CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/25/2010 8:06:48 AM   
rbazinet

quote:

ORIGINAL: mj

There's one answer for steaks:  http://www.bryansfinefoods.com/  Check out the rib cap for an AWESOME value!  -mJ

mj, we are going to disagree here a bit.
Your place is essentially making my point. http://www.bryansfinefoods.com/category.php?cats_id=23
This is corn finished beef. Why? Because corn is cheap. I don't doubt this is a good steak, but it is homogeneous with the rest of the food supply. In my opinion there are better ways to finish beef if you want flavor (grass, apples, nuts etc …). Notice I said better, not cheaper.

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 91
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/25/2010 8:24:42 AM   
pbm

This may need it's own thread but now I'm interested in trying some grass-fed cow. Anyone know of a source in the Philly/Bucks County area?

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 92
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/25/2010 9:01:00 AM   
Bryan Collins

I've spent the last three months not working (which in itself has been lovely, watching our five-month-old become an eight-month-old), but I've just been offered a nice new contract so I think we'll open something good tonight to celebrate being able to afford to buy more wine! I think probably a Krug Grande Cuvée as an aperitif, and then a Vega Sicilia Unico Reserva Especial.

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 93
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/25/2010 9:02:12 AM   
Yossarian

You toe-rag Bryan - I hope it is not that 1970 Vega Sicilia I have been hoping to steal from your cellar?

Where is the new job?

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 94
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/25/2010 9:05:38 AM   
Bryan Collins

Not the 70, no, this is the multi-vintage blend. The contract is doubly good for not being in Swindon, although admittedly the location (north Surrey) isn't ideal.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 95
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/25/2010 9:07:30 AM   
Yossarian

North Surrey !!! You are stuck in the sticks like me.

Would that be a town like Guildford or somesuch location?

I guess you'll be staying over most nights then?

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 96
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/25/2010 9:20:16 AM   
Bryan Collins

Kingswood. And yes, I'll be staying over three nights a week. Plan is to work from home on Fridays.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 97
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/25/2010 11:32:35 AM   
mj

quote:

ORIGINAL: rbazinet

quote:

There's one answer for steaks:  http://www.bryansfinefoods.com/  Check out the rib cap for an AWESOME value!  -mJ

Your place is essentially making my point. http://www.bryansfinefoods.com/category.php?cats_id=23
This is corn finished beef. Why? Because corn is cheap. I don't doubt this is a good steak, but it is homogeneous with the rest of the food supply. In my opinion there are better ways to finish beef if you want flavor (grass, apples, nuts etc …). Notice I said better, not cheaper.

I see exactly what you are saying.  I however wasn't paying as much attention to the grass/corn than I was the steak issue as my mouth was salivating prior to lunch!  -mJ

BLOG: http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/njfoodies
TWITTER: njfoodies

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 98
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/29/2010 9:09:36 AM   
traderspartan

Its Friday again, so I thought I would bump this thread.  My wife is on call all weekend so I probably won't be drinking....

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 99
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/29/2010 9:42:34 AM   
Khamen

Over here in Europe it IS tonight so we're already a-slurpin'

K

(in reply to traderspartan)
Post #: 100
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/29/2010 3:48:37 PM   
GalvezGuy

Roast chicken tonight. Definitely a night for some Pinot......I think I hear Windy Oaks calling my name.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 101
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/29/2010 3:57:07 PM   
bretrooks

Tonight we'll probably just finish off the 2006 Field Stone Convivio we opened the other evening. Interesting blend, and a good QPR wine.

Tomorrow is a close friend's birthday, so I'll have to pick out something delicious and red to go with Italian food.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 102
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/29/2010 6:48:51 PM   
cgrimes

After fracturing my humerus yesterday--scotch

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 103
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/29/2010 7:18:56 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: cgrimes

Is that the funny bone?

Sorry to hear that Craig, feel better.

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 104
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/30/2010 5:09:40 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: cgrimes

Craig,

What the hell happened.  Slip and Fall? Not your drinking arm?  Say it isn't so!

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 105
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/30/2010 8:32:16 AM   
cgrimes

thanks hollow and TWG,

I slipped on ice while feeding my goats Thurs AM before work.  I initially thought it was a dislocation (I've had those before) but it turns out it was a fracture way up near the shoulder.  Too bad my wife and I spent the first 15min tugging on my arm to "get it back in joint."

This is a real bummer--sling for 6 weeks.  I can't drive.  Painful too...
Craig

(in reply to TexasWineGeek)
Post #: 106
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/30/2010 8:38:56 AM   
pjaines

CG - how the hell do you open a bottle of wine?

Screw tops only for 6 weeks I guess?  Bottle between the knees and use your good arm?

Bad luck.  Still, at least you can subscribe yourself a shed load of top quality drugs.  Party time!!!

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 107
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/30/2010 3:04:27 PM   
GalvezGuy

quote:

quote:

Being a hick from the sticks, there is no better way to finish beef without spending a bloody fortune. It gets you that marbling that is so important. Also, corn feeding beef is not cheap, it is far less expensive to finish beef with alfalfa, clover, or many other hay (grass) products. Of course, it is all opinion, being from Iowa, and not being able to get local corn fed beef here it Texas definitely skews my opinion.

Back on topic, with leftover chicken and salad tonight, I will be drinking 2006 Pirie South Estelle, an interesting blend of riesling, gewürztraminer and pinot gris from Tasmania. I hope I like it because I bought two cases (at $4 per). It had decent CT notes so I took a chance. I figure this is the load it in the cooler and hop on the boat this summer wine.

< Message edited by GalvezGuy -- 1/30/2010 3:09:09 PM >

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 108
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/30/2010 6:42:39 PM   
rbazinet

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

quote:

quote:

Being a hick from the sticks, there is no better way to finish beef without spending a bloody fortune. It gets you that marbling that is so important. Also, corn feeding beef is not cheap, it is far less expensive to finish beef with alfalfa, clover, or many other hay (grass) products. Of course, it is all opinion, being from Iowa, and not being able to get local corn fed beef here it Texas definitely skews my opinion.

Back on topic, with leftover chicken and salad tonight, I will be drinking 2006 Pirie South Estelle, an interesting blend of riesling, gewürztraminer and pinot gris from Tasmania. I hope I like it because I bought two cases (at $4 per). It had decent CT notes so I took a chance. I figure this is the load it in the cooler and hop on the boat this summer wine.

I did say better, not cheaper. Mind you, depending on a few factors, grass is pretty cheap. All large scale Texas been is finished on corn – maybe that is what you said and I misunderstood. At the rate corn is subsidized, I would be amazed if any large scale operations didn’t finish beef on it. On a large scale it is likely the most subsidized crop in the world - partly why a soft drink with high fructose corn syrup can cost less than water.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 109
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/30/2010 8:21:46 PM   
GalvezGuy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I did say better, not cheaper. Mind you, depending on a few factors, grass is pretty cheap. All large scale Texas been is finished on corn – maybe that is what you said and I misunderstood. At the rate corn is subsidized, I would be amazed if any large scale operations didn’t finish beef on it. On a large scale it is likely the most subsidized crop in the world - partly why a soft drink with high fructose corn syrup can cost less than water.

Although corn has been highly subsidized in the past, that is not the case any more. A LOT of corn goes to inefficient ethanol production, which has kept prices artificially high, especially since the late 90's, and pretty much eliminated subsidies for corn. This has also created an artificial lack of supply for soybeans making prices for it high (being much more expensive to grow than corn). Anyhoo, I probably have some fact checking to do, because Iowa beef is corn fed from the time of weaning. I was unaware that Texas beef (which I assume was grass fed) was finished with corn because it does not have the same texture as Iowa beef.

BTW the Pirie South Estelle was very good.

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 110
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/31/2010 9:04:17 AM   
rbazinet

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Although corn has been highly subsidized in the past, that is not the case any more. A LOT of corn goes to inefficient ethanol production, which has kept prices artificially high, especially since the late 90's, and pretty much eliminated subsidies for corn. This has also created an artificial lack of supply for soybeans making prices for it high (being much more expensive to grow than corn). Anyhoo, I probably have some fact checking to do, because Iowa beef is corn fed from the time of weaning. I was unaware that Texas beef (which I assume was grass fed) was finished with corn because it does not have the same texture as Iowa beef.

BTW the Pirie South Estelle was very good.

I just double checked with my “source” who said that Texas beef is largely finished on corn. In Canada, we also, largely, start beef on grass, but then finish it on corn. A lot of people get the [false] perception that it is grass fed, because they see them in the pasture. If you find different information, let me know.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 111
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/31/2010 9:06:46 AM   
drycab

On topic....

Lots! going to a birthday party for a close friend. I feel a bad Monday coming!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 112
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 1/31/2010 9:06:47 AM   
Hawk

Plan to finish off about 1/2 bottle of a tremendous Barbaresco from last night:

1997 Sottimano, Barbaresco, Cotta

and a wee drop of port:

1980 Offley Boa Vista, Vintage Port

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 113
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 2/3/2010 10:21:26 AM   
pbm

I think this thread and my interest in posting on it is as good example of the disease we all share as anything. We now have the following threads:

1) I just bought...
2) I'm going to drink...
3) I just drank...

I guess this post covers the first two. Wandered through the local PA wine store during lunch and came across the 2006 Rosenblum England-Shaw Vineyard Syrah for $15. Immediately checked CT and found an 89 average in six notes and the following quote "Fantastic by itself in front of the fire on a cold snowy day." With snowstorm headed our way, how could I resist. Even better -- just found the best price on wine-searcher is more than twice as much.

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=663346

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to Hawk)
Post #: 114
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 2/3/2010 12:07:43 PM   
caeleric

2002 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Red Rock Terrace
2004 Viader
2004 Conn Creek Anthology

I'm having these with good friends who are kind enough to use their connections in the wine industry to set up tastings at these wineries for us on my wife's and my first ever trip to California wine country. We've never had these wines, so it will be a great learning experience!

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 115
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 2/5/2010 10:48:51 AM   
traderspartan

Osso Bucco and 2000 Rocche Dei Manzoni Barolo Big D'big

MMMMMMMM....mmmmmmmmmm

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 116
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 2/5/2010 11:15:26 AM   
mj

No idea tonight.  Meeting up with some friends from the eBob board, and they always bring something nice.  Thinking about doing an '05 Maybach blind, but might not go with the lighter fare at the restaurant we're going to.  Maybe a Kistler or an '05 Sea Smke pinot, but who knows.  Definitely want to bring a nice bottle, and then a fun bottle.  For the fun bottle, may do something from Stefania, or maybe an '03 Fiddlehead pinot 728, or '04 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel.  Choices choices...  -mJ

(in reply to traderspartan)
Post #: 117
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 2/5/2010 11:56:46 AM   
masi3v

mj we need to get together and drink some pinot!  The gov't kept you away from the Philly CT offline, but you are too close not to get together.  Maybe we could meet in New Hope and drag out pbm?  You seem to like the fruitier, younger pinot while I lean toward the earthier Burgundy style. 

As for tonight:

2000 Mumm DVX rose
1998 Heitz Bella Oaks

Great snowed in kinda wine.

“Je ne peux vivre sans Champagne, en cas de victoire, je le mérite ; en cas de défaite, j’en ai besoin.” -- Napoléon Bonaparte

Blog Link:The Drunken Cyclist

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 118
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 2/5/2010 12:06:29 PM   
mj

The gov't owns me....talk about a wasted weekend.  What a joke!  Wasn't nearly what it was supposed to be, and probably could have pulled off Saturday night, but would have gotten there very late....and had to be in on Sunday.  JOKE!

We got room for 2 tonight in Bordentown, NJ if you're interested! 

New Hope or Lambertville work with PBM.  We loved Manon a few weeks ago in Lambertville, and Hamilton Grille Room, No. 9, Cafe Galleria, or Rick's work as well.  Going to Tastebuds in a few weeks in New Hope to give that a whirl too.

As for pinot, for the most part we drink a lot of new world stuff because the more classic stuff is aging.  We do have some good Oregon in the cellar that I want to put some time on, so we do drink a lot of new world stuff.  Don't get me wrong, I love Burgundy, but as I've said before, I don't like gambling with $100 on a bottle that I might not like 10-15 years from now.  And yes, I know there are plenty of Burg's out there in the $20-$100 range that are plenty good...or at least that is what I keep hearing.  I still haven't found them yet.   And Beaujolais-Villages and Nov don't count!  ;-)  The cheaper ones anyway...  -mJ

(in reply to masi3v)
Post #: 119
RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? - 2/5/2010 1:17:57 PM   
ikkaariainen

'04 Selene cab for tonight - having dinner with a good wine and cigar buddy and spouses at Josh's downtown Hickory tonight, and oh yeah he also happens to be my favorite wine distributor including the source of most of my Dominus...

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Are You Going To Drink Tonight? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI