CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 8:45:40 AM   
mqvn

Based on the clue inside the box, mentioning the Government Of Kazakhstan, knowing it was delivered locally, looking at the initials GOK, knowing we love God Only Knows from Cayuse in our house... my first guess is Slye. Are you my SS?

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 91
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 8:48:46 AM   
Slye

Oh dear. Jen thought the clues were too hard. I thought they were a bit easy. :-)

Yes, I am your secret santa mqvn. I just noticed that you have some more recent vintages of HBL -- so this will give you an opportunity to try an aged one to see if you like it!

Have a very good holiday season. Hope to see you guys soon!

(in reply to mqvn)
Post #: 92
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 8:50:26 AM   
mqvn

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

The sleuthing continues! So there's a few folks in here where the names don't connect to cellars and/or cellars are not viewable so I am leaving those to the side. And there are some others where the note we received would seem to indicate they are not the person. In the note our SS mentioned having had Rotie in the past if not this specific one. There is one person in here who has some Rotie in the cellar. mqvn - are you our secret santa?

As much as we love Rotie in our home, I am not your SS.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 93
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 8:59:03 AM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: mqvn

quote:

The sleuthing continues! So there's a few folks in here where the names don't connect to cellars and/or cellars are not viewable so I am leaving those to the side. And there are some others where the note we received would seem to indicate they are not the person. In the note our SS mentioned having had Rotie in the past if not this specific one. There is one person in here who has some Rotie in the cellar. mqvn - are you our secret santa?

As much as we love Rotie in our home, I am not your SS.

Oh my. Is there a prize for the most wrong guesses?

Totally out of left field because can't see CT history, but Rossidio, are you our SS?

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to mqvn)
Post #: 94
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 9:09:28 AM   
Franklin 10

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin 10

So here’s my guess: MC2, are you my 2017 Secret Santa?

Ding ding ding!!! Yes, we are your SS

Really hope you enjoy the wines. It looked like you were a fan of Diamond Creek and aged Cali, so an older vintage seemed to make sense. And Progeny is not a lot of people's radar, but is very high quality and sounded like it would fit with your tasting notes (it's a favorite of ours). Figured that might be a giveaway as I think we are all of the notes for those wines, but they are quite good (both are really made to age or need a LONG decant).

Best wishes and happy holidays to you and your family!

Yay, found you!

Thanks again so much for these wines. I’ll find sometime soon to enjoy the DC and share it (and the story) with friends an/or family who will appreciate both. I’ll lose the Progeny in the cellar for now and let Father Time work his magic.

Definetely things to look forward to!

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well!

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 95
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 9:42:11 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

I am also a bit stumped...... waiting for my last guess to get shot down so I can move on to another possibility.

Shot through the Heart, and you're to blame, baby your last guess, is real lame

Sorry, still channeling my Joizey roots. Not me Ron

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 96
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 9:44:10 AM   
Slye

Hmmm. Need to think a bit more. The tapas and Penedes blanco in front of me should help!

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 97
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 9:47:10 AM   
jrockman

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrockman

I will venture my first guess, more a hunch than anything else; being gifted an Old World syrah, which is right up this person's alley - mclancy, are you my Secret Santa?

Checking in, still no response to my guess, thinking he may have missed it - paging Mark; .............. Mark?

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 98
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 10:09:07 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

quote:

I will venture my first guess, more a hunch than anything else; being gifted an Old World syrah, which is right up this person's alley - mclancy, are you my Secret Santa?

Checking in, still no response to my guess, thinking he may have missed it - paging Mark; .............. Mark?

HEIC here confirming a NOPE. Keeping sleuthing Jeff.

I'm have a bit of technical difficulty today, forgot my power supply on my normal machine, but I'll try to update/answer best I can, then give a full accounting tomorrow, with some help or nudges where needed, and a clearer tally of remaining Santas.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 99
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 10:55:07 AM   
mclancy10006

quote:

quote:

Sorry missed it. Not me this time, but a solid guess to my "go to" region.

-Mark

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 100
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 11:06:42 AM   
jrockman

Thanks Mark

quote:

I have yet to hear back on my first guess, but I have done some more sleuthing and I have my 2nd choice ready to go if wrong on the first.

On to my second guess, based on research this time. This person has zero bottles in his cellar, but his tasting notes are there for viewing. He has a single Rhone tasting note; it just happens to be for the same producer, same vintage, same varietal, albeit a different bottle - CranBurgundy, are you my Secret Santa?

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 101
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 11:17:39 AM   
Franklin 10

Having fun watching my giftee...

Dragging out nicely. Timing is most everything!

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 102
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 11:41:17 AM   
crispino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jack667
Yes, Chris, I am your Secret Santa! I saw in your request that you wanted something that you could enjoy right away, so I thought this would be a great fit. I hope you enjoy it! I need to do a thorough cellar inventory, but I believe it's the last of 6 that I procured long ago, and I enjoyed every one of them. Cheers!
{I guess I'll switch my location back. So much for obfuscation!]

NICE! Thank you so much Jack! I have really gotten to love this tradition. I look forward to enjoying this and will let you know how it is.

- Chris

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 103
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 11:59:54 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

I guess I'll switch my location back. So much for obfuscation!

You need to be a better subterfugelist.

quote:

Well, there’s a paucity of clues about who my generous SS is. The calls on my interest in older wines and my interest in Diamond Creek show that that someone was quite thoughtful (and right in target!).

Regarding the Progeny Winery gifts: Smahk has some in the cellar but is a Bad Santa this year so scratch that one.

MC2 and Cranburgundy discussed Cran’s auction purchase of a 2007 some time back. Mr. Burgundy is not recording his wines on his eponymous CT page so that’s no help.

MC2 doesn’t have the 2013 CS Reserve in his cellar (yet?) but has older vintages of that plus the 2013 Trinity. Also, he’s mentioned his appreciation for the owner (Paul) and love of the wines (including leaving the moratorium to purchase the ‘08 vintage).

That's exactly who I would have guessed had I received that bottle. Well done!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 104
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 1:01:29 PM   
Franklin 10

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

I guess I'll switch my location back. So much for obfuscation!

You need to be a better subterfugelist.

quote:

Well, there’s a paucity of clues about who my generous SS is. The calls on my interest in older wines and my interest in Diamond Creek show that that someone was quite thoughtful (and right in target!).

Regarding the Progeny Winery gifts: Smahk has some in the cellar but is a Bad Santa this year so scratch that one.

MC2 and Cranburgundy discussed Cran’s auction purchase of a 2007 some time back. Mr. Burgundy is not recording his wines on his eponymous CT page so that’s no help.

MC2 doesn’t have the 2013 CS Reserve in his cellar (yet?) but has older vintages of that plus the 2013 Trinity. Also, he’s mentioned his appreciation for the owner (Paul) and love of the wines (including leaving the moratorium to purchase the ‘08 vintage).

That's exactly who I would have guessed had I received that bottle. Well done!

Didn’t overthink names, this increased my energy.

the Empirate

-abra berens

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 105
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 1:33:21 PM   
ern1

Yes Chris, I am your SS. When I start looking for local vendors to use for your wine I checked the Omaha Wine Company and found that Leah was involved in a tasting that coming weekend. That gave me the idea - but I had no idea that she would actually deliver the wine personally. My plan was for her to have Mike sign a bottle and then deliver it to John(?) at Omaha Wine Company who would gift wrap it for presentation to you. I spent some time on the phone with John explaining the shenanigans we at CT undertake yearly for SS. Then a few emails with Leah who was more than willing to help. Little did I know that her help included personal delivery. When I found out that she did, I figured that the gift wrap part of the plan had gone amiss. And I apologize for that. But I hope you enjoy the wine and the keepsake signed bottle. It looked like you had a lot of Napa Cab in your cellar, so hopefully you'll find Mike's juice to you liking. Merry Christmas!
[/quote]

Well done Don! Always fun trying to explain our Secret Santa game to outsiders. I always get some quizzical looks and head nods. Leah was a trooper. The event at Omaha Wine Co can be a madhouse so for her to make two attempts after a long day was most gracious. We exchanged emails since and I'm on the Quivet list but have not purchased. I'm genuinely excited to try one of his wines. Unfortunately the wife is pregnant so I ve been careful to open mostly daily drinkers. Perhaps when baby arrives we ll find time to open this.
Thank you again sir.
We will have a memory for a lifetime whenever we open this. Merry Christmas,
Chris and Kari

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 106
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 3:37:37 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

On to my second guess, based on research this time. This person has zero bottles in his cellar, but his tasting notes are there for viewing. He has a single Rhone tasting note; it just happens to be for the same producer, same vintage, same varietal, albeit a different bottle - CranBurgundy, are you my Secret Santa?

You got it - I am your CT SS. When I saw your cellar had such a large percentage of domestic Syrah, I thought you might like to try an Old World style from a vintage that was a bit cooler. Enjoy it!

ps - I think the HEIC might want to get a glass of that himself according to our brief conversation when I told him what I shipped you.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 107
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 3:50:24 PM   
CranBurgundy

Will the 3rd time be a charm? I'm sticking with my theory that my CT SS is a regular member who would be tight with the conspirators, so of the Good Santas left I'll try again:

mclancy10006 - Mark, are you my CellarTracer Secret Santa?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Post #: 108
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 4:38:59 PM   
Hollowine

OK, into the fray...

I ruled out a couple people for various reasons, and started to look at the cellars of a few Santa's I'm not so familiar with. After a couple cellars I couldn't see, I landed on someone who has some good inventory of Italian wines, and he has several bottles of this vintage, this producer.

MWEST, are you my SS?

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 12/10/2017 5:13:28 PM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 109
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 4:53:17 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

OK, into the fray...

I ruled out a couple people for various reasons, and started to look at the cellars of a few Santa's I'm not so familiar with. After a couple cellars I couldn't see, I landed on someone who has some good inventory of Italian wines, and happens to have had some of these same wines (albeit 1964, 1971) in their consumption record.

IzeAgeComing, are you my SS?

Scott - I think he was correctly identified already. Check back through the thread, and you'll see his recipient guessed him due to song lyrics.

The HEIC has yet to update a couple pages of IDs. There are only around 7 undiscovered Santas left.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 110
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:01:27 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

Will the 3rd time be a charm? I'm sticking with my theory that my CT SS is a regular member who would be tight with the conspirators, so of the Good Santas left I'll try again:

Not this time. I would have sent you burg!

-M

Post #: 111
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:04:02 PM   
mclancy10006

Hollowine are you my Secret Santa? (if you really are in this group.) :)

-Mark

(in reply to ern1)
Post #: 112
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:14:35 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

OK, into the fray...

I ruled out a couple people for various reasons, and started to look at the cellars of a few Santa's I'm not so familiar with. After a couple cellars I couldn't see, I landed on someone who has some good inventory of Italian wines, and happens to have had some of these same wines (albeit 1964, 1971) in their consumption record.

IzeAgeComing, are you my SS?

Scott - I think he was correctly identified already. Check back through the thread, and you'll see his recipient guessed him due to song lyrics.

The HEIC has yet to update a couple pages of IDs. There are only around 7 undiscovered Santas left.

Dude, I don't know what you are talking about, I guessed MWEST...are you trying to sully my MEGASANTA reputation here?

Post #: 113
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:16:44 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

Hollowine are you my Secret Santa? (if you really are in this group.) :)

-Mark

Sorry Mark, I'm not. I would have sent you a LaLa if I were...

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 114
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:32:36 PM   
jrockman

quote:

quote:

You got it - I am your CT SS. When I saw your cellar had such a large percentage of domestic Syrah, I thought you might like to try an Old World style from a vintage that was a bit cooler. Enjoy it!

ps - I think the HEIC might want to get a glass of that himself according to our brief conversation when I told him what I shipped you.

Thanks Dennis! As you could see, I'm a fan of WA syrah, so very much looking forward to one from the Old World. Excellent choice!

After my hunch guess on mclancy failed, I started from the top of the list and you were second after crispino, so didn't take long to find your tasting note.

Thank you!

Post #: 115
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:35:01 PM   
jrockman

I'm flying low under the radar; I don't believe any of the recipients have targeted me for a guess yet.

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 116
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:36:15 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

quote:

Not this time. I would have sent you burg!

Wow, I'm really bad at this. Talk about a sophomore slump! Maybe I have to drop the whole conspiracy theory because those guys did a number on me.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 117
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:42:12 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

jrockman, are you my home Santa?

Cran, I'll spare you more misery. I'm your Santa. That other box you got from JJB was a mistake. I sent you two bottles of JB Neufeld. Thanks for paying for your Secret Santa gift.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 118
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:46:03 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

jrockman, are you my home Santa?

Cran, I'll spare you more misery. I'm your Santa. That other box you got from JJB was a mistake. I sent you two bottles of JB Neufeld. Thanks for paying for your Secret Santa gift.

Hahahaha! Tricked me into laying out the $$$, didn't you? If you were a Good Santa, I might actually believe that.

EDIT: Whoever of the last 6 Good Santas is my SS, they certainly picked a great bottle and were very silent about it. The card only says that it's from the Kellers. Anyone who shows their last name in their profile is not a Keller.

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 12/10/2017 5:48:19 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 119
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 6:32:29 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

I'm flying low under the radar; I don't believe any of the recipients have targeted me for a guess yet.

The only reason I haven't guessed you is because I was your SS, and my thinking was that the odds of us being each other's SS were pretty slim.

But since you need to have a guess, I'll oblige.

jrockman: Jeff, are you my CT SS?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI