CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: How many glasses for you have?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How many glasses for you have? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 5/22/2009 1:21:42 PM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: pault

As luck would have it, shopping around for a rack or wardrobe for my daughters room , in  a second hand store, I come across
Spiegelau Wine Glass for .50 . Looks like a burgundy, its huge, holds like 25 oz.. will try it out tonight. Just have the riedels from xmas.

Spiegelau are very popular in London right now.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 61
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 5/24/2009 12:53:47 AM   
tourette

i probably win the prize for least glasses. i have 1 riedel bordeaux glass (left from a set of four from my wedding. the rest have broken). i also have a hodgepodge of free glasses from tasting rooms, probably about 6, for when we have friends over. oh, and 2 champagne glasses, also cheapies.

one of these days, i need to get a proper set, but as i'm the only one in the house (and the only of my friends) that cares anything about wine, as long as i have my decanter and my one last riedel, i'm all set. :)

jeff

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 62
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/11/2010 5:25:18 PM   
YoDaddyO

Speigelau Vino Grande vs. Reidel Vinum XL?

Someone care to give the difinitive word other than price?

I understand that Reidel owns Speigelau...

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 63
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/11/2010 6:58:48 PM   
oskiwawa

Don't know the exact number but it is over 100 for sure.  Had a dinner for 20 in October and the handwash count was 106 glasses the next morning.  Took a good part of the morning.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 64
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/12/2010 5:14:18 AM   
TexasWineGeek

Got lucky last week.  Local wine shop offered me 34 Reidel Overture glasses that a restaurant didn't purchase.  Paid 3.33 / glass.  Great all around glass for reds.

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 65
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/12/2010 6:52:02 AM   
jamjo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Birch

I've got about 60-70 now as well.  About 1/3 of them are Riedel Vinum Bordeaux and Sauv Blanc and a couple champagne glasses.  The remaining are pretty cheap, 'everyday' type of glasses that I use for cheap wine or when we don't have guests. Then I've got two Eisch Bordeaux breathable glasses that I use when I don't have time to decant: http://www.eisch.de/eng/website/news/breathable_glass/index.php  They work surpisingly well; I've done several side-by-sides with them now.

What are Eisch Bordeaux breathable glasses ? I went to the link but couldn't find what defines them as breathable.

(in reply to Birch)
Post #: 66
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/12/2010 7:47:45 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamjo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Birch

I've got about 60-70 now as well.  About 1/3 of them are Riedel Vinum Bordeaux and Sauv Blanc and a couple champagne glasses.  The remaining are pretty cheap, 'everyday' type of glasses that I use for cheap wine or when we don't have guests. Then I've got two Eisch Bordeaux breathable glasses that I use when I don't have time to decant: http://www.eisch.de/eng/website/news/breathable_glass/index.php  They work surpisingly well; I've done several side-by-sides with them now.

What are Eisch Bordeaux breathable glasses ? I went to the link but couldn't find what defines them as breathable.

They are based on something called the 'Sensis Treatment', whatever that is.  I didn't have time to investigate further but research Sensis treatment and maybe something will turn up.

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

(in reply to jamjo)
Post #: 67
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/12/2010 9:16:27 AM   
masi3v

No glasses.  Just some really long straws.

“Je ne peux vivre sans Champagne, en cas de victoire, je le mérite ; en cas de défaite, j’en ai besoin.” -- Napoléon Bonaparte

Blog Link:The Drunken Cyclist

(in reply to TexasWineGeek)
Post #: 68
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/12/2010 8:44:51 PM   
Rossodio

Interesting topic... I have about 40 wine glasses...

Riedel Wine Series:
4 x Viognier/Chardonnay
4 x Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
These are used when I have a decent number of guests over, but not necessarily when I'm doing a tasting.

Riedel Vinum Series:
2 x Champagne (Actually, it's the "Cuvee Prestige" glass)
These are for special occasions - though I plan on supplanting them with 2 Riedel Vitis Champagne glasses at some point in the future.

Riedel Vitis Series:
1 x Tasting Kit (4 glasses - Pinot Noir/Red Burg, Chardonnay/White Burg, Bordeaux, and Sauv Blanc)
2 x Syrah
I use these when tasting or drinking for/by myself, or when I'm actually hosting tastings, these are the glasses I use. I plan on getting another tasting kit so that when I have a special lady over for dinner or for special occasions, we can both use the same nice glasses. For now, when it's just me and one other person, I use the Syrah and Bdx glasses somewhat interchageably, and when it's Burgundy I use the Chard and Pinot glasses somewhat interchangeably, though this obviously isn't ideal. LOVE these glasses in general, minus the difficulty in cleaning the bowls.

Random generic glasses, including ones from wineries and tasting events I've been to:
10 x Champagne
~15 x Generic bowl shape
I use these when I'm hosting tastings. I generally make the tasting BYOG (Bring your own glass), but many people forget and these work just fine.

I plan on getting a select few Sommeliers glasses eventually, including the Burgundy, Mature Bordeaux, Rose, Sauternes, Vintage Port, and Cognac XO glasses, but none of these are super high priority at this point.

If anyone has mentioned decanters... I have one decanter, the Riedel Cornetto decanter. Beautiful shape, and the diameter is such that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of counter space up. FWIW, I put all of the non-Riedel glasses in the dishwasher, and wash all of the Riedels by hand.

< Message edited by Rossodio -- 1/12/2010 9:08:59 PM >

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 69
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/13/2010 12:56:08 AM   
stephori

12 x Spiegelau Expert for wines
12 x Italese Champagne flutes (6 Club from Veuve Clicquot and 6 Tasting from Pommery)
6 x Spiegelau Snifter Premium for spirits

Stéphane

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 70
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How many glasses for you have? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI