CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 6:09:33 AM   
musedir

This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in America now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That drank with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 151
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 6:26:24 AM   
BornToRhone

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime
And it continues...

I'm not sure it should be legal to drink this well

and 2 of each bottle (except the 95 Huet Cuvée Constance)

[spoiler]it was a mag[/spoiler]

I think I could get used to this!

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 152
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 6:39:16 AM   
S1

Bonus bubbly

BLACK GARLIC RISOTTO
Carolina Gold Rice, Duxelle of Crimini Mushrooms & Caramelized Onions, Crumbled Blue Cheese
1993 Robert Ampeau & Fils Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières x 2

SEARED NY FOIE GRAS
Sangria Apple Tart, Vanilla Cheddar Anglaise, Celery Greens, Pink Peppercorns
2008 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve x 2
2007 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape x 2

HIDDEN FJORD SALMON
Nueske’s Bacon, Fingerling Potato n’ Truffle Salad, Braised Spinach, Grain Mustard Hollandaise
2007 Oddero Barolo Riserva Vigna Rionda x 2
2007 Vietti Barolo Rocche x 2

BROKEN ARROW RANCH ANTELOPE
Juniper Brine, Anson Mills Grits, Mushroom & Chestnut Duxelle, Pomegranate Demi Glace
1993 Colgin Cabernet Sauvignon Herb Lamb x 2
1989 Château La Conseillante x 2

Fifth Course
GRANA PADANO PANNA COTTA
Honey Chestnut Butter, White Balsamic Poached Pear, Crispy Prosciutto
1995 Domaine Huet Vouvray Cuvée Constance [magnum]

missing pics of antelope and Vietti in case anyone wants to send them

< Message edited by S1 -- 9/30/2018 5:34:08 PM >

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 153
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 7:08:24 AM   
hankj

I'm curious about which wines underwhelmed and/or were not in mint condition (assuming not all were bought and stored by the owner on release). Or maybe everything was on the button?

That Cuvee Constance magnum is an interesting looking bottle - a bit of an unusual shape?

How was the '07 Clos du Papes coming along? I LOVE that label, but so far '07 Chateauneuf has been too big and tannic for my taste. Seems like a good vintage for Clos du Papes' house style though ....

And rehab or the gym for you all first thing Monday morning? ;). You've put in some yeoman's work this weekend!

< Message edited by hankj -- 9/30/2018 7:10:25 AM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 154
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 7:39:31 AM   
Redrunners

Scott

Thanks again for organizing the CT event, your incredible cooking and wine and southern hospitality. The cirque dinner was great, but not even in the same zip code as your cooking for Burgundy Thursday.

We really enjoyed meeting you, Pamela and Kyser and the rest of the CT group

If anyone makes it up to Connecticut (the other CT) or New Hampshire, would love to host and share some good food and wine

Looking forward to the next event and seeing everyone at future events

Stuck at the airport with delayed flight - should have stuck around for the Sunday blind tasting

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 155
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 7:53:49 AM   
S1

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 156
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 9:12:56 AM   
fingers

That dog drinks better than 99% of the general population

< Message edited by fingers -- 9/30/2018 9:13:15 AM >

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 157
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 9:24:01 AM   
Redrunners

Kyser drinks better than most people on CT...

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 158
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 4:27:38 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Redrunners

Kyser drinks better than most people on CT...

and right on cue...
Sunday afternoon blind tasting

1988 Château Mouton Rothschild

1994 Abreu Cabernet Sauvignon Madrona Ranch

2007 Colgin Cariad

2005 Alban Vineyards Syrah Lorraine

2001 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage

1947 Giacomo Borgogno & Figli Barolo Riserva

plus a bonus P Peters single vineyard and a Real Tempest

And there were leftovers to finish.
Many leftovers to finish...

Thanks to all the wonderful folks who traveled great distances to hang out with us this weekend. As great as the food and wine was, the company was much better.

In vino veritas
S1

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 159
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 6:32:40 PM   
mtpisgah

Lucky dog.

While I was less than a two hour drive away this weekend and would have loved to attend, we were celebrating my dad’s 80th bday. After dealing with my family and running out of wine, I wish I had just skipped out and run away to Chas.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 160
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 6:41:45 PM   
DoubleD1969

Lucky dog indeed!

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 161
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 9/30/2018 6:56:16 PM   
mc2 wines

Wow! What a weekend! HUGE thanks to Scott and Pam for making it all happening and herding the cats and to everyone for bringing such wonderful bottles of wine to share. There were a lot of favorites from the weekend. Fun to see old friends and meet some new. Overall, I think the best descriptor is spectacular.

< Message edited by mc2 wines -- 9/30/2018 7:04:33 PM >

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 162
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/1/2018 2:14:42 AM   
S1

As I ponder future events I would like to get input from the forum. I would like anyone who followed this thread to make suggestions, not only people who have attended. My brain likes to process the next event while a recent event is fresh in my memory so be honest and creative.

Schedule
How was the schedule (please chime in even if you did not attend but have suggestions)? Should there be an additional event, like a lunch on Saturday? If Kyser is with us another year, I like the idea of at least one event he can attend. He’s the happiest creature in the world at a party.

Numbers
How was the crowd? Should there be a cap on the number of people at each event (or at some events)? Should we have simultaneously occurring events with smaller groups (like at a food & wine festival), which could remove the 2x bottle requirement and/or change the price of the “buy in” for people who are interested in a QPR-themed event?

Time of Year
How about the calendar? While it usually not this oppressively hot in late Sep/early Oct, this weekend was a scorcher. Should we look at a different time of year, or later in Oct?

Lodging
Do you like making your own lodging arrangements? Do you want me to contact the owners of Charming Inns and see if they will give us package prices at Wentworth Mansion and Rutledge House Inn as well (same ownership as King’s Courtyard and Circa 1886)?

Restaurants
Would you like to add a different restaurant (or even simultaneous events) on Friday? Keep in mind that the James Beard Award places are not likely to give up a large space for an extended dinner unless we pay big bucks (I don’t think FIG even has a private room). I did not enjoy the noisy, crowded room at Hall’s Chophouse during Chas III, but I am open to ideas. We could look at places in East of the Cooper like Mt Pleasant or the beaches. Coda del Pesce at Isle of Palms and Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan’s Island are nice. Another option would be a Flannery Steak-Out at the clubhouse or even arrange a dinner at our country club. The food there is quite good.

Wine
Should there be a change in the pricing? Should we aim for themes? Would anyone like to suggest some themes?

Burgundy Thursday
I don’t think I have another 12-course dinner in me (on a school night). I don’t mind expanding the guest list, but then we are either looking at a restaurant or family style from disposable plates and utensils. We are also back to 2x per wine if we get many more attendees. I don’t mind cooking Bœuf Bourguignon or Coq au Vin for a crowd. My shrimp and grits is a source of pride—I get lots of repeat requests,. Our clubhouse would work for that but we think 10 people is the absolute maximum at Mason’s house next time. I don’t want to sit at the kiddie table next time.

I am really open to brainstorming suggestions. At some point this event may move to FL (or maybe one in Chas and one in FL each year…) Feel free to PM if you don’t want to reply in the open forum, but I would really like to generate some discussion.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 163
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/1/2018 6:11:32 AM   
Mason_h

First post!

It was great meeting everyone this weekend. Brittany and I feel lucky to have been included and had an absolute blast. Thanks for your generosity with the wines you shared and thanks to Scott for putting all this together!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 164
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/1/2018 6:55:02 AM   
nyccablover

What a terrific weekend of wine, food, new and old friends, laughter and the incomparable historic charm of Charleston! Many thanks to Scott and Pam for organizing the weekend and preparing such an amazing meal on Thursday night. Also a big thanks to Mason and Britney for hosting burg thurs dinner at their beautiful home. Finally we would like to thank all the CTers for sharing such wonderful wines all weekend. A great success and we look forward to the next one.

Scott to address your questions:
Schedule - just about right for us - loved having the daytime free to explore Charleston

Size - I think we had about 16 - 18 and I think that was a nice size.

Time of Year - October might be lovely if it was a bit cooler but we all managed to make it work:-)

Lodging - I think no need to worry about this - let people do their own thing and one less thing you have to plan.

Food - totally open here but love the idea of a Flannery Steak our session - yum!

Wine - the wine was great - if you wanted to change it up we could add some more focused themes, but don’t think it is necessary. Loved the bubbles session - so fun to try side by side

Burg Thurs - the meal was awesome, but so much work for you. Bœuf Bourguignon or Coq au Vin or Shrimp and Grits for a larger group would also be delicious if that was easier. You are truly a talented chef so the eating will be great whatever you decide.

Kudos, two thumbs up, 100 pts awarded to the Charleston offline. Paul and I had a blast!

< Message edited by nyccablover -- 10/1/2018 7:03:47 AM >

(in reply to Mason_h)
Post #: 165
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/1/2018 2:58:10 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

I don’t think I have another 12-course dinner in me (on a school night).

LOL Dude.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 166
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/1/2018 5:40:32 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

quote:

I don’t think I have another 12-course dinner in me (on a school night).

LOL Dude.

Well we just need to wait until you complete the threat of retiring then no more school nights to get in the way. :)

Sounds like an awesome event (no surprise there) and thanks for all of the pictures/posts to support the vicarious and jealous crowd like me. We will be in on the next one!

-Mark

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 167
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/1/2018 7:00:31 PM   
BornToRhone

Finally back home in the Big D. WOW - WHAT A WEEKEND!

From both SH and I - thank you, S1 and HRH, for all of your efforts which enabled this to be such a fantastic wine weekend! The food was just outstanding - I think someone needs to recommend S1 for a James Beard award! My favorite of BurgThurs was the sea scallop w/ 62 degree quail egg and caviar with a 1996 Salon champagne. I am getting goosebumps just remembering it! We also loved the Frogmore Stew on Friday. Yummo!

Thanks, Mason_H & Mrs Mason_H, for opening your beautiful home to a group of mostly unknown winos. I hope we were not too rough on it and things got back to normal quickly.

Lastly, we had sooo much fun at all the events, including the dinner Sunday night. There was never a dull moment, and the camaraderie was as great as the wines. Always nice to meet new folks, and it's even better when we are able to strengthen existing relationships.

S1 - I am not sure I would change much next time. Yes, the weather was a bit sticky, but I know I always tend to lose when playing the odds against Mother Nature. We loved everything else!

My WOTW was....??? Hmmm - I'll let you know at next year's event.

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 10/1/2018 7:02:15 PM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 168
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/2/2018 3:25:09 PM   
nyccablover

Posted a tasting story for anyone who is interested in reading about the wines and food we consumed:

https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=39788

Also mc2wines has posted a tasting story and her notes are always terrific:

https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=39761&searchId=B9F5E544&UISource=list

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 169
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/3/2018 7:37:18 AM   
PinotPhile

Thanks, will read and enjoy!

PP

(in reply to nyccablover)
Post #: 170
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/3/2018 12:34:18 PM   
BenG

quote:

As I ponder future events I would like to get input from the forum. I would like anyone who followed this thread to make suggestions, not only people who have attended. My brain likes to process the next event while a recent event is fresh in my memory so be honest and creative.

Schedule
How was the schedule (please chime in even if you did not attend but have suggestions)? Should there be an additional event, like a lunch on Saturday? If Kyser is with us another year, I like the idea of at least one event he can attend. He’s the happiest creature in the world at a party.

Numbers
How was the crowd? Should there be a cap on the number of people at each event (or at some events)? Should we have simultaneously occurring events with smaller groups (like at a food & wine festival), which could remove the 2x bottle requirement and/or change the price of the “buy in” for people who are interested in a QPR-themed event?

Time of Year
How about the calendar? While it usually not this oppressively hot in late Sep/early Oct, this weekend was a scorcher. Should we look at a different time of year, or later in Oct?

Lodging
Do you like making your own lodging arrangements? Do you want me to contact the owners of Charming Inns and see if they will give us package prices at Wentworth Mansion and Rutledge House Inn as well (same ownership as King’s Courtyard and Circa 1886)?

Restaurants
Would you like to add a different restaurant (or even simultaneous events) on Friday? Keep in mind that the James Beard Award places are not likely to give up a large space for an extended dinner unless we pay big bucks (I don’t think FIG even has a private room). I did not enjoy the noisy, crowded room at Hall’s Chophouse during Chas III, but I am open to ideas. We could look at places in East of the Cooper like Mt Pleasant or the beaches. Coda del Pesce at Isle of Palms and Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan’s Island are nice. Another option would be a Flannery Steak-Out at the clubhouse or even arrange a dinner at our country club. The food there is quite good.

Wine
Should there be a change in the pricing? Should we aim for themes? Would anyone like to suggest some themes?

Burgundy Thursday
I don’t think I have another 12-course dinner in me (on a school night). I don’t mind expanding the guest list, but then we are either looking at a restaurant or family style from disposable plates and utensils. We are also back to 2x per wine if we get many more attendees. I don’t mind cooking Bœuf Bourguignon or Coq au Vin for a crowd. My shrimp and grits is a source of pride—I get lots of repeat requests,. Our clubhouse would work for that but we think 10 people is the absolute maximum at Mason’s house next time. I don’t want to sit at the kiddie table next time.

I am really open to brainstorming suggestions. At some point this event may move to FL (or maybe one in Chas and one in FL each year…) Feel free to PM if you don’t want to reply in the open forum, but I would really like to generate some discussion.

I'd be interested at $50 a bottle. $100 is too steep for me.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 171
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/3/2018 1:16:31 PM   
musedir

As an alumni of the Charleston Wine fests, adding up the real costs of travel, lodging, meals and personal expenses, the actual costs of the wines are not as huge as they first sound. The benchmark of set bottle costs at least insures the effort has been made to provide high quality juice is brought to the table. IMHO.

Still the total cost for the weekend was too much for us in our current relocation/renovation expenses so we took a pass.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 172
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/3/2018 3:00:14 PM   
Redrunners

This was my first Charleston event, so have a total sample of one.

However, I thought the current format was great. Great food, great wine and great group of people.

I think the 3- 4 day format works great
Group size was about right for each event (although felt bad you worked so hard and made such wonderful food, and sat at the kids table....)
Time of year was good - after summer vacations and before Fall holiday season starts. Could also do the Spring (Florida?), but thought this time of year was nice
Lodging - agree that everyone should pick their own place - so that it doesn't create any more work for you. However, good if everyone shares their location for impromptu extra events (site seeing, meals, etc.)
Restaurants - good mix of homes and a restaurant. To save yourself some work, could we bring in a chef one night to someones home? Every night was great, including the more casual low country shrimp boil with barbecue and brisket.
Wine - liked the current format. Could possibly add an event focusing on favorite bottle under $50, or on a specific country or region (e.g. Italy, Washington, South Africa, etc.). A chance to try some nice wines from a region you may not have tried before.
Burgundy Thursday - this was perfect (other than needing a larger table for 12)

Thanks again - would definitely do this again
We could even do one of these up North if everyone wanted to try another location

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 173
RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) - 10/3/2018 7:42:55 PM   
BenG

Another theme for a meal might be wines from wineries with female chief winemakers. I recall a recent thread along these lines. I think it's exciting what female winemakers are achieving these days, which makes total sense since females on average have more receptive noses than men (I say this as an Aussie bloke).

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 174
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Charleston Offlineorama IV? (a trial balloon) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI