CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: How many glasses for you have?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How many glasses for you have? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 5:40:57 AM   
pjaines

This is quite interesting.....

http://www.riedel-store.co.uk/science.html

....as are the prices of some of their glasses. 

It is actually quite interesting to click through some of their wine glasses to read about the design and why they are built that way,

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 31
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 8:59:14 AM   
ytsai

Does the wine taste better with the more expensive Sommelier series compare to the much less expensive Vinum series? I know the Sommelier series is hand made. Doesn't that create inconsistency between glasses?

p.s. I am a tech person so I tend to believe that machines can reproduce more consistently than human.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 32
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 10:12:25 AM   
gbm

I'm just a big old cynic.  As I see it, Riedel is a business.  They must grow the business.  Developing a huge number of glasses - and levels of quality - provides a fantastic business model, but little else.

I'm not saying that some designs can't improve the taste of a wine - or at least allow you to taste it in its full glory, but a lot of it is probably fluff.  I've been waiting for Riedel to come out with a line of beer glasses.

< Message edited by gbm -- 1/20/2009 10:13:01 AM >

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 33
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 10:18:53 AM   
NiklasW

You know in Belgium, each of the thousands of beers have their own glass, and some of them are pretty wild!

So gbm, seems we are the last unRiedeled guys on the forum. Do we join the gang, or stick to our individuality??

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 34
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 11:24:16 AM   
pault

I didnt have any decent red wine glasses, is why I bought the reidel magnums.. I see in the UK there not that bad.

I am very happy with the size, and how they fit on my shelf and shudder Dishwasher( sometime I wash by hand) .

If any do break, I wouldnt hesitate getting another 4..

member #55326 , cellar ID=grngnt

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 35
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 11:30:34 AM   
pault

Riedel Ouverture Beer

Quote GBM'''

I'm just a big old cynic.  As I see it, Riedel is a business.  They must grow the business.  Developing a huge number of glasses - and levels of quality - provides a fantastic business model, but little else.

I'm not saying that some designs can't improve the taste of a wine - or at least allow you to taste it in its full glory, but a lot of it is probably fluff.  I've been waiting for Riedel to come out with a line of beer glasses.

< Message edited by gbm -- 1/20/2009 1:13:01 PM >

There ya go...

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 36
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 12:05:56 PM   
gbm

Figures I missed the one on the Riedel site.  I have a small collection of beer glasses from my college days - Chimay, pilsener, yard, and half-yard among others.  But they didn't cost anything.  They are on "indefinite loan" from a local bar.  Did you know, by the way, that a regulation frisbee can hold 4.5 beers?  (Don't you Brits go trying it at the pub, though.  That's American beers - 12 oz.)

Hey Craig - ever been to the Wickenden Pub?

OK Niklas - I will have a look at the Riedel site tonight and pick something.  Otherwise we may be ostracized.      Gotta do our part for the economy, right?

< Message edited by gbm -- 1/20/2009 12:06:31 PM >

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 37
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 6:07:16 PM   
jamscreator

My wife hasn't figured out yet that I am slowly replacing all of our stemware with Riedel.  Currently have Cabernet/Bordeaux glasses, Chardonnay glasses and Port glasses in Riedel - I think 24 in all.  We also have another 20 or so "normal/cheap/average" (aka received as a wedding gift) wine glasses.  These probably will stay around and be used to serve the table whites and reds to those guests who "like wine" but don't know what they like or what any particular varietal is.  They're also great to use out by the deck in case one gets broken or ends up at the bottom of the hot tub.

Jeff Lawson
Twitter: jamscreator

"Drink what you like, and like what you drink."
-Robert Mondavi

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 38
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 6:20:14 PM   
ikkaariainen

Niklas, take the plunge and get Riedeled, you won't regret it.

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 39
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 9:09:49 PM   
cgrimes

quote:

ORIGINAL: pault

Riedel Ouverture Beer

Quote GBM'''

< Message edited by gbm -- 1/20/2009 1:13:01 PM >

There ya go...

Try going to one of those Riedel wine seminars where you taste the same wines in different glasses.  The difference is striking--much more than I would ever imagine.

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 40
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 9:14:09 PM   
cgrimes

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm

Hey Craig - ever been to the Wickenden Pub?

As I write I am in the kitchen looking at 2 pint glasses from the Wickenden Pub circa 1990 which are also on "indefinite loan."  I used to have a strange propensity to "collect" pint glasses in my pocket after a few...  I blame it entirely on the sport of rugby...

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 41
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/21/2009 5:20:24 AM   
Wrighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: ytsai

Does the wine taste better with the more expensive Sommelier series compare to the much less expensive Vinum series? I know the Sommelier series is hand made. Doesn't that create inconsistency between glasses?

p.s. I am a tech person so I tend to believe that machines can reproduce more consistently than human.

A while ago we tested the Pinot Sommelier next to the Vinum and there was a big difference. Haven't noticed it with the others I have although haven't done a side by side tested. Used Sommelier at New Year and all the wines seemed to sing but that could have been the wines.

Wrighty

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 42
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/21/2009 8:32:47 AM   
victor_r_2005

!!!!LOL!!!!! i had no idea there was that many different types of glasses i have two wine glasses and 4 champagne glasses...i could actually get away with just having one of each being that im the only one that drinks out of them! one day when i get my degree im gonna buy everything !!!!lol im so new to all this its not even funny!

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 43
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/21/2009 8:38:11 AM   
NiklasW

Don't worry victor, it grows on you...like the plague! Hope your degree helps you get a job with nice pay, coz it's a damned expensive hobby as my bank account is discovering!

(in reply to victor_r_2005)
Post #: 44
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/21/2009 8:38:47 AM   
pjaines

Victor, trust me you can drink wine all your life and there is stuff out there that you would still not know.  I think all of us feel like that.

I didnt know about some of those glasses Riedel had put out.  Especially the Sommelier ones.

Then of course you also have black glasses where you can't see the wine at all.  Wrighty and myself got some of those for Christmas.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to victor_r_2005)
Post #: 45
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/21/2009 11:28:49 PM   
grafstrb

jeebus!!!  I just counted 52 in our cabinets ... I didn't think we had nearly that many ... and that's not counting 2 single malt Riedels, 2 snifters, some martini glasses, lots of margarita glasses, some special beer glasses, and at least 15 pint glasses ... no wonder we "don't have any cabinet space!"  ... this makes us look like we have a problem, doesn't it?

... and to think I still want to get some Sauternes glasses ... [sigh] ...

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 1/21/2009 11:33:07 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 46
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 2/7/2009 8:05:03 AM   
NiklasW

OK, so now I am Riedeled, just got two glasses of Vinum Bordeaux. And yes, it is nice to have that thin glass, and yes, the second half of yesterday's Vila Santa is smelling very nice from it. Don't know if the smell is worth 27 euros (per glass), but I will test it out over the next few weeks before I pass judgement!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 47
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 2/7/2009 9:12:19 AM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

OK, so now I am Riedeled, just got two glasses of Vinum Bordeaux. And yes, it is nice to have that thin glass, and yes, the second half of yesterday's Vila Santa is smelling very nice from it. Don't know if the smell is worth 27 euros (per glass), but I will test it out over the next few weeks before I pass judgement!

Think of the glasses like lingerie ... the gift that keeps on giving (my tribute to the late, departed Serge  )

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 48
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 2/7/2009 11:07:42 AM   
NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

Think of the glasses like lingerie ... the gift that keeps on giving (my tribute to the late, departed Serge  )

I like that! I'll keep it in mind...

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 49
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 2/7/2009 9:50:41 PM   
gbm

quote:

Oh boy - now look what you've done.  I have spent the last 20 minutes shopping the Riedel site.  I was up to 26 glasses of different varieties when I looked at the total.  I scaled back to something less...

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 50
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 2/8/2009 11:04:36 PM   
geppetto

I just bought 12 Vinum Bordeaux glasses from Costco (Canada) for less than $20 per glass.  Seemed like a pretty good deal to me...

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 51
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 4/5/2009 7:44:07 AM   
annerk

I have a confession to make.  I just found out that the glasses that were "takeaways" from an event we attended that I've been drinking out of are Riedel.  My husband noticed the logo on the base of the glass the other night.

Ironically I was originally using them as I liked the shape, then was using them because the wine did somehow taste better from them.  I've run them through the dishwasher countless times.  :::Smacking self on head:::

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 52
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 4/5/2009 8:13:23 AM   
SLIMES

Probably about 20. A lot of these are cheap flutes. I only have a couple of Riedel glasses but I'm so clumsy that I probably won't buy many more considering how many I've smashed. Still, it is possible to find wine glasses that have thin  glass and are unadorned for low prices. M+S do cheap flutes that are very simple with thin glass. £1 each or 6 for £5! I've actually found that I prefer champagne from these than from the Riedel Cuvee Prestige glasses (£26 for a pair). Still I adore the Riedel Syrah Glass which is just beautiful. I also have some LSA trumpet flutes that do nothing for the nose of a champagne but because of the shallow angle when you sip, help to accentuate the refreshing charecteristics of cheaper 'every day' champagne.

I'm very fussy about my wine glasses and always hate it when I'm at someone elses house and get offered wine in some ghastly cut-glass, multi-coloured goblet.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 53
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 4/5/2009 11:05:03 AM   
Bryan Collins

The only Riedel Sommeliers I have now are the Vintage Champagne glasses - still peerless for Champagne imo.

Most of the rest of mine are Schott Zweisel Enotecas - hand-blown, like Sommeliers, and just as elegant, but a third of the price and much less fragile (titanium crystal, blah blah, sounds like a gimmick but they are MUCH less fragile than Somms).

Then I have my eight Zalto Denk'Arte Burgundy glasses, whichI also use for Nebbiolo.  OMG they are gorgeous.

All in all, 60-odd.

(in reply to SLIMES)
Post #: 54
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 4/5/2009 8:58:14 PM   
Phantomind

I too am using the Schott Zweisel glasses.  I love them.  I think they are as good as the Reidel at half (or more) the price.  I have 16 of them now.  I had two break as I was trying to pull them out of the box, though.  I had to grab the glass at the top and it shattered.  I don't think that I have that crushing of a grip, but I am real carful with them now.  Storage for more is a problem.  We've seen pictures of peoples wine cellars, does any have a 'glass rack' worth posting a picture of?

Raul

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 55
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 4/15/2009 8:44:16 AM   
pault

As luck would have it, shopping around for a rack or wardrobe for my daughters room , in  a second hand store, I come across
Spiegelau Wine Glass for .50 . Looks like a burgundy, its huge, holds like 25 oz.. will try it out tonight. Just have the riedels from xmas.

(in reply to Phantomind)
Post #: 56
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 4/16/2009 6:09:02 AM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrighty

I know we've touched on types of stemware but following on from the 'How many decanters' thread thought I'd ask how many glasses do you have.

I'm up to about 60 now, all Riedel. A mix of Sommelier (Bordeaux, Vintage Champagne and black tumblers), Vinum and O's. I use the vinums and O's on a regular basis and save the Sommeliers for good bottles and good guests.

Wrighty

Stopped counting at 60ish myself! Nearly all Vinum but I like John Jenkins too. Won't buy Sommelier as I break too many stems

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 57
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 5/21/2009 12:36:29 PM   
slave2thevine

I've got a range of glasses from a range of companies.  I'm close to 50 total stems though.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 58
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 5/22/2009 11:08:08 AM   
drycab

I just broke down and bought the following:
12 Bordeaux Grand Cru
12 Burgandy Grand Cru
12 Champagne Flutes
12 Port
All of the above are Ravenscroft Sommelier Collection.  I went this route because I just can't bring myself to buy leaded anything and to my knowlege, all Riedels of any quality are leaded crystal.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to slave2thevine)
Post #: 59
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 5/22/2009 1:19:08 PM   
treetops

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

I like that! I'll keep it in mind...

As in 'coupe de champagne'  

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How many glasses for you have? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI