CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 6/28/2016 6:19:56 PM   
khmark7

Chris
Everything looks great. With the early veraison in the area, why would you thin the crop?? Especially on the Gewurztraminer i would hang the larger crop to help keep development and sugar levels down until later in the season when the weather cools, unless you want 14% alcohol white wines (yuk!). I have good development in my yard, but i will push off crop thinning until very late because otherwise the sugar levels will go through the roof during the warmer days of August.

Given your lack of trees do you have a bird problem?? My yard is angry birds attacking 24-7 come August....brutal.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 301
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 6/28/2016 8:43:24 PM   
dsGris

I just saw a vignette of OPB OR Field Guide episode of raptors patrolling the vineyards. Eyrie and Raptor Ridge are on the right track.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 302
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 6/29/2016 4:24:00 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

I just saw a vignette of OPB OR Field Guide episode of raptors patrolling the vineyards. Eyrie and Raptor Ridge are on the right track.

I could have the 1940 London air defense and still have bird damage in my yard.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 303
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 6/29/2016 8:41:30 AM   
dsGris

I recall on a visit some time ago to Ponzi, having observed their vineyard next to a large wood lot asking if they had a bird problem. Dick said they just give the birds the first three rows.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 304
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 6/29/2016 10:47:28 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Our area is naturally mostly sage dessert but there are some native evergreens, cottonwoods, etc... (Cowiche is said to mean footbridge between the desert and the mountains) and the orchards have thousands (millions?) of trees within a few mile radius of us, so the bird population is dense, particularly in whatever fruit crop is ripe at any particular time. Folks here use air cannons, scarecrows, netting, and all other manner of bird deterrent. It sounds like a war zone sometimes when the air cannons are in constant use across our little valley.

I've heard the "sacrifice a few rows" theory before, but birds don't know how to read the row markers, and in my case with only 43 rows exposed on a 4 sides, I'd be giving up a bunch of yield if I donated some intentionally for the birds. We do have a good raptor bird population too, hawks, eagles, owls all live here, but the magpies are too big and mean for even the largest raptor.

The more I look at whole field netting, that seems most efficient and cost effective. I need to price some wider nets, I think they told me 50 feet wide, maybe wider. But I might need 30 - 7 foot tall people to deploy them. We'll see.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 305
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 6/29/2016 12:13:39 PM   
recotte

Sorry, Chris, but a vision of you teetering about your vineyard on stilts, fighting with netting, gave me a bona fide "LOL" moment.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 306
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 6/30/2016 8:18:46 AM   
BRR

Do you have any, say, newphews that around around 12-16 years old? All I know is that I, at that age, with my air rifle...all I needed was a buck an animal (ground squirrels ("gravediggers" as my grandpa called them) were our issue, not as much bird), and I was a frequent, willing assistant on our ranch! Just sayin'...

Cheers!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 307
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 6/30/2016 8:35:52 PM   
dsGris

Gettin' a bit off track but when the leash law went into effect around here the squirrel population spiked. Now that we have coyotes visiting the neighborhood the squirrels seem to have taken a vacation.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 308
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/1/2016 8:07:16 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

Gettin' a bit off track but when the leash law went into effect around here the squirrel population spiked. Now that we have coyotes visiting the neighborhood the squirrels seem to have taken a vacation.

That's funny. Not too many years ago, at our prior house, the back door was glass and you could see directly through it into the back yard as soon as you came in the front door. I came home from work one afternoon to see my Springer Spaniel, Olive, looking quite proud of herself, clearly a bit more eager than usual to see me. Sure enough, as I got closer, there was a furry little (okay, surprisingly large) squirrel she had somehow captured. She didn't do anything to the body, just let it sitting right there next to her to show me how proud she was. I heaped praise.

Cheers!

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 309
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/10/2016 2:08:52 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Still Lactose Free Pinot Noir. Now with a side of eggs.

I count an even dozen. I'm pretty sure these belong to a Chukar. http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/chukar They are plentiful around here, and these will provide even more.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 310
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/10/2016 3:00:47 PM   
Eddie

Chris, I think those are California Quail eggs. Chukars don't like people, but Cal Quail do alright around us, in Pullman I saw them walking down the sidewalk.

Let us know if you get a picture of the hen on the nest.

Post #: 311
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/10/2016 3:28:33 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

Chris, I think those are California Quail eggs. Chukars don't like people, but Cal Quail do alright around us, in Pullman I saw them walking down the sidewalk.

Let us know if you get a picture of the hen on the nest.

Yes, you're probably right. The ground birds I see most often have that little head plume. I'll see if I can catch the hen in residence over the next couple of weeks.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 312
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/10/2016 6:49:57 PM   
khmark7

No veraison as of yet Chris? Bird netting will be going up here in a few weeks.

Post #: 313
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/10/2016 7:00:44 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

No. Most of my berries are still growing I think. I picked a few today and all are hard and very green. Our temp has been cooler for past week or so, only hit about 75 today with lots of wind, so the fast start we got in the spring has slowed down. This site tracks the AVA trends and shows that trend for the whole state. Hotter than hell in April/May. Big slow down in June.
http://wine.wsu.edu/research-extension/weather/growing-degree-days/ I'd like to track and calculate my own, but my weather station device was too rinky dink to do that. I might add a more real weather station, but oddly I don't think that will change the weather.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 7/10/2016 7:04:04 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 314
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/11/2016 5:02:03 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

No. Most of my berries are still growing I think. I picked a few today and all are hard and very green. Our temp has been cooler for past week or so, only hit about 75 today with lots of wind, so the fast start we got in the spring has slowed down. This site tracks the AVA trends and shows that trend for the whole state. Hotter than hell in April/May. Big slow down in June.
http://wine.wsu.edu/research-extension/weather/growing-degree-days/ I'd like to track and calculate my own, but my weather station device was too rinky dink to do that. I might add a more real weather station, but oddly I don't think that will change the weather.

Chris i think you might find that despite the normal variations in weather that your vines will go through veraison about the same time every year. Mine might start growing at different times, but almost always bloom and go through veraison at about the same times. Harvest is also very similar.

Post #: 315
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/11/2016 8:51:54 AM   
BRR

What a strange weather pattern the Yakima Valley is in right now! I was there last weekend for the 4th of July, and it was barely 80 degrees in Wapato on the 3rd! I remember how horribly hot it was last year at that same time! I'm sure it'll come back, but it sure was strange to be donning a sweatshirt in the evening in JULY!

Cheers!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 316
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/11/2016 12:38:39 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chris i think you might find that despite the normal variations in weather that your vines will go through veraison about the same time every year. Mine might start growing at different times, but almost always bloom and go through veraison at about the same times. Harvest is also very similar.

This thread is my best record of what's going on in the vineyard and I reported seeing veraison in my Pinot Noir about August 15 last year. I have two more work trips planned for July (and maybe more than that) so I'll target end of July/first of August for bird netting installation. Man, this summer is flying by.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 317
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/11/2016 5:54:10 PM   
khmark7

I double checked my records from last year and noticed many of my vines started veraison the last week in July, with my vinifera vines in early August. With that in mind i spent a few hours in my yard today cutting back extra growth and getting the vines in a shape that the bird netting will properly cover. You are fortunate that you have a crew.....i'm a one man crew

Post #: 318
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/27/2016 2:59:33 PM   
khmark7

How do the vines look Chris? I'm already seeing 90% of my vines undergoing veraison, so i expect yours are the same. Is the crew able to give you any rough estimates of anticipated harvest dates?

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 319
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/28/2016 8:58:29 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

How do the vines look Chris? I'm already seeing 90% of my vines undergoing veraison, so i expect yours are the same. Is the crew able to give you any rough estimates of anticipated harvest dates?

I took a stroll this morning. Veraison is just starting here, maybe 10% color in the Pinot Noir, and nothing in Syrah. Gewurz and Reisling are harder to detect, but I think I have some change just starting in both.

I did smell smoke this morning for the first time this year. From the looks of the horizon there must be some fires up Route 12 toward White Pass/Mt. Rainier. I haven't heard anything on the news, so they may be controlled burns by the forest service.

ETA: I was able to find a prescribed burn information site. https://fortress.wa.gov/dnr/protection/burnrequests/ Yes, they are intentionally burning 120 acres about 20 miles west of me on the mountain between Chinook and White passes. At least this tells me my nose and sense of direction are working right.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 7/28/2016 9:39:56 AM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 320
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/28/2016 6:33:30 PM   
khmark7

Chris, to clarify maybe 90% of my vines have started veraison, but the clusters are far from completely turning red/blue/black. Today i noticed that my Merlot vine was beginning to turn, and my 2nd yr Cabernet Sauvignon is maybe 50% through veraison.

Post #: 321
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/14/2016 11:34:23 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

A busy couple of weeks. We've got most of our nets on or ready to go on. Veraison is in full swing with Pinot Noir at about 60-70%, Syrah maybe 30-40%, Gewurz 60-70%, Riesling maybe 40-50%, Viognier hard to tell but good crop for 2 rows worth, Roussanne not enough to worry about, only 4-5 plants with fruit.

My oddest thing is my Riesling which is turning a medium purple color. Maybe it will fade but this is nothing like the Riesling I've picked before down in Prosser. Head scratcher at this point, but maybe this is normal...

Everything else looks like I expected...

Gewurztraminer

Pinot Noir

Syrah

A little kitchen Brix testing. Riesling 14.2, Gewurz 15.0, Pinot Noir 14.0, Syrah 15.5.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 322
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/14/2016 1:59:21 PM   
musedir

Chris- looking very good!

Barb, your kitchen is more versatile than Doc Victor's lab.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 323
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/14/2016 4:06:12 PM   
khmark7

Chris - keep in mind that even nurseries make mistakes. I have previously ordered from an outfit in Georgia that was supposed to have sent me a few Seyval Blanc, but instead i believe the grapes were actually deChaunac. It happens. Hopefully it's only a few vines, otherwise i would let them know so they can correct the mistake or refund you.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 324
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/15/2016 6:58:51 AM   
Sourdough

Hi Chris!

I am 100% on the labeling error. Those cannot be Riesling.

Agree with khm... If it is more than a few it should be addressed.

Anyone for a field blend?

Hang in there!
Jay

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 325
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/15/2016 5:52:34 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Well, all 300 vines in my Riesling block look the same. They have grown the same leaf color size shape etc.. for a year and a half now, and all the fruit now maturing is getting color. Here's another good looking cluster

I know I've seen Pinot Gris that looks this dark and today I visited Strand Vineyard which is about 2 miles west of me. This sign and this row of grapes looks pretty much same as mine (if a bit less clean if I don't mind saying so)

I've had Naches Heights Vineyard Strand Riesling and it is pale yellow and crystal clear. Based on this little research I think we just grow dark Riesling on Naches Heights. Maybe it's the dirt, or the clone, or the sun angle, or the wind, or all of the above. We might even have terroir.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 326
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/15/2016 8:31:54 PM   
fingers

quote:

"Maybe it's the dirt, or the clone, or the sun angle, or the wind, or all of the above. We might even have terroir."

That's going into the CT Book of Classic Quotes

Post #: 327
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/16/2016 4:16:34 AM   
khmark7

I would imagine Pinot Gris getting fairly dark, as my Frontenac Gris is a really pretty shade of purple and makes a tasty Rose around here.

Really noticing that my vinifera clusters refuse to go through veraison if they don't have any sun exposure....so some additional leaf pulling will commence this afternoon. Fun times.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 328
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/16/2016 4:18:26 AM   
khmark7

per Wikipedia

"Red Riesling. A very rare version of Riesling which has recently received more attention is Red Riesling (Roter Riesling). As the name suggests, this is a red-skinned clone of Riesling (a skin color commonly found for e.g. Gewürztraminer), but not a dark-skinned clone, i.e., it is still a white wine grape."

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 329
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/16/2016 7:15:41 AM   
Sourdough

Hi Chris!

I remain very skeptical that those are Riesling. I would suggest sending a photo to the nursery and ask them what they think it is! And possibly sending a sample to (I assume) WSU ag dept for help...

Very interesting!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI