CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Active Users

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Active Users Page: <<   < prev  1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Active Users - 12/9/2017 3:45:06 PM   
annerk

Long time since I've dropped in. Life gets in the way. I hope all of you are well and that I can get around these parts more often moving forward.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 36631
RE: Active Users - 12/9/2017 4:01:39 PM   
WineGuyCO

Lilac Fire in San Diego is 20% contained now and holding at 4100 acres. Winds are supposed to pick up tonight and tomorrow so hopefully they can make more progress before that. I'm close to Del Mar Coast and winds are minimal but don't know about further North in Bonsall, Vista & Oceanside/Camp Pendleton.

Rick

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 36632
RE: Active Users - 12/9/2017 6:03:10 PM   
oskiwawa

Welcome back Anne.

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

Long time since I've dropped in. Life gets in the way. I hope all of you are well and that I can get around these parts more often moving forward.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 36633
RE: Active Users - 12/9/2017 6:14:46 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

Welcome back Anne.

quote:

+1 Welcome Back!

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 36634
RE: Active Users - 12/9/2017 7:56:26 PM   
dontime

quote:

Welcome back. Still just up the road a bit whenever you'd like to share a bottle.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 36635
RE: Active Users - 12/9/2017 8:04:15 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

quote:

Welcome back. Still just up the road a bit whenever you'd like to share a bottle.

Ooooo, another possibility for the March CT off-line?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 36636
RE: Active Users - 12/9/2017 8:16:14 PM   
PinotPhile

quote:

Welcome back Anne. You have been missed. Cheers!

PP

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 36637
RE: Active Users - 12/9/2017 8:51:06 PM   
dontime

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

quote:

Ooooo, another possibility for the March CT off-line?

Absolutely!

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 36638
RE: Active Users - 12/10/2017 5:10:10 AM   
musedir

Good morning all. Well finally sub-freezing in our neck of the woods. Had to turn the heat up to 68F.

Anyway, the coffee (African) is made, some coffee cake sliced (cranberry-walnut) and I’m sitting here in a post-Secret Santa glow. I surely do love Tuscan wines and Susanne was very nice to me this year.

Anne, always good to have you back on the boards.

After a while, Dr. Many I will get cleaned up, load up the chopped liver bowls and make our way over to see long, dear friends in Columbus (not my wine, they’re sound asleep in the dark). Then back to Auburn for some doggie Xmas shopping, a start on a new bed (got to replace our Tempurpedic that is 20+ years old) and then to our fav Mexican joint El Patron for an early dinner.

What’s on your Sunday agenda?

< Message edited by musedir -- 12/10/2017 6:24:32 AM >

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 36639
RE: Active Users - 12/10/2017 5:39:00 AM   
jrockman

Nice to see you post again, Anne; welcome back! Hope all is well with you.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 36640
RE: Active Users - 12/10/2017 6:00:59 AM   
Yossarian

Welcome back Anne.

Shock news! There is actual snow in London. Of course, 1cm of snow means everything grinds to a halt.

Kids are watching it all come down while daddy sips a lovely Bordeaux Superieur and eats pheasant.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 36641
RE: Active Users - 12/10/2017 6:25:03 AM   
S1

quote:

Miss you
We rarely get to your neck of the woods these days, except with a million students in tow.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 36642
RE: Active Users - 12/10/2017 6:56:12 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

Hi Anne! Great to see/hear from you!

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 36643
RE: Active Users - 12/10/2017 7:59:33 AM   
Franklin 10

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

quote:

Hi Anne! Great to see/hear from you!

Ditto, hope things are well with you Anne!

Chilly morning good for hot coffee after cleanup of last night’s stems and on to a little Holiday gift shopping online.

Will take it easy today: walk the dogs in the snow, maybe a light workout, Pacers v. Nuggets at 5:00, then leftovers of wine braised beef shank over campanelle and 2005 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904.

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 36644
RE: Active Users - 12/10/2017 11:35:28 AM   
PinotPhile

Franklin10, don't envy you with the Dec midwest weather. Been there, done that. Now as for the wine....potential yum there.

Greetings to all from SoCal and wildfire country. The closest fire, Lilac, is now 60% contained with substantial progress. Today there is a risk of wind gusts, and one fire inland emerged and has been quickly managed. Most shelters are closed, most roads are open, and a recovery center for business hours only nearby will provide access to multiple services in one stop. Neither we nor our home are at much risk today. Just to go about normal activities and keep an eye out.

So will enjoy my half-caf coffee, semi pay attention to NFL, and begin holiday decorating. Life does go on.

Tonight, maybe some of the leftover Chenin Blanc. One of those varietals I have generally enjoyed, but rarely find. Will check LWS for inexpensive South African juice.

Cheers!

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 36645
RE: Active Users - 12/10/2017 3:18:30 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

Franklin10, don't envy you with the Dec midwest weather. Been there, done that. Now as for the wine....potential yum there.

Greetings to all from SoCal and wildfire country. The closest fire, Lilac, is now 60% contained with substantial progress. Today there is a risk of wind gusts, and one fire inland emerged and has been quickly managed. Most shelters are closed, most roads are open, and a recovery center for business hours only nearby will provide access to multiple services in one stop. Neither we nor our home are at much risk today. Just to go about normal activities and keep an eye out.

So will enjoy my half-caf coffee, semi pay attention to NFL, and begin holiday decorating. Life does go on.

Tonight, maybe some of the leftover Chenin Blanc. One of those varietals I have generally enjoyed, but rarely find. Will check LWS for inexpensive South African juice.

Cheers!

20% contained to 60% contained in 24 hours is incredible work by our 1st responders. Great job and we appreciate everything you do. Stay safe !!

Rick

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 36646
RE: Active Users - 12/10/2017 3:28:33 PM   
PinotPhile

+1 in a big salute to first responders and, in particular, the fire "attackers". They did quite a few air drops; I saw on TV that the Lilac Fire had 146 drops in a single day. OK, it's mainstream media so the number could be different, but still. Massive attack. And I believe that there were some night air drops this time, which did not always occur in the past.

Truly to be respected and appreciated.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 36647
RE: Active Users - 12/11/2017 3:40:55 AM   
musedir

Monday, Monday. Still freezing in Loachapoka but afternoon warming into upper 40s. I passed on fixings for potato-leek soup and instead got ingredients for chili, in keeping with the situation.

Chopped Liver Express was a resounding success yesterday. Great visits all around although we had to talk about the pending purchase of the Asheville house three times. Dr. M had it down pat by the third. Stopped for El Patron dinner and then back home to see most of Harvey. Not Jimmy Stuart’s best effort but it is a charming, raucous film. Then Close Encounters came on TCM. No commercials and it was fun to see it again after many years of avoiding it with seemingly hours of commercials. Spielberg did a fine job crafting the film and since Dr. M and I have hiked around the base of Devil’s Tower, it was wonderfully familiar.

So what’s on everybody’s agenda this week. For shoppers its getting close and for mailers even closer. If the stress starts building, just do what I do here in Loachapoka— turn on the electric fireplace, tell Alexa to play the Nutcracker and open up a bottle of something tasty. It does the trick.

Y’all be careful out there.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 36648
RE: Active Users - 12/11/2017 4:40:24 AM   
Eddie

It will be very cold here, so there will be at least one long fire in the fireplace, along with providing food and wine to my BiL and SiL, who are having their kitchen remodeled, and are currently unable to cook. My mother-in-law is in the hospital owing to a series of dreadfully bad reactions to her cancer medications, and Mrs. Eddie and her siblings have been struggling to arrange a face-to-face meeting with the oncologist, an odd bird who makes her hospital rounds at midnight (!) and is unreachable during the day. We are cat-sitting for mother-in-law, and beyond that, catching up on chores left undone while we were in Charleston. Looks like a busy week for us.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 36649
RE: Active Users - 12/11/2017 4:44:06 AM   
musedir

Best wishes for Mrs. Eddie’s momma.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 36650
RE: Active Users - 12/11/2017 4:50:03 AM   
annerk

Work, work, work. Coming into my busiest season over the next eight weeks. My husband is finishing out his last few weeks at the company he's been with since 1996--they were acquired and are outsourcing almost all of the I/T functions. He's got some irons in the fire, but it seems that every waking moment not spent at work is being spent helping him with the job hunt. Today will be a particularly busy one, I"m already at my desk and won't leave until after 6:00 pm. I worked about 10 hours over the weekend to at least only have boulders coming at me today rather than full on avalanches.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 36651
RE: Active Users - 12/11/2017 5:24:16 AM   
khmark7

A rare day off here. Slowly getting back into running after a month of sloth which was expected post 4 marathons within the year, plus i've been busy with work, my home winemaking project and mom. At this point i am simply waiting for winter to actually arrive (we didn't have a proper winter last year). Doesn't feel like the holidays here....time just seems to speed up every year, and wasn't Halloween just last week??

I like Yossarian's pheasant idea. A wise man.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 36652
RE: Active Users - 12/11/2017 7:42:44 AM   
dontime

Beautiful day in central FL although a bit on the cool side. Think I'll copy Tom and make a pot of chili for dinner. Or two pots in our case, as we each have our own opinion as to what constitutes a good bowl of chili.

Counting down the days until I meet my sister for the first time. It will be a Christmas to remember.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 36653
RE: Active Users - 12/11/2017 11:15:52 AM   
PinotPhile

Eddie, best of luck re: multiple family issues.

Anne, best of luck to you and your husband on job situation. That is rough, and so many of us have faced what I'll refer to as being displaced for whatever reason. Frequently, has nothing to do with competence nor work ethic.

DonTime, sounds like you will have a most interesting meetup.

Good morning to all from SoCal. Temp is 75 now with projected cooler weather for later in the week. Very cool evenings mean we, too, may soon use the fireplace. Just not right now. Fire has been on our minds quite enough, thank you.

Lilac Fire, closest to our home, is now 80% contained with no further short-term threats on the horizon. Roads open. All but one shelter in our area closed. The final shelter will close as soon as remaining folks can be accommodated per social service agencies. These last "hard cases" are, sadly, those who are better off in a shelter than their pre-fire living situation. So getting them into short-term housing is a challenge and takes time. Interesting perspective on SoCal fires:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-11/socal-wildfires-are-now-larger-new-york-city-and-boston-combined

Feeling thankful. Starting a bit of holiday decoration and gift wrapping today. Re: NFL, a bit surprised that the Packers are still in the hunt for the playoffs. Nice win in OT over the Browns yesterday w/backup QB doing quite decently. Go Pack Go!

Coffee this am, maybe wine Cheers this pm.

< Message edited by PinotPhile -- 12/11/2017 12:59:01 PM >

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 36654
RE: Active Users - 12/11/2017 6:31:40 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

I was weaned on Coors by my grandfather and was his favorite beer. This was long before micro brews and all of the great beers available now. When I played in the minor leagues in Tennessee back in 1975 he brought cases out for me and my East Coast buddies who had never had it. Back then, it was only available west of the Rockies. So it was kind of a treat for me and those who had never tried it. Some liked it some didn't. Just like now. It's was better than PBR, Schlitz, Olympia and the rest of that stuff available in the old days.

Ha! Rick, so true - it used to be a big deal to bring Coors back to the Midwest, specifically Ohio in my case. I'd gladly drink a few right now.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 36655
RE: Active Users - 12/12/2017 3:16:05 AM   
musedir

hola everyone.

It’s a brisk Tuesday morning but not as cold as it has been the past few days. Still, we are due to get slammed again today and tomorrow with a new cold front that will being sub-freezing temps back to Loachapoka.

So how are yall doing out there?Its December 12, which by my crude calculations, leaves 13 days of shopping. Some of you are OCD so clearly you are finished and already working on next year’s gifting. Some f you are slightly forgetful which means that you have just put your Halloween decorations up and are complaining about the rush to celebrate Christmas. Others, well... good luck.

In Alabama today we have a bit of civic duty to perform (that’s it Eric!) and then its a quick run to the bank and grocery before coming home and getting back into my flannels. Second day chili tonight. This was my first serious attempt to replicate Dr. M’s fabbo chili and I came up woefully short (of course she had the good grace to sy it was tasty ). I didn’t make cornbread last night but will tonight.
Then after dinner first “doctored” egg nog of the season.

Have a great day and stay safe.

< Message edited by musedir -- 12/12/2017 5:45:14 AM >

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 36656
RE: Active Users - 12/12/2017 4:59:42 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

It's a beautiful morning here in MouseTown. Working on a big cup of strong joe while tracking multiple inbound wine shipments. Looks like Christmas will be early for me.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 36657
RE: Active Users - 12/12/2017 1:38:12 PM   
PinotPhile

Good afternoon all. Enjoying hot tea and a quiet day so far. Now that the closest fire to us, Lilac, is 92% contained things are quite calm w/minimal risk for the week ahead. The recovery effort is progressing with a one-stop assistance center open and most shelters closed. The Thomas fire in Ventura is another story entirely. Grew into the Santa Barbara area and remains a big concern to the north. Only 20% contained, 780+ structures destroyed.

One of the places I volunteer was evacuated (Lilac Fire) but all is well and open now. That said, they are now behind on some holiday support efforts (for military families). So I'll pitch in a bit more as the help is needed & much appreciated.

So a bit of work on holiday decorating, wrapping and cards was a welcome relief yesterday. All shopping is done. Holidays will be simple as no traveling involved and just the two of us. Whatever I concoct as far as menu, wine pairings, etc. will be OK with Dear Husband. Maybe he can pick out an amusing movie or two for us to enjoy.

Thankful Cheers!

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 36658
RE: Active Users - 12/12/2017 2:17:23 PM   
racerchris

A customer from PA stopped in today and, while he was here, mentioned that he makes his own wine -which got us talking about something other than cars.
I think he said that he and a couple buddies process over a ton of grapes each year and their current blend is 50/50 Cabernet/Petite Sirah.
I'm looking forward to receiving a bottle or two next time he stops by. :)

Anyone else familiar with a commercially available Cab/PS blend?

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 36659
RE: Active Users - 12/12/2017 2:36:34 PM   
S1

I think Vincent Arroyo does a Cab/Syrah/Petite

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 36660
Page:   <<   < prev  1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Active Users Page: <<   < prev  1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI