CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Joe Le Taxi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Joe Le Taxi Page: <<   < prev  178 179 [180] 181 182   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 12/7/2015 1:50:42 PM   
fingers

Joe says to turn the page

Or was it Bob Seger?

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 5371
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 12/7/2015 1:50:46 PM   
mgriffith

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

I am not even going there.
Nope
Nuh uh
Never never never

but the TEMPTATION!
OH EM GEE!

Are you saying *SOMEONE* knows what the windows on the short bus taste like?

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 5372
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 12/11/2015 1:13:46 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Or was it Bob Seger?

The worthy Bob Seger, and lawd 'ave mercy, next April will make 40 years since the big 'Double Live Bullet' album came out. Love the song 'Turn the Page,' listen to it every time it comes on the radio.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 5373
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 12/11/2015 3:14:57 PM   
BornToRhone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Or was it Bob Seger?

The worthy Bob Seger, and lawd 'ave mercy, next April will make 40 years since the big 'Double Live Bullet' album came out. Love the song 'Turn the Page,' listen to it every time it comes on the radio.

40 YEARS!!! Omg!!

From that day and age, Bob Seger was cool, but....

There was another artist from NJ.....

Same time frame.....

Wait for it.......

Baby, I was BorntoRhone?!

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 12/11/2015 3:16:13 PM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5374
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 12/25/2015 9:26:54 AM   
Old Doug

Thoughts too for the elderly, the poor, the alone.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 5375
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/8/2016 5:47:01 AM   
Old Doug

The Space Simulation Vacuum Chamber at NASA's Glenn Research Center/Space Power Facility in Sandusky, Ohio, USA, is big - 100 feet wide and 122 feet high (30 x 37 meters). An impressive vacuum can be achieved inside it, with 99.9999999974% of the air removed.
Got to thinking - all the outside air pressing on this thing - I came up with 48,000 tons of force on the outside of it, so it's probably built fairly stout.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5376
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/8/2016 8:06:46 AM   
racerchris

quote:

... with 99.9999999974% of the air removed.

It must be an immense diffusion pump to capture all those air molecules.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5377
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/8/2016 8:33:09 PM   
Old Doug

Chris, the website says: The chamber provides an empty-chamber vacuum capability of 2×10–6 torr using a combination of roughing pumps and high-vacuum equipment. The roughing system consists of two identical 5-stage, parallel trains of rotary-lobe blowers and rotary-piston mechanical pumps, which pump the chamber and annulus simultaneously to 20 torr, and subsequently the chamber only to 30 mtorr. High-vacuum is achieved using 5 turbomolecular pumps and 10 cryogenic pumps.

No expert here, certainly, but I'm guessing that diffusion pumps present too much risk of contaminating the chamber with oil or other used fluid.

Our oil processing rigs have a comparatively modest (to say the least) setup of one rotary-lobe blower feeding two rotary-piston vac pumps. My project this week and next is getting one of the rotary-piston ones fixed up. Good stuff - heavily built, high-quality metals.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 5378
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/9/2016 4:21:10 AM   
racerchris

quote:

No expert here, certainly, but I'm guessing that diffusion pumps present too much risk of contaminating the chamber with oil or other used fluid.

My experience is limited to a few years in a materials research lab more than 25 years ago, where we sometimes needed high vacuum in a furnace.
If I recall correctly, oil contamination was only a problem for us if the diffusion pump overheated as a result of roughing pump failure or premature shutdown.
I read the Wikipedia pages on turbomolecular and cryogenic pumps. Turbomolecular pumps look quite challenging to build and operate.

Chris Foley
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5379
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/9/2016 4:22:36 AM   
racerchris

So do they put people in spacesuits inside that chamber?

Chris Foley
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 5380
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/9/2016 7:23:09 AM   
rlp805

Turbo molecular or "turbo" pump are very common in the semiconductor world to pump chambers (much smaller chambers than this) down to the mid-7 range. They are the preferred pump for systems that pump done to low vacuums to clear impurities (mainly water) and then flow various reactive gases that are them ignited to form a reactive etch (google Reactive Ion Etcher). Yes the DP pumps can back stream oil especially if they are expose to air resulting in boiling and "burning the oil" most of the time if a DP pump is used it has a small cry pump or cold trap in from of it to act as a filter. The 2e10-6 is probably their limit because the chamber must be completely free of water (from air) to get into the 10-7 range so that becomes a much harder problem. The roughing pumps would pull the bulk of the sire out before the other pumps took over after that they would would back the turbos to help them get the exhausted gases out.

Although we do some work for NASA we are mostly electronic R&D, so to my knowledge none of my stuff has ever been in this chamber. If they put people in they would be in space suits but my guess is this is used to check the engineering of mechanical parts not really for people. The issue of stress in space is some what different from stress on land and a chamber like this is about the only way they could do it. I was once told (can not confirm if it is true but it came from someone who should know) that the bay doors of the space shuttle can not be operated on land, without outside support.

I will qualify these statements by saying I do not design or maintain vacuum equipment but I am a end user in the semiconductor world I could be wrong.

-Richard

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 5381
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/15/2016 2:06:02 PM   
Old Doug

Rather than drift even more on the Premier Cru thread itself, I thought I'd post here. Joe and I are drinkin' buddies, after all.

It's funny - some of the things that really get to us. I've had a charmed life. Never broken a bone (and have taken some fearful whacks), never really been ****** over by anybody. Well, a couple times, actually. Once was somebody punching holes in the radiator of my pickup truck with a metal rod or something. Don't know the motivation, didn't happen again, never found out who. The repair shop that put in a new radiator told me the old one was on its last legs anyway - 14 years of salt spray, salt water and salt slush from winters in the midwestern US had left it like brittle rusty paper. So no big deal. I did think about it; was somebody at work mad at me? - that would be the most likely deal, but no....

The other time was in high school. With another boy, I had a bet on the outcome of something. He lost, and owed me $5. Then he would not pay. And he was a really little dude. He was stubborn and defiant, and I could not believe it. We went a few days, and after his third blunt refusal to pay, I started knocking his books out of his hands, etc. I mean I put it on him, a life of living hell. Pass by him in the hall, punch him, trip him, made no secret of him being scum of the earth, a welcher. He got tired of it, but never paid. Three weeks or so, and I'd gotten 'my pound of flesh,' and more, at least $5 worth, so it all ended. But man, that really bummed me out. Broken promise; "you didn't do what you said you would."

That's what bugs me so much about Premier Cru. The promise, which boiled down to "You send us the money, and we'll send you the wine (even if it's after a while)." Sure, theft, fraud, nasty people, but to break that promise... ....

Not like my parents were drill sergeants about it or anything; no big extra emphasis on it while we kids were growing up. I'm not one for religion or pretenses of external morality, but that "one's word is their bond," makes total sense to me, and I would not willingly break a promise. If it's in doubt, I'll try to move Heaven and Earth to come through. We lie all the time, little lies of social necessity, and then the scale varies as far as how actually bad it is in the moral/ethical sense. But if you say you are going to do something, then you should do it.

When we get to Bernie Madoff, there's a cold, vacant, dire feeling that grips me. Now he really did hurt some people. You save money your whole life for retirement, and then because of fraud on somebody else's part, it's gone. Wow. Being in my late 50s, I guess I fear such a thing. That would be a bad promise to have broken.

(in reply to rlp805)
Post #: 5382
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/15/2016 6:21:30 PM   
champagneinhand

I'm with you on your word in your honor, but the modern world hasn't worked that way in a long time. I'm not a violent guy, but I did break a plate over a guys head as a freshman in high school. Learned that fighting in the cafeteria was heavily frowned upon. Of course my dad, raised during the depression, asked me if I was defending myself and I was. I got a suspension but no punishment much to the horror if my mother. I didn't fight again until basic training in the Army. I should have got creamed by this tall inner city guy from DC. He grabbed me up and raised me over his head. Then instinct kicked in. I grabbed him in a full headlock which dropped him and myself back to the ground. While choking the life out of him I apologized for losing it and we broke off before drill sergeants showed up and would have taken half our pay and rank. He was D-1 so I had more to lose.

There is no real reason to fight as an adult but I was in the Army. They were at that point training us to kill. Glad I went straight to the medical corps right after that.

Then I saw the horrors of war from the view point of a caregiver. I think being the aggressor it defender might be a preferable position as you rarely see anything fun as a combat medic or working in the hospitals. I lie to defuse things rather than escalate things. It's a much more rewarding practice even if you have no horse in the race.

Weird vacuum chamber. Almost the opposite physics of subs like Deep Blue. I loved looking at the deep sea subs at the museum at Sub base Bangor. For you in the Seattle area it's a worthwhile trip on the auto ferry to Bainbridge Island and a short ride or use the West Seattle ferry and stop off at Andrew Will on Vashon Island then off at Port Orchard. That way you get to drive around and see the Bremerton shipyards on your way to that museum. Those areas were my old haunts for two separate periods in my life.

Glad to see JlT up and running again.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5383
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/19/2016 6:31:11 AM   
Old Doug

How to know when your cat is fully charged.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 5384
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/29/2016 10:10:26 PM   
Old Doug

Guilty pleasure: salt and vinegar potato chips.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5385
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/29/2016 11:03:08 PM   
MindMuse

(Shhh! I like them with Chardonnay.)

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5386
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/30/2016 1:32:14 AM   
Old Doug

My good friend Dennis. And I've only met you what - twice?

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 5387
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/30/2016 1:34:50 AM   
MindMuse

Remember Faye Le Taxi?

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5388
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/30/2016 1:54:19 AM   
Old Doug

Ha! Indubitably!

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 5389
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/30/2016 6:53:25 AM   
musedir

Great Lowlands memories, you miscreants

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5390
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 1/30/2016 2:06:47 PM   
MindMuse

We scaled some heights that night.
Well, at least Doug did.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 5391
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 2/14/2016 10:40:15 AM   
wadcorp

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 5392
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 2/14/2016 1:06:49 PM   
dontime

Better drink up!

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 5393
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 2/16/2016 2:53:24 PM   
wadcorp

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 5394
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 2/19/2016 2:54:19 PM   
wadcorp

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 5395
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 2/25/2016 2:27:34 PM   
wadcorp

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 5396
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 2/25/2016 4:50:30 PM   
grizzlymarmot

As a big fan of French Pop
I am just guessing what could be an appropriate post here.

Here is a conflicted message from my office fax.

Perhaps the result of an animated programmer's Freudian slip.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 5397
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 2/26/2016 4:28:25 AM   
Old Doug

One of my co-workers died yesterday. Not really an out-of-the-ordinary story. He definitely liked his whiskey.

Nice guy with a few problems. Drank heavy for a long time. His wife left him last summer, and he was off work with a hurt back for a couple months; drank like crazy. He'd been told by doctors, in no uncertain terms, to stop with alcohol; it wasn't to be. Cirrhosis of the liver. Very fast slide downhill this past month. Goodbye Steve.

(in reply to grizzlymarmot)
Post #: 5398
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 2/27/2016 6:27:54 PM   
grizzlymarmot

Well Doug - you have nicely tied the previous two posts together which is certainly a theme I note in this thread.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 5399
RE: Joe Le Taxi - 2/27/2016 8:44:40 PM   
MindMuse

(in reply to grizzlymarmot)
Post #: 5400
Page:   <<   < prev  178 179 [180] 181 182   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Joe Le Taxi Page: <<   < prev  178 179 [180] 181 182   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI