CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: NWR: I just read/am reading....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 [18] 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/22/2021 2:13:07 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

" Beyond order , 12 more rules for life " Jordan B. Peterson. By FAR my #1 lecturer and author. He had a huge health problem just a few weeks ago and it seems he is getting better. One of the smartest people I have ever heard and read.

It's interesting how my infrequent visits to the forum often lead to meaningful interactions with you Eduardo. I just started his 12 Rules for Life book this weekend and am really liking it so far.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 511
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/22/2021 2:36:33 PM   
Hollowine

"All Quiet on the Western Front" - Erich Maria Remarque

Trying to cycle through some "classics" into the reading regimen.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 512
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/22/2021 3:16:12 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

The Stand - the actual book.

I have the original hardback from when it came out. Bought it again when he released the unabridged version. Very hefty!

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 513
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/22/2021 3:36:38 PM   
Slye

"The Sympathizer" by Viet Thanh Nguyen. Really excellent (I am almost but not yet done with the book). Strong character development of Vietnamese community just after the fall of Saigon -- mostly in US though also back in Vietnam and SE Asia. Both a bit of a mystery/spy book, but this description does not do the book justice. A very complex story of loyalty, friends/family, betrayal, and how these are all structured by institutional and other forces outside of the control of an individual. I am looking forward to reading the sequel, which was just published.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 514
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/22/2021 4:07:53 PM   
jayrod

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jayrod

Great read by Ambrose

J/

If you are still interested in the subject, I would highly recommend the book "Neptune" by Craig L. Symonds...for that matter, I'd highly recommend ANYTHING by Symonds, who if I recollect correctly is a professor at the US Naval Academy now. I typically listen to Audio Books and the Audible versions of both Neptune and his book "Battle of Midway" are some of the best documentary books I've ever read/listened to. So much great detail...

Thanks Hollowine, will check them out

J/

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 515
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 3/22/2021 7:27:12 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

" Beyond order , 12 more rules for life " Jordan B. Peterson. By FAR my #1 lecturer and author. He had a huge health problem just a few weeks ago and it seems he is getting better. One of the smartest people I have ever heard and read.

It's interesting how my infrequent visits to the forum often lead to meaningful interactions with you Eduardo. I just started his 12 Rules for Life book this weekend and am really liking it so far.

I am happy to read that !!!

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 516
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/21/2021 3:41:18 PM   
Hollowine

How to Change Your Mind
by Michael Pollan

I really enjoyed this book. While I have no first hand knowledge of the subject matter, as someone with a science background (and also a person who strives to better understand the nature/nurture/chemistry aspect of my existence) I found the research and potential therapeutic benefits to be compelling and very interesting.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 517
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/21/2021 3:43:34 PM   
Hollowine

Lord of the Flies
by William Golding

Kill the Pig. Cut her throat. Spill her blood.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 518
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/21/2021 8:17:13 PM   
khmark7

quote:

Lord of the Flies
by William Golding

Kill the Pig. Cut her throat. Spill her blood.

Eat bacon.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 519
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/22/2021 9:50:57 AM   
wadcorp

Loved this 60 Minutes story regarding some teenagers from Tonga, who were shipwrecked on a deserted island. Their experience totally debunks the “Lord Of The Flies” effect.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shipwreck-deserted-island-south-pacific-survivors-60-minutes-2021-04-04/

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 520
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/22/2021 3:13:22 PM   
Ximenez

I just started reading World Travel by Bourdain & his assistant.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 521
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 4/22/2021 5:10:54 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Loved this 60 Minutes story regarding some teenagers from Tonga, who were shipwrecked on a deserted island. Their experience totally debunks the “Lord Of The Flies” effect.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shipwreck-deserted-island-south-pacific-survivors-60-minutes-2021-04-04/

Fascinating.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 522
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/16/2021 8:36:02 AM   
wineismylife

Rescued from page infinity.

Just finished reading "The Midnight Library" by Matt Haig. I enjoyed it. Quick and easy read.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 523
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/16/2021 8:51:09 AM   
Ximenez

After watching the CNN series on Hemingway, I have read A Moveable Feast, For Whom The Bell Tolls and now reading The Old Man and the Sea. All which I never read in school.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 524
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/16/2021 11:35:40 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ximenez

After watching the CNN series on Hemingway, I have read A Moveable Feast, For Whom The Bell Tolls and now reading The Old Man and the Sea. All which I never read in school.

Very nice. The Old Man and the Sea was my first Hemingway book.

Joe

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 525
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 7/16/2021 1:05:06 PM   
bretrooks

I read Piranesi by Susanna Clarke over the summer break we took a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it quite a bit.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 526
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/25/2021 9:42:30 AM   
Ximenez

I ordered The Courage to Act by Ben Bernanke as I was reading about what FDR did for the economy during the depression and WWII so I'm curious about whatever Bernanke did behind the scenes or what was not reported during the 2008 fiasco.

< Message edited by Ximenez -- 8/25/2021 9:44:54 AM >

No one knows what it's like, to be a red wine man...to be a white wine man, behind green eyes...

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 527
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 8/25/2021 10:58:29 AM   
musedir

The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race by Walter Isaacson

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 528
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/27/2021 1:29:21 PM   
Ximenez

Just ordered D-Day by Stephen E. Ambrose that was recommended here. For hating and almost failing American History in high school I have enjoyed books and documentaries on WWII as I'm older and also thinking about my Dad who was in the North African and Italian campaigns during the war.

< Message edited by Ximenez -- 10/27/2021 1:33:37 PM >

No one knows what it's like, to be a red wine man...to be a white wine man, behind green eyes...

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 529
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/27/2021 2:46:58 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ximenez

Just ordered D-Day by Stephen E. Ambrose that was recommended here. For hating and almost failing American History in high school I have enjoyed books and documentaries on WWII as I'm older and also thinking about my Dad who was in the North African and Italian campaigns during the war.

Ambrose is good, but I think Neptune (D-day invasion) and The Battle of Midway by Craig L Symonds are far and away some of the best writing and historical account I've ever read. I did the AudioBooks from Audible and they were superb. Symonds has teaching credentials at US Naval Academy (Chairman of History Department) and the US Naval War College.

Encourage anyone who likes WWII history to read both of these, I had no idea some of the details of the war in the Pacific until I read the above Midway book.

Edit: sorry above is redundant, didn't realize my post about Symonds was at the top of this page...

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 10/27/2021 2:48:06 PM >

(in reply to Ximenez)
Post #: 530
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/27/2021 5:14:22 PM   
chrisrsprague

A Man on the Moon, The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts, by Andrew Chaikin. I read the incredible Folio Society edition, with lots of amazing photographs.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 531
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/14/2022 1:23:30 PM   
Ximenez

Completely enjoyed Stephen Ambrose's book and now I'm reading Foot Trodden: Portugal and the Wines That Time Forgot by Simon Woolf & Ryan Opaz. Xmas gift from wifey.

(in reply to chrisrsprague)
Post #: 532
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/15/2022 8:50:49 AM   
Sean McGrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Yes. It fits our narrative of progress that primitive society should be savage. If you look at us as a species compared to other mammals, it is our cooperation and ability to form large communities that really stand out.

I read an interesting theory recently about why our brains are smaller than those of Neanderthals. Obviously brains consume an enormous amount of our energy budget, so they are costly. The idea is that by cooperation and specialization among a group, we were able to accomplish more with smaller brains. Distributed processing, so to speak. :-)

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 533
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/15/2022 8:58:42 AM   
Sean McGrath

On topic, our vegetarian son got me What a Fish Knows by Jonathan Balcombe. Fascinating.

It started out a bit preachy for me, but then settled down. It has not changed my diet, but has convinced me that humane treatment should apply equally well to fish as to cows or chickens.

The book clearly has an agenda, but wears it lightly. In any case, it is well-written, well-researched and for me at least was tremendously interesting.

(in reply to Sean McGrath)
Post #: 534
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/31/2022 1:58:40 PM   
wineismylife

"The Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion

Joe

Post #: 535
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/31/2022 5:01:43 PM   
Ximenez

Finished reading the book on Portuguese wine and starting reading Life with Picasso by Francoise Gilot

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 536
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/31/2022 5:08:03 PM   
KPB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sean McGrath

I read an interesting theory recently about why our brains are smaller than those of Neanderthals. Obviously brains consume an enormous amount of our energy budget, so they are costly. The idea is that by cooperation and specialization among a group, we were able to accomplish more with smaller brains. Distributed processing, so to speak. :-)

My research is in distributed systems, so I like this, but honestly I doubt it. Newton and Einstein didn’t really make a lot of use of others. My guess is that our brains simply have a hardware upgrade and need less circuitry yet can do much more. Neanderthals were probably trapped on the old write-once, use-many-times style of DNA encoded software that couldn’t be field-upgraded (new code emerged only over many generations, very slowly) and was good at a few things, yet also very inflexible.

< Message edited by KPB -- 1/31/2022 5:09:35 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

Post #: 537
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 1/31/2022 10:59:13 PM   
Sean McGrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sean McGrath

My research is in distributed systems, so I like this, but honestly I doubt it. Newton and Einstein didn’t really make a lot of use of others.

Perhaps you are a bit too bought into the self-made person narrative. There was a podcast about how nobody in existence today knows how to make a standard pencil from scratch: operate all the equipment to mine the carbon, fell the trees, mill the wood, assemble the pencil, run the stencil machine. Not to mention building the equipment to do all of those tasks.

Newton and Einstein used roads, ate meat that they didn't butcher and hopefully drank wine. Not to mention they were actually educated, using books, and learning concepts from people who went before them. One way to think about your statement is to ask whether a stone-age Newton could have invented calculus. By your viewpoint, it should have been no issue.

The most striking feature of humans compared to any other vertebrates is our extraordinary level of cooperation.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 538
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/9/2022 10:30:58 AM   
PortLover

"Port and the Douro" by Richard Mayson.

Post #: 539
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 2/9/2022 1:37:17 PM   
gruqqt@gmail.com

Has anyone mentioned the classic
"I Drink Therefore I am" by Roger Scruton, philosopher, author, experienced wine drinker? Many of his quotes are worth the price of the book such as his description of aroma of Burgundy. For those who enjoy words written by an artist as well as observations by a lover of wine, order now.

Please note: Scruton is a conservative philosopher and author who writes of his life experiences decades and different dimensions ago. Life history is likely to offend the woke crowd.

< Message edited by gruqqt@gmail.com -- 2/9/2022 2:07:36 PM >

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 17 [18] 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 [18] 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI