CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 10:19:23 PM   
MindMuse

Well these charter Goat Herders in Atlanta are most proud of you. I knew this day of commitment would come from you, and couldn't be happier for you. Although I don't envy the hard work and risks that lie ahead for you, I know you will be up to the tasks. And though I'm sure Barb has a significant amount of patience with you, I imagine it will be her even more significant level of love for you that will win the days when the former virtue is strained to its human limits.

Doesn't really matter, this Destiny was clear to those who have had the good fortune to know you and Barb. I offer a Proper toast to the occasion, by which I mean I already had opened tonight a Proper Syrah from that inferior terroir down the road a bit, but at least well treated by an excellent winemaker you introduced us to.

Cheers!

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to cartey)
Post #: 31
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 10:26:16 PM   
schwank

Congrats to you guys... looks awesome. Can't wait to try the fruit of the vine! Best to you both on this new endeavor.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 32
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/17/2015 10:26:25 PM   
MindMuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

Chris, this is in Yakima right?
we'll have to pop by next time we drive over!

Yes, sorta, that metropolis you see in the near ground of the pictures is Cowiche, ~ 10 miles outside Yakima city limits.  It's kinda rural here I've been told.    The quickest way to get to us from Seattle is actually via Mt. Rainier National Park/Chinook Pass to Route 12, but I'm too scared of plummeting to my death to drive that way and Chinook Pass is usually closed Oct-May. Ask MindMuse about coming that way last summer.  

I think we drove about a solid 20 minutes + down your side of the mountain with the car's gauge telling us we were getting 99.9 miles per gallon, cause that's as high as it would register.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 33
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 5:20:16 AM   
mcsac67

Congratulations! When can we sign up for the mailing list?

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 34
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 5:23:19 AM   
musedir

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to mcsac67)
Post #: 35
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 5:33:47 AM   
J2K

Respect !!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 36
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 6:47:39 AM   
musedir

Oh... I do! I'm among the first on the mailing list.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 37
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 7:45:05 AM   
Stirling

Congratulations Chris on living the dream!

Have you decided what varietals you will plant in your vineyard?

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 38
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 7:52:05 AM   
Sourdough

A hearty BRAVO! The location looks and sounds good. Will look forward to following your trials and tribulations as you get this going. Congratulations! Hope you had a great celebration at the end of the day!

Hope to taste a bottle in a few years!

(in reply to cartey)
Post #: 39
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 9:10:28 AM   
Wine_Strategies

Congratulations, Chris (and Barb!), this is just awesome. Very happy for both of you.

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 40
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 10:41:07 AM   
BRR

Very cool, Chris, and I'm uber excited to taste the results in the future. [I see an offline in the Goat Rocks Caves someday...]

Seeing those pictures makes me miss home, BTW.

Cheers!

(in reply to cartey)
Post #: 41
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 11:24:42 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Thanks again for all the interest and words of encouragement.   We've obviously been thinking/planning this for some time, the significance of the actual turning of the dirt is just another step in a years-long plan/process, and since we're making most of this up as we go along, I didn't really celebrate anything. Maybe I should have, but I think I'll have more of a sense of ceremony when the vines start going into the ground.  Then again 2-3 years later (if the vines survive) to first harvest. I was pleased to see the whole hillside turned over when I got home yesterday, and the dozer was back at it this morning with another round of working the dirt. 

ericindc, I am NOT a farmer, or even a geologist or soils person of any sort, but the loess soils here are very loose.  The word loess means loose in German from what I've learned.    I'm not worried about over compaction, if fact, I'm more worried about how long posts I'll need to buy and how deep I'll have to set to keep them straight.  I've set a few wooden stakes so far and it's amazing how easy it is to drive a thin stake 12"-18" into this dirt.  Then annoying a few days later when the stakes have fallen over due to wind and a bit of moisture.   One big advantage of the area where we're working now is that it used to be apple orchard, therefore the boulders you see elsewhere had been removed decades ago, and the ground itself had been tilled, then planted with established root systems.  Those trees were mostly gone when we moved here in 2010, but when we ripped out the last dozen or so fruit trees a month ago, it was interesting to see how easily the trees/roots were plucked from the ground.  Of course, big machines make easy work.

Speaking of boulders we've got a handshake agreement with a landscape company to remove as many boulders as they can get to in exchange for some scrub removal (damn junipers) and landscaping work around the house.  They covet the boulders that are covered with moss and lichen and use them in projects to build natural looking dry landscape beds which are pretty common in landscape design around here.  I'll post some pictures sometime of my boulders in their new home, as I happen to know where at least some of them are headed.    

mcsac67, as far as winery mailing lists or sales, we are making that part up too.  We started making home wedding wine in 2009, 76 bottles worth of Riesling, https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1037226, almost all consumed on a scorching hot July day in Illinois.  No one died, so we continued dabbling in 2010 when the Goat Rocks name was hatched, a bit more in 2011, then produced semi-commercial quantities of wine in 2012 and 2013, none in 2014, and not yet sure about 2015 or beyond until the home grown fruit comes in.  I've bought fruit from 3 different vineyards in Yakima Valley and once got some free Barbera from the Columbia Gorge over the years.  I guess we had what you'd call a soft launch (a pop-up winery?) with the 2012 vintage, and The Original Goat Herders, including some folks here will always be (in)famous.  Notorious?   In keeping with Eric's desire to keep this forum non-commercial in nature, I'll post vineyard updates here, but will migrate other winery interest or sales info somewhere else, when that somewhere else is viable.  GoatRocksWinery.com is owned, but not active because our web designer is as bad at that as he is at farming.

Stirling, red grapes we're planting are Syrah which has a proven track record in the neighborhood (12+ years which is as long as anyone has tried to grow wine grapes here), Pinot Noir less so but still at least one site that has some growing successfully, and Mourvedre, which is a test grape here that I wanted to try, because I love it and it was a better risk than Grenache which my consultant thought was a waste of time due to freezes we have here.  White grapes are Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Viognier, and Roussanne.  Roussanne is a mostly test grape, but folks not far away, but a much lower elevation are having success.   This paragraph shows just how new the AVA is as a wine region, and if you ever visit here you'll see about 7-8,000 acres of the plateau planted to tree fruit (some world class apples and cherries come from here). Those big metal and concrete rectangular buildings in some of the pictures are apple warehouses.   At last count, there are about 50 acres of wine grapes, soon to be 51. 

Glad you still call here home, BRR. We'll try to keep from running the apple growers out of business.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/18/2015 11:44:46 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 42
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 11:36:32 AM   
dsGris

A very good complementary to Gary's posting about Maison Harbour. I think we all enjoy reading about others accomplishments, be they farming, winemaking, or cellars. After all their is only so much you can say about wine itself, no?

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 43
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 12:41:53 PM   
neruda11

Quite exciting! Best of luck!!!

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 44
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 1:08:04 PM   
Wine Gopher

Awesome!

(in reply to neruda11)
Post #: 45
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 1:17:40 PM   
Sourdough

Well, Chris! If you didn't celebrate you should soon. I know several people who have made small fortunes in the wine industry. As they like to say, It is a good thing they started with a big one! As you allude the road to being up and online, making wine is a long and slow one. Celebrate soon and often! And enjoy the ride! I spent six years trying to get a small "personal size" vineyard functional and all I really did was fatten up birds and squirrels.

Be well and good luck!

< Message edited by Sourdough -- 2/18/2015 1:21:12 PM >

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 46
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 2:31:49 PM   
dsGris

quote:

Celebrate soon and often! And enjoy the ride! I spent six years trying to get a small "personal size" vineyard functional and all I really did was fatten up birds and squirrels.

Years ago a bunch of us went on a winery & tasting tour to Ponzi, and I asked Dick if he had any trouble with birds. He replied that they gave them the first three rows.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 47
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 6:59:14 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Our strategy for birds will be netting, air cannons, or coyotes when the time comes. Fun picture taken at the end of today on panorama setting of the iPhone. I owe Jim a beer.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 48
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/18/2015 9:01:30 PM   
skifree

Congrats Chris! What a great start for Goat Rocks.

I have had your wine - am looking forward to toasting your success in the future.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to cartey)
Post #: 49
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/19/2015 3:31:27 AM   
musedir

Great panorama Chris! Think I'll crack a Barbilocks tonight!

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 50
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/19/2015 6:02:20 AM   
crispino

Congrats on a well-deserved venture Chris! This is very exciting to see, and I look forward to the day when I can say, "I co-Head Elfed with that guy." Looks like it will be a lot of work and a lot of fun! Which seems to be the general way of things with all forms of gardening. Enjoy and keep the updates coming!

- Chris

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 51
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/19/2015 5:49:27 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Our strategy for birds will be netting, air cannons, or coyotes when the time comes. Fun picture taken at the end of today on panorama setting of the iPhone. I owe Jim a beer.

How many acres is that grated in the picture?

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 52
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/19/2015 6:14:27 PM   
musedir

2012 GR Barbilocks fully enjoyed tonight after a 7-hour breathing period.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 53
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 6:14:26 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

How many acres is that grated in the picture?

What is prepped is about 1.25 acres. It is mostly a rectangle a with a couple of "wings" that might extend some rows. My layout will go North/South cross hill on this slope. I'm debating (with myself mostly) whether to use black plastic "mulch" to cover the rows for weed prevention and heat. Downside is that in winter you want snow cover rather than that when temps drop near zero or below. We've had 2-3 extremely mild winters here in a row (should have planted 3 years ago), but I have recorded -12 on my car thermometer at this location. Also debating whether to go full organic, would love to, but Round-up is bit easier than pulling weeds. We will use some cover crop between the rows, but we still get lots of desert seeds, sage species mostly, invading.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 54
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 8:08:49 AM   
dsGris

You could to use those goats for weed control.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 55
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 8:22:59 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

You could to use those goats for weed control.

Goats are not known for their selective appetite, so grazing the vineyard rows might not be a good idea, but indeed a goat or three are in the plans for the pre-clearing of the upper blocks. The women folk are demanding that the goats have a (heated) house for wintering. And so far I haven't been able to find anyone with domesticated Mountain Goats, so some nubians might have to do. A co-worker has some nubian wethers he got from a neighbor of mine (about 2 miles as the goat walks) at Tieton Creamery. http://tietonfarmandcreamery.com/index.shtml Another co-worker just got a breeding pair so by 2016 at latest we'll have some goats on our rocks. Chiva (spanish for female goat btw in this context ) would love to have some goats to herd around, she is a very smart schipperke mix who has herding in her blood for sure.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/20/2015 11:59:44 AM >

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 56
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 8:26:14 AM   
markandsusanw

Awesome! I guess I hadn't been following closely enough. You've really jumped in with both feet. Best of luck on your adventure.

(in reply to cartey)
Post #: 57
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 8:57:49 AM   
dsGris

I read that there are some vineyards in the valley are using goats for vegetation control. Not having them around when new shoots through harvest would be prudent if you want to harvest a crop.`But you might think about outfitting them with baskets to help out with harvest.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to markandsusanw)
Post #: 58
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 9:05:23 AM   
Sourdough

Enjoying this thread. I like the idea of goats... If you get too many you can always have a BBQ if the women in your life will let you!

Salud!
Jay

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 59
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 11:43:36 AM   
hankj

Chris congrats an exciting project! A legacy really, maybe in 100 years you'll have left behind an awesome gnarly old vineyard ....

< Message edited by hankj -- 2/20/2015 12:14:04 PM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI