CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: NWR: I just read/am reading....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/4/2015 6:02:03 PM   
lockestep

The trilogy is worth the time. Just do it.
I have Seveneves on my shelf but have not read it. I think it will come out over my Thanksgiving break when I can devote some serious time to it.
Currently reading Justina Robson's Keeping It Real, just started so no impressions yet.
Recently finished and liked The Hydrogen Sonata, the final work of Iain M. Banks. If you have not read any of the Culture series, correct the situation. You can read them in any order, as they all take place in the same universe, but not in time order.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 61
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/11/2015 7:48:42 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

Currently reading Justina Robson's Keeping It Real, just started so no impressions yet.
Recently finished and liked The Hydrogen Sonata, the final work of Iain M. Banks. If you have not read any of the Culture series, correct the situation. You can read them in any order, as they all take place in the same universe, but not in time order.

I've added these to my 'to read' list… bumping it up to 92 books
What to you think about Keeping It Real?

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 62
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/13/2015 10:06:01 AM   
wineismylife

Just finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 63
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/13/2015 3:15:01 PM   
mtpisgah

I just finished The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy. Overall the book was ok but I was not impressed with the ending.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 64
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/13/2015 9:24:49 PM   
skifree

Finished "Venice: A New History" by Thomas F. Madden today.

He was quite complementary of Venice's role as a capitalistic republic during medieval times, and its ability to adapt and survive. I also learned that Venice had to rely on tourism in the 17th and 18th centuries after the role of Adriatic trade diminished.

The book was slower going than most histories I like; I think a lot of historical detail that brings people to life is gone forever.

Next up is David Lagercrantz's take on Lisbeth Salander (The Girl in the Spiders Web). I liked Larsson's books enough to give this a try.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 65
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/14/2015 4:49:21 AM   
musedir

Currently reading Girl in the Spider Web. Been a while since I read Larssen's novels but it's not bad at all.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 66
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/14/2015 8:46:42 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Currently reading Girl in the Spider Web. Been a while since I read Larssen's novels but it's not bad at all.

Ditto. Roughly 10% through it yesterday. Enjoying it so far.

Joe

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 67
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/14/2015 11:52:06 AM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

He was quite complementary of Venice's role as a capitalistic republic during medieval times, and its ability to adapt and survive. I also learned that Venice had to rely on tourism in the 17th and 18th centuries after the role of Adriatic trade diminished.

The book was slower going than most histories I like; I think a lot of historical detail that brings people to life is gone forever.

Next up is David Lagercrantz's take on Lisbeth Salander (The Girl in the Spiders Web). I liked Larsson's books enough to give this a try.

If you like well written history that brings historical moments and characters to life, I cannot recommend highly enough Robert Caro's multi volume biography of Lyndon Johnson. Lots of interesting details, and extremely well researched and written. It captures the incredible complexity of Johnson (a conservative southerner whose maiden speech in the Senate opposed an anti-lynching law but then later pushed through major civil rights legislation).

I am curious about the Lagercrantz book -- I enjoyed Larsson's trilogy -- if this is similar I will put it on my list!

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 68
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/14/2015 12:43:32 PM   
recotte

For those who enjoyed Larsson's trilogy, I recommend the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbø. This is a tightly written series of crime thrillers based around Hole, a lead character who has some deep character flaws, but has a knack for tracking down serial murderers.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 69
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/14/2015 12:45:51 PM   
musedir

I think he's studied Larsson's writing style in a way to be respectful to his style and he's equally intrigued by the main characters. Salander and Blomkvist remain front and center.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 70
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/14/2015 2:39:57 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

For those who enjoyed Larsson's trilogy, I recommend the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbø. This is a tightly written series of crime thrillers based around Hole, a lead character who has some deep character flaws, but has a knack for tracking down serial murderers.

+1 they are quite good.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 71
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/14/2015 3:01:44 PM   
drycab

Anyone read/reading/heard of this magazine called "Le Pan, The Art of Fine Wine Living"?
My Wife saw it at Barnes & Noble and brought it home. Big, Glossy and deals with things like watches, Jewelry, and other wine related stuff like "Pinot to Rival Burgundy"!?!?

I haven't opened it yet. Just thought I'd run it up the flagpole and see if anyone knows anything about it.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 72
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/14/2015 4:45:25 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: drycab

Anyone read/reading/heard of this magazine called "Le Pan, The Art of Fine Wine Living"?
My Wife saw it at Barnes & Noble and brought it home. Big, Glossy and deals with things like watches, Jewelry, and other wine related stuff like "Pinot to Rival Burgundy"!?!?

I haven't opened it yet. Just thought I'd run it up the flagpole and see if anyone knows anything about it.

Here is some chatter on it at Winebeserkers: http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117965&p=1828597&hilit=le+pan#p1828597

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 73
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/15/2015 9:05:20 PM   
atlantean

I am working on a bio of Louis Armstrong. 'An extravagant life'. Couple of dimensions - today's view of race in America and a connection to my grandparents that lived most of the the 20th century in New Orleans, my parents who grew up there, myself with a stint in early 70s. And of course the cradle of Dixieland jazz.

NOLA was a rough place 100 years ago.

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 74
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/15/2015 10:05:08 PM   
Slye

Reading HG Wells' 1909 feminist novel, Ann Veronica. (Hey, it is free on Kindle.....) About a third of the way through -- it is entertaining in parts -- that same subtle 19th/20th century English manners humor that Jane Austen did far better -- though Wells is really taking a similar subject to Austen and exploding it. Some of the writing is quite good and humorous. The more political parts -- conveyed through the dialogue of more liberated women of the time -- are a bit trite and one dimensional. Apparently this novel was quite scandalous at the time, given its views on women having independent lives, the vote, etc. But some of the characters are a bit pedantic and one dimensional. This probably worked well at the time to convey a particular political position, but does not weather the passage of time very well. Still, for the price, entertaining enough that I am still reading it!

(in reply to atlantean)
Post #: 75
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/21/2015 7:22:39 AM   
wineismylife

Just finished Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

Joe

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 76
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/21/2015 7:31:06 AM   
musedir

Just started All My Yesterdays by Emanual Goldenburg who was better known as Edward G. Robinson.

Post #: 77
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/21/2015 9:40:58 AM   
cookiefiend

Just finished The Theta Timeline - Time travel to change the past and avoid a Tyranny in the US - fairly enjoyable and certainly gives you something to think about.

Just started The Hauntings of Playing God - set in the future and the end of human life on the planet - the story of one elderly woman charged with the care of the remaining lives (such as they are) and how she deals with it. Also thought provoking and terribly sad.

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 78
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/26/2015 10:00:03 AM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins

On your recommendation, got this at the library. Very good read. Thanks. Hope interested CTers will keep this going. Cheers!

Post #: 79
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/26/2015 10:07:03 AM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

I've spent a lot of time with the World Atlas of Wine lately. Fascinating reading, but I really wish the font was even a point larger.

Not surprised you are reading this one, Anne.

Interesting that DH came home this week with a copy of the 6th edition for me. He goes to a secondhand bookstore periodically, and purchased it for $5. 6th edition was 2007, latest and 7th editon 2013. Mine is one edition too old, but has great maps and detail that still is helpful to me. Since he gave it to me I've been reading a few bits and pieces each night. I am such a geek....but could have worse ways to pass my spare time.

Cheers!

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 80
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 9/26/2015 2:34:11 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

If you like well written history that brings historical moments and characters to life, I cannot recommend highly enough Robert Caro's multi volume biography of Lyndon Johnson. Lots of interesting details, and extremely well researched and written. It captures the incredible complexity of Johnson (a conservative southerner whose maiden speech in the Senate opposed an anti-lynching law but then later pushed through major civil rights legislation).

I am curious about the Lagercrantz book -- I enjoyed Larsson's trilogy -- if this is similar I will put it on my list!

I agree with Musedir that Lagercrantz stayed true to Stieg Larsson's style, and like Larsson does a great job of portraying true villainy. It made for a quick read.

Ron, thanks for the tip on Robert Caro - had not heard about that one and will add to my American list! However, next up for me is an actual book (not an e-book!) - "From Dawn to Decadence" by Jacques Barzun that I bought when it first came out in 2000 but stopped at page 69. Wish me luck on my second try, the type face is small, but I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge of European history prior to 1900.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 81
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/8/2015 1:28:14 PM   
wineismylife

I also just finished The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz. I enjoyed it but would put it behind all of Stieg's novels myself.

Joe

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 82
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/8/2015 1:45:27 PM   
GalvezGuy

Exam Reference 70-533 - Implementing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions. Unfortunately it seems that technical stuff is all I have the time for nowadays.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

Post #: 83
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/8/2015 2:37:39 PM   
Slye

I am reading Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton -- inspired to read it after listening to the music of the new Broadway hit, Hamilton.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 84
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/8/2015 3:49:22 PM   
tzusanna

quote:

I am reading Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton -- inspired to read it after listening to the music of the new Broadway hit, Hamilton.

I read his biography of George Washington a couple of years ago. It was a great read!

-Christine

My blog! http://tzusannadrinkswine.blogspot.com

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 85
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/8/2015 5:48:46 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: tzusanna

quote:

I read his biography of George Washington a couple of years ago. It was a great read!

Thanks for that recommendation. I have wanted to read a good bio of Washington, who I always find as one of the more opaque "founders."

(in reply to tzusanna)
Post #: 86
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/8/2015 8:21:12 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: EW_1

Currently reading some sci-fi: Seveneves by local Seattle author Neal Stephenson. What would happen if the moon broke apart into pieces? What on (or off) earth would we do?

I've been debating on this one, I read Quicksilver and got a bit bogged down in it… I'm concerned this might be the same for me and I love Sci-fi.

So I am a big fan of Neal Stephenson, but the trilogy killed me and I gave up some point into book 2. Seveneves I quite liked.

-Mark

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 87
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/8/2015 10:43:28 PM   
PinotPhile

Finished David McCullough bio on the Wright Brothers this week. A shorter read than I expected, less than 300 pages. Very nicely done.

Those two truly had a quest and worked endlessly. I respect them even more having read the biography.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 88
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/9/2015 9:23:21 AM   
BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

Finished David McCullough bio on the Wright Brothers this week. A shorter read than I expected, less than 300 pages. Very nicely done.

Those two truly had a quest and worked endlessly. I respect them even more having read the biography.

Yeah, that was a good book. Read it about the time it first came out. Those boys (and their sister) were sure dogged.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 89
RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... - 10/9/2015 9:23:14 PM   
champagneinhand

Just got my 2016 edition of the old farmers almanac. I need to read it with reading glasses on. It makes me feel very old. I still haven't passed page one. I need to slow down and read some more.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: NWR: I just read/am reading.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI