CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/22/2016 6:57:30 PM   
Hollowine

I'd like to invite you to join me in raising a glass (or several glasses) to Brad (drycab) on Friday December 16th. His passing still leaves a void in the lives of those who knew him personally, or simply through his large presence on CT. His wife Lesley has read your many kind words posted to the prior thread, and while our hearts are still heavy, his friends and family are all grateful to the warm and generous community we have on this forum.

Brad believed no bottle is sacred, wine is meant to be shared, and a trip into his cellar was a proverbial trip to the "Candy Store." That said, he's also be the first to say "It ain't ready, put it back" and would then just go in and pull something even more amazing. I've a lot of bottles bought for those "special occasions" and if life has taught me anything these past 3 weeks it is there are no guarantees...carpe diem!

Many of you are participating in the CT Secret Santa which this year is paying some homage to Brad with probably many Cabernet's riding in the sleigh. With reveal on December 11th perhaps this is a good night to open that gift bottle. Hopefully many others in our community might join in to open a nice bottle in Brad's honor as well. I plan to attend an annual Festivus celebration in Portland that night, and then gather with a few CT friends from this forum, open several bottles, and tell many loud and unbelievable stories as a toast to Brad and the times we shared.

I hope you will join us in raiding your cellar for something worthy of the occasion by posting some great wines and memories here.

Post #: 1
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/22/2016 7:13:27 PM   
musedir

It's on my calendar and we have wonderful friends visiting from Mobile to attend Auburn's Prez's Xmas Party. I'll open the wines before we go and then they'll be ready when we get home later. Great idea!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 2
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/22/2016 7:48:25 PM   
Franklin 10

In

Details to follow

In, no brainer

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 3
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/22/2016 8:10:52 PM   
CranBurgundy

Totally in on this one, and if Shafer was one of drycab's usual suspects I have a lone bottle of 2001 Napa (now One Point Five) that I've been looking for a reason to drink. If my SS bottle is worthy though, I'll pop that instead.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

carpe diem!

Scott, wouldn't "carpe vino!" be more appropriate? Seize the wine!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 4
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/22/2016 8:25:47 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

carpe diem!

Scott, wouldn't "carpe vino!" be more appropriate? Seize the wine!

I never claimed my French was very good!

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 5
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/22/2016 9:06:33 PM   
fingers

I don't know what it will be yet, but definitely something special to salute our friend.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 6
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 12:00:54 AM   
PinotPhile

I did not know Brad, but in his honor, we will open something nice and do a toast to him. Unfortunately, I have no memories of Brad to share. I understand, from several threads, that he was a gracious, generous person who would want us to just enjoy something that appeals.

Can't guarantee it will be a Cab, but it will be special. So hopefully that qualifies as "in".

Cheers!

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 7
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 4:00:16 AM   
rlp805

In.
I don't have many cabs that this board would consider special but I'll do what I can.

-Richard

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 8
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 4:29:16 AM   
S1

Brad and I had planned to open this bottle this winter.
We will cook on the Weber grill.
I will invite good friends to come over, will prepare too much food, will curse a bit and will try to laugh. There will be no cinnamon, no liver (including foie gras) and no wine made by TRB.
HRH will walk into the sliding glass door.
Kyser will beg for food and (mostly) wine. He will go check the front door every time I mention Uncle Brad.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to rlp805)
Post #: 9
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 4:40:41 AM   
mgriffith

It is rare indeed when I wish that anyone could experience my family (indeed, the opposite is the norm). But great loss such as this is that time.

Understand that we are twisted and sick people. We cannot, will not, allow someone close to leave without laughter and appropriately inappropriate behavior.

If you have never been to a service where the mourners were switching from tears to laughter and back over and over, then you have never been to one with us.

Nothing abates the loss. Nor will anything fill the void. But being able to temper the pain with laughter and recalling the good things that made the person so dear to us helps start the healing. It truly does.

Mourn, yes. But remember. Remember the good. Remember the embarrassing. Remember the jokes. Remember the arguments. Remember the person whole, intact, as they lived - warts and all.

In the end, memories are all we truly have and all that we should truly value. Cherish them. Celebrate them. Share them.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 10
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 5:55:57 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: rlp805

In.
I don't have many cabs that this board would consider special but I'll do what I can.

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

I did not know Brad, but in his honor, we will open something nice and do a toast to him. Unfortunately, I have no memories of Brad to share. I understand, from several threads, that he was a gracious, generous person who would want us to just enjoy something that appeals.

Can't guarantee it will be a Cab, but it will be special. So hopefully that qualifies as "in".

Cheers!

Please don't fret about your choice of wine, Brad may have loved Cabernets, but he also loved Burgundy, Rhone, Champagne, Rieslings, etc. And no worries if you didn't know him, or have no memories to share, the spirit of OTBN is that we all have bottles we are holding for a special occasion and this becomes the occasion. IF you have one of those, feel free to open if you desire, but there is no formality here...

(in reply to rlp805)
Post #: 11
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 5:59:31 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgriffith

It is rare indeed when I wish that anyone could experience my family (indeed, the opposite is the norm). But great loss such as this is that time.

Understand that we are twisted and sick people. We cannot, will not, allow someone close to leave without laughter and appropriately inappropriate behavior.

If you have never been to a service where the mourners were switching from tears to laughter and back over and over, then you have never been to one with us.

Nothing abates the loss. Nor will anything fill the void. But being able to temper the pain with laughter and recalling the good things that made the person so dear to us helps start the healing. It truly does.

Mourn, yes. But remember. Remember the good. Remember the embarrassing. Remember the jokes. Remember the arguments. Remember the person whole, intact, as they lived - warts and all.

In the end, memories are all we truly have and all that we should truly value. Cherish them. Celebrate them. Share them.

Sage advice Malcolm, thank you. Brad and I shared so much laughter and more than a few fun stories. I'll try to post a few over the weeks to come.

Cheers!

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 12
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 5:59:48 AM   
mclancy10006

Oh yeah. My DryCab will likely by Syrah either a La La or an SQN or both.

Mark

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 13
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 6:04:28 AM   
ikkaariainen

quote:

I'd like to invite you to join me in raising a glass (or several glasses) to Brad (drycab) on Friday December 16th. His passing still leaves a void in the lives of those who knew him personally, or simply through his large presence on CT. His wife Lesley has read your many kind words posted to the prior thread, and while our hearts are still heavy, his friends and family are all grateful to the warm and generous community we have on this forum.

Brad believed no bottle is sacred, wine is meant to be shared, and a trip into his cellar was a proverbial trip to the "Candy Store." That said, he's also be the first to say "It ain't ready, put it back" and would then just go in and pull something even more amazing. I've a lot of bottles bought for those "special occasions" and if life has taught me anything these past 3 weeks it is there are no guarantees...carpe diem!

Many of you are participating in the CT Secret Santa which this year is paying some homage to Brad with probably many Cabernet's riding in the sleigh. With reveal on December 11th perhaps this is a good night to open that gift bottle. Hopefully many others in our community might join in to open a nice bottle in Brad's honor as well. I plan to attend an annual Festivus celebration in Portland that night, and then gather with a few CT friends from this forum, open several bottles, and tell many loud and unbelievable stories as a toast to Brad and the times we shared.

I hope you will join us in raiding your cellar for something worthy of the occasion by posting some great wines and memories here.

I do think that Kim & I will be in on this....

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 14
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 6:18:41 AM   
mc2 wines

We're on our way to Vegas for the UNC-UK game that evening (a conflict-filled 2 hours in our household which will determine the top ornament on our Christmas tree), but will track something down when we arrive to at least raise a glass. Excellent idea.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to ikkaariainen)
Post #: 15
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 6:27:43 AM   
cookiefiend

Heck yeah!

We're in like Flynn!

What a great idea Scott, I just spent some time looking back at some of my PM's with Brad (and feeling a bit weepy) and remembering what a great guy he was and a fellow GSD lover as well.
We'll find something awesome for the 16th… something I'm sure he would have liked!

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 16
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 6:38:36 AM   
oskiwawa

In for sure. Will be out of town travelling on Reveal Day but back at home for the 16th. THe group toast is a fine tribute.

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 17
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 6:40:00 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

We're on our way to Vegas for the UNC-UK game that evening (a conflict-filled 2 hours in our household which will determine the top ornament on our Christmas tree), but will track something down when we arrive to at least raise a glass. Excellent idea.

GO HEELS (sorry Chels)

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 18
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 7:53:03 AM   
mgriffith

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgriffith

Sage advice Malcolm, thank you. Brad and I shared so much laughter and more than a few fun stories. I'll try to post a few over the weeks to come.

Cheers!

And now to stir the pot a little:

Malcom is my first name. I was raised in the good southern tradition of going by your middle name. Alas, as the age of computerization hit concurrent with my school years, I was forced to spend weeks or months each year breaking every teacher from calling me Malcom (let me tell you - that is NOT a kid-friendly name) and to use the name I used. By the time college rolled around I was beaten into submission and simply started going by Malcom. No more fuss, no more aggravation.

What did I go by before Malcom? The name I was raised under and which the family still calls me?

Yup. Brad. Short for Bradley. (I was named for Omar Bradley, but that is another story for another time).

So you see, we Brads are exceptional people.

Now tell me that did not at least elicit a chuckle.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 19
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 8:00:49 AM   
fingers

A good chuckle with a hint of poignancy.

Cheers Malcom

Maybe on 12/16 we can all be Brads.

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 20
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 8:46:44 AM   
mclancy10006

@hollowine - I might not finish off the Pappy before the other three. A couple of fingers of it might be enough. :)

On the trio I might be there with you on the SQN and Cayuse, but might do something other than Shafer like Hundred Acre...

-Mark

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 21
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 9:49:52 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

@hollowine - I might not finish off the Pappy before the other three. A couple of fingers of it might be enough. :)

On the trio I might be there with you on the SQN and Cayuse, but might do something other than Shafer like Hundred Acre...

-Mark

Just showing options and bottles I've shared with Brad over the years, I'm not sure yet what I'll open, probably the HSS and Frog for sure. Hundred Acre would be very appropriate given his vast love of those wines.

And agree...I'm not quite to the point of needing to chug a liter of Pappy, but it is getting close...

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 22
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 12:10:11 PM   
S1

He was also a lover of all things P Melka, C Welch, R Foley, B Levy/M McClellan...
He wasn't picky; he only demanded the best.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 23
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 1:04:21 PM   
mc2 wines

In the spirit of sharing Brad stories - I remember when we first got on the Hundred Acre list and we were trying to figure out which of the wines we should get (we didn't think we could afford all three at the time). Posted something asking for input. Brad's response - come down to Florida and we'll pop all three, grill a steak, and we can decide for ourselves. We never made that trip, but very indicative of the person Brad was.

So to the day HA is one of the wines I most associate with Brad (along of course with Harlan, Bond, ...).

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 24
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 2:24:55 PM   
kingkanu

Great idea, it's in my diary and I will find something suitable to share that night

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 25
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 3:33:41 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

In the spirit of sharing Brad stories - I remember when we first got on the Hundred Acre list and we were trying to figure out which of the wines we should get (we didn't think we could afford all three at the time). Posted something asking for input. Brad's response - come down to Florida and we'll pop all three, grill a steak, and we can decide for ourselves. We never made that trip, but very indicative of the person Brad was.

So to the day HA is one of the wines I most associate with Brad (along of course with Harlan, Bond, ...).

and...and...

Is that Brother Clancy two-fisting in the background?

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 26
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 3:53:48 PM   
Yossarian

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingkanu

Great idea, it's in my diary and I will find something suitable to share that night

But Kingkanu has only Pinot in his cellar? Come on amigo - what will you do?

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to kingkanu)
Post #: 27
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 4:02:50 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingkanu

But Kingkanu has only Pinot in his cellar? Come on amigo - what will you do?

Red Burgundy works.
White Burgundy might even be better.
Bradley loved both.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 28
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/23/2016 4:56:16 PM   
khmark7

What's this??? An excuse to open tasty wine!!! Deep in the bowels of my Eurocave i'm sure i have a bottle or two....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 29
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 11/24/2016 6:54:50 AM   
GalvezGuy

Count me in buddy.

1987 Heitz Martha's Vineyard seems to be the right choice along with a 1991 Mondavi Reserve.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI