CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Dry January 2024

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Dry January 2024 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/17/2024 10:15:05 AM   
Ibetian

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Well, I don't routinely weigh myself -- one of those other habits successful people have that somehow I never really adopted. Sometimes I've done it when on a serious diet (but once the diet was over, obsessively checking my weight was like the very first thing to go!)

But your analysis is encouraging. I guess I'm significantly reducing my calorie intake right now. In fact this has been a very easy time to skip wine. Nobody to drink with in any case, and I don't like to be drinking wine outside of social contexts.

The comments about buying a can for cooking, then dumping the rest have me wondering if I'll start drinking a glass with dinner once or twice in a row, but then dump the rest. Right now my habit has generally been to not dump out great wine. Coravin seemed to be the magic answer until I realized that in some subtle way, it doesn't seem to really work. Hard to put a description on the issue, but just the same, those bottles don't work as well for me and it becomes evident within a few days.

So the question does become one of pouring out half a bottle, perhaps of a very good wine.

I’ve never done it, but I believe you can freeze wine.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 61
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/17/2024 11:05:28 AM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

If you're after brown liquid, I recommend fake Guinness.

Funny that you said that! I visited a friend in Denver the first weekend of January, and since he loves Guiness he knew that they had a non-alcoholic version. It took us a bit of searching, but we found some and had it with lunch on Saturday.

It does not, however, warm the insides like a wee dram would.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 62
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/17/2024 11:45:19 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB
The comments about buying a can for cooking, then dumping the rest have me wondering if I'll start drinking a glass with dinner once or twice in a row, but then dump the rest. Right now my habit has generally been to not dump out great wine. Coravin seemed to be the magic answer until I realized that in some subtle way, it doesn't seem to really work. Hard to put a description on the issue, but just the same, those bottles don't work as well for me and it becomes evident within a few days.

So the question does become one of pouring out half a bottle, perhaps of a very good wine.

For cooking, I normally buy 25cl cartons of Tavernello. Tavernello actually isn't as awful as you'd think, and is certainly good enough for cooking with. These keep a few days in the fridge too -- at least, for cooking purposes. I guess there'd be similar small cartons in other markets.

If you have a left over portion of a bottle of decent wine, that would be a much better option for cooking. It'd probably still be ok for cooking after being open a number of days.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ibetian
I’ve never done it, but I believe you can freeze wine.

I've heard this too. I think at this point it'd be no good for drinking, but likely more than ok for cooking. I've yet to try it myself, though.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 63
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/17/2024 7:42:20 PM   
Ibetian

Well today marks the kickoff of the second half of Dry January. We shut out Demon Rum in the first half, but he’s a wily fellow and likely made some adjustments during halftime. Can’t let down now!

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 64
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/18/2024 12:05:44 PM   
BRR

Stay strong, Ibetian. You've got this!

Cheers!

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 65
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/18/2024 2:46:17 PM   
BornToRhone

quote:

Well today marks the kickoff of the second half of Dry January. We shut out Demon Rum in the first half, but he’s a wily fellow and likely made some adjustments during halftime. Can’t let down now!

With you all the way! Not a drop in 2024 yet!

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 66
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/21/2024 1:26:11 PM   
haggis

Involuntary here, too, thanks to pulmonary embolism ("significant" clots in both lungs). Blood thinners and alcohol not a recommended combination. This, too, shall pass (I bloody well hope!).

(in reply to chrisrsprague)
Post #: 67
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/21/2024 1:45:17 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

quote:

With you all the way! Not a drop in 2024 yet!

“I believe I can hang witch chew fellas” (Eddie Murphy, Trading Places). Day 21. End of week 3. Week 4 starts tomorrow. On cruise control now.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 68
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/21/2024 2:09:45 PM   
Ibetian

Staying strong, despite multiple situations where we would ordinarily be drinking wine. Last night dinner at a nice restaurant followed by an opening night with passed sparkling wine. Tomorrow dinner with friends. Several other lunches or dinners out.

We really haven’t seriously been tempted to drink yet, but 10 tough days ahead.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 69
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/21/2024 3:36:59 PM   
KPB

My wife is retired but used to treat such things, often together with other issues like diabetes. She says that until they are fully confident they clots are gone, not adding alcohol to the other drugs is a common restriction. Later, once past that stage and on a maintenance dose, she says to talk frankly about your drinking pattern and priorities with someone you trust at your provider’s office, and they should be able to work out something that would be safe.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 70
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/24/2024 7:35:46 PM   
Ibetian

Ok, down to the last week of Dry January. I feel like a prisoner crossing out each day in the calendar until the end of my sentence.

We continue to hang in there without serious temptation to indulge.

My wife and I have both seen benefits: lost a few pounds, improved sleep, and maybe feel just a bit sharper.

So we need to stay strong a little longer, but feel confident.

How are my fellow pilgrims doing?

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 71
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/24/2024 7:46:05 PM   
WineGuyCO

Still hanging strong. Day 25 tomorrow. Already have dinner plans on Thursday February 1st. A week from tomorrow. Prime NY & Rib Eye steak with a 2014 Beringer Private Reserve Cab. Will do a weigh in then too to see how it’s coming. My wife has been a Saint doing this (and no carbs) with me but I know she’s ready for this to be over.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 72
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/25/2024 12:00:38 PM   
skifree

quote:

Ok, down to the last week of Dry January. I feel like a prisoner crossing out each day in the calendar until the end of my sentence.

We continue to hang in there without serious temptation to indulge.

My wife and I have both seen benefits: lost a few pounds, improved sleep, and maybe feel just a bit sharper.

So we need to stay strong a little longer, but feel confident.

How are my fellow pilgrims doing?

This is my day to do an early check-out. Heading to Palm Springs in a few minutes.

I weighed myself today, had lost my holiday pounds. Also have noticed the improved sleep and feeling a tad sharper as well.

Plan to do my dry Monday again this year (more of a guideline than an actual rule).

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 73
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/27/2024 5:30:15 AM   
Ibetian

Today is the last Saturday of Dry January. We have stayed strong. Last night we saw Dead Set, a Grateful Dead cover band at the Seafood Festival here in Sarasota. The band was great especially the lead guitar. We did not have a drop of wine, beer or any other substance that could alter consciousness. Jerry must have rolled over in his grave!

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 74
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/27/2024 7:59:41 PM   
KPB

Only three weeks in for me! I started late. Not finding it hard.

Ken Birman

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 75
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/29/2024 2:32:36 PM   
Ibetian

4 weeks down, just 3 days to go!

We still haven’t been seriously tempted, but I’m ready for DJ to be over.

My wife might extend into the first couple of days of February, and have her first wine of the year 2/3. Will I be a good, supportive husband and wait until 2/3 to indulge? Or will I yank out a cork and start guzzling on 2/1 at 12:01 am? Hmmmm…

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 76
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/31/2024 7:46:42 PM   
Ibetian

Unless I go nuts and grab a corkscrew in the next 80 minutes, my wife and I will have navigated Dry January successfully!

We are happy with the results. We are both at our lowest weight in decades. No one is going to recruit us for magazine covers, but there’s no health reason to lose more from here. We feel good, sharp and fit.

So, fellow pilgrims, did you saddle up and ride through the valley of temptation?

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 77
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/31/2024 7:58:27 PM   
KPB

Congratulations! For me, Saturday seems to be my first non-DJ day.

Ken Birman

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 78
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/1/2024 6:43:43 AM   
WineGuyCO

Dry January is done. Combined with my Keto diet I’ve lost 11 pounds so going in the right direction down to 212 lbs. Will continue the Keto until 3/1 and see where it goes. I told my wife no drinking Monday through Thursday and that will help too. Going to celebrate with a 10 Year Old Whistle Pig Manhattan tonight !!!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 79
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/1/2024 1:03:59 PM   
sastewart

Congratulations to those of you who made it!

I for one tried to keep the community numbers up in your absence.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 80
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/1/2024 3:30:59 PM   
WineGuyCO

End of Dry January...

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 81
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/1/2024 3:52:11 PM   
Ibetian

I decided to do one day of DJ OT to support my wife, who won’t start vino until Saturday. But I’ll drink tomorrow. I don’t want to set the good husband bar too high for myself…😉

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 82
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/2/2024 4:21:30 AM   
khmark7

My and coworker have been trying the dry January for soda....no Coke, Pepsi, Fanta etc....all the crappy high sugar drinks. I started a little late so it won't be a month until another week or so but trying to drink more tea & coffee at work mid day instead of drinking.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 83
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/2/2024 9:59:21 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

My and coworker have been trying the dry January for soda....no Coke, Pepsi, Fanta etc....all the crappy high sugar drinks.

I realized when I was back in the ad agency world in the 1980s, that I was having at least a couple sodas (usually Coca-Cola) every day. I decided that that was too much sugar on a daily basis. So I cut back to nothing with added sugar during the weekdays, but I could have whatever I wanted over the weekends. That eliminated almost all intake of sodas. It's gone to about 3-5 sodas per year now.

Been doing this since 1984 and still at it.*

*I do make an exception for my spouse & my birthday, Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas. Not much else.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 84
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/2/2024 11:38:35 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

My and coworker have been trying the dry January for soda....no Coke, Pepsi, Fanta etc....all the crappy high sugar drinks.

I realized when I was back in the ad agency world in the 1980s, that I was having at least a couple sodas (usually Coca-Cola) every day. I decided that that was too much sugar on a daily basis. So I cut back to nothing with added sugar during the weekdays, but I could have whatever I wanted over the weekends. That eliminated almost all intake of sodas. It's gone to about 3-5 sodas per year now.

Been doing this since 1984 and still at it.*

*I do make an exception for my spouse & my birthday, Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas. Not much else.

I stopped drinking soda all the way back in high school; if I drank them before running, I would get stomach cramps. Now, they taste like syrup to me, just sickeningly sweet. Once in a blue moon I'll have a root beer or ginger ale, but typically the closest thing I get to having a soda is a Gin & Tonic!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 85
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/2/2024 12:04:24 PM   
haggis

You replied to "Ibetian," but it was I who posted the embolism topic. Yes, what you said is what I've been told. My PCP now says no more than 2 glasses of wine per day. I don't know how a "glass" is defined, but FDA I believe says 5oz. I've already exceeded that! (but not by much)

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 86
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/2/2024 1:22:18 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: haggis

You replied to "Ibetian," but it was I who posted the embolism topic. Yes, what you said is what I've been told. My PCP now says no more than 2 glasses of wine per day. I don't know how a "glass" is defined, but FDA I believe says 5oz. I've already exceeded that! (but not by much)

In Australia, given how many of their wines have "higher" ABVs, their bottles typically read that there are 8 drinks in one bottle. Don't know if that's a reg or not, so if you really wanted to be compliant there's probably some type of 'ounces of ABV' nuance to consider. However, if your PCP says 2 glasses I think I'd run with that.

On a different note, given medical recommendations due to physiological differences between men and woman, I've been trying to get my wife to follow the rule that 2 drinks for a man is actually equal to 1 drink for a woman figuring that I'll get more of the bottle that way! So far, she's unfortunately ignored this medical advice.

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to haggis)
Post #: 87
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/2/2024 6:15:19 PM   
KPB

Sorry, haggis!

Ken Birman

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 88
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/4/2024 10:00:06 AM   
mutwonmax

My dry January is over as of today. (I had to do a little overtime due to weightloss ambitions).

While I was slightly astonished about how little I missed drinking during the last month it struck me how much I enjoyed looking and ordering wine in that time...:-)

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 89
RE: Dry January 2024 - 2/7/2024 4:10:29 PM   
KPB

Well, my dry January is over, but my sense of smell is still a mess. Fortunately things taste right, and smell kind of normal, but in a very faint way — not a moment to write wine reviews or open good bottles. I guess it will be a mostly dry February, too!

Ken Birman

(in reply to mutwonmax)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Dry January 2024 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI