CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/20/2020 5:19:09 PM   
penguinoid

Thanks for the update, and hope the wines turn out well this year!

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 601
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/20/2020 5:54:53 PM   
mclancy10006

Nice! Wishing you the best of success with the results!

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 602
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/20/2020 7:37:43 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

I remember that place! Nice pics and thanks for keeping us updated, Chris.
Please say hi to Barb

I’ll prolly want to try that Syrah, ahem..

+1

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 603
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/21/2020 4:34:04 AM   
musedir

That mountain boy is turning into the right good farmer, say what! And Mistress Barb as well as the trusty Chiva make life on Livengood such a treat!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 604
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/21/2020 8:16:07 AM   
BRR

Great update, CiC! Those Syrah grapes look great. No Sangio in 2020?

Cheers!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 605
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/21/2020 10:04:38 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

Great update, CiC! Those Syrah grapes look great. No Sangio in 2020?

Just the Rose. We still have two barrels plus a few carboys of 2018 Sangio, one has some 2017 topping it off, sitting in Barb's family room, so there is a backlog. Same with Syrah but we are drinking that faster.

We have been bottling over the last month to make room for this year's harvest and at last count there are 65 cases of wine, '17 and '18 vintage stacked in our family room, another 15 or so cases we bottled in flip tops for home use and re-use of bottles. The varieties bottled are mostly single variety, Syrah, Gewurz, Pinot, Sangio, but a few cases of a couple of Red blends to see how they work after some bottle time. I stopped logging in CT, but my home brew in bottle officially passed my official CT cellar total during this run.

Four barrels still full, but I'll empty one of those to re-fill with 2020 Syrah. Carboys flying everywhere and floor joists are being tested daily.

I checked on the 2020 Syrah this morning and foam and fermentation aromas are telling me it is cranking with just a little boost from a heater and a tarp. We have moved this year's fruit fly factory to an outbuilding which got almost ready for a true winery set up this spring/summer, so at least most of the mess and flies are away from the house. When I checked this morning there was a large/medium bird, a flicker I think, watching over the operation inside, so apparently my bird proofing needs some more improvement. I left the roll up door open today so he can move his whole family in.

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 10/21/2020 10:24:06 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 606
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/21/2020 11:04:21 AM   
Sourdough

Thanks for the update, Chris! Sad to have grapes unused. Sounds like youneed more friends to help you with the overload!

Post #: 607
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/21/2020 11:14:51 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sourdough

Thanks for the update, Chris! Sad to have grapes unused. Sounds like youneed more friends to help you with the overload!

I failed to mention, but we did have a couple of friends take us up on offer of free (for the picking) fruit. My winemaking mentor, Dr. John, has always taken a row of Syrah, and he did again this year along with batch of Sangio, he picked around Oct 1, and a neighbor that turned us onto the Syrah jelly also has shared with a couple of rounds of all he can take. A few other friends were offered and never made it out for whatever reason. This valley (meaning all of Yakima) is overwhelmed with fruit opportunity as it is, but we do share what we're able to without leaving much behind.

Our kids/grandkids are coming in a couple more weeks and I have visions of a few buckets of Gewürztraminer coming in at 35+ Brix assuming enough hang on post frost.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 608
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/21/2020 1:05:47 PM   
wadcorp

Way cool!

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 609
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/21/2020 1:45:56 PM   
Sourdough

Glad to hear the extras aren't all going to the birds! I started to ask (joke) about making icewine and it sounds like you might (sort of). I would try to help you with yout dilemmabut it is a darn long drive from Austin. The grapes would be fermented before I could get them home! :o)

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 610
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/22/2020 9:57:53 PM   
Rich64N

For WA, it looks like frost and snow early this year. Reminds me of 1994 when I was changing jobs and had a month off and went skiing in early November. I started at Stevens Pass, then Mt Baker, and finished with 3 days at Whistler (super cheap tickets and room, most of the employees were still in new hire training). Earliest openings ever. A room in Whistler Village next to the lift was CA$45 (US$35). I think that winter in WA also had a "Canadian Express" bout of severe cold weather that decimated vineyards,

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 611
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/3/2021 3:27:18 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Spring 2021 update. It is hard to believe we are on our 6th year...

Pruning has not yet started, and this year we are offering a BONUS! Anyone who prunes gets a free N-95 Mask, AND a bottle of wine, AND a jar of Syrah jelly! One bottle of wine for every row pruned!

After some angst about Gewurztraminer, I/we have decided it needed to be replaced. We have drank a grand total of about 3 bottles out of maybe 400 I have made over 4 vintages (didn't even pick any the past 2, so really 2 vintages, 17 and 18). Barb has reluctance to any white wine, but she does like it with seafood and likes to cook with it. We (mainly me) have thought about expanding Rhone whites, Riesling maybe (which was in the original plan), Chenin Blanc, others...

This week I made a late look at the available vines ready to plant this spring at Inland Desert, and made some quick choices based on what they actually have available right now! They did honor my credit from 2015 for the mis-labelled Riesling/Sangiovese (300 vines), so as of today I have on order...

200 Mourvedre
200 Alvarhino (albarino)

Both wines we enjoy, and the Mourvedre has always been a goal to blend with, play with on its own, rose, etc... I'm pretty stoked they had Mourvedre! so that bumped some potential white. But, our recent trip to the San Juans confirmed Albarino as a preferred white. We've had 4-5 examples from Yakima Valley and Naches Heights, (3 new to us on that trip) and the match with Puget Sound shellfish is great.

How I'll fit 400 new vines on the vineyard, with pulling out maybe 300, I haven't exactly figured out, and our vineyard may become even more of a random checkerboard, or expand a row or two, but I'm excited to fill it in, and grow more stuff.

We will for sure use hired crews that know what they are doing for the labor this spring, on replacement, training, and pruning, but the replacement vines won't be as big a task as the original planting for sure. (famous last words)

(in reply to Rich64N)
Post #: 612
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/3/2021 3:34:35 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Pruning has not yet started, and this year we are offering a BONUS! Anyone who prunes gets a free N-95 Mask, AND a bottle of wine, AND a jar of Syrah jelly! One bottle of wine for every row pruned!

Wish I was closer. It would be great to actually get hands-on, at least one time.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 613
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/3/2021 7:35:40 PM   
khmark7

Not sure how you do it Chris. My yard with it's 30 vines keeps me more than busy, although i must admit that a few of my vines are HUGE and are the equivalent of 10 vinifera vines.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 614
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/4/2021 12:24:54 AM   
grafstrb

Albarino can be fantastic, and even when it's only good or very good it can be perfect for a situation.

As for the Mourvedre ... that.is.awesome! Any thoughts on the style you envision for that one?

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 615
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/4/2021 4:23:48 AM   
musedir

Oh my farmer Cary! Oh my!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 616
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/4/2021 7:15:38 AM   
Sourdough

Chris! Your job seems to increasingly be a hobby! Wish I could help prune but the commute is impossible!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 617
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/4/2021 8:07:38 AM   
CranBurgundy

Goat's Rocks Syrah = yummy! The "distributor" is a good guy to work with too.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 618
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/4/2021 4:19:55 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Albarino can be fantastic, and even when it's only good or very good it can be perfect for a situation.

As for the Mourvedre ... that.is.awesome! Any thoughts on the style you envision for that one?

Given it's Washington i would think that getting the Mourvedre even moderately ripe would be a tough ask. As a blending grape it doesn't need to be perfectly ripe though.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 619
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/4/2021 4:32:19 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

Given it's Washington i would think that getting the Mourvedre even moderately ripe would be a tough ask. As a blending grape it doesn't need to be perfectly ripe though.

Some really nice 100% Mourvedre or mourvedre dominant blends available here - even a couple of rose - and it's arguably a rising star

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 620
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/5/2021 9:14:42 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

Some really nice 100% Mourvedre or mourvedre dominant blends available here - even a couple of rose - and it's arguably a rising star

To grafs original question.., I have no idea. I hadn't even really had any recent thoughts about how and where to grow Mourvedre on my place, much less what to do with the grapes. But I know my viticulture guy, Phil Cline, has been doing a lot of head trained stuff, and will be excited to try this with some Mourvedre on Naches Heights, he may already have some at Strand or Wilridge. I have a spot that can easily fit 100 vines at top of existing vineyard, so that is a likely adder. The other vines I'll probably replace 2.5 rows of Syrah that have struggled, they were a different clone than the majority of the Syrah which is thriving. Albarino will replace most of the gewurz, and I'll either leave a couple rows of gewurz or pull them and try to root some more viognier from my own cuttings.

On Washington as a site for Mourvedre, there have been small plots for at least 20 years, maybe longer, generally on hotter sites, Red Mountain, Wahluke Slope, but I know Boushey, Elephant Mountain, and Upland (I'm sure some others) grow mourvedre in Yakima Valley/Snipes Mountain/Rattlesnake Hills at 1200-1300 feet, cooler sites.

On mourvedre wines, I remember a business dinner in Portland in probably 2009, where I was the "wine guy" so picked from a wine list. I'm not sure exactly why, but I picked a McCrea Mourvedre, probably 2007 vintage or so, and the group of ~20 people, with about half as wine drinkers, ended up ordering 5-6 bottles, confirming my reputation as "the wine guy". McCrea was an early Rhone guy in Washington and may have produced some of first commercial mourvedre from here, vineyard sources were Boushey and Ceil du Cheval, Red Mountain.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 621
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/5/2021 1:02:22 PM   
grafstrb

Very cool. I love it!

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 622
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 2/6/2021 4:22:50 AM   
musedir

quote:

I have a spot that can easily fit 100 vines at top of existing vineyard, so that is a likely adder.

Chris, just have Chiva chase away the rattlesnakes and the knob is finally yours!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 623
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI