CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/6/2017 11:56:04 PM   
Slye

Hang in there Hollowine come back north for more good juice!

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 1261
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/7/2017 12:26:08 AM   
PinotPhile

Hollowine, sorry that this has been a rough time. I, too, am drawn to the ocean to walk in times of trouble and/or need for contemplation. Even if the weather is bad, it is somehow comforting. Walking meditation, maybe.

DryCab was gone before his time. That is always so difficult. Been there done that. Work issues have this way of compounding/piling on the negatives at the worst times. Been there done that, too.

You, along with Pinto and Billo, have made a difference. A celebration of DryCab's life in a way that works for so many of us. Thank you for your leadership.

Please take care.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1262
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/7/2017 4:34:51 AM   
Old Doug

Damn, Scott, that is rough; good grief...

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 1263
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/7/2017 10:28:13 AM   
Hollowine

Thanks all. Not sure where last night came from but apparently some demons needed exorcising...

Thankfully no hangover this am, so like every day up by 6 and hitting the tasks hard, only thing I know how to do.

Not a big Beatles fan, but I'll close on this note...

"I get by with a little help from my friends..."

Cheers to you all!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1264
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/29/2017 7:09:24 PM   
khmark7

Does a full bomber bottle of 10% alcohol beer count??? Asking for a friend....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1265
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/29/2017 7:48:29 PM   
mtpisgah

Hang in there Scott. We are always here and willing to help each other through their challenges in life.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1266
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/29/2017 9:28:46 PM   
champagneinhand

You were so close to drycab than, I and I felt I needed to take a solo journey to Central America to cleanse a bit and get my life in some perspective.

There will always be rough days. Grief effects everybody different,y as does stres. That house sounds like a nightmare, but hopefully it will end up as a place for retreat and celebration.

There will be better days to come. Stay well.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 1267
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/7/2017 7:09:26 PM   
wicozani

Finished just a few moments ago. The bottle: 2007 Chateau de Saint Cosme Gigondas. The occasion: wife sick in bed for her third day, rewarmed pizza for dinner. Needing to add at least 1 sentence to the book I started writing on Saturday. Rumors of this wine's decline were creeping into recent CT notes, and as a general fan of Saint Cosme, I was compelled to know, even with the dicey pairing with rewarmed pizza. However, needn't have worried. Great development in the glass over 2 hours, indicating this is good to go for a while. 14.5% ABV, and I'm but a bit feeling it. I'm pretty tolerant overall, but all the same I'm glad that I won't have to be driving anywhere tonight. At 55, I can see that I may be tapering off my consumption after ramping it up over the past 10 years. If I can only avoid tacking on some cognac or bourbon on the tail end of red wine, I think I'll be ok. Greetings to all haunting these fora at this hour!

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 1268
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/7/2017 9:40:23 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: wicozani

Finished just a few moments ago. The bottle: 2007 Chateau de Saint Cosme Gigondas. The occasion: wife sick in bed for her third day, rewarmed pizza for dinner. Needing to add at least 1 sentence to the book I started writing on Saturday. Rumors of this wine's decline were creeping into recent CT notes, and as a general fan of Saint Cosme, I was compelled to know, even with the dicey pairing with rewarmed pizza. However, needn't have worried. Great development in the glass over 2 hours, indicating this is good to go for a while. 14.5% ABV, and I'm but a bit feeling it. I'm pretty tolerant overall, but all the same I'm glad that I won't have to be driving anywhere tonight. At 55, I can see that I may be tapering off my consumption after ramping it up over the past 10 years. If I can only avoid tacking on some cognac or bourbon on the tail end of red wine, I think I'll be ok. Greetings to all haunting these fora at this hour!

Cognac.....

Hope your wife heals quickly.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to wicozani)
Post #: 1269
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/7/2017 11:57:29 PM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: wicozani

Cognac.....

Hope your wife heals quickly.

+1 on that sentiment.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 1270
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/12/2017 12:17:40 PM   
Old Doug

Nicely done, Jeff. Here's hoping your wife gets better fast, and good fortune to you in the writing.

(in reply to wicozani)
Post #: 1271
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/19/2017 9:21:24 PM   
wine247365

“Thank you, God!” I said as the bottle went ass up and the last drops of my 2009 Rasa Creative Impulse dripped slowly over the clear rim of my beautiful Eisch crystal glass. I’d uncorked the wine three hours earlier so that it had a chance to breathe and soften and deliver that red wine goodness that I oh-so love. This Rasa is great stuff! Thank you too, Billi!

Three days ago, my wife flew across the country to set up my youngest son in his first apartment as a senior in college. (TYG!) It is comforting and reassuring that his roommate is one of his roommates from his freshman year, when he was 2,000 miles away from home and family. We’ve met his family there and it’s comforting to know that even though you live on separate coasts, have raised your children thousands of miles apart in different regions, we still share good, common values...family, friends, industry, character, etc. (TYG!)

Then last night, my lovely wife left my third-born to take a short flight to spend the weekend with my second born, my daughter, who lives in Chicago. (TYG that we can afford these flights!) She’s been out of college two plus years now and is with a great guy who may one day end up as my son-in-law, which I would love! (TYG!) My daughter is one of my three most important women in the world and I have been blessed that we have such a special relationship, as I know some dads haven’t had such good fortune. (TYG!)

However, during these same last few days, it has been sad that the first most important woman in my life has had to be in the hospital trying to find out what’s wrong. Fortunately, just today, we found out why. It was an easy one…dehydration! (TYG!) For those in this community with elderly parents, you may not be surprised at this, but if you are, tell your parents to drink a glass of water. It’s simple, but so damn important! And the poor thing has had to go through it alone as the most important man in hers and my life left us just a short while ago, back in February! RIP papa! (TYG for having him with us for 88 years!) My mom’s a trouper, but it’s been tough! For me, I’m just so thankful that I was blessed with him as my dad for so many years! (TYG!)

Those beautiful, sad, last drops of Rasa were just enough to give me a couple of ounces with which to wash down my flippin’ kick$ss, medium-rare, T-bone steak paired with a loaded spud…butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon plus a spinach salad w/champagne salad dressing. (TYG!)

Knowing that my lovely and youngest son would be gone this weekend and I’d be on my own, I had the foresight to stop by our local butcher Thursday. This guy’s been around for fifty years and is the Real Deal. In SoCal, anything 50 years old is like the Coliseum is to Rome! Totally old school, cash only with filets, rib eyes, bacon, ribs, ham mocks, burgers, ribs, and all kinds of other carnivorous deliciousness and free spuds! When there, I said in that in honor of my Mom & Dad, I wanted one of their dry-aged T-bones from the back cooler. (TYG!) Growing up, I have great memories of the family tribe coming together no matter what, for Sunday night family meals that ALWAYS involved some type of grilled steaks and loaded spuds. T-bones when I was younger, that later changed to filets when my dad was doing better. (TYG!)

Their dry-aged ones are taken out of a walk-in dry cooler and cut by hand. When they throw it on the table, they size it by the width of their bad-ass knife/blade. Their question as to “Prime” or ”Choice” was a no-brainer…PRIME!!! Although buying for one, with the wife out of town I had the budget for two! $36 bucks later, I walked out the door with a dry-aged 16 oz. T-bone with rub on it and a fist-sized spud in my hands. (TYG!)

So tonight, I set the oven to 400 degrees for the spud for 50 minutes and started making a delish salad with what was left in the fridge…spinach, goat cheese, white onion, red pepper, tomatoes and some bacon bits that I heated in the microwave to mimic fresh-cooked bacon. (TYG!)

Dusk was just beginning as I went outside to fire up my gas grill, which again I murmured a quick TYG as I have a nice small backyard that was redone almost 10 years ago my wife and I still enjoy it so much and are thankful for. (TYG!)

When the spud was about 10 minutes from being ready, I went back outside with some of my Rasa to get that beautiful T-bone cooking. The grill temp said 450, which I know was enough, ‘cause I have a sear plate to cook that aged hunk of beef over. (As I write this, the sun is struggling to turn off its last rays and the honking of 50 geese has just blared through the open slide doors as they’re heading to the wetlands before darkness.) (TYG!)

While it was on the grill, I was chillin’, sipping on my Rasa and looking around and noticed that a neighbor two houses down had just put up a 40-foot high pole to hoist an American flag up. (TYG!) With my buzz going nicely, I thought that was such a cool statement, especially with the Charlottesville and Spanish upsets of the last few days. In the end, I hope that each of us in the blessed country remember that we have it so much better here than everywhere else! Pick your metric, as any of them are better here! (TYG!)

With all of these things on my mind over the last few days and with a quiet house due to the significant things going on with people I love AND at the end of eating a restaurant quality meal and thinking about so many things that I feel blessed about and am thankful for, I was a bit surprised when I heard myself verbalize a quiet Thank you, God” as those last drops of Rasa fell. But you know, it’s okay as you can’t help from where you’re from, nor should you.

Over the years, I’ve enjoyed reading this thread and have wondered if I’d ever feel motivated to post. For me, tonight is the night! After hearing myself say those TYG words, I knew it was time!

With that, I’m gonna close by giving a a quick shout-out to Old Doug as I have so enjoyed his posts here and in other threads over the years! Keep up the posting!

Good night, God Bless! (Off to the 2nd whole bottle consumed alone…!)

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1272
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/19/2017 10:34:37 PM   
fingers

Way to go, j. That was awesome and a top-notch contribution.
Thank you

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 1273
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/19/2017 11:39:28 PM   
pclin

One of the most entertaining threads on this forum!

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1274
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/22/2017 10:02:29 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

I walked out the door with a dry-aged 16 oz. T-bone with rub on it and a fist-sized spud in my hands.

Ha! Right on, Man - good wine and a good piece of meat, aided by that spud; great stuff indeed - life is sweet.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 1275
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/22/2017 11:43:54 PM   
PinotPhile

Nice writing.

I have some Rasa incoming next year. No Creative Impulse, but I have hopes for what I chose....

Cheers!

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 1276
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/23/2017 4:45:23 AM   
dontime

Beautiful! I hope I can do my bottle of Creative Impulse with as much grace.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 1277
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/23/2017 6:26:47 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

Beautiful! I hope I can do my bottle of Creative Impulse with as much grace.

That gives me an idea for a pairing tomorrow with my strip steak....

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 1278
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/25/2017 7:18:42 PM   
S1

2014 Sandlands Carignane
HRH staying with parents (helping mom take care of dad)

REALLY tight at first, but the wonderful tarry, fruity, herbal character finally emerged. These wines are so incredibly well-made.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1279
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/25/2017 11:47:47 PM   
PinotPhile

Got some of the 2015. Sounds encouraging.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 1280
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/26/2017 9:25:25 PM   
dontime

Drank a 2013 Quivet Cellars Syrah Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard by myself tonight. mrs. dontime is out-of-town and I'm down in the dumps. I don't possess the skills of Old Doug or wine247365. Just a few of observations from sitting in front of the TV for the last six plus hours.
1 - Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher. No way, not close. Old Doug is much more Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise will ever be.
2 - Live PD on A&E is fascinating to watch. Guys driving around with AK-47s in their cars. Seriously?
3 - It's amazing that you can flip past a channel and find a movie at a certain scene. Then flip past the same channel six hours later and hit the same exact scene in the same movie. In this case, the big battle in Braveheart.
4 - Watching Jack drive Miles' car into the tree is still funny.

I may have to do this again tomorrow night.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 1281
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/26/2017 11:11:14 PM   
skifree

1 - Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher. No way, not close. Old Doug is much more Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise will ever be.

Classic.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 1282
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/27/2017 4:40:31 AM   
CranBurgundy

A lot of things that are barely amusing when sober become hysterical with sufficient alcohol.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 1283
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/27/2017 8:34:02 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

2014 Sandlands Carignane
HRH staying with parents (helping mom take care of dad)

REALLY tight at first, but the wonderful tarry, fruity, herbal character finally emerged. These wines are so incredibly well-made.

I thought you were the king of patience? How long before the wine was showing well?

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 1284
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/27/2017 11:32:40 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher. No way, not close. Old Doug is much more Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise will ever be.

Don, when I first heard of Cruise's casting as Reacher, it definitely was a head-shaking, 'WTF?' moment. Reacher is big, brooding, patient in non-Cruise ways, and (thankfully) not affiliated with Scientology, that I know of.

Thank you for the comparison. To be honest, though, Reacher's lethality is racheted up a few levels above mine. Just finished the 3rd-to-last Jack Reacher novel yesterday, and am 100 pages into the next-to-last one today thus far. Not the deepest books ever, but excellent story telling, great reads.

If cinematic/literary derivation is on the table then I think Santa Claus and Lee Marvin were my father, Richard Harris and Oliver Reed my Mother.

For you, I'm picking Robin Hood (especially the Errol Flynn version), James Woods, Russell Crowe, and John Steinbeck.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 1285
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/15/2017 10:19:12 PM   
fingers

So I just killed off a whole bottle of Oregon Pinot, yet I'm not sure I'm really qualified to post in here.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1286
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/16/2017 8:41:20 AM   
racerchris

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

So I just killed off a whole bottle of Oregon Pinot, yet I'm not sure I'm really qualified to post in here.

I'm pretty sure Friday is amateur night.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1287
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/16/2017 10:53:47 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

“Thank you, God!” I said as the bottle went ass up and the last drops of my 2009 Rasa Creative Impulse dripped slowly over the clear rim of my beautiful Eisch crystal glass. I’d uncorked the wine three hours earlier so that it had a chance to breathe and soften and deliver that red wine goodness that I oh-so love. This Rasa is great stuff! Thank you too, Billi!

Three days ago, my wife flew across the country to set up my youngest son in his first apartment as a senior in college. (TYG!) It is comforting and reassuring that his roommate is one of his roommates from his freshman year, when he was 2,000 miles away from home and family. We’ve met his family there and it’s comforting to know that even though you live on separate coasts, have raised your children thousands of miles apart in different regions, we still share good, common values...family, friends, industry, character, etc. (TYG!)

Then last night, my lovely wife left my third-born to take a short flight to spend the weekend with my second born, my daughter, who lives in Chicago. (TYG that we can afford these flights!) She’s been out of college two plus years now and is with a great guy who may one day end up as my son-in-law, which I would love! (TYG!) My daughter is one of my three most important women in the world and I have been blessed that we have such a special relationship, as I know some dads haven’t had such good fortune. (TYG!)

However, during these same last few days, it has been sad that the first most important woman in my life has had to be in the hospital trying to find out what’s wrong. Fortunately, just today, we found out why. It was an easy one…dehydration! (TYG!) For those in this community with elderly parents, you may not be surprised at this, but if you are, tell your parents to drink a glass of water. It’s simple, but so damn important! And the poor thing has had to go through it alone as the most important man in hers and my life left us just a short while ago, back in February! RIP papa! (TYG for having him with us for 88 years!) My mom’s a trouper, but it’s been tough! For me, I’m just so thankful that I was blessed with him as my dad for so many years! (TYG!)

Those beautiful, sad, last drops of Rasa were just enough to give me a couple of ounces with which to wash down my flippin’ kick$ss, medium-rare, T-bone steak paired with a loaded spud…butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon plus a spinach salad w/champagne salad dressing. (TYG!)

Knowing that my lovely and youngest son would be gone this weekend and I’d be on my own, I had the foresight to stop by our local butcher Thursday. This guy’s been around for fifty years and is the Real Deal. In SoCal, anything 50 years old is like the Coliseum is to Rome! Totally old school, cash only with filets, rib eyes, bacon, ribs, ham mocks, burgers, ribs, and all kinds of other carnivorous deliciousness and free spuds! When there, I said in that in honor of my Mom & Dad, I wanted one of their dry-aged T-bones from the back cooler. (TYG!) Growing up, I have great memories of the family tribe coming together no matter what, for Sunday night family meals that ALWAYS involved some type of grilled steaks and loaded spuds. T-bones when I was younger, that later changed to filets when my dad was doing better. (TYG!)

Their dry-aged ones are taken out of a walk-in dry cooler and cut by hand. When they throw it on the table, they size it by the width of their bad-ass knife/blade. Their question as to “Prime” or ”Choice” was a no-brainer…PRIME!!! Although buying for one, with the wife out of town I had the budget for two! $36 bucks later, I walked out the door with a dry-aged 16 oz. T-bone with rub on it and a fist-sized spud in my hands. (TYG!)

So tonight, I set the oven to 400 degrees for the spud for 50 minutes and started making a delish salad with what was left in the fridge…spinach, goat cheese, white onion, red pepper, tomatoes and some bacon bits that I heated in the microwave to mimic fresh-cooked bacon. (TYG!)

Dusk was just beginning as I went outside to fire up my gas grill, which again I murmured a quick TYG as I have a nice small backyard that was redone almost 10 years ago my wife and I still enjoy it so much and are thankful for. (TYG!)

When the spud was about 10 minutes from being ready, I went back outside with some of my Rasa to get that beautiful T-bone cooking. The grill temp said 450, which I know was enough, ‘cause I have a sear plate to cook that aged hunk of beef over. (As I write this, the sun is struggling to turn off its last rays and the honking of 50 geese has just blared through the open slide doors as they’re heading to the wetlands before darkness.) (TYG!)

While it was on the grill, I was chillin’, sipping on my Rasa and looking around and noticed that a neighbor two houses down had just put up a 40-foot high pole to hoist an American flag up. (TYG!) With my buzz going nicely, I thought that was such a cool statement, especially with the Charlottesville and Spanish upsets of the last few days. In the end, I hope that each of us in the blessed country remember that we have it so much better here than everywhere else! Pick your metric, as any of them are better here! (TYG!)

With all of these things on my mind over the last few days and with a quiet house due to the significant things going on with people I love AND at the end of eating a restaurant quality meal and thinking about so many things that I feel blessed about and am thankful for, I was a bit surprised when I heard myself verbalize a quiet Thank you, God” as those last drops of Rasa fell. But you know, it’s okay as you can’t help from where you’re from, nor should you.

Over the years, I’ve enjoyed reading this thread and have wondered if I’d ever feel motivated to post. For me, tonight is the night! After hearing myself say those TYG words, I knew it was time!

With that, I’m gonna close by giving a a quick shout-out to Old Doug as I have so enjoyed his posts here and in other threads over the years! Keep up the posting!

Good night, God Bless! (Off to the 2nd whole bottle consumed alone…!)

quote:

Many of us have given an out loud or a quiet shout-out to OD in the midst of 1WBCA... excellent post BTW.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 1288
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 12/18/2017 6:47:57 PM   
Hollowine

Had a dental cleaning today. How much do I hate those?...well, went home, pulled the cork, almost done with a bottle. Feck I hate those. Not for lack of dental hygiene, more so for the being stabbed with sharp objects in my soft tissue for an hour perspective...

Anyways...This thread fell asleep for a while. Why not.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 1289
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 12/18/2017 7:15:27 PM   
musedir

Scott, Ive been fortunate for the past three decades: two cavities and one replaced filling. I see the dentist every 4-5 months and know how susceptible I am to bad dentistry. No root canals and one set of wisdom teeth in distant memory. Sorry for your pain but happy for your cure.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI