of our Lugi Bormoli Ateliers. We also have Riedel Viniums and I find them roughly comparable to the Bormoli's, and therefore ungainly thick next to the Zaltos. The Zaltos are absolutely lovely though, and I can't deny they are almost little works of art and feel oh-so-good in your hand. I do see what the fuss is all about, though I still don't think they're essential wine-drinking accoutrements.

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 109
RE: Wine glasses - 2/20/2014 6:54:56 AM   
markandsusanw

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellowine

That's where I got mine just recently ... For significantly less than quoted above. Just FYI. I've got an email address if anyone is interested (PM me), as he said I could pass it along.

They arrived very well packed, quickly and totally intact.

(in reply to hellowine)
Post #: 110
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Wine glasses Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI