CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Cayuse

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cayuse Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

Cayuse

1-3 years
  48% (48)
4-6 years
  21% (21)
Seems like forever
  31% (31)

Total Votes : 100

(last vote on : 10/24/2023 10:59:39 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cayuse - 5/7/2012 3:29:06 PM   
cancuk

I joined the list in 2011 (I think?) and got an allocation of cailloux 2009 right away. This year I'm getting Cailloux and Armada 2010's.

(in reply to copdyke)
Post #: 31
RE: Cayuse - 5/7/2012 3:47:21 PM   
S1

and a big welcome to the forum Kyle
(especially since you are hoarding Cayuse)

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to cancuk)
Post #: 32
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/8/2012 8:30:45 PM   
Vinsant

Hopefully the Frog represented WA state wines a little better then your previous experience with Mr C. Smith.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

I thought Cayuse was a scam run by Hollowine until I met the Bionic Frog himself last week at HdR ... now I'm stuck waiting indefinitely!

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 33
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/8/2012 9:05:18 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vinsant

Hopefully the Frog represented WA state wines a little better then your previous experience with Mr C. Smith.

quote:

I thought Cayuse was a scam run by Hollowine until I met the Bionic Frog himself last week at HdR ... now I'm stuck waiting indefinitely!

A bottle of the Bionic Frog went to Eric, who used it for infanticide at the SS/ Happy Hanukah exchange last year. Hopefully we will have triple digits for Grafs to coordinate this year. Hopefully he has yet to open his bottle of d'Yquem yet. I loved my Dosnon $ Lepage recolt de noir.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Vinsant)
Post #: 34
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/8/2012 9:37:43 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

quote:

quote:

A bottle of the Bionic Frog went to Eric, who used it for infanticide at the SS/ Happy Hanukah exchange last year. Hopefully we will have triple digits for Grafs to coordinate this year. Hopefully he has yet to open his bottle of d'Yquem yet. I loved my Dosnon $ Lepage recolt de noir.

It was actually a bottle of God Only Knows that Eric received this year as part of the SS/HH exchange. Santa/Hanukkah Harry isn't THAT generous!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 35
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/9/2012 4:45:14 AM   
tacman

quote:

quote:

In more ways than one!!

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to Vinsant)
Post #: 36
RE: Cayuse - 5/9/2012 6:24:52 AM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: cancuk

I joined the list in 2011 (I think?) and got an allocation of cailloux 2009 right away. This year I'm getting Cailloux and Armada 2010's.

whose palms did you grease to make that happen?! that's the first i've ever heard with that.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to cancuk)
Post #: 37
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/9/2012 8:17:02 AM   
nyindallas

While I have head this producer mentioned, I have never tasted it or seen it for sale.

Is it a religious expereinces? That and the Sine Qua Non. I am curious about why people are so obsessed on these wines. oticed a Sine Qua Non Syrah on eby with bidding at 475 for a single bottle.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 38
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/9/2012 8:20:11 AM   
GalvezGuy

I would not call Cayuse a religious experience, but....they make a very unique wine in a very unique style. After having Cayuse, you will recognize its profile instantly from then on. I think it is worth the money. I have not had enough SQN to determine value, but scarcity plus demand make it what it is.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to nyindallas)
Post #: 39
RE: Cayuse - 5/9/2012 8:49:45 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

I have yet to have a "come to Christophe" moment.  Granted my experience with Cayuse is extremely limited, a few samples here or there, and a bottle of rosé.   None of the Syrahs I've tried, and I don't even remember which they were (not Frog), did much for me different than hundreds of other wines I've had from Washington. 

I have sampled some other wines grown in the Rocks and have bought a few that were more assessable.  Reynvaan and Balboa are two that I have.  Another caveat for me, my wife doesn't really care for that style of wine, so when I open them it will likely be a drink alone or Offline opportunity,

As to the poll there wasn't a choice for "not on waiting list", so I didn't answer.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to cancuk)
Post #: 40
RE: Cayuse - 5/10/2012 5:41:39 AM   
powersaxo

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

quote:

whose palms did you grease to make that happen?! that's the first i've ever heard with that.

+1!

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 41
RE: Cayuse - 5/10/2012 6:50:59 AM   
ccotton8

Blurg, i'm going on 3 years on the list and NADA. I do get condolences from Cayuse at least twice a year but it feels like they are laughing at me.

(in reply to cancuk)
Post #: 42
RE: Cayuse - 5/11/2012 11:34:04 AM   
cancuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: powersaxo

quote:

quote:

+1!

I didn't do anything special, nor do I know anybody. I was given the "opportunity" of buying a 3 pack of Cailloux 2009 once I joined the mailing list (which was actually in December 2010.. the offer was even on the email that they sent me once I joined the mailing list). I then got the same allocation for the 2010 vintage and got the Armada through my "wish list" (where I also asked for every other syrah that they make).

P.S. If Cayuse is reading this, I'M NOT COMPLAINING AND THANK YOU!!!

(in reply to powersaxo)
Post #: 43
RE: Cayuse - 5/11/2012 12:11:19 PM   
ShawnM789

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: powersaxo

quote:

quote:

+1!

I didn't do anything special, nor do I know anybody. I was given the "opportunity" of buying a 3 pack of Cailloux 2009 once I joined the mailing list (which was actually in December 2010.. the offer was even on the email that they sent me once I joined the mailing list). I then got the same allocation for the 2010 vintage and got the Armada through my "wish list" (where I also asked for every other syrah that they make).

P.S. If Cayuse is reading this, I'M NOT COMPLAINING AND THANK YOU!!!

It's like winning the lottery, congrats!

(in reply to cancuk)
Post #: 44
RE: Cayuse - 5/11/2012 12:36:02 PM   
slaughterer

Bought a bottle of En Cerise 2007 at auction. Yippee!!

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 45
RE: Cayuse - 5/11/2012 8:12:31 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer

Bought a bottle of En Cerise 2007 at auction. Yippee!!

I just pulled one of those to open in the next few weeks...

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 46
RE: Cayuse - 7/26/2013 1:29:04 PM   
periko

I rescued this thread as it was the closest to I was looking for and didn't want to duplicate a thread.

After reading so many times about these Cayuse wines in this board, it piqued my curiosity and I had been looking and searching for it ever since... now I have been offered 2010 Cayuse Cailloux in Spain at, I believe, a good price. I am also waiting from the same source to be offered the 2010 Cayuse en Cerise, which is the one I was thinking of buying instead but this wine arrival has been delayed. As usual I start to regret it and now I wonder if in the maintime should I get also Cailloux.

As much as I have read tasting notes of these 2 wines, I can't really find remarkable differences between the wines. So my question is... is similar to the Cerise? should try both? or better wait on the Cerise?
Also, what about WA 2010 vintage? is it colder than 09?

EDIT: I know most will say get it, but these are no cheap wines and don't really want to throw all the cash in similar wines. I plan to get 2 bottles of each max.

< Message edited by periko -- 7/26/2013 1:36:55 PM >

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 47
RE: Cayuse - 7/26/2013 2:19:29 PM   
Stirling

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

My local bottle shop has managed to get the 06 and 08 vintages of the Cailloux Vineyard Syrah, and of course I have bought each. I am hoping this will continue for a few more years! Living in Canada, there is no point in joining lists as our ridiculous duty and importation laws have made it so that no one will ship to individuals.

Just a FYI: I also live in Vancouver and am on Cayuse's mailing list. I get a small allocation every year and bring it over the border because our ridiculous duty isn't actually as bad as you think for "expensive wine" when you are bringing it back for your own consumption.

While the duty is a crazy high percentage, there is a "maximum duty per .750ml" that very few people actually know about (including officers). That duty is $12.75/btl + 12% HST. So, if you are buying a bottle for $55 (cailloux), you are not going to pay the "123%" that everybody thinks, you are actually going to pay ($55 +12.75) * 1.12 = $69.28 - $55 = $14.28/btl. of duty.

As I said, even the officers don't know this and whenever you show up at the border with a case of wine they will say "do you know how much duty you are going to pay???" just smile and nod and have your receipts. They will put the prices into their computer and it will be as I've shown above.

That is really good to know as I am headed to Woodinville tomorrow! Thanks!

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to cancuk)
Post #: 48
RE: Cayuse - 7/26/2013 2:28:40 PM   
mye

my friends from vancouver (where i'm from) leave their wine in my cellar, and each time they come down, or i go up, 2 bottles gets brought over free of duty. :)
not the easiest, but since you don't drink these anytime soon after release anyways, it's the cheapest. :)

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 49
RE: Cayuse - 7/26/2013 2:30:34 PM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: periko

As much as I have read tasting notes of these 2 wines, I can't really find remarkable differences between the wines. So my question is... is similar to the Cerise? should try both? or better wait on the Cerise?

I would say depends on how much. We had a bottle at a NY offline a few weeks ago and I thought it was good, but not a full show stealer. Of course, I suspect many other Cayuses are more in demand and this does seem to be the entry bottle. So it if was reasonable, I would say go for it, but if you're looking at a big mark-up I might reconsider (unless it opens to the door to other Cayuse purchases as it seems to have for other folks).

(in reply to periko)
Post #: 50
RE: Cayuse - 7/26/2013 3:14:06 PM   
hankj

Been on the waiting list for two endless months. Totally paid my dues.

(in reply to cancuk)
Post #: 51
RE: Cayuse - 7/26/2013 5:41:19 PM   
kcbrian

I am about the one year mark. Only two-three more years!

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 52
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 7/26/2013 8:17:00 PM   
atkinson_b2

At 3 years just about now...one day...

WineBerg - CT
WB: Berg Atkinson

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 53
RE: Cayuse - 7/26/2013 9:00:28 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

I rescued this thread as it was the closest to I was looking for and didn't want to duplicate a thread.

After reading so many times about these Cayuse wines in this board, it piqued my curiosity and I had been looking and searching for it ever since... now I have been offered 2010 Cayuse Cailloux in Spain at, I believe, a good price. I am also waiting from the same source to be offered the 2010 Cayuse en Cerise, which is the one I was thinking of buying instead but this wine arrival has been delayed. As usual I start to regret it and now I wonder if in the maintime should I get also Cailloux.

EDIT: I know most will say get it, but these are no cheap wines and don't really want to throw all the cash in similar wines. I plan to get 2 bottles of each max.

Hi Jordi,

Very cool you could find these wines in Spain!

I think your thought process is generally correct, many people do put the En Cerise above the Cailloux, with the Cailloux being the wine many get as their first wine allocated when they join the list. I think they are both great wines, and all of the Cayuse Syrah's exhibit many of the similar characteristics/Funk that so many search them out for.

If it were in your budget I'd tell you to get both. But if you could only get one and both were definitely available I'd lean toward the En Cerise. It is a beautiful wine, I just shared an '06 with some CT friends in Indy a few weeks ago. I think the Cailloux is equally age worthy and very tasty, I've just always had a love of En Cerise and, more so, En Chamberlain and Armada.

Good luck with you transaction and do let us know if you enjoy it when you finally open your first one. I'd give it a minimum of 3 hours air if you open a 2010 this young...

(in reply to periko)
Post #: 54
RE: Cayuse - 7/27/2013 8:02:14 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Been on the waiting list for two endless months. Totally paid my dues.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 55
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 7/27/2013 10:24:45 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer

If you can find Cayuse that is not sold out, the retail price for where I live is equivalent to:

Guigal, Cote Rotie, La Turque
or
Domaine Perrot Minot, Charmes Chambertin, GC
I do not have any hope of finding better prices in my neck of the woods.
Cayuse took off like a rocket ship to planet high-end a while back.
I thought we were supposed to like Washington wines for their affordability?

That's stupid pricing. I would never buy Cayuse in such a situation.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 56
RE: Cayuse - 7/27/2013 10:25:37 AM   
grafstrb

I signed-up on 3/9/2009. Still waiting.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to copdyke)
Post #: 57
RE: Cayuse - 7/27/2013 12:01:27 PM   
periko

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

quote:

I would say depends on how much. We had a bottle at a NY offline a few weeks ago and I thought it was good, but not a full show stealer. Of course, I suspect many other Cayuses are more in demand and this does seem to be the entry bottle. So it if was reasonable, I would say go for it, but if you're looking at a big mark-up I might reconsider (unless it opens to the door to other Cayuse purchases as it seems to have for other folks).

I finally ordered just one, so maybe I will get the chance to compare both. The idea is having these bottles for offlines. Surprisingly for me, the "special" rate I have, has the Cayuse price increased 25%, so its not as a good price as I initially thought. Actually it's on the expensive side.

quote:

Hi Jordi,

Very cool you could find these wines in Spain!

I think your thought process is generally correct, many people do put the En Cerise above the Cailloux, with the Cailloux being the wine many get as their first wine allocated when they join the list. I think they are both great wines, and all of the Cayuse Syrah's exhibit many of the similar characteristics/Funk that so many search them out for.

If it were in your budget I'd tell you to get both. But if you could only get one and both were definitely available I'd lean toward the En Cerise. It is a beautiful wine, I just shared an '06 with some CT friends in Indy a few weeks ago. I think the Cailloux is equally age worthy and very tasty, I've just always had a love of En Cerise and, more so, En Chamberlain and Armada.

Good luck with you transaction and do let us know if you enjoy it when you finally open your first one. I'd give it a minimum of 3 hours air if you open a 2010 this young...

Yes, it was great to find out a large local retailer imports these wines. The prices are expensive but as much as in other euro countries where Cayuse can be purchased. Price rocketed from €68 to €85 ... and I found out when I ordered. I will have to ask why to this increase. That may me re-think about the other wines, but so far I reserved 2 en Cerise. We will see.
Well so far and thanks to this board I already have Andrew Will and Cayuse ... too bad I will have to wait a few years to try them!

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 58
RE: Cayuse - 1/5/2015 10:12:40 AM   
mc2 wines

Got the annual 'no wine for you' communication today. Anyone get on the list?

(in reply to periko)
Post #: 59
RE: Cayuse - 1/5/2015 10:22:31 AM   
atkinson_b2

Same email here...signed up mid-2010.

WineBerg - CT
WB: Berg Atkinson

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cayuse Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI