CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Wine glasses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine glasses Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wine glasses - 2/13/2013 12:56:43 PM   
ericindc

I was looking to get some new glasses, specifically a set for Burgundy and a set for heavier reds like Bordeaux, chateauneuf-du-pape and american cabs.

I know there have been tasting set up to review the various glasses. Anyone know where to find them or have personal recommendations?

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.
Post #: 1
RE: Wine glasses - 2/13/2013 4:08:39 PM   
FRM

Eric,

You could check out the two threads below. I have the Reidel Vinium Extreme series (pinot, cab, shiraz, dessert wine, and chards). Just splurged on a pair of Reidel XO Sommeliers (wish I could afford the whole slew of 'em).

http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=15903&mpage=1&key=

http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=31844&mpage=1&key=

< Message edited by FRM -- 2/13/2013 4:17:46 PM >

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 2
RE: Wine glasses - 2/13/2013 4:59:09 PM   
mtpisgah

Tonight after work I stopped by my local for a glass before going to a meeting. I had told my wife I wanted some new Pinot glasses so I picked up two sets of the Reidel Vinum Extreme. We already had a lower end Reidel Pinot and a Schott Zwiesel (someone took the other Reidel and left the Schott after a tasting at our house) that I liked, but I like the Vinum Extreme shape more. I can't wait to use them, maybe tomorrow.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to FRM)
Post #: 3
RE: Wine glasses - 2/13/2013 5:13:33 PM   
cjsavino

Have a set of the Vinum XL extreme Pinot and are one of my favorites for pinots as well as a number of Italians.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 4
RE: Wine glasses - 2/13/2013 7:18:23 PM   
mc2 wines

Sorry to change the topic a bit, but does anyone have a feel for which wines benefit the most from the truly customized glasses? Have heard Riesling is a completely different beast with the right glass.... other ones?

(in reply to cjsavino)
Post #: 5
RE: Wine glasses - 2/13/2013 8:16:32 PM   
dj_plusone

I've got the Riedel Vinum Burgundy and Bordeaux. I'm happy with them.

My Current Juice

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 6
RE: Wine glasses - 2/14/2013 12:55:39 AM   
Bryan Collins

Zalto Burgundy for red Burg, also excellent for nebbiolo. I love these glasses.

Schott Zwiesel Enoteca range for most other things. Hand-blown, equivalent to Riedel Sommeliers, but a fraction of the price (and much more sturdy.)

I stick with Sommeliers for Champagne, specifically the Vintage Champagne glass which has a fantastics shape - fluted, but wider than normal. Perfect. Not keen on the "regular" Sommelier Champagne glass.

They're underneath the house, where I do quite a bit of stowin'...

(in reply to dj_plusone)
Post #: 7
RE: Wine glasses - 2/14/2013 6:10:50 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

Sorry to change the topic a bit, but does anyone have a feel for which wines benefit the most from the truly customized glasses? Have heard Riesling is a completely different beast with the right glass.... other ones?

From my experience i think the Riedel Syrah glasses are outstanding for any Syrah or southern Rhone blends.
Same goes for the Sauvignon Blanc glasses, i use the Schott Zwiesel glass, and use them for any acidic whites.

Not clear what you would call "customized". 

I think that Pinot & Cab/Merlot do much better in the correct stemware.  I also use my Riedel Chardonnay stemware for Rosé. 

Does anyone have the Riesling stemware?  What is their opinion?

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 8
RE: Wine glasses - 2/14/2013 6:17:04 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

We don't have the Riesling stemware, but we have the Chablis and it is so similar in size and shape that we use them with Riesling.
It works for us.
On the upside (of using an 'improper varietal glass'), this was we can use one glass for two different wines.
My .02

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 9
RE: Wine glasses - 2/14/2013 1:31:07 PM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

We don't have the Riesling stemware, but we have the Chablis and it is so similar in size and shape that we use them with Riesling.
It works for us.
On the upside (of using an 'improper varietal glass'), this was we can use one glass for two different wines.
My .02

Thanks for all of the thoughts! With the moratorium I suspect money that used to go to wine might go to some wine-related things in the interim.... We have Cab/Bourdeaux and Pinot/Burgundy specific glasses, but on the white side just have 'white' and haven't yet invested in the Port particular ones (although having grabbed a few Taylors before we started the moratorium that might also be on the docket).... Have had a hard time finding Riesling specific glasses although I swear they were a thing on a post about 6 months back...

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 10
RE: Wine glasses - 2/14/2013 1:46:54 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

Sweet wines.

Second place goes to Pinot Noir.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 11
RE: Wine glasses - 2/14/2013 3:49:41 PM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

quote:

Sweet wines.

Agree completely ... nothing like a nice Yquem from a Reidel Sauterne glass!!

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 12
RE: Wine glasses - 2/14/2013 5:34:13 PM   
pdhall

Big big fan of the Riedel Somm series. I learned early on not to try and wash anything after Id been drinking. Although the price is steep typically, Riedel does host tasting events where you can pick up a 3 glass set (Burg/Bord/Chablis) for $75. Grabbed 8 spots at the last one. Friends enjoyed themselves and I kept all the glasses Im a fan of young champagne in Burg stems.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 13
RE: Wine glasses - 2/14/2013 9:46:44 PM   
hellowine

What about Stolzle glasses? Eric and I were out tonight and Proof in DC serves on those. (had an ok Pessac-Leognan Haut Bailly (sp?) and a Minervois from Languedoc, but I forgot the maker) We noticed the base was thicker for restaurant heavy usage. Just curious since I'd never heard of these before and I've been other places that serve on finer stemware.

Main site (turn down volume. it has annoying video that automatically plays):
http://www.stolzle-usa.com/overview.php

Pricing:
http://anchorhocking.oneida.com/drink/stemware.html

< Message edited by hellowine -- 2/14/2013 9:52:50 PM >

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 14
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 12:23:30 AM   
gilrbo

Another vote for Zalto Burgundy. They're beautiful.

I recently did a comparison of three glasses with the same wine (a Sangiovese). The glasses were: Riedel Vinum Syrah, Zalto Burgundy and Zalto Universal.
The Riedel gave a good intensity and emphasized the power, but made the wine appear almost rustic.
The Zalto Universal emphasized more the airy notes and seemed to have taken away the weight and rusticity to the wine completely.
The Burgundy found the sweet spot between the two and really offered the most complete and balanced representation of the wine.
I am speaking about the impressions on the nose, of course.

(in reply to hellowine)
Post #: 15
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 5:04:44 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: gilrbo

Another vote for Zalto Burgundy. They're beautiful.

I recently did a comparison of three glasses with the same wine (a Sangiovese). The glasses were: Riedel Vinum Syrah, Zalto Burgundy and Zalto Universal.
The Riedel gave a good intensity and emphasized the power, but made the wine appear almost rustic.
The Zalto Universal emphasized more the airy notes and seemed to have taken away the weight and rusticity to the wine completely.
The Burgundy found the sweet spot between the two and really offered the most complete and balanced representation of the wine.
I am speaking about the impressions on the nose, of course.

Anyone know who retails Zalto stemware here in the USA?

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to gilrbo)
Post #: 16
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 5:22:16 AM   
mgriffith

A quick search turned up two options

WineEnthusiast

WineMonger

Both are mail order rather than brink and mortar though.

[PMSC - 133]

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 17
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 5:32:11 AM   
FRM

Had never heard of Zalto, but those are some very fine looking glasses.

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 18
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 9:54:58 AM   
ericindc

Wow, those Zalto glasses are spendy. Man, I was ok with spending like $25/glass, but I', not sure I would do 60/glass. Hellowine mentioned the Stolzle glasses that we used at Proof in DC. We only had the cab/bordeaux glass even though I was drinking Pinot and Schiava (they have some interesting and wierd stuff on the by-the-glass menu).

-Eric

(in reply to FRM)
Post #: 19
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 10:51:42 AM   
Ho Bryan

Another vote for Zalto.

I have the Bordeaux and Burgundy glasses, but unless it is a really top bottle, I mostly use the Universal glass, for just about everything.

They really are extraordinary to hold. The glass is exceptionally thin at the lip as well. A great experience.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 20
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 12:48:52 PM   
drycab

I vote for Ravenscroft. They're inexpensive, present really well, and do the same thing as every Riedel I've tasted them against.

< Message edited by drycab -- 2/15/2013 12:49:04 PM >

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to Ho Bryan)
Post #: 21
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 12:56:26 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

quote:

Sweet wines.

Agree completely ... nothing like a nice Yquem from a Reidel Sauterne glass!!

THIS!

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 22
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 2:02:14 PM   
hankj

Dredged up this old thread about the merits of using lots of different glassware - interesting discussion and some usernames that haven't been seen around here for a while!

https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=73303&mpage=1&key=one%2Cglass𑹗

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 23
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 2:42:50 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Dredged up this old thread about the merits of using lots of different glassware - interesting discussion and some usernames that haven't been seen around here for a while!

https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=73303&mpage=1&key=one%2Cglass𑹗

I still stand by everything I said in that thread.

Although, since then, I have decided to take a mini plunge with 2 of the Reidel Sauternes glasses (bought on my behalf by some friends who went to the Reidel factory --- they picked out some very nice seconds (can't even find the flaw in them, myself) -- I think they were approx. 35 euro or dollars apiece).

I still use those Reidel Ouverture red wine glasses for almost everything; in fact, I recently bought an 8-pack of the Reidel Ouverture XL red wine glasses for ~$90. Great deal, imo!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 24
RE: Wine glasses - 2/15/2013 3:08:56 PM   
S1

I have the Riedel Somm Rhones
There is a difference

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 25
RE: Wine glasses - 2/16/2013 5:52:02 AM   
gilrbo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ho Bryan

Another vote for Zalto.

I have the Bordeaux and Burgundy glasses, but unless it is a really top bottle, I mostly use the Universal glass, for just about everything.

They really are extraordinary to hold. The glass is exceptionally thin at the lip as well. A great experience.

HB: I am curious about how you use the Bordeaux and Burgundy glasses, and whether you indeed find each one better suited to the wines they are meant for.
I sort of decided I would use the Burgundy for all important reds and the universal for whites and lighter reds.

By the way, I loved drinking white Burgundy or other important whites in the Burgundy glass, so the above is no absolute rule...

(in reply to Ho Bryan)
Post #: 26
RE: Wine glasses - 2/16/2013 9:21:06 AM   
Ibetian

Thanks to you guys I ordered 2 each of Zalto bords, burgs and champagne. Not sure whether to thank or curse you...

(in reply to gilrbo)
Post #: 27
RE: Wine glasses - 2/16/2013 4:06:30 PM   
ericindc

found this. a vid of zalto vs riedel tasting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK-6NLvX4hA

and vaynerchuk's testing with Reidel wine glasses from a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=886KA1jLal4

< Message edited by ericindc -- 2/16/2013 4:08:24 PM >

-Eric

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 28
RE: Wine glasses - 2/17/2013 4:07:20 PM   
Jasonrgreen

For those of you longing for the Riedel Sommeliers.....my advice is forget it unless you have the hands of a surgeon. Was at William Sonoma today and they had 2 of the Sauternes Sommeliers on sale for $30 each. Have been wanting these for sometime. Came home and gently washed them, and sure enough one snapped as I was drying it. Believe me...I was being careful. The remaining one will now be put away and will be used on the day I open my one and only bottle of Yquem. I think I will switch to Schott Zwiesel, as I have heard that these are much more durable.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 29
RE: Wine glasses - 2/17/2013 4:13:10 PM   
jrockman

Well that sucks.

(in reply to Jasonrgreen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine glasses Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI