CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Growing Your Own Grapes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Growing Your Own Grapes Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/15/2013 4:48:14 PM   
khmark7

Just did my first spray of Mancozeb, it's good against Black Rot & Downy Mildew, among other pathogens. It must be sprayed 66 days before harvest, so I use this early season then switch to other agents later in the summer.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 301
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/15/2013 5:37:30 PM   
khmark7

[image][URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/khmark7/media/002-1_zps8bd625ff.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

[image][URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/khmark7/media/003_zps2d1c2c30.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

[image][URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/khmark7/media/004_zps6b82ea1c.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

Just a little over two weeks since bud break.

< Message edited by khmark7 -- 5/15/2013 5:40:53 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 302
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/15/2013 6:24:12 PM   
lafeeverted

Looking good. I need to set up a site so I can post some pics as well.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 303
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/15/2013 6:56:52 PM   
khmark7

Photobucket works best for this forum. I just copy the image link and copy and paste.

Forgot to add above captions.
Top pic is my Marechal Foch growing on the back corner of my house on a 4-5' trellis.
Middle pic is my Niagara growing rather quickly.
Last pic is a close-up of my Frontenac Gris clusters

(in reply to lafeeverted)
Post #: 304
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/20/2013 1:31:53 PM   
khmark7

High winds in Chicago are causing some problems for my vines today. Despite being grown on a top wire trellis system it appears that the grape shoots on my American & hybrids still grow upwards or diagonally until the weight of the vine & the grapes pull them down. Many of my shoots were 2-3 feet long and todays high winds has snapped a few of them. I appear to be very close to flowering for several vines, and expect the shoots to really take on more weight and drop with berry set.

It has also been dry since April here in northern Illinois, so we could use a little rain.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 305
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/21/2013 1:46:16 PM   
lafeeverted

More vine clean up and selecting shoots to let grow. There is always an oh sh*t moment when I realize I cut the wrong one and removed the one with grapes! Hate that.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 306
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/21/2013 2:33:01 PM   
lafeeverted

[image][URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lafeeverted/media/20130508_132903_zpsed143607.jpg.html][/image]

just a few weeks ago

[image][URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lafeeverted/media/20130521_165819_zps75088a78.jpg.html][/image]

Obviously having trouble getting the pics to work......if you want to see them, click on the link

http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lafeeverted/media/20130521_165819_zps75088a78.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

OK , I figured it out and will post later

< Message edited by lafeeverted -- 5/21/2013 3:24:27 PM >

Post #: 307
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/26/2013 5:48:51 PM   
champagneinhand

Okay a few pictures to update, the other growers. The line closest to my house is full of fruit, and I will need to thin it down soon, but a frost warning tonight. Its not supposed to be under 44F here, but at this stage, that is scary. Much warmer this week nearing 90F.

The next is a shot of the last two rows, which are moving along. I actually have fruit on every vine with the exception of the 2 grafted Pinot Gris planted this year, but they now have some budding and shoot to start out soon.

This is up close on the gravel in row 3. There has been a little mother bird grinding into my gravel for the past week or so, and she blend right in. Like a Grouse, she would wander away with her tail feathers spread faking an injury to get you away from her nesting area. Today I saw what she finally accomplished, 4 huge eggs, that blend in so well to the gravel I had to get really close, to get this picture. Yes, Mom wasn't happy with me.

I note, that I used iPhoto filters and enhancements because the gravel is multi-colored river gravel and some light gray drainage gravel. Without these color enhancements, and being so close, you would never know these were her four prized children in waiting.

She is a killdeer. Pretty little bird. This is the first of her species near our bird refuge. Usually robins, cardinals and other pretty birds come along with the Heron, Hawks and Osprey. So cool.

< Message edited by champagneinhand -- 5/26/2013 5:50:16 PM >

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

Post #: 308
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/27/2013 5:14:14 PM   
khmark7

Nice pictures Dave. I have a lot of respect for someone who can turn the majority of their backyard into a vineyard. Lawns full of turf are for the weak.

Weather here in Chicago is shaping up like the 2007 vintage in France. Rain, grey and variable temperatures.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 309
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/28/2013 2:25:34 PM   
khmark7

My Marechal Foch & Frontenac Gris are flowering. So the clock starts at petal drop. FG is around 100 days and the Marechal Foch is around 95 days I figure.

Here soon I expect my Concord, Bluebell, St. Pepin, La Crosse, Swenson Red & Niagara to start flowering. Everything else is far behind.

Picked some shoots of V. Riparia vines growing along the trail that I ran today. Their clusters appear to be ready to begin flowering, but for now I am going to see if I can get any to root.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 310
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/28/2013 4:21:54 PM   
champagneinhand

It looks as if our weather forecast has changed. Today was supposed to be sunny, but it started raining around 11AM, and was only around 58F. It will warm soon, but showers tonight and tomorrow afternoon. I am glad I got some of the Immunox onto the grapes and apple trees. Warm humid, and the cold wet weather can mess up the vines quickly. Its like living in Champagne.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 311
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/28/2013 4:24:50 PM   
lafeeverted

Steady rain most of the day today, I thought it was supposed to be a decent one as well and did not get to spray prior to the rains.

< Message edited by lafeeverted -- 5/28/2013 4:25:21 PM >

Post #: 312
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/28/2013 6:39:27 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: lafeeverted

Steady rain most of the day today, I thought it was supposed to be a decent one as well and did not get to spray prior to the rains.

Heard from a friend of mine who is growing a large number of grapes far outside of Chicago and he said that the constant rain has not allowed him to spray. Hopefully his vines don't develop any mildew. He is mainly growing Noiret, Corot Noir, Bianca & Marquette.

We couldn't ask for any worse weather during flowering....except maybe hail.

Post #: 313
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/30/2013 7:16:21 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

Heard from a friend of mine who is growing a large number of grapes far outside of Chicago and he said that the constant rain has not allowed him to spray. Hopefully his vines don't develop any mildew. He is mainly growing Noiret, Corot Noir, Bianca & Marquette.

We couldn't ask for any worse weather during flowering....except maybe hail.

Don't even say hail, as its a remote possibility for tomorrow with 90+ temps and some sever but random thundershowers aren't off the menu.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 314
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/30/2013 8:45:26 PM   
khmark7

Today was winds at 30-40 mph gusts. More broken shoots and I now have 3 vines flowering, which with the rain makes for terrible conditions. Hopefully the weather settles down when everything else blooms here in the next week or so.

Post #: 315
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/4/2013 6:32:22 PM   
khmark7

Most vines now flowering, which is good cause the weather has calmed down a bit.

Can't help but notice that all my procumbent vines are still trying to grow up or along the wires, making more work for me. Established vines now have shoots up to 3-4 feet in length, which is making me nervous as my top wire in most cases is only 5 feet tall. I might be doing some summer pruning here soon.

Completely moved a trellis, about 2 feet south. The idea was to expose a few wines to earlier sunshine, and overall better exposure. Amazing how the suns rays pass over different trees and take different angles from March till June. Some of my vines have 11 hours of light, others have 6-7 hours.

Planted a few vines in large planters. One Chambourcin and one Auxerrois. Hope to add 1-2 more vines next year.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 316
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/4/2013 7:34:30 PM   
champagneinhand

I have Chards flowering , but still waiting on the last row of PG. I found a vine that is growing from discarded fruit from last year. I thought it was a Chard, but it is FG. I need to dig it up, as it in an azalea bush, but growing massively for a little first year. I just don't know where to put the little hermaphrodite. I also found a tomato growing from dead fruit that got into the soil. Almost the same place as the vine. me thinks a bird was dining on my stuff and sat to long on the picket fence. Nice overall day. Didn't get spraying done, but it has another week before I really need it again. I do wan't more prevention from the beetles as I have 3 first years know. Calling the captain.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 317
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/6/2013 7:18:16 PM   
lafeeverted

Flowering has begun but so has the nasty storm. I rushed home to try to beat the rain and tried to get a spray in just as it was starting. I may have arrived too late , hopefully I will not pay the price.

Post #: 318
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/6/2013 9:34:00 PM   
champagneinhand

Nasty cold rains over the last 24 hours and have had 2" and some local flooding. It hasn't come out of the 50's today and my bottom row has waterlogged roots. Supposed to be more of the same tomorrow. Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be decent. I'm glad I got some more fungicide on the vines as more cool and rain on Mon-Tuesday. I didn't get the lawn cut and things are getting higher, grass and weeds alike. This isn't a good start to the warming moths. I can't believe there is a tropical storm already. Hopefully we won't see more rain from it.

Post #: 319
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/7/2013 4:57:56 PM   
khmark7

Rain almost every day (or night) with cooler temps in the 60's and low 70's. So far I have been able to spray every 10 days or so, but am concerned about spray rotation come August. Vines growing very quickly with all the daily rain. Really amazing how much vigor vines like Frontenac or Niagara possess.

Flowering continues.

Post #: 320
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/9/2013 1:17:23 PM   
lafeeverted

Vine vigor is out of control. I have shoots that need to be cropped at the top and with new growth sprouting to the sides.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 321
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/9/2013 3:46:02 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

Vine vigor is out of control. I have shoots that need to be cropped at the top and with new growth sprouting to the sides.

I'm in much the same position. I will just keep picking the ends off until July. Then I will choose which shoots to crop off and which leaves to thin. I really don't want more than 14-18 cluster groups per vine. Probably 1 and maybe 2 per shoot depending on thickness and wire support. July should show a bit of juice in the berries and I'll be able to judge how to maintain the canopy. I think this is one of growings biggest challenges. Once you cut them off, they are gone for the year.

Post #: 322
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/9/2013 6:47:43 PM   
lafeeverted

A lot of what i am cutting off has no fruit or clusters that have already dropped. I have on side of a vine that produced no fruit at all. I swear at this time of year you could almost see the vines grow by the hour!

Post #: 323
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/10/2013 3:38:09 AM   
khmark7

Already having berry set on a few vines. Loads of canopy that needs to be managed. Waiting to see if my St. Pepin was pollinated by the surrounding vines. It is one of the very few commercial grapes that need a pollinator. St Pepin has good flavor, but I am worried that I don't have enough vine density around it to pollinate the flowers, so I am trialing this variety to see if it works.

Oh, and more rain last night. Will have to spray yet again this week.

Post #: 324
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/10/2013 3:29:51 PM   
champagneinhand

Cool wet day, that started warm and moist. Can you say perfect weather for fungus. There were loads of mushrooms in the lawn when I mowed yesterday. Not Good!!

I think that I will stick with Immunox right now, as it stays for 2 weeks and doesn't wash away. When this crap moves on in a few day, I will switch to sulphur. I'm still wondering if the sulfur will cause leaf burn on the Frontenac. Maybe I'll do a test on the rogue FG that started growing outside of my grapes, as I have no room for it anywhere.

2 loads of netting came in this week. 2 setts that are 75' x 14'. I will need to cut them in half, but should provide bird prevention after shoot and leaf thinning.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 325
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/10/2013 6:27:32 PM   
lafeeverted

so much rain. not looking good

Post #: 326
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/10/2013 6:34:24 PM   
khmark7

Will be spraying again this week, but still deciding on which spray to use. With all my different vines I might need to take several passes through the yard with different sprays...

Will report back on sulfur vs Frontenac.

Post #: 327
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/13/2013 7:28:40 AM   
lafeeverted

More heavy rain, storms today. What a mess.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 328
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/16/2013 7:37:06 PM   
khmark7

Vines are still growing in my yard, some ridiculously so. I felt that I may have left too many shoots on my Marechal Foch, but I have some shoots that are already 5 feet long! Grape clusters taking shape, and they look good at the moment.

Was up in Michigan and their vines are way behind where I am at. Their vines have yet to flower, and they are allowing fewer shoots to grow and still they have less growth. Guessing that the poor sandy soil in most areas don't allow the vines to overgrow like what I am seeing in my yard. One of the vineyards was growing some table grapes outside their tasting room patio (most likely Niagara) and those vines were very advanced compared to the vineyards, so it is difficult to judge.

Right now I am trying to decide how many clusters to keep. Do I keep more clusters in an effort to slow down vine growth, or do I cut back to 1 cluster per shoot on my young vines, despite the rampant growth??? My vines are all 3-4 yr vines. I am guessing that they can handle 2 clusters on strong shoots.

Post #: 329
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 6/16/2013 8:12:56 PM   
champagneinhand

Yes, the shoot growth is out of control. As is the cool wet weather. We did get over 80F today after the rain ended. messed up our golf plans.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Growing Your Own Grapes Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI