CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/2/2016 4:48:50 PM   
musedir

DOUG!!!!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1201
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/2/2016 5:01:24 PM   
Eddie

This is apropos of nothing, but I thought I'd post a picture of the Cairngorm Mountains in Scotland.

The picture appears to have been taken in December orJanuary. As a lad of 12 years of age, back in 1972, I was up at the top of Cairngorm (the highest peak in the range) in early August, and everything was frozen even then. The Ice Age still hasn't ended on the higher Scottish peaks.....

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1202
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/2/2016 5:39:56 PM   
musedir

Eddie, did you get to Ben Neve.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 1203
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/2/2016 5:46:16 PM   
Eddie

I assume you mean Ben Nevis. We drove past it, but did not climb it.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1204
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/2/2016 5:59:48 PM   
Ibetian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Right you are, Dave. And damn, y'all been s l a c k i n.

Welcome back, Old Doug!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1205
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/2/2016 6:46:43 PM   
Eddie

Tom--here's a photo of Ben Nevis.......

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 1206
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 8/3/2016 4:31:35 AM   
musedir

Yes, Ben Nevis. The view from on high is fabulous.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 1207
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/1/2016 8:43:01 PM   
Franklin 10

Glass of glenfiddich: serviceable but overrated (imho).
(large) glass of 2009 Bunchgrass CS, ditto.

Doing a "favor" for a partner by taking his call last Thursday and getting payback tonight, which makes a 5 day weekend, making it to Northern Michigan with the dogs after an easy drive, grilled steaks and accoutrement with my (very hungry) 19 y/o son, Northern Lights and the Milky Way and a "grab something to fit the moment" glass of 2012 Proper Syrah: this moment is so precious that its price cannot be determined.

"Alone" because he's gone down to thhe beachside park to work on his skateboard tricks.

Hope you all have a great Labor Day Weekend.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1208
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/1/2016 11:34:29 PM   
PinotPhile

I understand there are nice wineries to visit in Michigan. One current IN resident I know just told me last week that MI wines trump IN wines. No experience to have an opinion. But maybe you will have an opportunity to explore....

Enjoy the weekend. Hope you have great weather. Certainly better than in January......

Cheers!

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 1209
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/6/2016 10:06:09 AM   
champagneinhand

Gad a 2015 Provence rose a few days back after completing a lot of housekeeping activity. I don't know whether it combined with prior inhalation of soft scrub fumes but it left me a wreck, and I usually can hold a lot of wine quite well after drinking it over a few hours. Perhaps this keeps me away from Rose' more than it should. All Grenache too, I should have stuck with a more mouvedre based wine, but I hurriedly picked up the bottle as I was a bit rushed in my local this past Friday evening.

-1 for Grenache heavy wine once more. I have just lost the taste for it, but it was very fragrant, a positive.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 1210
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/9/2016 9:19:27 PM   
fingers

Those that know me will swear I'm lying, but tonight was the first time I've consumed a whole 750ml bottle of bubbly alone. Well, I wasn't alone. Dr. B was here too, but I did drink the whole bottle. The muse was a $20 Cremant de Bourgogne. Perfectly serviceable and would make a great Sunday brunch alternative to the Korbels and Wilson Creeks that seem to be the norm.

Thread proticol insinuates that this is the point where I should wax poetic and profound, a la Doug, to contribute to the general salience, integrity, motivation, enlightenment, levity, and overall good vibe of the place. Well, after three long days away from home base and slugging down this Brut in a matter of minutes, that ain't happenin'. I'm going to be lucky enough to get this out without my usual iPad typos. Then again, that could very likely mean I need to drink a little more. That's probably a good bet..... but I'd still rather hear from OD. Or anyone else, so inclined.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 1211
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/10/2016 5:22:23 AM   
dontime

Nice and short and to the point Bob. Well done!

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1212
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/10/2016 5:47:20 AM   
musedir

Outstanding stream of consciousness Bob. Very Kerouac-esque. In spirit and action.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 1213
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/10/2016 6:55:24 AM   
fingers

In the light of sobriety this morning, my main observation is that if I weren't so self-deprecating, I would be totally unbearable

'tis the weekend. Good chance of others <poke:Doug> to contribute here.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1214
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/10/2016 7:03:41 AM   
Eddie

Doug seems to have been pretty scarce of late. Someone else should volunteer to fill his shoes.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1215
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/10/2016 11:06:39 AM   
racerchris

I nearly posted last night, but I got too drunk to even keep my laptop on my lap.
Pulled the cork on a 2010 Chateau Cote Montpezat at 6pm, and after setting a pot on the stove to boil some beans I poured a glass of wine to have with an appetizer.
Before 7 I went back to the kitchen, poured a second glass - the first had been pretty good - and began preparing a batch of my chile.
Shortly after 8 o'clock I was finished cooking and I had also finished a third glass - still improving from the first two.
It was at that point, pouring a 4th glass, that I noticed the pours had been generous and the bottle only provided 4 glasses.
If this had been a traditional Bordeaux I might have been fine, but this is modern styled with lots of fruit up front and a 14.5% Abv.
Easy drinking, and easy to get drunk.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 1216
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/10/2016 8:10:10 PM   
musedir

So I opened this bottle just about the time Auburn licked off to Arkansas State. Now 3-1/2 hours later I'm realizing I'm joining this august group of imbibers and scribes. From the sheer exhilaration of Nova's soaring descent into Jodan-Hare Stadium (is there a more dramatic game tradition than a soaring Eagle flying around a stadium of 100,000 people and landing directly onto the carrion that compels the bird's journey?).

Well with 6 minutes left and Auburn leading 51-14, I can relax and focus on the wine. Even though 2013 is a mite young, it's opened up nicely after three hours and the fruit, bouquet and follow through is completely satisfying.

I know we have a number of football fans on the forum...not counting Yossarian's take on the term. Some winners, some loses... but such youthful energy to win and advance their cause. Time enough for the other stuff in a few years when instant millionaires become professional fodder.

So at times like this I too miss the poignant prose of our own Old Doug. On the Road is best appreciated by a southern rebel behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler as he rolls on to another high voltage calamity on the left coast or in the Great Lakes neighborhood. Such a poet warrior. Doug, this glass is to you.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 1217
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/11/2016 7:29:37 AM   
fingers

Nice one, Tom. And don't forget to save that bottle.... kept by the nightstand, it makes an excellent weapon to defend against Loachapoka monsters and zombies.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1218
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/11/2016 8:20:56 AM   
pclin

Eddie, those are very nice pictures of Scotland. I have only visited Scotland once but love that place. Hopefully one of my kids will go to university there so I can have excuse to visit often.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1219
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/11/2016 8:09:19 PM   
Wine_Strategies

I drank a bottle alone tonight. 2010 Chianti Classico Riserva with a great pork tenderloin and ricotta dish. Then some $45/bottle Riesling. Then some Scotch. Where's OD when you need him???

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 1220
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/11/2016 11:44:43 PM   
pclin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

I drank a bottle alone tonight. 2010 Chianti Classico Riserva with a great pork tenderloin and ricotta dish. Then some $45/bottle Riesling. Then some Scotch. Where's OD when you need him???

Hey, that's more than one bottle!

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 1221
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/12/2016 6:55:59 PM   
mclancy10006

Well maybe somebody else showed up after Chianti

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 1222
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/12/2016 7:06:42 PM   
BornToRhone

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

quote:

Hey, that's more than one bottle!

Need a new thread for 2 bottles consumed alone!

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 9/12/2016 7:07:10 PM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 1223
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/12/2016 7:37:40 PM   
Motaint

quote:

My new idol....

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 1224
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/26/2016 7:50:53 PM   
musedir

Such a fine wine for 90 minutes of I'm not sure of what I saw. Opinion deleted before typing.

(in reply to Motaint)
Post #: 1225
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/27/2016 5:59:02 PM   
Old Doug

I miss my friends. It's an odd thing - I haven't seen any of you more than 3 or 4 times, and some of you I've never seen, like Fingers, Eddie, Franklin, Ibetian...

Do you hear them - they are flapping in the near distance, the tattered gonfalons of a city on a hill, a wholly imaginary thing, otherwise I'm just sitting motionless except for the slight rocking motion due to the beating of my heart. How "steady state" do we have to be? We obviously have different amplitudes in our lives, more or less highs and lows, so to speak, and what is the best way to have it?

How important is joy, without the capacity to suffer, and would it even exist? The cost involved in hitting some of the highs - is it worth it? Excesses of food and drink - doubtless they whittle away at our life expectancy, but looking back I wouldn't give many of them up. They are part of me; certain baseborn sentiments I cannot surrender. I have slowed down, though, in the day-to-day and month-over-month proceedings, and probably just as well.

For many of us, just as we get to really know how life is, life is about done with us. To take a relatively sour look at it, life is going from one mistake to another, with (hopefully) substantial periods of time in-between. I've had, and am having, a good life, yet looking back there's a lot of mistakes, the broken windlestraws of my existence.

Okay, yes - I felt like using some archaic words today.

The contemplation of things is more and more pleasurable to me as I get older. I can sit and stare into infinity, and the view is good, and people have been doing it for tens of thousands of years.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1226
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/27/2016 8:30:32 PM   
dontime

Good to have you pass through Doug.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1227
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/27/2016 9:11:26 PM   
fingers

Love it

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 1228
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/27/2016 11:28:19 PM   
pclin

I have only meet one person from this forum face to face.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1229
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/28/2016 2:43:47 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

I have only meet one person from this forum face to face.

I can say the same (although I would have substituted "met" for "meet"). Tom and Dr. M were kind enough to host us one night, and the experience was thoroughly pleasant.

Doug, in consolation of our remove, may I suggest that you acquire a copy of Elizabeth Fuller's translation of Eckermann's Conversations With Goethe (1839). This great work, a classic of Western Literature, is now, sadly, considered obscure, but it is a feast for the mind and heart. The translator's preface, alone, merits whatever exertions you must endure to obtain it. As delightful as it is, it might provoke in you, as it has in me, a certain melancholy; one cannot read even a paragraph of it, without being reminded of the dissipation, moral and intellectual, that aggrieves our age. But I receive the same upliftment from it, as from Life of Johnson.

Other translations will not suffice; insist on Fuller's.

< Message edited by Eddie -- 9/28/2016 2:45:26 AM >

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 1230
Page:   <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI