CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Growing Your Own Grapes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Growing Your Own Grapes Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/12/2017 3:55:59 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

Just finished this read. Lengthy, but may appeal to those who grow their own....

https://www.guildsomm.com/public_content/features/features/b/elaine-chukan-brown/posts/marginal-climate-viticulture

Cheers!

I have purchased a few books on the subject and i do find it interesting and a proper learning experience growing so many different varieties just in my yard. Growing grapes also keeps you on your toes with the weather.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 901
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/12/2017 7:13:39 AM   
mercurius

In the spring I planted half a dozen Nortons and half a dozen Pinot Noirs in Hocking Hills region of Ohio. Planning on expanding the plantings from cuttings every year. We have 85 acres in Hocking Hills. I planted along a ridge with southeast facing exposure. The soil had about 6 inches of clay with sandstone pebbles and shale under. Probably going to be a few years 'til there is much of a crop.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 902
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/13/2017 2:32:34 PM   
Vino Me

quote:

ORIGINAL: mercurius
In the spring I planted half a dozen Nortons and half a dozen Pinot Noirs in Hocking Hills region of Ohio. Planning on expanding the plantings from cuttings every year. We have 85 acres in Hocking Hills. I planted along a ridge with southeast facing exposure. The soil had about 6 inches of clay with sandstone pebbles and shale under. Probably going to be a few years 'til there is much of a crop.

Good luck with your vines. Keep us posted.

VM

(in reply to mercurius)
Post #: 903
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/14/2017 3:56:29 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: mercurius

SE Ohio is easily warm enough for Norton, not sure about the clay soil with Norton however, but i am curious how cold the winters get in that area?? Pinot Noir won't do to well if it gets much below -5 degrees or so and the warm humid summers will most definitely require a solid spray program.

I have a few methods for winter protection of the vinifera vines if you are interested.

Growing for fun? Grape jelly? Wine?

(in reply to mercurius)
Post #: 904
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/17/2017 3:48:09 PM   
mercurius

Hope to make wine but have a feeling it's going to be more of a learning process than I think. I was thinking of trying to do a blanc de noirs type of thing for the first decade and a pinot/norton red blend later on. Already built deer cages around the plants (which was the first problem I encountered). SE Ohio hasn't had a hard winter for a few years, so we'll see; here's to global warming. I have a plant biology undergrad, so I should be good on most aspects of pest management. I've had some good German Pinots that were grown on sandstone, so that was my impetus. The vines I bought said they were okay for one growing region farther north than me.

One advantage to Ohio is Kentucky still has many cooperages that are cheaper than any others I've ever seen. Until prohibition, Ohio used to make the most wine in the nation. It was along the river just east of Cincy though, which has limestone soil. If you want to ever give Ohio wine a taste, I would recommend Kinkead Ridge or Maple Ridge, respectively. I'm in it just for fun.

< Message edited by mercurius -- 8/1/2017 1:16:26 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 905
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/20/2017 5:40:53 PM   
khmark7

Surprisingly i'm seeing veraison on a Midwestern variety of seedless grapes known as Trollhaugen, plus several other varieties. It would appear that i will need to begin pulling leaves and cutting back growth in preparation for bird netting here soon.

Merlot & Cabernet Sauvignon should be starting veraison here soon, likely before the end of July.

< Message edited by khmark7 -- 7/20/2017 5:49:51 PM >

(in reply to mercurius)
Post #: 906
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/24/2017 9:41:36 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Growing for fun? Grape jelly? Wine?

Hey Karl, Can you explain how you approach grape jelly/jam made from your grapes? We went to our farmers market yesterday where one of the stands had Cab Sauv, Chardonnay, and Merlot jellies (all very nice, flavorful and well done) and I'm thinking about a side batch or two this fall. Any words of wisdom appreciated! Thanks

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 907
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/24/2017 12:34:37 PM   
RobRah

Our local supermarket here (Waitrose - a kind of "posh" one) do Merlot juice...... wondered whether it's tasty, as most wine grapes just aren't very.

My CT Profile

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 908
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/24/2017 9:04:02 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

Surprisingly i'm seeing veraison on a Midwestern variety of seedless grapes known as Trollhaugen, plus several other varieties. It would appear that i will need to begin pulling leaves and cutting back growth in preparation for bird netting here soon.

Merlot & Cabernet Sauvignon should be starting veraison here soon, likely before the end of July.

Wow. I was going to message you to see how the vines were doing. We have had a very wet and humid year. Yet the vines have been on a very good growing spurt though it's slowed. Tons of berries on the Chardonnay but I've had to pluck quite a few berries as there has been some black rot, but with bi-weekly spraying of antifungals i think I am past the powdery mildew worries. I even have some fruit on the few Riesling vines, but it will probably end up as critter snacks.

The briar berries and apple tees in the neighboring woodlands are chalk full of fruit so the critters have been kept at bay. As I walk the dog I see Concord grape vines doing battle with black raspberry vines for space and sunlight everywhere.

Theeet,es gave not been bad this year. I've on,y sprayed twice the mosquitoes and gnats have been bothersome, but controllable. I have all but the top lines of the trellis done, on the bottom 2 rows. My backyard looks more like the micro vineyard I almost forgot. Our raspberries have had a banter year. We already have enough for a large batch of preserves and the bushes still have plenty of fruit that needs picking. That doesn't include the raspberries that only produce fruit in September in which we will have more than enough for another batch of preserves.

I am just so thrilled to see the Riesling I thought list flourishing. They are 4 year olds, so I am hoping next year I will have enough fruit to once again make just over 24 bottles of Riesling without supplementing with Finger Lake juice.

Glad to see that you have veraison just around the corner. I think another few weeks on the Chardonnay though I like the size of the fruit at this stage. Probably a few weeks after that I should get the few Riesling clusters starting to turn translucent. I expect harvest fairly late this year just because of the wet weather though. Though once veraison kicks in it's all about Brie and acids.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 909
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/26/2017 5:56:15 AM   
khmark7

Dave - veraison is in full swing here. I placed the bird netting on Monday, and i sprayed for those darn beetles again this morning. Despite our recent hot & rainy weather the vines look good and the clusters have been clean. I did some shoot thinning and leaf pulling prior to the netting, but it's so much work that i am sure i missed something.

Goals for this year are a few batches of jelly and making a red wine from the Frontenac, Chelois & ?? Should be able to make a white wine as well. Curious if i will have enough fruit to make a small batch of wine from my vinifera....

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 910
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/26/2017 8:54:49 AM   
Vino Me

quote:

Goals for this year are a few batches of jelly and making a red wine from the Frontenac, Chelois & ?? Should be able to make a white wine as well. Curious if i will have enough fruit to make a small batch of wine from my vinifera....

How many bottles do you normally get from your vines?

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 911
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/26/2017 10:37:43 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vino Me

quote:

How many bottles do you normally get from your vines?

VM

This year....probably a 5 gallon carboy + 3 gallon + 1 gallon, so maybe 45 bottles. Last year i also purchased some grapes and made a Zinfandel blend.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 912
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/26/2017 10:39:10 AM   
khmark7

Dave - i would also add that we are nearing the end of the time where black rot is a concern, but i always felt that powdery mildew was a late summer occurrence for me.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 913
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 7/26/2017 12:38:14 PM   
champagneinhand

Luckily my Chardonnay grapes are not in super tight clusters any longer. That helps against the powdery mildew.

As far as wine grape juice. Syrah is amazing. I think it's much better than Concord as just a grape juice. I bought a 5 gallon pail of CA Syrah and wished I had more tonjust drink straight. Chardonnay grapes are amazingly tasty but have pretty high acid. You pay in heartburn but I would sip the juice any day.

Riesling is also tasty as is Pinot Gris but both make good jelly and can be snacked on if you don't mind seeds.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 914
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/9/2017 4:19:26 AM   
khmark7

slow veraison this year, but i can see some of the seedless varieties are almost ripe. Still having raccoon damage, as it only takes one critter to eat up a whole vine overnight. Growing vines on a fence or anything the raccoons can climb is not recommended.

Merlot, Cab Franc & Cabernet Sauvignon taking their sweet time going through veraison. I did some leaf pulling before putting the bird netting up, but now i just have to wait.

Post #: 915
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/9/2017 5:58:56 AM   
lafeeverted

This year was lost for me. New job responsibilities started in spring and I missed critical spraying cycles. Lost more than. Half to rot by July and gave up.... frustrating to say the least. There is always next year!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 916
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/9/2017 10:17:51 AM   
Vino Me

Veraison on my Pinot Noir vines started about a week ago. They were up to 10 brix last weekend.

VM

(in reply to lafeeverted)
Post #: 917
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/9/2017 11:15:22 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Veraison on my Pinot Noir vines started about a week ago. They were up to 10 brix last weekend.

VM

Same out here on the color change for PN. Didn't test Brix but tasted a few this morning. They taste like grapes!

My other varieties are all still green...

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 918
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/9/2017 11:35:15 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

VM

Same out here on the color change for PN. Didn't test Brix but tasted a few this morning. They taste like grapes!

My other varieties are all still green...

quote:

They taste like grapes!

And not filet mignon?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 919
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/9/2017 12:22:44 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Not acidic bee-bees.

Or Filet Mignon.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 920
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/9/2017 5:44:12 PM   
khmark7

No rot in my yard, and really no black rot or mildew either....rain has been heavy at times, but with dry periods in between and i've been on top of the spray program. Kind of proud of myself for growing vinifera in our climate that isn't covered in some fungus.

Post #: 921
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/10/2017 8:20:58 AM   
Vino Me

I've had more problem with black rot this year than in the past. No mildew problems though.

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 922
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/16/2017 4:13:00 AM   
khmark7

Veraison dragging along, even in varieties that have good sun exposure. Maybe it's our lack of rainfall?? or perhaps because my vines are maturing and veraison takes longer??

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 923
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/16/2017 10:35:52 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Slow ripening is a good thing.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 924
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/19/2017 9:37:10 AM   
champagneinhand

I finally put up the rest of my trellis on all rows. I went through and purged all vines of excess shoots, while thinning almost every leaf with mildew. It's been such a wet year. I do have almost all vines being trained to stay straight and to one stalk as we head towards Autumn.

Most of the Riesling are shoulder height now and are in the training process. I will just have a few good clusters of edible grapes, but really I didn't expect any.

On the critter front, we have a new family if foxes just down the street. They seem to be targeting all the bunnies, hooray! The birds are another matter. Next year I will have to put up bird netting much earlier than verasion. I expect to have the netting catch plenty of birds, chipmunks and other critters that don't wise up.

It's been a banter year fir the raspberries though.

In the woods on our street there are five large feral apples trees that have been dropping apples now for a couple weeks. This has the new deer and rabbits steering clear with the fox keeping watch too.

A neighbor on the next street contracted Lyme disease from a deer tick while messing around in her soil. Of course she posted a sign blaming dog walkers without any knowledge of the animal population or the bounty of fruit from apples, wild black raspberries and Concord grapes everywhere. She think people are leaving carrots near her yard. Yep, paranoid old folks. I walk the streets 2-3 times a day and have never seen anybody putting out veggies fir the wildlife. I have seen a few great blue herons in the close drainage ponds. Beautiful creatures. So sleek from a profile but they look like a teradactyl when flying above you shortly after getting airborne.

Overall I'm happy with the progress. I need to order about 8-10 new Riesling vines, but I am expecting a very harsh Winter here. I might need more, but the fact that it takes them up to 5 years to produce enough fruit for winemaking has me thinking about adding some Vidal blanc to the mix.

I wish all you growers a bountiful harvest. I hope this years bumidity didn't ruin your crop. I just couldn't spray enough sulfur, copper sulfate or synthetic fungicida to make much of a difference. Looking forward to the next season. Driveway will be resurfaced next week if the pavers don't postpone again. Next year will be external house paining. The Blues of living in a windy, salty, snow belt.

Post #: 925
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/19/2017 10:10:33 AM   
dsGris

Wrong thread, but I do have a vine taking over my deck arbor that will have to be moved when the deck is expanded.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 8/19/2017 10:15:16 AM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 926
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/24/2017 6:50:46 PM   
khmark7

Ripening continues here. Picked some early white wine grapes today, and some of my juice grapes were magically converted into grape jelly this morning. Still have a ways to go on several vines, so my daily trapping of raccoons continues. My yard is like raccoon Stalingrad.

Grapes look healthy overall, mostly because of our outstanding weather this month, opposite to last year, so i am happy that mildew for the most part is staying away. Powdery Mildew at this time of year isn't uncommon....but with the grapes so close to final picking it's not worth spraying again.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 927
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/25/2017 12:28:53 PM   
PinotPhile

Chris, wondering about the impact of the OR Chetco fire on your vineyard and those of others. Apparently it is quite the wildfire, so hope you and yours are, above all, safe.

Cautious Cheers!

Post #: 928
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/25/2017 1:49:27 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

Chris, wondering about the impact of the OR Chetco fire on your vineyard and those of others. Apparently it is quite the wildfire, so hope you and yours are, above all, safe.

Cautious Cheers!

Wildfires are annual occurrence in the west, and we are currently watching closest one to us ~40 miles west of us as the crow flies on north east flank of Mount Rainier at Norse Peak. http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local/norse-peak-fire-may-still-be-burning-in-the-fall/article_c07abc6c-8686-11e7-a8a1-1b7a50b1c785.html

Our vineyard is fine, and really most of the smoke now is going north of us, nothing as bad as about a month ago when smoke from fires in BC were being blown south. But even then no threat of smoke taint.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 929
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 8/25/2017 4:07:05 PM   
PinotPhile

Thanks, Chris. Happy to hear things are copacetic. As copacetic as growing grapes can be, that is.

Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Growing Your Own Grapes Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI