CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 2/17/2015 1:21:41 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I've posted a few places on this forum about our little vineyard project, but today was "official" groundbreaking, beyond removing some trees a few weeks ago. Those trees, in the form a burn pile, are visible in some of the photos, but I thought I'd share some of what is happening today in Goat Rocks.

For those unfamiliar with the area, the Goat Rocks Wilderness is an area between Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams in Central Washington State, known for mountain goats and rocks, hence the name. Geologically, this area was formed when a Volcano erupted about a million years ago, think Mt. St. Helens, which is also close by, on crack. When that Volcano erupted one of the lava flows came back east toward the current City of Yakima, Washington, and formed what is now known as the Naches Heights plateau. In 2011/2012, the Naches Heights AVA was established as a wine grape graping area, subdivided from the greater Columbia Valley, based primarily on its unique geology, andesite rocks/boulders, and overlying blown loess soils, known locally as Tieton Loam. Here is a refresher link via the excellent article written by Sean Sullivan when the AVA was designated.

http://www.wawinereport.com/2011/12/in-depth-look-at-new-naches-heights-ava.html

We've chosen to name our vineyard, and our winery, in honor of these ancient rocks, the Goat Rocks.

Without further ado, here are some photos from this morning. My buddy Jim is driving the bulldozer and though he is "retired" he is one of the best operators of heavy equipment in all of Yakima. I asked him if he was worried about tipping over, some of the side hill grade is at ~18 % and we talked about terracing, "No, piece of cake".

You can see my shadow in some of these as the eastern morning sun rose behind me. Sometimes that shadow is really a small black dog, our winery dog, Chiva.

I went up top to take some photos of what is going on up there, where another 2 acres awaits the next phase. Plenty of rocks still littering the landscape up there.

Finally, I went across the pasture to the other side, near our local high school, appropriately named Highland High, to get a shot of what our neighbors will see.

OOPS! Edit to make photos a bit bigger.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 4/21/2015 10:33:38 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173
Post #: 1
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 1:28:38 PM   
motoring

Very Cool, I look forward to trying the wine 5 to six years...

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 2
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 1:35:18 PM   
Redrunners

Congratulations - sounds like a good location.

Looking forward to hearing about the journey and trying the wine when it is ready.

Is this part of your future retirement plans?

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

Post #: 3
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 1:38:20 PM   
Jack667

Wow - that's great! Congrats!

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 4
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 1:38:45 PM   
musedir

Very excited for you and Barb! Party on Garth.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 5
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 1:43:10 PM   
rlp805

Congrates, looks like there is a lot of hard work is in front of you!

-Richard

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 6
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 1:50:33 PM   
recotte

Congratulations, Chris! I always knew that when you started putting barrels in your living room, you were too far down this slippery slope to turn back. It was just a matter of time!

Keep the updates coming!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to rlp805)
Post #: 7
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 2:22:11 PM   
dsGris

Now the fun (work) starts. That dozer is a bit bigger than my Kubota. I love to see those green hillsides in the desert.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 8
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 3:08:04 PM   
smigdiggler

super cool!!

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

PlaywrightWines on Instagram

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 9
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 3:19:05 PM   
kingkanu

Exciting stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing this develop, congratulations !

(in reply to smigdiggler)
Post #: 10
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 3:19:39 PM   
mye

This is awesome.. what exactly are you building there?
- building a winery? facilities? house/home?
- planting grapes? is that the vineyard?

looks awesome though!

(in reply to smigdiggler)
Post #: 11
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 3:38:14 PM   
JerryL

Fantastic! Good luck. Hopefully you will post regular updates.

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 12
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 3:53:53 PM   
rwilk_2000

Awesome Chris. I look forward to seeing it planted in the future!

It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

(in reply to JerryL)
Post #: 13
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 4:11:18 PM   
mtpisgah

Congratulations Chris & Barb. All of the hard work will pay off. And then we can all say "we knew them when they were making wine in their living room".

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 14
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 4:23:15 PM   
GalvezGuy

Way to go Chris. Best wishes to you and yours.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 15
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 4:31:10 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Thanks all!

Redrunners, yes, this is a pseudo-retirement plan.  Our plan is to have enough retirement income to live on from OTHER sources, SS, private retirements accounts, etc... , and to grow and make enough wine to support our drinking habit.  Share or sell any extra with those who'll take it.  So far we've served our wine at a bunch of weddings (we're out of daughters though, granddaughter is just 2) and shared with some folks on CT from wine made in my wife's family room.  She has told me that space is now permanently closed, so I'm expanding outdoors. Our business plan for the winery and vineyard is to 1) Have Fun!  2) Make good wine. 3) Break even financially after five years or so (not sure when that five years starts though). 4) Have Fun!

mye,  this is our home and the brown roofed building is where we live.   Our bedroom looks out over the first block of vineyard.  That helped me sell it to my wife.  Also on site is a "pole barn" structure that is about 1000 sq ft, but needs a lot of work to become a winery, but footprint exists. 

I'm also investigating putting a wine cave into the side of this hill.   With a heavy equipment company as a business partner,  digging giant holes is not a problem, affording the concrete tunnels might be... http://www.conteches.com/products/applications/storage-structures.aspx   I like the simpler designs, such as Afton Mountain or Harmony Hill Wineries.   Gilbert Cellars is just over the next hill south from us and they have a fantastic cave here in Yakima.  https://www.gilbertcellars.com/hackett-ranch/

Yes, we are planting a vineyard this spring.  This first block of vineyard will be about 1.25 acres, plantings will be Syrah, Pinot Noir, Mourvedre, Riesling, Gerwurztraminer, Viognier, Roussanne.  1650 plants in all currently on order from Inland Desert Nursery in Benton City and we'll probably add a half row of table grapes and maybe some more of the others once layout plays itself out in the actual ground.  Obviously not a whole lot of any single varietal, but largest number, 500, will be Syrah.   Next blocks, if they occur, will be based partly on success of this block.  And finances.

The water supply is a well that you can see the well house near the wind machine in some of the pictures.   Water rights exist to irrigate 10 acres.  We own 5.5 acres, about 3.5 of which is plantable, at least in my minds eye. 

Some adjoining land might be available for sale or lease, tasting room on the top of the knob (not currently my land) is the ultimate pipedream , and our female partners are planning an industrial kitchen and bistro.

But we're trying to stick to items 1) and 4) of the business plan without getting too far ahead of ourselves. 

And today seeing the bulldozer and smelling the dirt was a lot of Fun!  

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/17/2015 4:40:46 PM >

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 16
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 4:43:04 PM   
mye

Chris, this is in Yakima right?
we'll have to pop by next time we drive over!

Post #: 17
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 4:43:25 PM   
khmark7

Jealous, as I see this in my future.

For now I must settle with the adventures of growing vines outside of Chicago.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 18
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 4:57:11 PM   
jrockman

Chris, this is truly awesome, congrats! Will definitely need to make a visit soon - best wishes for a successful planting!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 19
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 4:57:24 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

Chris, this is in Yakima right?
we'll have to pop by next time we drive over!

Yes, sorta, that metropolis you see in the near ground of the pictures is Cowiche, ~ 10 miles outside Yakima city limits.  It's kinda rural here I've been told.    The quickest way to get to us from Seattle is actually via Mt. Rainier National Park/Chinook Pass to Route 12, but I'm too scared of plummeting to my death to drive that way and Chinook Pass is usually closed Oct-May. Ask MindMuse about coming that way last summer.  

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/17/2015 4:58:56 PM >

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 20
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 5:12:39 PM   
oskiwawa

it really is neat to see. Thanks for posting. Some day I hope to have the chance to drive by and say, wow there is a CTer who really went for it.

Post #: 21
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 5:19:25 PM   
khmark7

The drive from Seattle to Yakima is beautiful in the fall when the leaves are changing color.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 22
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 5:32:30 PM   
champagneinhand

Very cool. It looks so much different than the local terroir from here, which is probably warped because it's February. [image] http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag77/champagneinhand/Facebook/8FF8411A-1932-44B6-A7DB-D74A6A9ABDE4_zpscghiz44h.jpg [/image]

I think it looks very nice. The winery was a great start now the vineyard comes into play. I'm so glad to here that you are planting more Mouvedre. I would love more Bandols styled options from the USA or even Jumilla.

It much to cold here for most Reds and those that survive are usually hybrids. Some Cab Franc for ice wines and two vineyards currently grow Pinot Noir. That amount of vines will keep you busy for about 4-6 hours just getting them trained and growing properly for the area. Each locale has different ways to get the vines to grow. Looks like you haves very nice patch of land.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 23
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 5:37:11 PM   
kcbrian

Chris
awesome pics! Looks like you will literally be living the wine makers dream. Look forward to seeing it in person some day.

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 24
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 5:38:30 PM   
champagneinhand

I could only post a link to the picture of the giant loafers stacking snow up in the parking lot at the local Wegmans. I am quite envious of your weather. Same with the lack of Japanese beetles. I would like to rent a 3 acres vineyard just a few miles away. It's a dry farmed vineyard and has not been tended to for a few years so almost everything would need to be ripped out. I would feel better if it had mire angle and a well.

You are living the dream. Please don't go the way of Olsen estates or Saint Laurent. I really enjoyed both places wine. Looking forward to seeing great fruit in 3-5 years.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

Post #: 25
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 5:41:47 PM   
BenNoir

Quite a project - I wish you great success and endless fun.

ben

Post #: 26
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 5:58:20 PM   
S1

What a great looking site Chris.
I look forward to lots of updates.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 27
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 9:11:27 PM   
bretrooks

Super-exciting, Chris! Lots of work ahead, but it's a whole different ballgame when it's work you love. Definitely keep us posted on he project as it unfolds...

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 28
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 9:21:03 PM   
ericindc

Looking forward to seeing all your updates. Good luck, hopefully that big dozer didn't cause to much compaction.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 29
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 9:32:25 PM   
cartey

Congratulations, David.
I look forward to tasting your wine!!
What a nice dream come true moment.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI