CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Cayuse almost on the list

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cayuse almost on the list Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
[Poll]

Cayuse

1-3 years
  48% (48)
4-6 years
  21% (21)
Seems like forever
  31% (31)

Total Votes : 100

(last vote on : 10/24/2023 10:59:39 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 7/24/2017 3:40:34 PM   
recotte

I sent Cayuse an email today to update my contact information with them. When they responded to confirm the updates, they kindly let me know that I had signed up for the waiting list on 3/8/2011, and I should probably get an allocation in another 2-3 years.

<sigh>

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 151
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 7/24/2017 6:45:13 PM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

I sent Cayuse an email today to update my contact information with them. When they responded to confirm the updates, they kindly let me know that I had signed up for the waiting list on 3/8/2011, and I should probably get an allocation in another 2-3 years.

<sigh>

I think we're about a year behind you.

I'm not holding my breath. Plus I imagine it takes another few years to get to the Frog.

That being said, I look forward to saying 'yes'. And appreciate that even with the high demand they seem to have kept list prices quite reasonable.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 152
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 9/21/2018 7:26:51 AM   
ccotton8

Oh Happy Day!

8 years 1 month 10 days 5 hours 20 minutes...I have made the list! I have no idea what i'll be allocated but it will be one three pack of something.

Yay boo yay boo, some say yay and some say boo.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 153
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 9/22/2018 11:02:35 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ccotton8

Oh Happy Day!

8 years 1 month 10 days 5 hours 20 minutes...I have made the list! I have no idea what i'll be allocated but it will be one three pack of something.

Congrats!

I just did my first real Cayuse Inventory in...well...ever. Now off to the I Suck at CT thread...

(in reply to ccotton8)
Post #: 154
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 9/25/2018 3:19:37 PM   
brettlaurvick

For what it's worth, my first allocation was for the 2011 vintage and I received the Cailloux only. It will increase every year as long as you add wines to your wish list.
The most sought after wines are obviously the Bionic Frog, Flying Pig and Widowmaker. I was told by a credible source that they actually time your orders to establish rankings among customers who are newly allocated wines.
So it matters how quickly check out when the release starts.
After 7 years on the list I just received my first allocation of Bionic Frog, but it came via Wish List after I made my normal purchase this year. Still no Pig or Widowmaker yet. Hopefully next year.

Brett Laurvick

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 155
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 9/25/2018 3:27:27 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

<sigh>

Nothing this year, so I suppose I'm now in the 1-2 year zone to get an allocation.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 156
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 9/25/2018 4:02:41 PM   
SteveG

quote:

($55 +12.75) * 1.12 = $69.28

I suppose it is a little late to point this out, but the above comutes to 75.88, FWIW

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 157
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 9/26/2018 1:46:00 PM   
motoring

quote:

ORIGINAL: brettlaurvick

For what it's worth, my first allocation was for the 2011 vintage and I received the Cailloux only. It will increase every year as long as you add wines to your wish list.
The most sought after wines are obviously the Bionic Frog, Flying Pig and Widowmaker. I was told by a credible source that they actually time your orders to establish rankings among customers who are newly allocated wines.
So it matters how quickly check out when the release starts.
After 7 years on the list I just received my first allocation of Bionic Frog, but it came via Wish List after I made my normal purchase this year. Still no Pig or Widowmaker yet. Hopefully next year.

Brett Laurvick

We got the Frog via the wishlist this year as well

(in reply to brettlaurvick)
Post #: 158
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 9/26/2018 5:18:17 PM   
ccotton8

I was allocated the Cailloux and the Wallah Walllah Mag. I wishlisted a few GOK, Armada, Vio, and BF. We’ll see if anything additional shows up.

Yay boo yay boo, some say yay and some say boo.

(in reply to motoring)
Post #: 159
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/11/2019 6:34:31 PM   
nyccablover

Just got my annual “No soup for you email” - like clockwork, patiently waiting since 2011☹️

Palates may change, but CT handles are forever!

(in reply to ccotton8)
Post #: 160
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/11/2019 7:20:02 PM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: nyccablover

Just got my annual “No soup for you email” - like clockwork, patiently waiting since 2011☹️

I was coming to post the same thing. I was a March 2012 sign up.

(in reply to nyccablover)
Post #: 161
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/11/2019 7:41:06 PM   
mclancy10006

I can't even recall when I signed up for the list. It was a good long while ago, but before 2012 as I was still in NYC. That is 3 jobs and 2 cities since then! Now it is just a curiosity as to when/if it happens.

-Mark

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 162
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 12:17:04 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: nyccablover

I signed up in March, 2011. In mid-2017, they let me know that I was 2-3 years out on the waiting list, so maybe next year.

Maybe.

(in reply to nyccablover)
Post #: 163
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 4:18:34 AM   
S1

Oct 2011
No soup email yesterday

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 164
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 5:25:19 AM   
Poppacork

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

Oct 2011
No soup email yesterday

It’s available locally if you don’t want to wait on the list.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 165
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 7:26:16 AM   
brettlaurvick

Someone will move up the list as I will likely drop a Syrah or two from my list this year. My fingers will be crossed for Flying Pig and Widowmaker.
The disheartening part of the Cayuse wait is that even when you finally do get to purchase you have to wait another full year to receive them as they operate as futures.

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 166
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 7:41:32 AM   
Paul852

A quick look on winesearcher suggests that Cayuse Flying Pig is reasonably widely available. I really don't understand this mailing list thing. Can someone please explain the attraction to me?

(in reply to brettlaurvick)
Post #: 167
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 7:50:25 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poppacork

quote:

Oct 2011
No soup email yesterday

not the one I want
quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

A quick look on winesearcher suggests that Cayuse Flying Pig is reasonably widely available. I really don't understand this mailing list thing. Can someone please explain the attraction to me?

I think Pig and Frog, while available, are significantly more expensive on the secondary market. Mnny lists are like that (Scarecrow, MACDONALD, Schrader...).
I support some lists because I want to support the family winery directly, and want guaranteed provenance (Continuum, Drinkward-Peschon, Lewelling).

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 168
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 7:51:34 AM   
CranBurgundy

Maybe the hectic "ohmygodit'sunubobtainiumIgottahaveit!" craze is fading.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 169
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 8:10:18 AM   
brettlaurvick

Rarely do you see winery prices on Cayuse from a retailer or online. Flying Pig is $90/bottle x 3 from winery on last release. I see a single bottle of 2016 FP on WineBid for $150.
Also, I prefer the original 3 packs instead of single bottles.

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 170
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 10:20:34 AM   
mjobtx

I was on the list but the list is graduated. I had no allocation of the wines that I really wanted so I quit buying stuff I didn't want and dropped off the list. I despise these types of lists and I refuse to participate.

PlanoWino

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 171
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 12:00:11 PM   
Poppacork

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oct 2011
No soup email yesterday

not the one I want

Which one are you looking for? I’ve seen the Frog, the Pig, Camaspelo, Cerise, Chamberlin, and Cailloux on local shelves. That doesn’t leave too many others.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 172
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 5:23:30 PM   
S1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oct 2011
No soup email yesterday

not the one I want

Which one are you looking for? I’ve seen the Frog, the Pig, Camaspelo, Cerise, Chamberlin, and Cailloux on local shelves. That doesn’t leave too many others.

It's about the markup

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 173
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/12/2019 8:56:07 PM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjobtx

I was on the list but the list is graduated. I had no allocation of the wines that I really wanted so I quit buying stuff I didn't want and dropped off the list. I despise these types of lists and I refuse to participate.

+1 other than I never tried to join this list instead buying off of WineWave's list.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 174
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/13/2019 7:37:59 AM   
BornToRhone

I received my yearly email as well but I just kinda blew by it (not caring) for three reasons...
1) I can get the occasional bottle off the secondary market - I currently have 4 bottles in my cellar.
2) As mentioned already, I am not a fan of buying lesser wines indefinitely to get to the wines you really want, and
3) I buy Reynvaan and Rotie which I like even more for various reasons (Reynvaan acidity and Rotie QPR).

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 175
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/13/2019 7:51:30 AM   
CHLT CTer

I got my yearly rejection letter this weekend. I’m actually no longer interested in being added since my palate has shifted. Plus all the Cayuse wines are available in retail stores. Even the Bionic Frog.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 176
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/13/2019 8:02:41 AM   
mye

The idea of being forced into buying lesser wines to get better ones just isn’t true here.

There are people who get pig or frog as their first 3 pack offering. Kinda luck of the draw. Obviously way more demand for frog so odds are stacked a bit.

And the “lesser” wines would be flagship quality wines at most other WA wineries.

That said I too have cut way down to 1 3pack last year and will have to consider if I want to continue that given palate shift.

< Message edited by mye -- 1/13/2019 8:03:13 AM >

(in reply to CHLT CTer)
Post #: 177
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/13/2019 9:22:58 AM   
mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

The idea of being forced into buying lesser wines to get better ones just isn’t true here.

There are people who get pig or frog as their first 3 pack offering. Kinda luck of the draw. Obviously way more demand for frog so odds are stacked a bit.

And the “lesser” wines would be flagship quality wines at most other WA wineries.

That said I too have cut way down to 1 3pack last year and will have to consider if I want to continue that given palate shift.

mye, it may not be true for you or some of your friends. It certainly was true for me. For 2 years, I was offered only one mine. The next 2 years, I was offered 2 wines one of which was the carryover of the wine for the first two years. Personally, I was not willing to wait two more years to see what they might or might not add to my potential allocation. Cayuse may have changed since I dropped them quite some years ago but they lost me by playing the lesser wine game with me. I want to make the selection. Random and limited does not work for me.

PlanoWino

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 178
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/13/2019 12:35:40 PM   
mye

Well 5 years in and I don’t have frog. So not me either ;)

My point this two folds. 1. This isn’t like kosta brown where u are forced to buy appellation wine for 5-6 years until u are offered single vineyard. 2. There isn’t really lesser wines with Cayuse.

On point 1:
Here you have to buy just 1 3 pack. If u don’t like it. U can wishlist others. And then u can drop the 1st one.
So u just have to buy one 3 pack.per year. While wishlistkng frog or whatever it is u realllly want.

If the ONlY thing u want is frog. Then yah. That’s a bummer. But I mean there would be lots of people who want that.

When u say u got added a 2nd wine. U weren’t forced right? U wishlisted that 2nd wine. And now u can drop ur 1st one. While u wait for other stuff on ur list. I think their process is pretty fair.

On point 2:
If u have palate shift and don’t like the style anymore. That’s a different story
If you like WA Syrah. I don’t know if their regular syrahs are “lesser”. Maybe marginally. The armada and to an extent Chamberlin are pretty damn great. Even the caillpux and cerise are tasty most years.

We have done several Cayuse horizontals / tastings with the Seattle group. I’m pretty sure the frog has never come out on top as WOtN. Doesn’t mean it’s not excellent. Just that other wines they make are high flagship quality stuff.

< Message edited by mye -- 1/13/2019 12:38:28 PM >

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 179
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 1/14/2019 7:16:38 AM   
lockestep

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

I received my yearly email as well but I just kinda blew by it (not caring) for three reasons...
1) I can get the occasional bottle off the secondary market - I currently have 4 bottles in my cellar.
2) As mentioned already, I am not a fan of buying lesser wines indefinitely to get to the wines you really want, and
3) I buy Reynvaan and Rotie which I like even more for various reasons (Reynvaan acidity and Rotie QPR).

I also received my no soup letter,5th annual. And I also am quite fine with Reynvaan and Rotie for now. Did find a bottle of Cailloux in Minneapolis last year, so I do have a placeholder in the cellar.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cayuse almost on the list Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI