CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/27/2018 9:54:18 AM   
recotte

Nice use of a derailleur! I’ll be interested to hear how well it works for you.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 511
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/29/2018 4:49:13 PM   
musedir

quote:

Naches Heights, Washington
It’s no secret that Walla Walla is one to watch, but there are so many nooks and crannies to explore in the broader Columbia Valley that you could easily spend a week here, sampling Washington’s best wines and eating like royalty. The Naches Heights AVA sits on the world’s largest Andecite lava flow, and features all sorts of biodynamic and volcanic wineries that are perfectly in step with global wine trends. Set up camp in one of the rooms at Canyon River Ranch or the Orchard Inn B&B, and make sure to visit Treveri Cellars, and Naches Heights Vineyard. (Also: locals rave about the cheeses from nearby Tieton Creamery, so don’t leave without sampling the “Black Pearl” bloomy rind aged in grape leaf ashes—it’s sublime)

Vogue other places to look for vineyards beyond Napa...

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 512
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/29/2018 5:21:17 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Wow. Thanks Tom. Andesite and goat cheese is where it’s at!

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 513
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/30/2018 12:20:34 AM   
Rich64N

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

quote:

Naches Heights, Washington
It’s no secret that Walla Walla is one to watch, but there are so many nooks and crannies to explore in the broader Columbia Valley that you could easily spend a week here, sampling Washington’s best wines and eating like royalty. The Naches Heights AVA sits on the world’s largest Andecite lava flow, and features all sorts of biodynamic and volcanic wineries that are perfectly in step with global wine trends. Set up camp in one of the rooms at Canyon River Ranch or the Orchard Inn B&B, and make sure to visit Treveri Cellars, and Naches Heights Vineyard. (Also: locals rave about the cheeses from nearby Tieton Creamery, so don’t leave without sampling the “Black Pearl” bloomy rind aged in grape leaf ashes—it’s sublime)

Vogue other places to look for vineyards beyond Napa...

Nice blurb but drive-by hype, with some good info too. Naches Heights is all of ~7 wineries (to include my favorite Goat Rocks (OK, haven't tried the others yet)- but "all sorts?" I'd add Tieton Cider to make "all sorts" = apple wine. I like Treveri too (sekt style bubbly - and I'm not normally a bubbly fan), but not in Naches Heights, Union Gap 20 miles away.
Sorry Chris, not looking to hijack your grape growing thread. And I still need to hit Cowiche Brewery down the road from you.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 514
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/30/2018 4:53:28 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

No worries Rich. The Treveri connection is valid in that they source fruit from NH. Riesling, Gewurztraminer, and spring 2017 planted (under contract) a few acres of Chard and Pinot Noir at Strand Vineyard a couple of miles from me. They may have a harvest this year, I’m not sure.

You are off on number of wineries too. At last count it was closer to three than seven. Wine grown and made on NH at present includes Wilridge, Goat Rocks, and maybe Harlequin. Even NHV currently does not make or sell wine on the plateau.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 8/30/2018 1:10:39 PM >

(in reply to Rich64N)
Post #: 515
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 9/17/2018 7:42:58 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

A bit behind on my updates, but our 2018 harvest started last weekend. 9/8-9/18. Earliest pick ever and hopefully got the Gewurz in a good spot after two so-so attempts at maintaining acidity combined with ripeness. Numbers this time were 22.0 Brix, 3.0-3.1 pH, 1.1 TA after the crusher/destemmer. I left the batch cold soaking for a week and this past Friday went to pull a sample to mix with a batch of yeast. When I went back Saturday to the bin it had a cap and lotso bubbles. By today it's in full turbo fermentation mode all on its own.

The gewurz crop was not as big a yield as last year, smaller clusters, and some almost bare vines for reasons mostly unknown, but still a decent batch going now.

Velo-crusher was a success, but still a bit of an art form to ride without popping a wheelie. A few more tweaks needed for next crush which will be Pinot Noir this coming weekend.

You forget how good it smells during fermentation, and that was actually my first clue on Saturday that something was going on, I got that fruity ester yeasty aroma even before I pulled the blue goat cover off the bin. And yes, I am fermenting the Gewurz on the skins. A bit of an experiment, but I like the orange hue, and we'll see how this wine turns out in a month or so.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 9/17/2018 8:28:13 AM >

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 516
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 9/19/2018 1:24:51 PM   
BRR

Awesome, Chris! Chiva looks like she likes grapes based on how she's sitting right below Barb there!

Cheers!

Post #: 517
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 9/19/2018 2:07:37 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

Awesome, Chris! Chiva looks like she likes grapes based on how she's sitting right below Barb there!

Yes - that's the same look as when your dog sits next to you while your preparing food on the counter. The "I know something will fall soon!" stare.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 518
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 9/20/2018 8:43:20 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Chiva doesn't really eat the grapes too much. She mainly just loves the attention she gets when people are in her vineyard.

This morning I took a sample ~5 brix remaining as the Gewurz bubbles away. Also, a gentle reminder that I should ventilate my fermentation room. I have built a more sturdy semi-permanent insulated metal panel fermenter room on the patio. Great for maintaining temps and controlling the fruit flies, not so well ventilated. I removed the fermenter cover and stuck my head down in the bin with a carafe, and got a blast of CO2, yeast and alcohol and fruit aromas, and probably < 15% O2. Lucky I didn't fall in and drown. I put a fan in the (lapped plastic curtains) door to turn the air over today. Funny how you sometimes forget the little things.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 519
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 9/25/2018 9:51:11 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

We picked Pinot Noir last weekend. Good looking fruit, 23.5 Brix, 3.4 pH, about 900 pounds I'm guessing. And I figured out how to upload and link a video, no charge for small clips on vimeo with basic registration...

Velocrusher

Post #: 520
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 9/25/2018 9:52:17 AM   
PinotPhile

Pinot Noir. Yummmmmmmmmmm.

PP

Post #: 521
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 9/25/2018 10:06:25 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

We picked Pinot Noir last weekend. Good looking fruit, 23.5 Brix, 3.4 pH, about 900 pounds I'm guessing. And I figured out how to upload and link a video, no charge for small clips on vimeo with basic registration...

Velocrusher

That's awesome, Chris! Next up, to improve the system efficiency, we need to get you proper cycling shoes and clip-in pedals.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Post #: 522
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 9/25/2018 11:17:04 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

Velocrusher

That's awesome, Chris! Next up, to improve the system efficiency, we need to get you proper cycling shoes and clip-in pedals.

My bike and my daughter's actually have that feature. But this one is a multi-user women's hybrid bike, simple seat height adjustment allows anybody over about 5'0" to use it. I have a kids bike for my granddaughters, but don't have an extra sprocket on the rear hub yet, and they aren't making it out for harvest this year, so maybe next.

It is pretty amazing how easy this works compared to the hand crank. Other than my out of shape factor this is easy work and there is remarkably little resistance even when the hopper is full. The catch we discovered is to keep the stem outlet chute clear, because if a stem jams inside the machine, you are going to pop a wheelie. No crashes this time.

In other news, our Cowiche specific Growing Degree Days are at 2625. Full harvest numbers for our area some years and forecast is for at least 2 more weeks of warmish days (65-75) and cool nights, (40-45), nothing in the low 30's yet, even though we did have a 38 degree morning a couple of weeks ago. Hang time, hang time, hang time on Syrah and Sangio which are around 19-20 Brix. Hoping to make it to ~October 20, maybe later. Pickers Needed. Rides on Velocrusher are FREE! Apply HERE.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 523
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 9/25/2018 2:44:28 PM   
Sourdough

Way to go Chris. Looking Great! And sounds like things are going well. Ride safe and "No Wheelies!"

Post #: 524
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/8/2018 1:00:27 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Ok Microbiologists, explain this one.

2017 Gewurztraminer bottled 18 cases last winter. Before bottling I added what I thought was enough potassium sorbate, filtered it sterile through a mini-jet set of pads, and added back ~0.5% Sugar after tasting trials since I preferred this particular wine to have a hint of sweetness vs. totally dry. I used two type of closures, agglomerated wooden cork and Nomacork brand plastic corks. Partly by necessity since that's what my local supply shop had when I bought, but also to see if I liked the plastic.

In the spring, I noticed a few bottles had gone fizzy, not all maybe but some, and it is not a good wine. A few popped through the summer for Mimosas, whatever. Yesterday during my wine moving I decided to uncork and dump the fizzy wine and maybe salvage it somehow. I started randomly popping and dumping case by case, about 20 bottles in, into a case with the wooden corks, corkscrew in one hand, pile of mostly plastic corks in a basket, and funnel in carboy, I realized something. The bottles under natural wood, agglomerated corks, were not fizzy. The bottles under Nomacork, synthetic plastic, were fizzy. Testing this theory of differentiation based on cork type going forward, proved true through another half case of wood, no fizz, plastic another 5 cases total, all fizzy. All the wine had been treated the same prior to bottling although I do bottle from carboys, getting about 2 cases per 5 gallons, and I do a similar routine with corks in a bath of sodium metabisulfite before use. I thought maybe the wood corked ones had fermented too, just didn't hold pressure due to air seeping across the cork, but a bottle I tasted late yesterday after chilling had sugar to my palate a still wine just like I intended when I bottled, the plastic cork stuff has yeasty notes and other undesirable flavors, and inconsistent fizz.

So, why did the plastic closure cause fermentation while the wood based closure did not?

Free case of Gewurztraminer, unfizzy I think, to anyone with an answer I can understand.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/8/2018 1:04:35 PM >

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 525
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/8/2018 1:13:39 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

In other news, Pinot pressed into a neutral oak barrel, a bit left over for topping, this years Gewurz racked for first time, and vineyard hanging Sangio and Syrah/Viognier/Roussanne. A close call at 33F this past week, but still normal looking clusters and leaves, holding out for another week at least.

Post #: 526
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/8/2018 1:22:15 PM   
fingers

Aside from some kind of chemical reaction deal, it has to be a question of ingress/egress with the wood vs plastic, no?

Post #: 527
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/8/2018 1:43:48 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Aside from some kind of chemical reaction deal, it has to be a question of ingress/egress with the wood vs plastic, no?

I'm facebook friends with Christian Grieb, Treveri wines, who do a whole bunch of intentionally fizzy wines in Wapato.

His answer/theory is an unsterile corking machine and lack of absorption of sulfite by the plastic, where the wood does a better job with my corking and sanitation practices...

" I will add one further option. Natural cork will take a little water in it, and Nomacorc probably doesn't absorb much of anything. If you didn't sterilize the cork head/corker, it could be there was some yeast living on the head. Since the natural cork could soak up some of the SO2 solution it likely rid of the unwanted yeast. With the nomacork none of the water absorbed and the yeast was able to live on the wall of the cork. Then you put it in the bottle and the Nomacorc batch had instant contact (yeast to wine)."

I should do a better job of cleaning my machine if I want to use the plastic going forward...

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/8/2018 1:45:31 PM >

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 528
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/9/2018 3:24:15 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

That 18' Gewurtz sounds promising!

Interesting about the difference in closures, too. So many things to think about we take take for granted.

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

Post #: 529
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/9/2018 4:18:06 AM   
khmark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

I'm facebook friends with Christian Grieb, Treveri wines, who do a whole bunch of intentionally fizzy wines in Wapato.

His answer/theory is an unsterile corking machine and lack of absorption of sulfite by the plastic, where the wood does a better job with my corking and sanitation practices...

" I will add one further option. Natural cork will take a little water in it, and Nomacorc probably doesn't absorb much of anything. If you didn't sterilize the cork head/corker, it could be there was some yeast living on the head. Since the natural cork could soak up some of the SO2 solution it likely rid of the unwanted yeast. With the nomacork none of the water absorbed and the yeast was able to live on the wall of the cork. Then you put it in the bottle and the Nomacorc batch had instant contact (yeast to wine)."

I should do a better job of cleaning my machine if I want to use the plastic going forward...

Interesting Chris. The Gewurztraminer you sent me was the Normacorc, and yes, it was fizzy as well.

Still, when you cork the bottles you only depress the top of the cork, so any contract from a contaminated corking device should not reach the wine. I use a manual corking tool, so mine could be contaminated....not sure about yours. Have you considered contacting Normacorc?

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 530
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/11/2018 2:34:31 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Sampled yesterday after a day or two of rain (our first in a long time)

Sangio 21 Brix, 3.3 pH
Syrah/Viognier 23 Brix, 3.2 pH

This temp projection changes daily, and pockets of cold, and relative warmth are always likely. The trend of hour by hour usually means an hour or so at the lowest temp, then warming within an hour after sunrise.

Do you pick this weekend or try to wait until next? Some now, some later?

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 531
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/11/2018 3:54:54 PM   
musedir

Damn Doak... it’s getting chilly in the hood.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 532
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/11/2018 5:50:58 PM   
khmark7

Chris, i would wait. Sangio seems to relish the hang time, and those really are ideal temps for vinifera anyways.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 533
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/12/2018 7:01:10 AM   
BRR

Knocking on freezing temps overnight on Saturday? Woo wee, that's a-chilly! Good luck, Chris - may your fruit be...fruitful.

Cheers!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 534
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/13/2018 7:15:23 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

Knocking on freezing temps overnight on Saturday? Woo wee, that's a-chilly! Good luck, Chris - may your fruit be...fruitful.

We’ve had inversions past 3 mornings, warmer on Naches Heights than the valley or Yakima. 41 now vs a prediction of 33. Might pick a rose batch. 100 pounds or so, but letting everything else, 2 tons estimate hang for another week.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 535
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/13/2018 9:03:56 AM   
PinotPhile

Chris, what grapes do you use for your Rose'?

Also will be interesting to hear how the Gewurz and of course the PN turns out.

Cheers!

PP

Post #: 536
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/13/2018 1:42:47 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

Chris, what grapes do you use for your Rose'?

Also will be interesting to hear how the Gewurz and of course the PN turns out.

Cheers!

PP

Likely will use some of each Sangiovese and Syrah. Keep them separate through fermentation. May blend the pinks. May not.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 537
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/13/2018 1:44:54 PM   
PinotPhile

SyrSan Rose'. Intriguing.

Post #: 538
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/13/2018 2:05:51 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

SyrSan Rose'. Intriguing.

Being from SoCal, I would think San Syra makes more sense as the name.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 539
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 10/15/2018 8:25:59 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

I've never paid as much attention to the weather as I have lately. We had another inversion this morning, 36 low at my house, 32 in Yakima, and I saw bank thermometer reading of 27 when I got near my workplace.

This shot of the Naches River valley illustrates it quite nicely. Layers of warm air on top keeping fog laying low on the river, and even a cloud layer at about 1700 feet I'm guessing. Top of the Naches Heights sits at ~2000 feet, similar to the ridge line across the valley; our vineyard is at 1750-1800 feet. The river is at about 1200 feet.

This road is Shuller Grade, as I am sure BRR recognizes, which is one of 4-5 ways to access Naches Heights from the Valley.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/15/2018 9:37:57 AM >

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI