CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/30/2015 11:00:44 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

I'm contemplating something similar for my out building to make it a sanitary winery.  My main issue there is bird invasion into the eaves and ceiling spaces, as well as lack of or inadequate utilities, water, power, sewer, HVAC.  I'm going to bid it/cost it our both ways, gut and remodel, or bulldoze and start from scratch at the foundation, or even new foot print.   Bulldozing and full demolition is remarkably cheap. The reconstruction part is more expensive and code kicks in, but overall the end product might be more desirable.   Have you thought about that Hollow?

Yeah, pondered it.

The big problem is that it started as "I know it is wrong, I can fix it myself" then grew into "Crap, this is extensive" and from there into "well, if it is all ripped out anyway, why don't we...?"

Two big issues faced us;

- First, the house is two buildings, a detached garage is separated from the house by a 4' breezeway. Not awful, but stupid we have to transit it in the rain in the winter as we are currently living above the garage.
- Second, the garage is slab-on-grade, the house is crawlspace and joists. Thus our plans to attach the two are running into many complications.

Current momentum is that in July we will hire a firm to jack up the entire garage by two feet, and will build up the block foundation and set it down. We will then remove the garage wall facing the house and attach the two buildings. The entire inside floor plan is now being finalized.

Yeah...kinda wish we had lit that wood burning fireplace insert last may...with the rust out of the back, the house would have gone in minutes...clean slate...

I hate to be the man chanting the Talking Heads song "Burning down the house," however if you talk to your local fire department, as many in small coastal towns are made up of many reserves, you could arrange to use the building for training of the fire brigade. It could be a total write off as a donation to the town for training purposes. Many times the town will pay for the full demo after the fire brigade has gone through with their training, which usually involves coordination with local police and ambulances to the closets ER. Sometimes these are golden opportunities for real training for the newer recruits that have yet to tackle a real house fire with real casualties. This kind of training is invaluable, because when the real thing happens the mind goes blank for a second at the horror but then training kicks in and people perform like champs. If they had the CPR Annie's on sight etc, it could be a great thing for the area. Then after they have removed all the rubble you would have a nice flat piece of concrete and with a significant tax write off the cost of a proper rebuild would be mitigated to a large extent.

Just a suggestion. My SIL just passed her fire department run through the county smokehouse in full gear. That's a controlled but panic inducing challenge, but it can't supplement real structures. The county attorney and a tax guy could give you an estimate on the write off amount. Just hate to see a house filled with such filth and people in hazmat gear trying to sanitize it. You will spend many years in the place and don't want to worry if you missed anything. Plus have you bored into the beams to check for dry rot or insect damage? Anyhow it's a real option. It can be cost effective. Also I've worked in full MOP gear with mask, hood, Chen suit full rubber gloves and boots. It's horrible. Running and swearing is only that much worse and decontamination with any old fecal matter present risks serious respiratory problems or the potential. I hate floods and fires. But there can be great silver linings to anything.

Time for some more champagne tomorrow along with Barolo as my FIL turned 70 today. Big family party. I'll be enjoying much. Tonight not so much. A weird day where Temps started warm and muggy but around 11pm large cold front and massive rain coming down. Temps will bottom out near the low 50s by sunrise tomorrow.

Good luck with the projects. Be safe and as always think outside the box.

< Message edited by champagneinhand -- 5/30/2015 11:01:51 PM >

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1171
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/30/2015 11:50:35 PM   
Fire Bill

As a firefighter, I have had the opportunity to train on homes donated for this purpose. The police would use the house first to practice going into barricaded homes to get someone out, and then we would use it to burn in. It was always great training, and once everything was said and done, we would let it burn to the ground.

However, it has been a long time since we have had homes donated for training. The big reason is that the tax man no longer allows for a deduction unless the land the property sits on is also donated. Also, there have been cases of homeowners being included in lawsuits when the training goes wrong and someone is injured. If your Fire Department is rural, as a homeowner, you may have the deepest pockets when it comes to lawsuits and you don't want to open yourself up to that liability. I work in CA, so things may be different where you live.

I always appreciate that people think of us when it comes to helping out the cause. I really do... We do this job to help the public, and I personally could never do anything else. I just figured I would share my experience with this subject. If you ever need something demolished, go by your local firehouse and see if anyone wants to help out. We love breaking things and we usually work for cheap, feed us and have cold beer.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 1172
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/31/2015 12:22:14 PM   
PinotPhile

Can. Not. Resist. What about this instead of the cold beer?

http://screamingchiefwine.com/

(in reply to Fire Bill)
Post #: 1173
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/31/2015 1:11:10 PM   
Fire Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

I live about 10 minutes from Screaming Chief and have never heard of it. I guess I will need to investigate it! However, most firefighters prefer cold beer over wine.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 1174
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/31/2015 1:25:14 PM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fire Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

I live about 10 minutes from Screaming Chief and have never heard of it. I guess I will need to investigate it! However, most firefighters prefer cold beer over wine.

Website explains the name, but I can't help but wonder if the name really relates to Bowman's unforgettable TV performance during the wild fires when he was Chief.

And, thank you for your work. You are appreciated.

(in reply to Fire Bill)
Post #: 1175
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/31/2015 1:39:26 PM   
champagneinhand

Things are much different in California. I live in New York and along with CA and MA we are the most litigious states in the country. However in NY you can have a decent contract written up that protects the homeowner or should I say land owner. You shouldn't have to donate the entire property to get some help on the cost. They will for sure remove the rubble as that's part of the training process. You might have the town give you compensation in the for if a property tax credit and waiving of future inspection fees. It's certainly worth checking out.

We all love our fire fighters. We had two gunned down in a Chrustmas eve 2 and a half years back by a deranged criminal who should have never been parolled. One of the guys was just 18, the other a family man was also an Lt in our police department. Such a huge blow to our town and area. On a brighter note, when a teen arsonist attempted to kill his whole family by dousing the home with gasoline, we had police respond in less that 2 minutes along with some volunteer firefighters who rushed in and pulled out one of the daughters in the basement. All were fister kids and mom was able to jump with an infant from second story as fire fighters prepared a landing spot. It was a tad grey but trained fire and police lessened the blow. In my own life, my brothers house burned about 18 months ago. Dry lightning and high winds take homes in his area all the time. They had two firefighters that lived close enough arrive before the truck. While my brother and his wife and the younger kids got out, his 26 year old son was stuck in the basement. These two heroes pulled their masks in and charged through the thick smoke and flames licking the roof and hallways. They found my nephew unconscious but curled up under the stairway where he must have sought shelter. They grabbed him at the exact time the truck had pulled up and was getting water on for their ascent up. The house was a total loss as were there cars under a carport. My nephew was in the burn center briefly but awoke from a coma ripping his ET tube out asking where the heck his iPhine was. Talk about unneeded throat pain.

The insurance company rebuilt the home and added a metal roof. These flying embers are so dangerous and all real tainting helps so much. I think back to my Army training and when you might otherwise sit paralyzed, that training just breaks through and has you moving with so much more confidence.

Anyhow as long as the other houses aren't close a beach house seems an ideal candidate for training and demolition with some financial benefits for you and great training for the local fire and police. At least it's a thought.

I'm working my way through a bottle of champagne solo. I had to pass on the birthday party but kept the champagne at home. Gossett. Yum!

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Fire Bill)
Post #: 1176
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/6/2015 7:19:28 PM   
cookiefiend

It's been a rough week.
My dog has cancer, our last chick is leaving the nest and taking the other sweetest dog on the planet with him, I spent the afternoon balancing 18 statements because I had to wait till the last effing minute for a K-1. And our CPA can't work with out version (an older one) of Quickbooks. Then someone was mean to Yoss!
No one is mean to Yoss! Not on my watch!
So, after a long drive home that included a trip to pick up a mag of Krug, then a trip to the LWS to get some bourbon because we were out of Makers Mark (OY - hell doth froze over), then once home - the feeding the dogs, getting the mail, getting 2 boxes of wine out of my car, and no one poured me a drink! So I had to pour my own (Makers Mark Cask Strength) and gave a little bit of shizz to those standing around (the dogs 😆). I ran out and got dinner and found a very nice glass of Larmandier Rose and a glass of '04 Macauley Beckstoffer to Kalon Cab ready to go. We've finished them off, had some giggles, watched a movie, petted the girls (Kilo is asleep on my feet) and I'm thinking about what a great life we have. I'm writing this on my iPad which is less than stellar for my current state of mind.
I want to say that I think this forum is great. Truly. I'll poke anyone in the eye who says otherwise.
Yoss - I knew you were having a day/week from hell. I wasn't gonna let someone be $thitty to you. Me and The Current Mrs Yoss got your back. I know schitty weeks too.
I'm gonna miss my German Shepherd - best thing I can do right now is to give her all the love I can - and some really good snacks.
Peace y'all

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

Post #: 1177
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/6/2015 7:33:30 PM   
cookiefiend

PS - seriously- where has everyone been? No posts since May 31st?
<shakin my Hoosier head>
Though I'm just as guilty

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 1178
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/6/2015 7:42:06 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

It's been a rough week.

I'm thinking about what a great life we have. I'm writing this on my iPad which is less than stellar for my current state of mind.
I want to say that I think this forum is great. Truly. I'll poke anyone in the eye who says otherwise.
Yoss - I knew you were having a day/week from hell. I wasn't gonna let someone be $thitty to you. Me and The Current Mrs Yoss got your back. I know schitty weeks too.
I'm gonna miss my German Shepherd - best thing I can do right now is to give her all the love I can - and some really good snacks.
Peace y'all

True heart my friend. Sending Love and support to you and Joe. I had my own crappy week, maybe we need to meet in Chicago and toast our resolve and friendship!

Post #: 1179
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/6/2015 8:01:04 PM   
cookiefiend

quote:

quote:

It's been a rough week.

I'm thinking about what a great life we have. I'm writing this on my iPad which is less than stellar for my current state of mind.
Peace y'all

True heart my friend. Sending Love and support to you and Joe. I had my own crappy week, maybe we need to meet in Chicago and toast our resolve and friendship!

Thanks Scott. I'm sorry you've had a wicked week too.
We def need to get together in Chicago - I hear Les Nomade calling our names!

Dawn

Aldous Huxley

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1180
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/6/2015 8:06:34 PM   
pclin

It has been years since I consume one whole bottle alone, the last time must be sometime in 2009.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

Post #: 1181
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/6/2015 8:10:28 PM   
skifree

quote:

It's been a rough week.
My dog has cancer, our last chick is leaving the nest and taking the other sweetest dog on the planet with him, I spent the afternoon balancing 18 statements because I had to wait till the last effing minute for a K-1. And our CPA can't work with out version (an older one) of Quickbooks. Then someone was mean to Yoss!
No one is mean to Yoss! Not on my watch!
So, after a long drive home that included a trip to pick up a mag of Krug, then a trip to the LWS to get some bourbon because we were out of Makers Mark (OY - hell doth froze over), then once home - the feeding the dogs, getting the mail, getting 2 boxes of wine out of my car, and no one poured me a drink! So I had to pour my own (Makers Mark Cask Strength) and gave a little bit of shizz to those standing around (the dogs 😆). I ran out and got dinner and found a very nice glass of Larmandier Rose and a glass of '04 Macauley Beckstoffer to Kalon Cab ready to go. We've finished them off, had some giggles, watched a movie, petted the girls (Kilo is asleep on my feet) and I'm thinking about what a great life we have. I'm writing this on my iPad which is less than stellar for my current state of mind.
Peace y'all

Awesome post. Hope to meet you at Chamber's Bay, or an offline in Chicago with Scott, or something.....

So much wine, so little time

Post #: 1182
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/6/2015 8:33:57 PM   
BenNoir

Dogs.

No truer soul exists.
Can't live without them,
and they just don't live long enough.

ben

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 1183
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/6/2015 9:47:48 PM   
pclin

I have many dogs over the years since 5 years old, 3 mongrels, 1 beagle, 1 boxer, 1 King Charles spaniel, and 1 schnauzer. Love them.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 1184
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/7/2015 4:01:00 AM   
racerchris

I didn't know this thread existed, but now that I do I'm sure I'll find a use for it every now and then.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 1185
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/7/2015 8:03:43 AM   
crispino

quote:

Peace y'all

Dawn, that is some sad news. I still remember seeing your lovely pup over in the CT Dogs thread:
www.cellartracker.com/forum/fb.asp?m=301856
quote:

ORIGINAL: crispino
quote:

Allie at the office, keeping me company (and begging for a treat)

Dawn, the hopeful look on your Allie's face reminds me of my Moose!

- Chris

They have such sweet faces, no? All the best to you.

- Chris

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile

Post #: 1186
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/7/2015 8:35:02 AM   
drycab

Dawn,
I had to say goodbye to my best friend Apollo a couple of months ago. Brace yourself! For me, it still hurts like H_ll, months later.
Needless to say, I really feel your pain.
Brad

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 1187
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/7/2015 8:39:26 PM   
schwank

Just finished a 2009 WillaKenzie Triple Black Slopes Pinot Noir. Very hot and ready to go, just like my wife who is now a week past due date with our baby girl. We just sat around and watched a couple old episodes of Top Gear to kill time... it's been a weird couple of weeks just hanging around, working from home, waiting...

Post #: 1188
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/13/2015 7:54:31 PM   
Old Doug

Dawn, your dogs have a great place to live (wherever you are).

Mouth cancers in dogs - ugh, indeed can be so fast. I still get choked up about a Dachsund/Bassett Hound who died in 2004, and it wasn't even my dog. He belonged to my dad and stepmother, and he was the most "human" dog I ever met, hilarious, calculating, spiteful, neurotic and loving.

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 1189
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 11/13/2015 9:09:06 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's been a rough week.

Peace y'all

Thanks Scott. I'm sorry you've had a wicked week too.
We def need to get together in Chicago - I hear Les Nomade calling our names!

Really after watching a bit of the news, I would like to crawl inside a bottle. Having rum insteadcsvdctegingvto think this out a bit and not feel over-traumatized but I can't seem to do that right now. Feeling a flash of PTSD like feelings well up and adding a bottle, especially a good bottle just can't be done right now. I feel like going down to my cellar and sitting amongst the French bottles and having some tears well up. I love Europe and France. I'm just trying to accept that it's never going to be the same. I'm glad that the stick from France is there but my friends in France, in England, the Netherlands. It's just to tragic to process right now. I need to drive my wife and the princesses boyfriend to the state regional volleyball tournament. I certainly won't leave them to drive alone for 90 minutes to rural upstate. I just don't know how to prepare or what changes we will see as tomorrow unfolds.

Sorry to be such a bummer on this thread but I don't know where else to post what I'm feeling comfortably. My whole world changed in 9/11 like most of us had happen. It tire open so long buried and suppressed memories and emotions that I had compartmentakized long ago. That plan the DOD just hasn't worked out for any of us, no matter what mask we wear to get by. I worry about my 2 grandsons and what kind of world will they grow up in. I may have to ration some great wine for them. Show them some of my moms great pictures of Paris. I worry about how my mom is reacting to this across the country. May bed to call her. Probably a good idea to check in with my sister first.

I'll be back later. First things first.

Post #: 1190
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 1/16/2016 4:15:23 PM   
Franklin 10

Hmmmm... Thinking, thinking... Last post November 2015?

Post #: 1191
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 1/16/2016 4:39:29 PM   
Old Doug

Franklin, teetotalling, sociable people have apparently taken over.

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 1192
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 1/17/2016 4:23:35 AM   
racerchris

'Tis the season to consume wine in the company of others.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1193
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 1/17/2016 6:27:41 PM   
skifree

After the Seahawks game today was thinking of looking this thread up......

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 1194
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 1/17/2016 6:33:24 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

After the Seahawks game today was thinking of looking this thread up......

Yes -- even with a slight cold, I think I am going to open something -- roast in the oven......

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 1195
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/14/2016 4:13:59 PM   
dontime

Bump - found on page 14...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 1196
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/14/2016 5:09:05 PM   
musedir

Holy Hell!! Where has Dennis been lately?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 1197
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/14/2016 5:29:27 PM   
MindMuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Holy Hell!! Where has Dennis been lately?

I think you mean Doug.
I'm too mellow after OWBCA to post...

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1198
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 7/15/2016 10:03:52 AM   
champagneinhand

Doug gets stuck in other obsessions. He will be back as will I some day.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 1199
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/2/2016 3:39:37 PM   
Old Doug

Right you are, Dave. And damn, y'all been s l a c k i n.

Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI