CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  43 44 45 [46] 47   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/16/2022 5:02:34 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Two years ago? Seriously?!?!

Thank dog there are Mega's with remembrance of threads long ago to represent...

NV Paul Bara Grand Cru Rose Champagne...

Started out planning to have a couple glasses while watching the sunset over the Pacific from Manzanita, OR. Grabbed some chicken fingers and fries (closest I could do to fried chicken). Got back to the house and realized I'd drank 5 glasses worth, so feck it, this baby is end of life...

great day working on the house...patched the roof where plumbers drilled a. vent and didn't flash it. Insulated and subflored the dining room and kitchen. Installed a tankless water heater with some complicated PVC venting and was able to fire it up and hav e hot water. Plus closed 5 contracts and two large software support payment s this week. Feeling good about life for a spell. Cheers!

Sounds like an excellent reason to drink an entire bottle Scott.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1351
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/16/2022 6:40:02 PM   
KPB

MindMuse, great post. Sounds like she would have enjoyed reading it!

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to JohnWino)
Post #: 1352
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/22/2022 9:31:29 PM   
markydecker

Just stumbled on this thread and love it! I confess there are very few people I will share my great wines with, and I am guilty of bogarting an entire bottle from time to time, but not usually in a single sitting. Will definitely go there very soon….

Cheers everyone and enjoy!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 1353
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/23/2022 9:53:21 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: markydecker

Just stumbled on this thread and love it! I confess there are very few people I will share my great wines with, and I am guilty of bogarting an entire bottle from time to time, but not usually in a single sitting. Will definitely go there very soon….

Remember... Any Pizza can be a Personal Pizza if you believe in yourself and try hard!

(in reply to markydecker)
Post #: 1354
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/24/2022 5:29:30 PM   
markydecker

I have my eye on Occidental 2016 Cuvée Catherine…I really really hate sharing that wine.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1355
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/24/2022 9:02:49 PM   
JohnWino

When your wife leaves on an extended trip. What blessed memories that brings this old married man. Those were the days. Now I seem to be in eternal lockdown, and retirement is not all that far away though I'm holding out the best I can.

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 1356
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/25/2022 6:26:17 AM   
KPB

I don't enjoy waking up with a blinding headache at 2am. So, I never consume a whole bottle -- not alone, not with friends. I just recork and leave the unfinished wine for another day...

Ken Birman

(in reply to JohnWino)
Post #: 1357
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/25/2022 6:37:20 PM   
markydecker

There’s a first time for everything Ken! LOL
CHEERS

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 1358
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/25/2022 6:40:13 PM   
markydecker

I’ve had that Paul Bara and don’t blame you one bit.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1359
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/26/2022 7:29:45 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I don't enjoy waking up with a blinding headache at 2am. So, I never consume a whole bottle -- not alone, not with friends. I just recork and leave the unfinished wine for another day...

I love your posts, KPB, but this isn't the thread for you then. Don't rain on others' parades! I didn't just drink a bottle alone, but nobody wants to have a virtue signaler in this discussion!

< Message edited by BRR -- 10/26/2022 7:30:53 AM >

Cheers!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 1360
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/26/2022 3:20:36 PM   
KPB

Valid point. Enjoy your wine!

Ken Birman

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 1361
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/27/2022 6:38:12 PM   
markydecker

I totally believe in myself…i think I can, I think I can, I think I can

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1362
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/4/2022 2:21:35 PM   
markydecker

Working on a bottle of NV Andre Clouet Rose…it’s halfway gone and tasty….

Post #: 1363
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/13/2022 2:30:08 AM   
slaughterer

Cuing up some Burg for solo consumption in a few months. Have not drank anything alcoholic in 3 months now for medical reasons, but in a few months I will be permitted by my doctors again to drink. But I will work up to it slowly--I imagine my tolerance is very low at this point. But my tastebuds are fresh as a babies, no longer coated by a daily dose of tannins. Breaking out the "subtle" Burgs for this reason.

"... to make, of this scuttle and heartbeat, art." (J. Updike)

Post #: 1364
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/13/2022 3:53:07 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer

Cuing up some Burg for solo consumption in a few months. Have not drank anything alcoholic in 3 months now for medical reasons, but in a few months I will be permitted by my doctors again to drink. But I will work up to it slowly--I imagine my tolerance is very low at this point. But my tastebuds are fresh as a babies, no longer coated by a daily dose of tannins. Breaking out the "subtle" Burgs for this reason.

Que up some 2008 or 2013 Burgs?

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 1365
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/13/2022 4:57:47 AM   
slaughterer

Even older... 2009 Domaine Ghislaine BArthod Les Cras, Chambolle Musigny Premier Cru, 2005 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogue Musigny Grand Cru "Cuvee Vieilles Vignes".... might also queue up my one and only bottle of Jayer Richebourg if I get through these first two in good standing.

"... to make, of this scuttle and heartbeat, art." (J. Updike)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1366
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/14/2022 10:52:13 AM   
BRR

quote:

That's a great call (using your born-again tastebuds on some subtle wines first)!

Cheers!

Post #: 1367
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 12/22/2022 4:08:23 PM   
markydecker

OK I’m about done with a whole bottle of 2015 Alban Roussanne. It’s damn delicious with various soft cheeses and crackers. Treating myself as I am off work till January 3rd. Nice buzz going:) cheers

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 1368
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 12/23/2022 10:35:50 AM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: markydecker

OK I’m about done with a whole bottle of 2015 Alban Roussanne. It’s damn delicious with various soft cheeses and crackers. Treating myself as I am off work till January 3rd. Nice buzz going:) cheers

High quality Roussanne is an experience I need to repeat sometime. I tasted a Giaconda Roussanne (Beechworth, Australia) around 10 years ago and it was selling for $100 a bottle. I was wondering how the hell one could charge that much for Roussanne but after tasting, it knocked my socks off. Haven't been able to afford it since but one day.....

Post #: 1369
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 12/23/2022 7:00:50 PM   
ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Is it a problem that I can easily consume a bottle and sometimes two without a headache or any other difficulties? And I frequently go several weeks without drinking and rarely drink more than once a week. A bottle seems easy peazy.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 1370
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 12/23/2022 10:58:45 PM   
markydecker

The Alban Roussanne is excellent. Limited quantities to mailing list, about $45-50.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 1371
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 3/10/2023 6:52:30 PM   
dad300

I am almost two bottles in and almost posted some tmi stuff,, and then remembered this post.. got lucky... funny how Friday goes. 25 account visits. (Normal is 12) done early! Holy crap its slow! plan on one drink at my favorite kroger bar.. finds out a bunch of new Bordeaux came in. 3 hours later head home. now I'm drinking mid level cab from paso. and really want to open the good stuff, but know that i wont appreciate it if i do.. ugh

< Message edited by dad300 -- 3/10/2023 6:54:04 PM >

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

Post #: 1372
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 3/11/2023 11:13:26 AM   
Chip Merlot

How's the hangover?

(in reply to dad300)
Post #: 1373
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 3/24/2023 8:21:13 PM   
fingers

I've reached the requisite whole bottle consumed, though not alone - there are others present Maybe next time

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 1374
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 4/1/2023 10:34:56 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

Take care of yourself, Slaughterer. Best wishes, Doug.

It has been a long time. Today is the 23rd wedding anniversary for my wife and I; can't remember the last time I drank a whole bottle of wine by myself, or the equivalent in liquor or beer (hard as that may be to believe. 😄😁). Until today.

While I now see it was coming for decades upon decades, I wasn't diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic until April, 2017. Prior to that, my life was rather dedicated to excess. And that has not changed, entirely - who, really, can change like that? It did put a scare in me, and I lost ~60 lbs/27 kg in six months, eating less, fasting, and eating very low amounts of carbohydrates often. I only got the one HbA1C test (measures glycation of the red blood cells - reflects one's average blood sugar over the past 4 months or so) in the fully 'diabetic' range, ever. Then from late 2017 to earlier this year I mostly went sideways. I was somewhat 'better,' and it's so easy to slip back into our habits/compulsions. So, 5.5 years later, there I was, early this year.

My wife and I have been living in a Midtown Atlanta (right north of 'Downtown') condominium since 2012. Last November we bought a single-family house on the outskirts of the Atlanta metropolitan area, and I've been renovating it before we move all our stuff in and put the other place on the market to sell. I stay at the new place through the week, and thus have total control over what's in the house, in the refrigerator, etc., as far as food and drink. Been going harcore 'keto' (ketogenic eating) i.e. very low-carb, and fasting at times; no booze at all. Did a five day fast 4 or 5 weeks ago, and just finished one last night. Ate last night, including a good bit of salt and liquids, so gained 4 lbs of water weight overnight. Even after that, I'm at my lowest weight in 26 years. More to go, but the direction is right.

Wedding anniversary - we had fried eggs in the morning, then some great salmon later today, and an awesome salad. Margaritas, my own mix, that included 26 ounces or 0.77 liters of tequila. My wife probably had 5 or 6 ounces of it, thus leaving me having consumed 20 or more ounces/0.59 liters of tequila. So - the equivalent of one bottle of wine - I think I definitely qualify.

Post #: 1375
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 4/3/2023 1:23:54 AM   
Paul852

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug
leaving me having consumed 20 or more ounces/0.59 liters of tequila. So - the equivalent of one bottle of wine - I think I definitely qualify.

If we assume that tequila is 3 times the alcohol of wine (40%/13%) the that's equivalent to over two bottles of wine. Don't we have a separate thread for that? I know I started one a couple of years ago for 4 bottles.

But you seemed to have neglected the "consumed alone" part. Drinking one bottle during an evening in the company of others is surely something many people here do on a very regular basis?

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1376
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 4/3/2023 6:56:01 AM   
KPB

Doug, that is an impressive amount of weight loss! Do you have a plan for maintaining it? Or is the idea that you would just stay on this diet indefinitely? I once lost quite a lot of weight in about six months on that same diet, but the problem for me was that I didn’t stick to it. I’ve been thinking about trying it again. Oddly, even at the time, I didn’t cut back on wine.

A colleague of mind was diagnosed with type II and approached it the same way as you. Without meds the diet alone got his sugars back in range. And he just has stuck to that diet ever since. Brings sandwiches made as lettuce wraps, for example, so that he won’t be tempted by the food at department meetings. He, however, doesn’t touch alcohol at all anymore, ever.

Ken Birman

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 1377
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 4/3/2023 7:41:26 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

Paul852:

But you seemed to have neglected the "consumed alone" part. Drinking one bottle during an evening in the company of others is surely something many people here do on a very regular basis?

Guilty as charged, Paul. But, IMO, better than nothing.

quote:

KBP:

Doug, that is an impressive amount of weight loss! Do you have a plan for maintaining it? Or is the idea that you would just stay on this diet indefinitely? I once lost quite a lot of weight in about six months on that same diet, but the problem for me was that I didn’t stick to it. I’ve been thinking about trying it again. Oddly, even at the time, I didn’t cut back on wine.

Thanks, Ken. 'Maintaining' - yes, but eventually - I plan on a lot lower numbers in the future, first. Easy to say, of course. For reference, my all-time-high was in 2016 at 340lbs or 154kg. 269lbs/122kg now. Looong way to go. 225 is where I start looking half-decent again, I'd be happy at 200 but really happy at 180. And since I like numbers, 170lbs/77kg and being "half the man I used to be" is rather the Holy Grail.

I used to think of Type 2 diabetes as rather a one-way street: get it, take oral medication, then more of it, then inject insulin, then more insulin and more of other medications... But for most people, while I wouldn't say it's entirely 'curable' (we're not turning back the clock and giving ourselves the metabolism we had at age 20 or 10 or 5 or whenever it was before we started getting screwed up), I do think it's reversible - just quit doing the stuff that brought it on in the first place.

Pretty much staying on the diet indefinitely is the way. For most of our history, humans didn't eat that much in the way of digestible carbohydrates, except at certain times of the year. Maybe some below-ground vegetables to tide us over, and fruits at the end of summer and into the fall. Carbohydrates raise our insulin level more than do protein and fat, and - more specific to fruit - fructose is metabolized with uric acid being a by-product. Insulin and uric acid prompt fat storage and a high enough insulin level effectively locks us out of burning our fat stores. The message of insulin + uric acid is "Winter is coming," so we better store fat to increase our survival chances. Modern times have us often telling our bodies that constantly; witness the vast rate of obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes and pre-diabetes, etc.

Drinking a pitcher of Margaritas doesn't fit, and I doubt I'll ever truly be on the straight and narrow for even one solid month, but I do want to have as few breaks as possible.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 1378
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 4/3/2023 11:31:11 AM   
KPB

I really should just take inspiration from you and get back on a low-carb diet. The weird thing is that at the time I found it very easy. I need to figure out why I'm quite so surrounded by carbs right now!

Anyhow, since I rarely drink more than half a bottle of wine, I shouldn't be on this thread. I was just expressing admiration... but I should get out of here and leave this place to the pros.

Ken Birman

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1379
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 4/3/2023 1:26:49 PM   
DrBad

I don't know if I have finished off a whole bottle by myself but I do enjoy the me-time when MrsBad is away, I cook up a big steak and open up a nice bottle for myself :-)

I know I've consumed at least a full bottle at times but this would be over a long time window. Pacing a bottle over 5+ hours is doable for me without feeling too bad the next day. The general 1 drink/hour rule works pretty well for me for not feeling inebriated or hung over. Not valid for driving of course!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 1380
Page:   <<   < prev  43 44 45 [46] 47   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  43 44 45 [46] 47   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI