Community Tasting Notes (18) Median Score: 89 points

• Bought on release from Chambers Street and cellared ever since. Been meaning to pull my 4 bottles from long term storage just to open and pour out given the frequency of bad bottles. Then I read Repoper's reviews and thought maybe there is a chance. Tonight expecting very little - I even pulled two bottles to open, almost brought all 4 bottles. Well, surprise, surprise, this is my kind of wine. And no rush to drink - it's only going to get better.

• Been drinking these slowly and they just keep getting better and better and thats why I'm so schocked as to all the flawed bottles. I have owned them all from release and have let them sleep without a disturbance. Never thought these as fragile. Tonight pop and pour tonight. Somehow it mixes the green veggies celery turnip root with crunchy cranberry sour black cherries aromas. Very dry and leathery and black pepper. Very long. Still very primary but the fruit is so alive and the acidity balances out the feel in the mouth. Coats the entire palate and nice long finish. IMHO this wine has years and years to go before it struts any secondry traits. I still have 6 that I will follow over the next several years. I love this producer and have a lot of '05 (36 bottles) of different vineyards that I have not even tried. If you like this style wine, which is singularly unique, the Brentons are way up on my list. This is the best bottle to date and they keep etting better.

• I am shocked to see so many flawed bottles. I am well thru my first case and just opened number 7 to decant for this afternoon and have never had one yet.
    My experiences with this wine which started in 2013 have been excellent. The wine is still very primary and has been drinking better and better as time passes. I do find that it is necessary to airate and decant for many hours 6 - 10.
    The nose thismorning was amazing. I could smell it the minute I poped the cork. Beautiful darl fruit and I did take a small taste, which was stellar. An perfect balance of fruit acid and tannin. It is still just enetering the early part of it drinking phase.
    I am looking forward to the balance of the Brenton '06's I have.
    11/27 We consumed it last night after a 10 hour airation and decant. It was amazing and in a really good place. This is exactly we buy and cellar these wines.
    Can't wait to break into my '05's

• My bottle was not seriously flawed, but there was just something not quite right with it, either, as it came across as dull and boring, which is rarely something said about the Bretons' wines. So, this is either a cranky adolescent phase or, as others have said, the closure.

• Fortunately, the last of these bottles in my cellar. Every one had that rubbery, vinyl character from these closures that made the wine absolutely undrinkable. If this were any other product at all besides wine, there would be a mandatory recall.

View From the Cellar

• By Chris Kissack
    July 2008, (See more on Winedoctor...) 16.5+ points

(Catherine & Pierre Breton Bourgueil Franc de Pied) Quite a lot of depth to the colour, here, plenty of pigment, and a very youthful purple tinge to the hue as well. The nose simply sings of the Loire, and of Bourgueil; there is a little vein of blueberry, and alongside that notes of blackcurrant leaf, tobacco and celery seed. The palate has a fine substance, showing flesh and body, but with a very light-filled, fresh, sappy and really rather juicy presence in the mouth. This persists, and covers the burgeoning seam of tannins that appears in the midpalate and which tries to dominate the finish rather well. This gives a lot of sweet and joyful pleasure now, but will certainly age nicely in the cellar. Very good indeed.

Rockss and Fruit

• By Lyle Fass
    10/7/2007, (See more on Rockss and Fruit...)

(Breton Bourgueil Franc de Pied) This is a lovely drink now. Earthy, herbal scents mix with black fruit on the somewhat unevolved nose. Juicy and primary with lovely concentration and a firm structure. I really like this and this is the best Breton wine I have tasted in a while.

NOTE: Some content is property of View From the Cellar and Winedoctor and Rockss and Fruit.