CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Favorite type of white?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite type of white? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

Favorite type of white?

Riesling
  22% (28)
Bordeaux Blanc (dry)
  4% (6)
Chardonnay
  17% (22)
Sauvignon Blanc
  9% (12)
CdP Blanc
  3% (4)
Marsanne/Rousanne/Viognier
  16% (20)
Tokay/Furmint
  2% (3)
Pinot Gris/Pinot Grigio
  4% (6)
Sauternes
  7% (9)
Champagne blends
  10% (13)

Total Votes : 123

(last vote on : 12/12/2013 9:55:05 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 7:09:01 PM   
khmark7

Curious where everyone's preference lies with white wines. I included what I thought would be some top choices, but the list could go on forever.

Please vote for your top 3!!!!

Mine, Bordeaux Blanc, Pinot Gris & Sauternes. If I had another choice it would be Pinot Blanc, and love Chenin Blanc as well.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb
Post #: 1
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 7:12:07 PM   
musedir

Chard, Sauvignon Blanc and Viognier... Of course, these belong to Dr. M.

For me Chard, Riesling and Chenin Blanc (I love Loire Valley wines)...

< Message edited by musedir -- 7/16/2013 3:05:16 AM >

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 7:16:43 PM   
pbilling

Love lightly oaked or unoaked chards, my current favorite as a daily drinker is Concha y Toro Casa de Marquesa Chard, good Bordeaux Blancs and Pinot Gris round it out, I find most of the Pinot Grigio to thin for my taste.

The secret to enjoying a good wine.
1. Open the bottle and allow to breathe
2. If it doesn't look like it's breathing, give it mouth to mouth.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 3
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 7:23:44 PM   
wineismylife

Yes.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to pbilling)
Post #: 4
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 7:26:32 PM   
dsGris

I will vote Pinot Gris for my wife, Riesling for myself and Rhone whites as a compromise.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 5
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 7:34:11 PM   
schwank

I voted Riesling but my second place white is not on the list... Chenin Blanc. Then would come the Rhone varietals. Then probably Gris, Champagne blends, and then Chard.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 6
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 7:48:20 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Rhones.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 7
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 8:39:44 PM   
f22nickell

Chenin Blanc ... Not on the list.

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 8
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 10:15:27 PM   
champagneinhand

I couldn't vote for just 3, and some are so much part of where they are made and how the are made.

Chardonnay really limited to Burgundy or BdB champagne. Chard from cA is generally horrible, but much of that is the over oaking and the clone. some from WA, NY are okay. The dessert version is bad.

Riesling, best in Germany, but so many different styles, NY, WA, Alsace and Austria seem to have really good Riesling too. The sweet , sweeter and sweetest, are so totally different from the dry GG or American versions.

Champagne blends, from Champagne....been very disappointed this week from CA versions, as they don't seem to age the same way. OR a touch better, and NY has big possibilities. Must have mineral.

Sauternes and Tokaji are both stellar, when in their dessert form. Sauternes is Bdx Blanc in its dry form and very nice as well. Tokaji, can be a blend of Furmint, Harvesulu, and Muscat or PG.

I love the inexpensive blend of blanc CdR. The heavy percentage of Viognier is great when blended with some Marsanne, Rousanne, a touch of Clairette and Cinsault. I've been disappointed by pure Viognier, but pleased by Rousanne from CdP and some WA seem decent. Marsanne and Rousanne can make great dessert wines, see SQN.

Pinot Gris from Alsace are tremendous, especially when done in VT, SGN and SGN trie speciale

Chenin Blanc was not on the poll, but can be tremendous in dry, Sec or Dessert version, but usually limited to the Loire Valley.

Muscat can be spot on when appropriate whether sweet semi-dry or dessert wines. Vin du Constance is a great dessert wine.

Greece makes some great white, especially from Santorini! I think you are missing so many varietals. Albinaro, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Noir Blanc. I have had great versions of all listed and some horrible piss versions, especially Italian Pinot Grigio.

In serious dessert form German TBA, Tokaji Essenczia, PG SGN trie Speciale, and Chenin Blanc really are more like amazing grape based elixirs. The only desert wines that I haven't been very impressed with was a Chilean version of chardonnay and it wasn't bad, just not stellar. Vidal Blanc and Cab Franc blanc fall into that category as well.

Not that I'm a fan of these but, Gerwurztraminer and Triaminette could be included as well as blends of Riesling and Svetlener make a good Alsace wine.

If the question was rephrased in white dessert wines, dry wines or off-dry/semi dry or sec, could make the poll numbers much more informational. Please excuse varietal spelling errors.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 9
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 10:23:25 PM   
fanglangzhe

I'm surprised there aren't more posts in favor of riesling as i've heard many red wine drinkers say the only white wine they drink is riesling.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 10
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/15/2013 10:37:53 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: fanglangzhe

I'm surprised there aren't more posts in favor of riesling as i've heard many red wine drinkers say the only white wine they drink is riesling.

We are expanding our horizons. Riesling is still up there, but the category is too broad. Riesling is the dominant white in my cellar.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to fanglangzhe)
Post #: 11
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 12:39:55 AM   
dsGris

I started out on Riesling, and then went on to the harder stuff!

< Message edited by dsGris -- 7/16/2013 12:40:20 AM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 12
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 12:49:21 AM   
Yossarian

Chardonnay ....because it gives wonderful Burgs and Chablis.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 13
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 1:26:29 AM   
S1

Chard from Burgundy
Riesling from Germany, Austria, Alsace
the conspicuously absent Chenin from Loire
I would love to see Austrian Grüner on the list as well

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 14
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 1:35:56 AM   
MindMuse

Um, see above?

Riesling, Chard, Chenin...

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 15
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 4:23:55 AM   
wadcorp

I don't see gin, the other white wine.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 16
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 5:12:24 AM   
mc2 wines

We're still getting into whites - more like baby steps. I think right now I'd say:

Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Sauternes

but definitely wouldn't proclaim having any sortof developed palate on these. We only drink white when it's just too hot to do red or when we want a sweeter end to the night.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 17
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 9:50:57 AM   
cookiefiend

Chardonnay, Champagne blends, Riesling

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 18
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 10:07:31 AM   
fingers

Favorite type: dry

Favorite varietals: Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay in that order. Riesling would likely move into the top 3 if I ever have that "WOW/AHA" moment with it and I just haven't, yet.

Also love a good Marsanne and several Italian white grapes (Verdicchio rocks!)

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 19
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 10:08:39 AM   
grafstrb

Accidentally voted only for my favorite: Riesling.

2nd and 3rd for this poll would be the Marsanne/Roussanne/Viognier and Sauv. Blanc options (although Sauternes probably should snag one of my votes, I find it hard to vote for a style that is strictly sweet).

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 20
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 11:27:51 AM   
hankj

I'm with Cookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

Chardonnay, Champagne blends, Riesling

loving Chard is a Freshman move, hating it is JV, loving it again is Varsity.

Post #: 21
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 11:34:22 AM   
wineismylife

I didn't vote. I refuse to vote just for three.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 22
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 11:43:46 AM   
mjobtx

Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc. But like wineismylife. three just doesn't cut it. Any well made white with the right food is a wonderment.

PlanoWino

Post #: 23
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 1:57:10 PM   
RobRah

This is more difficult once I started thinking about my answers.

For general enjoyment: good German or Alsace Riesling - just-off-dry to sweet. I can't afford wines of even vaguely approaching the quality from other grapes! I would have voted for Alsace Gewurztraminer if it were there. Occasionally I enjoy a Sauvignon blanc, if it is really zesty and fresh and *LIGHT*, and cold. I rather suspect I would also rather like some of the off-dry Chenin from the Loire. I've had some lovely muscats, dry and sweet. Again my requirement is to be fleet and racy and leave me refreshed and enlivened.

With fish and seafood I suddenly have very different and fairly consistent 'go-to's though...... Provence whites (what grapes are those? Bourboulenc? Clairette? Ugni blanc?), and the flinty Croatian Pošip.

For the "big and dry" white wines I only really enjoy them at a rather exulted level (I can recall vividly a few Burgundies from my past), and I tend not to shell out the prices when I think of the reds I could have instead :/

I keep a few good Sauternes though.

Does Sherry and Madeira count ;)

My CT Profile

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 24
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 3:13:50 PM   
GalvezGuy

+1
quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Yes.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

Post #: 25
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 3:16:10 PM   
GalvezGuy

Can't do just three, just like WIML, also Chenin Blanc is conspicuously absent.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 26
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 3:26:20 PM   
BornToRhone

I just can't pull myself together to vote until you remove the Pinot Grigio from the same selection as Pinot Gris!

Once that happens, then i will need to vote for about seven others as well. It might easier to mention that i'm not a fan of (pinot grigio), oaky chards, and many sauv. blancs.

I really love Alsace wines (all of them),good champagnes, lightly oaked chards (US, Chablis, Bourgogne), and German drier reislings.

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 27
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 5:38:22 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

I just can't pull myself together to vote until you remove the Pinot Grigio from the same selection as Pinot Gris!

Once that happens, then i will need to vote for about seven others as well. It might easier to mention that i'm not a fan of (pinot grigio), oaky chards, and many sauv. blancs.

I really love Alsace wines (all of them),good champagnes, lightly oaked chards (US, Chablis, Bourgogne), and German drier reislings.

Easy now, was just trying to broaden the options. I don't care for most Italian Pinot Grigio, but it is the same grape whatever you call it, and in the US most wineries call it Pinot Grigio, to my dismay.

Poll only allowed 10 options, but would have added Chenin Blanc, Pinot Blanc, Gruner V & Gewurtz. Always like to hear peoples favorites. Personally I enjoy all whites from the Loire, including that weird grape they make Muscadet with. Melon de Jaines??

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 28
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 6:15:43 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

Easy now, was just trying to broaden the options. I don't care for most Italian Pinot Grigio, but it is the same grape whatever you call it, and in the US most wineries call it Pinot Grigio, to my dismay.

Poll only allowed 10 options, but would have added Chenin Blanc, Pinot Blanc, Gruner V & Gewurtz. Always like to hear peoples favorites. Personally I enjoy all whites from the Loire, including that weird grape they make Muscadet with. Melon de Jaines??

If that was the criteria then you have to group Andre with the Champagne grapes and that just isn't fair.. Almost all Italian Pinot Grigio can be used to strip furniture almost as well as bourbon, but with the Lemon pledge smell remaining for quite a while. Seriously an abuse of a beautiful grape, that is quite a difficult grape to grow properly... I am experiencing this. The Alsace Pinot Gris SGN(Tokay) that are subject to botrytis are ethereal, especially with time. They can rival the best of Sauternes, German TBA and Tokaji, which is a very impressive group.

Pinot Grigio rivals are listed under furniture polish that can only be consumed ice cold, in order to strip your mouth of any leftover sauce. Fruilo makes some good white. Italian whites can be good, they just aren't focused on much.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 29
RE: Favorite type of white? - 7/16/2013 7:04:07 PM   
khmark7

I am guessing that nobody on this forum is drinking Andre Champagne, or whatever it is. Regardless of style Pinot Grigio is still made from Pinot Gris.

We are talking in a general sense here. I am very aware that Chardonnay or Riesling may be very different depending on style or place of origin.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite type of white? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI