CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/1/2009 10:32:53 PM   
Wrighty

gbm - was going to drink the Glen Carlou last night at a friends but obviously couldn't. Opened the other two when I got home and had a small glass from each and the above was my initial reaction. No notes made and the bottles have stoppers in and will be tasted again tonight with roast beef. I'll make some notes then and try to explain why I think it's over-extracted - if it still is. Last night though it just felt like it had been forced/pushed/squeezed to get every last drop out of the grapes where-as the Entity was fresher/cleaner if that makes any sense.

Agree the Entity is on top and having read you TN on the Sequel, it was probably the iron which made me grimace!

Wrighty

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 121
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/2/2009 5:29:02 AM   
Wrighty

Just had a roast tenderloin, roast potatoes, roast pumpkin and garlic green beans with the Entity and Sequel. Both went well with the food and the Sequel seems somewhat tamed, still some of gbm's iron but I didn't grimace. The Entity had got some peppery spice to it. Went back to the Glen Carlou, still a corked nose but faded and not so noticeable on the palate - however it is somewhat..... odd. Need a little time with it before it goes down the sink for being corked/off.

The forum is dead at the moment (only me logged in), will pop in and out all night to see if anyone else joins before I collapse into bed.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 122
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/2/2009 9:22:33 AM   
jhannah27

Sitting at the dealer getting my car serviced, so I thought I would update.

St Cosme and the Sequel have been open since yesterday afternoon and should be ready to go at game time. Had a sip of each to make sure the bottles were OK, and everything looks (and tastes) good. I can see what gbm and Wrighty mean when they talk about the Sequel being extracted and "iron-ish.". Lots of ripe fruits, and I got a blood-like flavor, which I think is where they see iron. Nice underlying pepperiness, though, so it's seems well rounded to me.

I'm pretty familiar with the St Cosme now that I have had it a few times, and this bottled showed the typical bret at the pop, but that should be gone today and it should be showing more of a meatiness.

Can't wait for the event!

-- Jeremy

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 123
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/2/2009 9:32:08 AM   
Wrighty

The Sequel's improved and as much as I like the Entity, it's been a useful exercise in confirming why I've gone away from Syrah/ Shiraz. Still enjoy them but there's no anticipation of what's to come.

Wrighty

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 124
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/2/2009 9:33:28 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

Sitting at the dealer getting my car serviced, so I thought I would update.

St Cosme and the Sequel have been open since yesterday afternoon and should be ready to go at game time. Had a sip of each to make sure the bottles were OK, and everything looks (and tastes) good. I can see what gbm and Wrighty mean when they talk about the Sequel being extracted and "iron-ish.". Lots of ripe fruits, and I got a blood-like flavor, which I think is where they see iron. Nice underlying pepperiness, though, so it's seems well rounded to me.

I'm pretty familiar with the St Cosme now that I have had it a few times, and this bottled showed the typical bret at the pop, but that should be gone today and it should be showing more of a meatiness.

Can't wait for the event!

lookin' good, jeremy ... thanks for giving those plenty of air.  I gave the '05 Entity 2.5 hours of air last night, before pouring back into the bottle and recorking.  I'll aslo bring the '03 Waterford and another Syrah to throw into the blind lineup.  I'm looking forward to seein' everybody again and also meeting a few new faces!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 125
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/2/2009 10:07:15 AM   
J2K

I drank the 2006 John Duval Wines Shiraz Entity last night and added my tasting notes.

The 2005 Glen Carlou Syrah should be consumed sometime today.

Go Penguins!!!

< Message edited by J2K -- 5/2/2009 10:10:57 AM >

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 126
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/2/2009 1:19:35 PM   
Maestro

http://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=7473

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 127
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/3/2009 7:50:17 AM   
J2K

4th CT Worldwide Tasting Event----completed
http://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=7471

(in reply to Maestro)
Post #: 128
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/3/2009 8:45:44 AM   
Wrighty

Me too
Fourth virtual CT tasting

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 129
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/3/2009 1:47:56 PM   
NiklasW

Just tasted through my lone Montes Alpha. Hmm. Three days on an isolated island without wine put me in the mood for a taste. At first it tasted good, but then the sweetness started kicking in, and then it just degraded into a gloopy mess. 

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 130
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/3/2009 4:22:38 PM   
Maestro

After all that Syrah (particularly the Montes) I had to open a classy Barbaresco tonight to bring some order back to the universe...

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 131
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/3/2009 6:31:21 PM   
Paul S

Only had one wine - the Entity, and I thought it was excellent. Started out a little sweet and primary, but really got going after some time to breathe: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=487615

(in reply to Maestro)
Post #: 132
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/3/2009 7:35:04 PM   
gbm

Just about done....still have the Montes for later this week.    Not very excited about it - maybe I can find someone to share it with.

Anyway, here are my impressions so far - Virtual Community Tasting Event (VCTE) IV.  I have about half the St. Cosme left for tomorrow.  I will update my TN when I finish it if anything changes.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 133
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/4/2009 2:13:29 AM   
grafstrb

My notes are posted here: http://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=7504

Overall, I was most impressed with the Entity.  The Glen Carlou is not my style, and I was massively disappointed by the Sequel.  The Cosme is a totally different wine when it's given 24 hours instead of popping-and-pouring.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 134
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/4/2009 6:14:39 PM   
jhannah27

Here are my notes.  I seem to be in the minority a bit in finding the Sequel quite stunning.  This was my wine of the tasting.  Probably followed by the Entity (both 05 and 06) however, both showed so young, that I really didn't think that they put their best foot forward.

No scores on any of these as there was just so much wine and conversation, the notes I took are a bit brief.

http://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=7513

-- Jeremy

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 135
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/4/2009 7:40:07 PM   
grafstrb

Nice notes, Jeremy.  Thanks for posting.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 136
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/5/2009 8:44:47 AM   
brigcampbell

quote:

Here are my notes.  I seem to be in the minority a bit in finding the Sequel quite stunning.  This was my wine of the tasting.  Probably followed by the Entity (both 05 and 06) however, both showed so young, that I really didn't think that they put their best foot forward.

I agree with the Sequel, it was my favorite as well, Chris liked it too. The next morning I came down to the kitchen and a 1/3 bottle of Entity '06 was sitting on the counter. Chris said "they handed it to me as we left". Nice surprise.

< Message edited by brigcampbell -- 5/5/2009 8:45:26 AM >

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 137
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/5/2009 1:22:00 PM   
GalvezGuy

One of the things that I am noticing is that a lot of you are like me. You seem to be tired of over-extracted and over-oaked fruit bombs. I don't drink much New World Syrah any more because of a lot of it resembles Daisy de la Hoya, a hot mess.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to brigcampbell)
Post #: 138
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/5/2009 1:25:59 PM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: brigcampbell
I agree with the Sequel, it was my favorite as well, Chris liked it too. The next morning I came down to the kitchen and a 1/3 bottle of Entity '06 was sitting on the counter. Chris said "they handed it to me as we left". Nice surprise.

I forgot to mention the Guigal Crozes-Hermitage that you brought, Brig.  That was quite something as well.  No formal notes on that one, but I really enjoyed it.  What vintage was that again?

-- Jeremy

Post #: 139
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/5/2009 4:16:43 PM   
brigcampbell

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: brigcampbell

I forgot to mention the Guigal Crozes-Hermitage that you brought, Brig.  That was quite something as well.  No formal notes on that one, but I really enjoyed it.  What vintage was that again?

It was the '05, http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=474017

I *think* I purchased it at Total Wine but I'm not sure. I know it was ~$20.

First impressions after I pop n'poured was "these guys are going to think I'm bring garbage to the tasting" But it sat opened for a couple of hours and then you mentioned "Hey, that's a nice wine" I though you were just being politically correct and then I had another pour and you were right, it was a nice wine. Quite different for the other syrahs in the tasting, more mellow. I guess that's old world versus something like the Entity or Sequel.

I really learned alot, or maybe learned that there's lots more to learn. Ashley asked me "I'm struggling with #7 on the origins" I said "you mean like you're trying to figure out what country?" LOL

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 140
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/5/2009 8:12:03 PM   
Hollowine

Ok everyone, a few days late and several bottles short, but I thought I'd post my two cents worth anyway.

Since the weekend was in Walla Walla, and I only had the Saint-Cosme in Magnums and couldn't justify opening the Entity in the evenings when I'd be the only one drinking it, I went for just tasting the Long Shadows at the winery. I'm posting notes here as I just don't think they are good enough to post to CT due to a few factors; first, I couldn't get a wiff off the glass to save my life, not sure if it was the cheap perfume from all the trophy wives in attendance or the short pours in generic stems, but the nose wasn't working. Second, just didn't have the luxury of properly decanting and tasting, it was a private tasting event that was pop and pour for about 200 people. At least they were pouring the '05 and '06 Sequel so got a nice comparison.

'05 Sequel - Dark garnet, lots of dark cherry, rhubarb, hint of bitter cocoa. Acid seems a bit bright and there are medium, dusty tannins persist on finish, which lingers at 30 sec or so with ripe fruits and slight mineral aftertaste. (On reflection, I too was thinking 'Steel' which I think several of you picked up the Iron, I just penned it as mineral)

'06 Sequel - More a ruby garnet, black cherry, coffee, hint of cedar, bit of dark chocolate. Fruit leads on the finish with good balanced tannins and acid. Would expect this one not to age as well as 05.

I thought the '05 was pretty rough, at first I thought because it wasn't decanted, but many of you felt it as well. I think the '06 was the drinker now, I will be interested to my cellar '05s and see how they evolve.

Am currently in PA on business, and saw the Entity tonight so I picked it up. Again, significant handicap due to drinking from glass tumblers, but I did bottle air for about 2 hours.

'06 Entity Shiraz - Purple-garnet, nicely integrated Fruit-Acid-Tannin. Black raspberry, bacon fat, pepper, a bit of a kirsch cherry on the finish. (I have a couple at home, probably won't sit on these a long time as seemed to be drinking well now, but I have a habit of waiting and seeing, so curious to repeat these three in a year or two).

Posted these blind to many of your comments, will go back and see what you all had to say. I think the Entity showed best of the three I had, I wonder how much of it is that Duval is "comfortable" with fruit he probably knows intimately from years experience, and how much of it might be that he is consulting winemaker at LS, but in the end it is Gilles Nicault and others who do much of the work during harvest/crush? As a side note, when I was there visiting them during Crush in '07, I think Duval's son was helping with the Sequel, interesting to see where that may lead?...

Would really love to make it down to OC for the Poker and tasting someday, looks like I'm picking up some work in Burbank so maybe for VT V...

Post #: 141
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/5/2009 8:23:42 PM   
Hollowine

Read through the great job of note taking you all did, very cool to see some confirmations of my thoughts and others that made me rethink things. Will be curious to see if the Entity has some longevity as Jeremy said, and thought it interesting that my thoughts tended close to Brian's impressions.

BTW, I have the Saint Cosme and the '05 Sequel in 1.5L, maybe we can repeat as a group in a handful of years and see where they are at.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 142
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/6/2009 9:36:26 AM   
gbm

Finally popped the Montes Alpha last night and had it over several hours.  I will go back to it tonight to see if it has gone anywhere an then I'll write my final notes of the tasting. 

Briefly, I found it much less disagreeable than I expected.  It was very fruity (strawberries and red grapes) and floral on the nose, but simple.  Taste was the same - very simple.  Not bad, but not very interesting.  Smooth tannins, not highly acidic.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 143
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/6/2009 9:51:45 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Read through the great job of note taking you all did, very cool to see some confirmations of my thoughts and others that made me rethink things. Will be curious to see if the Entity has some longevity as Jeremy said, and thought it interesting that my thoughts tended close to Brian's impressions.

BTW, I have the Saint Cosme and the '05 Sequel in 1.5L, maybe we can repeat as a group in a handful of years and see where they are at.

Not sure about longevity, necessarily.  I just found it to be a little unsettled yet.  I thought it needs some time to integrate. 

-- Jeremy

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 144
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/6/2009 12:37:12 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Not sure about longevity, necessarily.  I just found it to be a little unsettled yet.  I thought it needs some time to integrate. 

I bet it's got an easy 7 more years in it ... probably 10-15 more, really

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 145
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/6/2009 6:34:52 PM   
Paul S

I think it will last for a long, long time yet. In fact, it may get positively Rhonish after 10 years or so. It's a beautiful wine.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 146
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/6/2009 6:47:03 PM   
Hollowine

Am drinking another glass on second night, sat un-refrigerated overnight with just cork in the bottle. A lot more complex, fruit has calmed considerably and am definitely picking up some of the Rhone-like tones I enjoy. Given the fruit bomb phase that passed a few years ago for me, I think I will sit on my couple for a few years and check back.

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 147
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/7/2009 9:42:30 PM   
gbm

Just a point of interest for those of you who hunt QPR.  Using the latest (I think) method in the QPR thread:

QPR=LN(EXP(Rating)/Price) + 2.7*TargetPrice/Price + (Rating/TargetRating-1)*10

and targets of $15 and 87 points:

Montes Syrah Alpha                 $20.20             87                    86.00
St Cosme Cotes du Rhone        $16.20             87                    86.71
Long Shadows Sequel              $50.00             91                    88.36
Waterford Shiraz                      $30.00             91                    89.41
John Duval Entity                      $42.39             92                    89.78

But my top QPR remains:

Domaine La Garrigue                $15.00             90                    90.34

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 148
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/8/2009 9:16:36 AM   
Wrighty

GBM - what about the Glen Carlou?

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 149
RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 - 5/8/2009 9:18:22 AM   
gbm

Couldn't find it, so I didn't drink it.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Wines for Virtual Tasting IV - May1-3 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI