CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 6/26/2017 10:13:50 AM   
BRR

2014 AF Nichols Pinor Noir Willamette Valley

I bought this from Full Pull for $14.99. With respect to CranBurgundy's great recommendation on the Seaside Pinot Noir NZ, I prefer this. They're both good, but this is ridiculous for $15.

Cheers!

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 541
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 6/26/2017 11:09:51 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

2014 AF Nichols Pinor Noir Willamette Valley

I'll check it out. First, is it the basic PN or is that the Bieze or Lillie's version? Second, I didn't see it on WineSearcher. Can you link me to it (via PM if possible).

We just had Johnson Family Vineyar's 2014 PN and it was pretty darn good too. Right in the same price range as well.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 542
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 6/27/2017 8:13:05 AM   
BRR

It's the regular Willamette Valley bottling. I just did a W-S search and I only see the 2015. I just emailed Full Pull to see if they had any more, and if they'd forward me the offering email, so I can post info. I do like that Seaside Cellars PN a lot, too, Cran. Just goes to show: that stuff doesn't have to be crazy expensive!

Cheers!

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 543
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 6/27/2017 8:37:40 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Just goes to show: that stuff doesn't have to be crazy expensive!

Absolutely true. It just takes a little patience and willingness to sample a lot of sub-$20 duds to mine a gem or two.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 544
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 6/27/2017 3:47:01 PM   
doc2

BRR, it was the May 19 email.

I suspect DP won't mind me pasting it here.

I bought a bottle then and got some more based on your comments. I'm on the east coast so my bottles won't ship until the fall.

Thanks!

Hello friends. Some of our best offers over the years have come from leads courtesy of our Vast Network of Wine Spies (VNoWS)™. And among the vast network, these is one particular spy who has brought us deal after exceptional deal. He is a winemaker in his own right. Also a karaoke savant. A purveyor of meadowfoam honey. A new dad.

Among the deals he has helped to broker over the years: last year’s trio of Andrew Rich library wines. Also the August Cellars wines we offered back in late 2015 and early 2016. That one is especially important, because that 2012 August Cellars Willamette Valley Pinot has been the most popular fifteen-dollar Oregon Pinot we’ve ever offered, a position that I expect to be usurped by today’s wine:

2014 AF Nichols Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - $15.99 (TPU $14.99)

This is normally a $22 wine. Here’s how the deal went went down. On March 30, I received the following e-mail:

My name is Alex Nichols. I own a small label based in Newberg, OR called A. F. Nichols producing about 1000 cases of Pinot noir each vintage. [WINE SPY] is a good friend of mine and suggested I reach out to you about sending a few samples your way. I have a couple of wines that I would love to show you and I think they would be a good fit with what you guys are doing at Full Pull.

A bit about me and my winemaking style: I started my brand in 2010, and at that point I was the youngest winemaker in the state. I started with just 125 cases and have slowly grown over to producing about 1000 cases each vintage for myself as well as a couple of small clients. I graduated from Oregon State University with a degree in Enology & Viticulture and have worked at a number of wineries in Oregon including Adelsheim, Chehalem Winery, and Argyle Winery where I am currently the Enologist.

While my background and training is more technical, my own winemaking style is more driven by intuition and taste. I don't consider myself a natural winemaker, but I suppose my practices fall in line. All of my wines are fermented with native yeasts, unfined, unfiltered, and have minimal sulfite additions. I include whole clusters in all of my ferments ranging from 10-50%. All of my ferments are punched down by hand and commonly by foot, and my wines rarely see a pump before bottling. I try to craft wines that reflect the vineyard and vintage, and I like being able to sell them for a reasonable price. Please let me know if you are interested and I will make sure I can get some samples sent your way.

On April 12, we cracked the samples and were blown away by the quality for the price being offered. I reached out to our spy, to inquire further about why these wines were so excellent, and here was his response (I’ll exclude the emojis): He’s the real deal. Alex has ridiculously good Pinot contracts, those that rival any premium producer. His wines show restraint over extraction, so I’ve always been a fan. Plus they’re often well-priced, below market average.

On April 17, I made Alex an offer to buy out every single bottle of all the wines we tasted.

On April 27, the wine arrived safely in our warehouse.

And here we are on May 19 with an offer. Fifty days from start to finish.

I don’t want to be too hyperbolic, especially because having two kids in three years has completely shot my memory. So I won’t say this is the best Pinot deal we have ever offered, because who the hell can remember what we offered five years ago, but I will say it’s the best in recent (admittedly addled) memory. We’ve all had those moments of optimistically cracking a fifteen dollar Oregon Pinot, only to be bitterly disappointed by the juice inside. That experience is consistent with, hmmm… nine out of every ten Pinots at that price point? So when you taste a really excellent version like this, it gets the blood pumping for sure.

This 2014 comes from Alex’s sites scattered across the Willamette Valley. It clocks in at 13.8% listed alc and begins with a dark aromatic fruit profile: blackberries and plums, resinous forest floor, and dark brewed coffee. Very true to Oregon. The palate is seductive as hell, all suppleness and succulence. The texture is pillowy-soft, offering a seamless glide path from front of palate to back, carrying waves of resinous fruit and mineral subtleties along the way. What I particularly like about this wine is its ability to charm both camps of wine drinkers. It has the open deliciousness (thank you 2014 vintage) to please the pleasure-seekers, and the complexity and elegance to please the thinkers. It’s a wine that punches well above its price class: a very good deal at the $21.99 price I see elsewhere, and just outrageous at our tag today.

Post #: 545
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 6/27/2017 4:27:28 PM   
CranBurgundy

So the question remains how do I get my hands on a bottle to try?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to doc2)
Post #: 546
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 6/27/2017 5:54:09 PM   
RedRedMoreRed

+1

Post #: 547
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 6/28/2017 10:01:45 AM   
BRR

I emailed FP to ask, and they're all sold out of the 2014, unfortunately. Looks like the 2015 is around the same price on W-S so, given the quality of 2015 so far, I'd pull the trigger without hesitation. This place in Portland is selling it for $16: http://wineshop.linerandelsen.com/af-nichols-pinot-noir-willamette-valley-2015-p2369.aspx

< Message edited by BRR -- 6/28/2017 10:03:34 AM >

Cheers!

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 548
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 6/28/2017 11:05:31 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

I emailed FP to ask, and they're all sold out of the 2014, unfortunately. Looks like the 2015 is around the same price on W-S so, given the quality of 2015 so far, I'd pull the trigger without hesitation. This place in Portland is selling it for $16: http://wineshop.linerandelsen.com/af-nichols-pinot-noir-willamette-valley-2015-p2369.aspx

Nuts. The 2014 vintage is softer and more to our preference. Thanks for checking!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 549
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 7/7/2017 2:52:42 PM   
Redrunners

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

2014 Seaside Cellars Marlborough PN (New Zealand) - this officially rang the death knell for domestic Pinot Noir. If the Kiwis can do PN this good, and keep it UNDER $10 even after shipping it halfway around the planet, why would I want to pay 4 times as much for stemmy over-oaked plonk?

Ryebrook wines has this on sale for $7.99.
Have tried several times - great value for a solid pinot.

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

Post #: 550
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 7/7/2017 7:18:42 PM   
peeks13

quote:

2014 Seaside Cellars Marlborough PN (New Zealand) - this officially rang the death knell for domestic Pinot Noir. If the Kiwis can do PN this good, and keep it UNDER $10 even after shipping it halfway around the planet, why would I want to pay 4 times as much for stemmy over-oaked plonk?

Noticed Costco point of purchase on this via comments...anyone know the SKU so I can see if it's around town?

Thanks

Post #: 551
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/11/2017 10:27:15 AM   
BRR

While this doesn't fit the thread, necessarily, based on the OP, it's germane to the few posts immediately prior to this one. Full Pull just sent out an email for the next step-up from the AF Nichols WV Pinot Noir. It's for the 2011 A.F. Nichols Pinot Noir Principio, and it's $19.99 (down from the original $40, apparently). Just thought I'd update, even though it's not under $15. Go for it, CranBurgundy!!!

Cheers!

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 552
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/11/2017 11:05:24 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

While this doesn't fit the thread, necessarily, based on the OP, it's germane to the few posts immediately prior to this one. Full Pull just sent out an email for the next step-up from the AF Nichols WV Pinot Noir. It's for the 2011 A.F. Nichols Pinot Noir Principio, and it's $19.99 (down from the original $40, apparently). Just thought I'd update, even though it's not under $15. Go for it, CranBurgundy!!!

Link?

Thanks!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 553
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/11/2017 3:13:58 PM   
PinotPhile

Any lower-priced ideas welcome. Maybe Smokin' Deals thread? Anyway, always helpful.

Recently: Canyon Wind, Rose' of Merlot, 2015, Grand Valley, CO. Under $13, great summer wine that does not take itself too seriously. Neither did we. Just enjoyed it.

Cheers!

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 554
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/11/2017 5:45:45 PM   
Chip Merlot

2015 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon 50th Anniversary Special Bottling
8/10/2017 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 91 points
For such a young wine, I found this to be really solid. "Solid" is high praise from me--everything is at a really strong level here, fruit, tannin, low acid (I'm not an acid fan)--really enjoyable. Not really complex so I'm not going to venture into high 90s, but really good QPR for me. Going back for more, for sure.

Bonus info for you all: The TN is from night one, after I immediately poured half into an old half-bottle and resealed it. Night 2 was just as good. Smooth as silk, really enjoyable with both spaghetti bolognese and dark chocolate cake. Really nice for $14 in my area.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 555
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/11/2017 9:27:46 PM   
jmcmchi

Le Fervent in Costco (not all branches locally) Costieres de Nimes...nice

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 556
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/12/2017 7:41:07 PM   
AfleetAlex

2014 The Velvet Devil Merlot. I drank it too early, but lay it down for a few years and you won't be disappointed. The chocolate finish is phenomenal.

Trying to amass a dope wine collection to leave to Child #1, 2 and 3, while drinking a little along the way.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 557
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/13/2017 11:56:06 AM   
midpalate

quote:

ORIGINAL: AfleetAlex

2014 The Velvet Devil Merlot. I drank it too early, but lay it down for a few years and you won't be disappointed. The chocolate finish is phenomenal.

I agree. That's a pretty easy-to-find, and reliably good sub-$15 bottle. I also like the rose by the same producer (but I forget what it's called).

(in reply to AfleetAlex)
Post #: 558
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/13/2017 1:56:03 PM   
Blue Shorts

So, after reading your recommendation, I checked the CT reviews and was struck by the following review of the same wine:

Aggressive aromas of dirt, not the good kind. No real varietal characteristics. It's just red. Too funny

The reviews of this wine are all over the place, some very good, some very bad. I wonder if it's due to bottle variation or something else.

(in reply to midpalate)
Post #: 559
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/14/2017 11:35:08 AM   
BRR

quote:

quote:

Link?

Thanks!

https://fullpullwines.com/
You have to sign up to get the email offers. I'm sure if you signed up and then emailed them about the recent AF Nichols offering, they'd gladly send it your way. Here's the text from the emailed offering:

Hello friends. Back in May, we offered the first of two pre-purchased Pinot parcels from AF Nichols. That was Alex Nichols’ 2014 Willamette Valley Pinot, and it turned into one of our most popular offers of the year, and one of our most popular Pinot offers ever. I was initially planning on waiting until Anniversary Week in October to offer parcel number two, but we keep getting reorder requests for the ’14 (which sold out the week we offered it), and there’s clearly interest among our list members to check out more of Alex’s craftsmanship.

Squeaky wheels, meet grease; in the form of a Pinot Noir that began its life with a $40 tag:

2011 AF Nichols Pinot Noir Principio - $22.99 (TPU $19.99)

You may remember that these parcels came to us courtesy of one particular member of Full Pull’s Vast Network of Wine Spies (VNoWS)™ who has brought us deal after exceptional deal. He is a winemaker in his own right. Also a karaoke savant. A purveyor of meadowfoam honey. A new dad.

I’ll reprint the March 30 e-mail detailing how this deal went down:

My name is Alex Nichols. I own a small label based in Newberg, OR called A. F. Nichols producing about 1000 cases of Pinot noir each vintage. [WINE SPY] is a good friend of mine and suggested I reach out to you about sending a few samples your way. I have a couple of wines that I would love to show you and I think they would be a good fit with what you guys are doing at Full Pull.

A bit about me and my winemaking style: I started my brand in 2010, and at that point I was the youngest winemaker in the state. I started with just 125 cases and have slowly grown over to producing about 1000 cases each vintage for myself as well as a couple of small clients. I graduated from Oregon State University with a degree in Enology & Viticulture and have worked at a number of wineries in Oregon including Adelsheim, Chehalem Winery, and Argyle Winery where I am currently the Enologist.

While my background and training is more technical, my own winemaking style is more driven by intuition and taste. I don't consider myself a natural winemaker, but I suppose my practices fall in line. All of my wines are fermented with native yeasts, unfined, unfiltered, and have minimal sulfite additions. I include whole clusters in all of my ferments ranging from 10-50%. All of my ferments are punched down by hand and commonly by foot, and my wines rarely see a pump before bottling. I try to craft wines that reflect the vineyard and vintage, and I like being able to sell them for a reasonable price. Please let me know if you are interested and I will make sure I can get some samples sent your way.

On April 12, we cracked the samples and were blown away by the quality for the price being offered. I reached out to our spy, to inquire further about why these wines were so excellent, and here was his response (I’ll exclude the emojis): He’s the real deal. Alex has ridiculously good Pinot contracts, those that rival any premium producer. His wines show restraint over extraction, so I’ve always been a fan. Plus they’re often well-priced, below market average.

On April 17, I made Alex an offer to buy out every single bottle of both wines we tasted.

On April 27, the wine arrived safely in our warehouse.

On May 19, we sent our first Nichols offer, and as I said, the plan was an October offer for the second, but you’re impatient, I’m impatient, we’re all impatient for more well-priced Pinot.

Principio is the flagship wine for AF Nichols, a selection of the finest barrels from any vintage. In 2011 it was a four-barrel lot, and three of those barrels came from the old vines at Woodhall Vineyard, a 1977 site that doubles as Oregon State University’s research vineyard. Alex cut his winemaking teeth as a research assistant at OSU, which explains his access to this old-vine site. Here’s how he describes the vineyard: It’s a fantastic site nestled into the foothills of the coast range; south facing, mid-elevation, volcanic soils and own-rooted Pinot noir from the 70s.

The wine was done with about 8% whole clusters and 25% new oak, and it clocks in at 13% listed alc. It kicks off with an evocative, expressive nose: cherries, dried strawberries, rose petals, and loamy earth. The 2011 vintage, as you may remember, was a cool one across the PacNW, and this is true to vintage, offering a core of crushed-rock minerality and bright acidity. I’m not sure if I’d guess old-world or new-world if this was poured blind for me.

It’s impressive to see Alex take a vintage like 2014 and make a lovely down-the-middle Oregon Pinot, and then take a vintage like 2011 and make something with more Burgundian sensibilities. It means he’s not trying to force any house style on the wines; instead he’s using these wines as a vehicle to honestly express a snapshot in time, a single season. To be clear, though: I wouldn’t call this wine austere; there is succulent fruit richness that emerges on the mid-palate and carries through the long finish. That’s why ultimately I think I’d place this wine in the new-world, but it’s a tweener for sure, and it’s in a lovely drinking window, now six years past vintage. You could put a light chill on it and drink it during our remaining summer deck days, or just wait for autumn and all the mushroomy goodness a wine like this was born to pair with.

To order this wine, click here

Please limit order requests to 12 bottles, and we’ll do our best to fulfill all requests. The wine is in the warehouse and ready for immediate pickup or shipping during the next temperature-appropriate shipping window.
Regards,

Team Full Pull®

Cheers!

Post #: 560
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/17/2017 5:13:10 AM   
AfleetAlex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

So, after reading your recommendation, I checked the CT reviews and was struck by the following review of the same wine:

Aggressive aromas of dirt, not the good kind. No real varietal characteristics. It's just red. Too funny

The reviews of this wine are all over the place, some very good, some very bad. I wonder if it's due to bottle variation or something else.

I see it's not too popular. The alcohol is very heavy on the nose, and the tannins are intense. I think it will mellow and become more balanced with some age. That chocolate finish that hits you 30 seconds after, is what has me excited. It was worth buying a case to sit on for 5yrs.

Trying to amass a dope wine collection to leave to Child #1, 2 and 3, while drinking a little along the way.

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 561
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/17/2017 6:34:50 PM   
KPB

The 2012 dry Riesling from Lammoreaux Landing in Lodi is $12/bottle by the case. Quite good, and at that price, a steal. (They also do a "bone dry" version, but you would need to lay it down for a few years to really drink it near its peak.)

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to AfleetAlex)
Post #: 562
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/17/2017 10:11:22 PM   
jmcmchi

Tenet Pundit (Wa) and Le Fervent (Costieres de Nimes) both available in Costco. Both excellent QPR

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 563
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/17/2017 11:45:48 PM   
PinotPhile

I didn't know that NY has a Lodi, too. Learn something new....

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 564
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/18/2017 5:25:57 AM   
racerchris

I was surprised last night by how much I liked this: 2013 Casalino Chianti Classico Riserva, purchased for under $15 from Total Wine.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 565
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/18/2017 5:38:59 AM   
doc2

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

I was surprised last night by how much I liked this: 2013 Casalino Chianti Classico Riserva, purchased for under $15 from Total Wine.

Their 2009 Brunello was pleasant. I found it on sale for$21.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 566
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/18/2017 7:02:25 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

Just had an $11 Chianti that was decent and might evolve into something better with 4 or 5 years of rack time:

2013 Renzo Masi Chianti Rufina Riserva

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 567
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/19/2017 12:27:48 PM   
Scott W

quote:

Alright Cran I just popped a whole 9 bones for a bottle of Seaside at my local Costco it better be good hope it is they had about 20 cases laying around.

< Message edited by Scott W -- 8/19/2017 12:28:39 PM >

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Post #: 568
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/19/2017 2:00:01 PM   
Redrunners

It needs about 10-15 minutes to open up (flavors a little muted at first), but nice QPR and solid wine for the money.

I have been back a couple of times to restock - good daily drinker or PN option for having a crowd.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott W

quote:

Alright Cran I just popped a whole 9 bones for a bottle of Seaside at my local Costco it better be good hope it is they had about 20 cases laying around.

< Message edited by Redrunners -- 8/19/2017 2:01:46 PM >

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 569
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/19/2017 3:05:34 PM   
PinotPhile

Also available at our Costco, and it is a PN. So may check that out. Last time I had a NZ PN that price was a Dashwood a few years ago. It was quite decent for <$10 PN. Tasted like PN.

Just finished a Navarro Vineyards Riesling, 2012, Anderson Valley. Due to various discounts and one-cent shipping, it squeaked in under $15. QPR above average. Such a reliable producer for us....

Cheers!

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI