CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

How many glasses for you have?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How many glasses for you have? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How many glasses for you have? - 1/17/2009 6:47:16 AM   
Wrighty

I know we've touched on types of stemware but following on from the 'How many decanters' thread thought I'd ask how many glasses do you have.

I'm up to about 60 now, all Riedel. A mix of Sommelier (Bordeaux, Vintage Champagne and black tumblers), Vinum and O's. I use the vinums and O's on a regular basis and save the Sommeliers for good bottles and good guests.

Wrighty
Post #: 1
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/17/2009 7:03:33 AM   
GoodToGrape

Probably up to about 50 or 60 myself.  Only 4 Reidel's at the moment, and those are my "go to" glasses when it's just me and my wife.  When I have a bunch of folks over, I tend to go with tumblers so they can easily fit into the dishwasher.  I hand wash the good stuff, and I'm too lazy to hand wash 10 or 12 wine glasses.

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 2
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/17/2009 7:11:15 AM   
smahk

I also have about 60 - all riedel.  A mix of mostly red glasses, with champagne, chardonnay, brandy and dessert.  I hand wash for a large party, but just stick them in the dishwasher for the 2 of us.

I don't have pinot glasses - I just drink the pinot out of my reqular bordeaux glasses - do you think it matters?

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 3
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/17/2009 7:13:21 AM   
sossher

We probably have around the same number of Riedel glasses - most of them are the common Vinum glassware (inlcuding sets of Bordeaux, Pinot, Syrah, White wine (Chardonnay I think), 2 sets of Os - red & white).  We received a lot of these as wedding gifts..  I also have a small set of Riedel tasting glasses (which appear very cool, but are sadly underutilized) and a pair of Riedel Sommelier Bordeuax Grand Cru (which I love, but are extremely fragile).   In general, I don't use these sets nearly enough.

For everyday drinking we have a set Spiegelau Authentis, which look great, and are much more durable than my Riedels.  I finally swtiched to them after breaking too many of the Riedel Vinum bordeuax glasses, and have been very happy so far.

For me, drinking out of a quality, good sized glass makes a big difference - which probably explains why I struggle to enjoy wine on planes, when it is served in a glass the size of a thimble!  At some restaurants I'll politely ask for larger glasses when I bring good wine with me.

Steve

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 4
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/17/2009 7:21:58 AM   
mclancy10006

Not that many. (I live in Manhattan so cabinet space is a premium). 4 Riedel O's for Cabs. and then a whole bunch of sets of three of other random glass. Seem like we always break one glass from a new set of four.  Many 20 total glasses. (oh and a single decanter to be caught up to the other thread.)

-Mark

(in reply to sossher)
Post #: 5
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/17/2009 7:46:02 AM   
Wrighty

GTG - We don't have a dishwasher - no space so all are hand washed!
Samhk - I think it does make a difference. We didn't a tasting a few years ago with Vinum Pinot and Sommelier Pinots and the difference even then was huge - I went out and bought the pinot O's after that although would have loved to have gone for the Sommelier
mclancy10006 - I live in HK so space is also at a premium. I definitely have more than needed but would love the space to add more!

Must admit, I really enjoy a good glass. As a product designer it's a real piece of modernism: form follows function, so having a good glass with any wine makes a big difference for me.

I've also tried to make the subject make sense now!

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 6
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/17/2009 8:10:37 AM   
annerk

Probably around 100, a 50/50 mix of crystal and "Libby" type glass that I use for large parties where guests tend to leave things laying around and there are often children running around.  (I usually have at least one broken glass, often 3-4 at our parties, so having inexpensive stemware for our "Yellowtail Loving" friends makes sense.

No Riedel. (yet!)  I had asked for it for Christmas, then after we found out I'd be losing my job, Christmas got scaled WAY back.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 7
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/17/2009 11:58:33 AM   
Birch

I've got about 60-70 now as well.  About 1/3 of them are Riedel Vinum Bordeaux and Sauv Blanc and a couple champagne glasses.  The remaining are pretty cheap, 'everyday' type of glasses that I use for cheap wine or when we don't have guests. Then I've got two Eisch Bordeaux breathable glasses that I use when I don't have time to decant: http://www.eisch.de/eng/website/news/breathable_glass/index.php  They work surpisingly well; I've done several side-by-sides with them now.

< Message edited by Birch -- 1/17/2009 12:02:18 PM >

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 8
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/17/2009 1:12:31 PM   
loli

The glass does make a difference - mr. Riedel has it right.

We have Riedel Vinum:
12 x Bordeaux
12 x Riesling
2 x Port
2 x malt
8 x gognac
8 x martini

(...thanks to our wedding gift arrangements few years back...)

plus

12 x Iittala Aurora Champagne glass (Finnish production - absolutely gorgeous glasses, though not optimum shape for taste)

(in reply to Birch)
Post #: 9
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/17/2009 1:56:42 PM   
GalvezGuy

Reidel Vinum 5x Bordeaux
No Name 4x Burgundy (big ass glass with the flared top, a Riedel knockoff but they do quite well)
Riedel Vinum 4x Port
Riedel Vinum 4x Riesling
Several everyday stems for drinking with friends

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to loli)
Post #: 10
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/17/2009 2:10:07 PM   
tacman

Reidel vinum series ... nice stemware, not as $$ as the sommelier series:
18 bordeaux (+/-, as this is the one most likely to get used/broken)
12 each of burgundy and champagne
8 each of montrachet, syrah, and sangiovese (zin)

I do have a smattering of sommelier series and probably underuse them, as they are quite a bit more fragile.

The glasses do matter.  Georg Reidel used to attend the Santa Fe Wine & Chile Festival and do a tasting of average and excellent wine in cheap, decent, and Sommelier series glasses (for the price of admission, you got to keep the nice glasses) and it was amazing what a difference the glass makes.  Made a believer out of me.

TC

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 11
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/17/2009 4:45:25 PM   
wadcorp

A cheapie set of 18 large red glasses we scored at Costco.

8 regular size red glasses from Williams-Sonoma

8 regular white glasses from Williams-Sonoma

6 huge red glasses (these monsters can hold a half bottle without trying, though I never fill 'em that far) from Crate & Barrel

6 huge white glasses (hey, the Summers can get hot in Kansas City) from Crate & Barrel

8 port glasses from Williams-Sonoma

10 or so champaign flutes, almost all varied, though four are Waterford crystal

4 margarita glasses (hey, how did those get in there?)

< Message edited by wadcorp -- 1/21/2009 7:46:06 AM >

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 12
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/18/2009 6:25:10 AM   
gbm

Wow - lots of glasses out there.  I guess my collection reflects my drinking habits - solo, with the wife, or with close family or friends.

4 red & 6 white from Crate & Barrel - used to be 6 red.  3 slightly nicer white (used to be 4) probably from Dansk.  Somewhere we've got crystal wedding gift glasses - Rosenthal, I think, but I don't know how many or even where they are and given my history with the cheap glasses, why would I break out crystal.

For those of you with Riedel, how do you choose which style to buy?  They have a style for everything.  In some cases (see their Barolos, for example) the shape of the glass differs (Wine vs Overture styles in this case, among others).  At what point does it become overkill?

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 13
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/18/2009 7:05:38 AM   
pault

I am THE wine drinker in the house, so its limited,, cpl champagne glasses, my "used to be red wine" glasses are really chardonnay size, so they are my white wine glass.

For Christmas I bought these reidel overture  Magnums
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=194536

not bad  set of 4 for under $40.. I chose these vs, restaurant magnums that I could get because they fit in my cupboard and DW fine, where the others were too tall.. so far so good.. and I like them .

member #55326 , cellar ID=grngnt

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 14
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/18/2009 7:38:39 AM   
Ibetian

We have well over 100 glasses, mostly because I'm nuts about serving the proper stemware to guests, even at large (50+) parties. It's a lot to clean, but I think (probably the only one who thinks) that it makes the party a bit more special to serve good wines in good glasses. We use those "This wine is mine" tags, but still have to clean 80+ glasses sometimes, especially if folks want to try sparkling, white and red wines over the course of an evening. Fortunately, a few good friends usually stay later to help with the cleanup.

We have many Riedel and Spiegelau glasses, including some never-used Somms (got to make a point to use these with great wines in 2009), but over the past several years I've bought only Schott Zwiesel glasses, which are more durable. These shatter if you drop them on a tile floor, but usually do not break if the get knocked over on a counter. They are about the same shape and thinness of the Riedel, and just as elegant in my opinion.

< Message edited by Ibetian -- 1/18/2009 7:39:28 AM >

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 15
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/18/2009 9:05:09 AM   
bschwindtcoffee

I have about 30 from my wedding - traditional looking Lenox, clear crystal.   The heaviness is kind of cool.  I do have a few Reidels but they are from various tasting rooms.   Patty Green's sold us the Oregon Pinot glasses, reidel's restaurant versions for 8 bucks I think, so we bought a dozen.   I have about 15 champagne flutes, for my use about 8 too many, so I'm trying to store them other places besides kitchen.  I'd like to get some port glasses. If anyone has favorites they like, I'd love about them.

Cleaning is part of the routine by now.  While I try not to get dish soap inside the glass, I do use soap on the outside.  For those folks who think they don't need any soap and just rinse them, oil from hands, lip stick and food grease must take a lot of rinsing. (like impossible.)

< Message edited by bschwindtcoffee -- 1/18/2009 9:07:59 AM >

-Brandon

Finally a Junior Tracker-- been here since october of 2007.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 16
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/18/2009 9:48:28 AM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: bschwindtcoffee

Cleaning is part of the routine by now.  While I try not to get dish soap inside the glass, I do use soap on the outside.  For those folks who think they don't need any soap and just rinse them, oil from hands, lip stick and food grease must take a lot of rinsing. (like impossible.)

Agree ... mild soap and hot hot water.  Absolutely hand wash; my friends that use a dishwasher all have glasses that are stained.  Washing and polishing after a good party is the longest part of the clean-up.

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to bschwindtcoffee)
Post #: 17
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/18/2009 10:26:12 AM   
ikkaariainen

We have about 40 or so glasses, the single majority being the Riedel O styles, we really like those.

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 18
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/18/2009 11:33:17 AM   
ytsai

It sounds like the Riedel is the stemware of choice here. Can I assume that drinking the same wine from a Riedel really makes it taste better? I have seen some that costs $100+ a piece which is quite expensive...

Please convince me to spend...

(in reply to ikkaariainen)
Post #: 19
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/18/2009 11:45:10 AM   
tacman

The sommelier series are all hand-blown and can be $70+ per stem ... the vinum series (my preference) and others are machine-made and substantially less.
Haven't looked on line recently, but Brown Derby was always pretty inexpensive for Reidel and would be a good reference for pricing.

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 20
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/18/2009 4:16:29 PM   
khmark7

Lots of Riedel out there...
Myself I have a 6 piece set of Schott Zwiesel Burgundy, Cab & Champagne glasses.
For Riedel I have Chardonnary, Bordeaux, Syrah, Hennesey (sp) and Port glasses,
and some Spiegelau Burgundy glasses.
Been a long time since I broke anything but I usually just use the S-Z glasses because of their durability.
Also, I only hand wash my glasses....never use a dishwasher.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 21
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/19/2009 1:26:44 AM   
ROEL

I guess I'm around 100 as well. About half of that is Riedel Vinum and Vinum Extreme.

The other half is a mix of stemware from Harald Bremer in Germany and some others. http://www.bremerwein.de/artikelliste_glaeser.asp
Bremer's Barolo glass is very well balanced in the hand, has a fine rim and is an excellent value. It is one of my preferred everyday glasses for non-cabernet based reds. Unfortunately not all of his products are equally satisfying, the Spumante and Grappa glasses being too clumsy, and glass/stems are sometimes annoyingly thick.

An other favourite is the dry white glass from Eisch (ref. 514/2d). Extremely light and thin, it is also very well balanced, and a dream for dry rieslings and SB.

I always wash my glasses by hand, but drive my wife crazy by doing so only just before using them. This means some used glasses remain in the cabinet uncleaned, which doesn't really present very well, I have to admit. I just got tired of cleaning them twice because of the white "film" that develops on them if they're not used for a longer period of time.

By the way, I was thinking about buying some Eisch Breatheable glasses, because I often have limited time to decant. Anyone have any experience with those?

Roel

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 22
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/19/2009 1:55:53 AM   
NiklasW

Amazing numbers of glasses! I only have 5 red wine (no idea what brand, but they work well), 6 white wine, and 6 champagne glasses. I guess I'm like gbm, mainly drinking by myself or with a few friends. I've looked at Riedel several times in the store, but at 20 euros per glass, I've passed and put the bucks into a bottle of wine. Maybe I'll splurge and buy one Riedel for myself 

(in reply to ROEL)
Post #: 23
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/19/2009 5:15:22 AM   
Wrighty

Niklas - take the plunge, the $20 will repay you with every bottle where-as saving it and spending $20 extra on a single bottle while be a one off benefit.

Must admit, glad to see such large collections, thought I was a bit odd with so many but see I'm only your average glass collector.

Wrighty

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 24
RE: How many glasses do you have? - 1/19/2009 7:16:45 PM   
cgrimes

My favorite glasses these days are the Riedel Vinum Oregon Pinot Glasses.  Nice shape and work well with any Pinot (also white Burgs). 

(in reply to Wrighty)
Post #: 25
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/19/2009 8:23:45 PM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

Maybe I'll splurge and buy one Riedel for myself 

Too bad you and I are so far apart - we could probably share glasses and still have enough. 

Part of the reason I have never bought Riedel is the number of choices.  If I am going to buy one Riedel glass, which should it be? 

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 26
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 4:27:22 AM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm

quote:

Maybe I'll splurge and buy one Riedel for myself 

Too bad you and I are so far apart - we could probably share glasses and still have enough. 

Part of the reason I have never bought Riedel is the number of choices.  If I am going to buy one Riedel glass, which should it be? 

I would say to buy a couple of Bordeaux glasses ... particularly if you drink mostly red wine.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 27
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 4:31:20 AM   
NiklasW

The Bordeaux glasses are what I've been looking at. 2 for 40€, hmm.hmmm. hmmmm.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 28
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 5:28:10 AM   
cgrimes

quote:

The Bordeaux glasses are what I've been looking at. 2 for 40€, hmm.hmmm. hmmmm.

Niklas, just splurge and get them.  You will not regret it, I promise.  They will make your drinking experience that much more pleasurable.  Anyone who loves wine owes it to him/herself to have at least a few nice stemware.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 29
RE: How many glasses for you have? - 1/20/2009 5:28:45 AM   
J2K

only have10 various types of Schott Zweisel glasses after a recommendation from jhannah.I kept breaking my Riedels

Niklas,
     Look for the Schott Zweisel (Forte) glasses. They are excellent glasses made in all forms and sizes and are usually half the price of Riedel.

< Message edited by J2K -- 1/20/2009 5:30:05 AM >

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How many glasses for you have? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI