CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 1:50:36 PM   
atlantean

Enjoyed your wine at one the CT Sea offsites. It held up against some tough competition. Great to see big next steps for you and barb. Congrats

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 61
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 3:02:49 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Well, I should have talked again to my vineyard consultant, Phil Cline, before today cause he does recommend/need the soil to be ripped in the north south direction before planting. The machine is still there, but they won't give me the keys, so I might have to wait a week or two before that happens. That contractor needs to service his paying customers before favors like the one he's doing me.   He likes wine, so will take that as payment.

We did confirm the black landscape fabric (not plastic) is good to use and will help if we go organic, which we also agreed was a doable and easy goal for this site.  Ground has been fallow for at least last five years and if we farm it organically for first two and make application, we can get organic certification.  If you read the article I linked in my first post, many of the vineyards in Naches Heights AVA are organic, some even biodynamic and organic.   I'm not a biodynamic devotee, but I would prefer not to use synthetic herbicides or pesticides. 

My wine will never be organic per the (stupid) US requirement that forbids using sulfur during production of organic labeled wines, since I believe sulfites for wine protection are essential. But the grapes will be organic which will make our daughters extremely happy, and will then allow our granddaughter to eat them.     They may even keep the farm after were buried in it if it's organic.   

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/20/2015 3:05:28 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to atlantean)
Post #: 62
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/20/2015 6:01:23 PM   
khmark7

I don't see any reason to worry about weed control. I'm not a fan of herbicides and think people obsess over the idea of a few weeds. The weeds don't hurt anything.

If in fact you have low temps you might want to leave a few low growing shoots for those "just in case" winters, which is an old trick they use up in Michigan for winters like last winter & this winter. It's not uncommon to see some shoots growing at ground level.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 63
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/21/2015 1:16:33 PM   
WineKnurd

Chris I tried the link on your CT profile but no website...

We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine. -Eduardo Galeano

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 64
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/21/2015 2:23:17 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineKnurd

Chris I tried the link on your CT profile but no website...

Yep, still under construction via Go Daddy. I had a basic site launched at one time but I must have said something about Danica Patrick race car driving abilities, and I need to reload something. We're working on it.

(in reply to WineKnurd)
Post #: 65
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/21/2015 2:37:21 PM   
WineKnurd

Are you guys selling wine at this time?

We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine. -Eduardo Galeano

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 66
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/21/2015 2:40:30 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineKnurd

Are you guys selling wine at this time?

Not yet.

(in reply to WineKnurd)
Post #: 67
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/21/2015 2:59:12 PM   
WineKnurd

Barter?

Post #: 68
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/22/2015 10:14:15 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

With a LOT of help from a CT friend, Jack667, A new website is up and running. http://www.goatrockswinery.com/welcome.html

Still some tweaking to do, but it's a great start! Thanks Jack!

Also we have a "group" on facebook that I remembered I created a couple of years ago. Feel free to join if you pray to the Zuckergod.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/goatrockswinery/498787600259895/?notif_t=like

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/22/2015 10:15:17 AM >

(in reply to atlantean)
Post #: 69
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/22/2015 2:07:14 PM   
Sourdough

Nice Start Chris! Look forward to following your journey!

Post #: 70
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 2/23/2015 6:31:43 PM   
waas

AMAZING! I keep looking at the pictures over and over again. I am excited for you, should be an amazing adventure. The sunset pan looks fantastic.

Can't wait to read all about this, if you have any energy left to keep posting

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 71
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/10/2015 11:24:23 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Wait Listed.

Yep, even folks trying to buy vines have to get in line behind the big guys or those with longer standing contracts. It seems the Rhone boom in Washington is booming on the growing side too. I'm getting most of the vines listed before, but Mourvedre is a likely no-go, and the Syrah is either greatly reduced, 110 vines, different clone, or potted plants later this spring/summer. I probably will punt on Mourvedre entirely since it is sketchy for my site anyway, not hot enough, and maybe install some more Gewurz. I'll wait on Syrah until 2016 if needed, so I may only be planting around 1200 vines instead of 1700.

Got all my PVC pipes, valves, fittings,and drip tubing speced and on order. As soon as it arrives I'll start building a 900 foot PVC mainline with a couple of miles worth of PVC skeleton and drip lines. I picked a bad weekend to quit sniffing glue.

Water is king here and I am very glad my water rights are senior due to my well and are not tied to an irrigation district. Junior water users in Yakima irrigation districts are currently granted 73% share for 2015. No snowpack could mean smaller fruit/hops crops. Some users where I live are on the Yakima/Tieton irrigation system, at 100+ year old, one of the oldest in the west. It cost a $1,000,000 to build in 1906 dollars. http://www.yakimaherald.com/home/2972213-8/yakima-basin-water-forecast-full-supply-for-senior

We attended a very interesting seminar in Yakima last Saturday on, coincidentally, Backyard Vineyard management. The instructor was a friend, Neil Garrison, of Steppe Cellars. He designed the class based on a "10-gallon vineyard" about 27 plants, and 1-100 foot row. Learned tons about trellising, vine training, pruning, watering regimen, frost protection, etc... even learned the difference between shoot thinning and suckering (they are essentially the same thing). Also met a neighbor, about a mile from us as the crow flies, who is considering planting some for home winemaking next year.

Right now we are targeting week of April 13-17 for planting.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 3/10/2015 2:08:45 PM >

(in reply to waas)
Post #: 72
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/10/2015 11:42:45 AM   
dsGris

Planting party? About 40 years too old for that. I will give my moral support.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 73
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/10/2015 6:28:39 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Wait Listed.

Yep, even folks trying to buy vines have to get in line behind the big guys or those with longer standing contracts. It seems the Rhone boom in Washington is booming on the growing side too. I'm getting most of the vines listed before, but Mourvedre is a likely no-go, and the Syrah is either greatly reduced, 110 vines, different clone, or potted plants later this spring/summer. I probably will punt on Mourvedre entirely since it is sketchy for my site anyway, not hot enough, and maybe install some more Gewurz. I'll wait on Syrah until 2016 if needed, so I may only be planting around 1200 vines instead of 1700.

Got all my PVC pipes, valves, fittings,and drip tubing speced and on order. As soon as it arrives I'll start building a 900 foot PVC mainline with a couple of miles worth of PVC skeleton and drip lines. I picked a bad weekend to quit sniffing glue.

Water is king here and I am very glad my water rights are senior due to my well and are not tied to an irrigation district. Junior water users in Yakima irrigation districts are currently granted 73% share for 2015. No snowpack could mean smaller fruit/hops crops. Some users where I live are on the Yakima/Tieton irrigation system, at 100+ year old, one of the oldest in the west. It cost a $1,000,000 to build in 1906 dollars. http://www.yakimaherald.com/home/2972213-8/yakima-basin-water-forecast-full-supply-for-senior

We attended a very interesting seminar in Yakima last Saturday on, coincidentally, Backyard Vineyard management. The instructor was a friend, Neil Garrison, of Steppe Cellars. He designed the class based on a "10-gallon vineyard" about 27 plants, and 1-100 foot row. Learned tons about trellising, vine training, pruning, watering regimen, frost protection, etc... even learned the difference between shoot thinning and suckering (they are essentially the same thing). Also met a neighbor, about a mile from us as the crow flies, who is considering planting some for home winemaking next year.

Right now we are targeting week of April 13-17 for planting.

Roughly 6.30 lbs of grapes per plant. Around here the grapes typically/easily carry 12-15 lbs per plant. Lots to learn about growing the vines...and hands on experience is the best. Visualizing 6 lbs of grapes hanging on the vine doesn't come from reading any books.

Post #: 74
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/10/2015 7:00:09 PM   
champagneinhand

I was lucky to get the small number of Riesling vines I requested. Most vines are sold out until 2016. My rootstocks will probably be smaller than I bought in the past from grafted grapevine nursery but they are such a short drive for me I was happy to get any. When I bought before I was surprised to see how small the piece is on top of the grapher root. I don't expect any fruit from them this year but they won't go into the ground until after May 1st.

As far as weeds, I don't mind clover as ground cover, but birds love to sit on the wires and they fe d off the roadside sawtooth grasses, so those noxious things are always growing up which need to be hand pulled. The clover and basic turf grasses keep the soil where it should be. The rabbits like the clover so I need to shoo them away. They carry fleas and such and with deer and ticks I just don't want more critters than I already have.

As for organic requirements for no sulfur, that's insane. I would never do that. Wine sulphur is a must. If you have birds then you could easily get a spec of fecal matter even being extra cautious. I always pre-inoculate before adding my chosen strain of yeast. I've enjoyed both White Liquid yeasts and Lavlin. I've had mixed results with Red Ball but their stuff is good if the must gets stuck.

Bummer about the Mouvedre. I just saw FM Coloboration series 6 for 2012 and am looking forward to ordering a few bottles of that blend. 55% Mouvedre with 28% Syrah and the remainder Grenache sounds great. Like you I will be doing almost all Blanc grapes with some Gris. My Backyard Blanc is always in flux. I'm thinking of naming my stuff The opposable thumbs wine company. It's just house stuff for now but I can use that as a front label for my crush wines to keep track of the barrel stuff in the basement. No room in the cellar for homegrown right now and usually I just use it for cooking. This years batch should be quite good for drinking so labels are a must.

Glad to see such fun things going on in the Yak. Plenty of interesting stuff happening in the lakes here but with 2 devastating Winteres in a row there will be more vineyards on the auction blocks and plenty of outsiders interested to grab them up. It's weird thinking of myself as a transplant but I've bo lived longer in this house than any other in my entire life. I will have at least 21 vines this year but may be as high as 24 if some transplants go according to plan.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 75
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/10/2015 8:10:15 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Roughly 6.30 lbs of grapes per plant. Around here the grapes typically/easily carry 12-15 lbs per plant. Lots to learn about growing the vines...and hands on experience is the best. Visualizing 6 lbs of grapes hanging on the vine doesn't come from reading any books.
Yeah, when I told my friend at work about those yields he was aghast.  He has a ~ 1/5 acre vineyard and last year got ~3000 pounds.  7-8 tons/acre.  He said he only prunes once and just finished for this year. The instructor emphasized/preached deficit irrigation at, even before veraison, and pruning out "too much" fruit.  Not sure any of that should matter for a home winemaker, but for concentrating energy and sugar to make typical concentrated WA wines that hankj hates,  that is what they do.

Last Sunday we had a "meeting" where we met Abraham, who manages the crews for Phil.  We discussed what and where and how and when.  Funny comment when discussing Pinot Noir, Abraham kinda raised his eyebrows when he heard we were planting Pinot.  Phil said "how do you know?"  Abraham said he had a vine or two planted at his house, along with many other varietie to see how they'd do.  He lives very close to me.  He said his Pinot never got above 20-22 Brix, not good for WA wine grapes.  I smiled inside thinking about the AFWE Pinot lovers.   I'm not saying I'll make anything as good as Oregon or the b word, but it will be fun to see what it makes.  There is some Pinot growing in Yakima Valley, even Walla Walla Valley, just tiny amounts.  Which is what I'll have too.

cih, yeah I love the FM VI, probably the only one I'll buy this time.  Their Mourvedre sites on Red Mountain get on average 3000+ GDD, my site will average in low 2000's.  (2014 everything got ripe everywhere in WA, Naches Heights hit 2845 GDD).   I can buy some from Wahluke or Snipes (cheaper than Red Mountain) if I want to try some.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 3/10/2015 8:33:47 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 76
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/11/2015 5:25:53 PM   
khmark7

quote:

quote:

Yeah, when I told my friend at work about those yields he was aghast.  He has a ~ 1/5 acre vineyard and last year got ~3000 pounds.  7-8 tons/acre.  He said he only prunes once and just finished for this year. The instructor emphasized/preached deficit irrigation at, even before veraison, and pruning out "too much" fruit.  Not sure any of that should matter for a home winemaker, but for concentrating energy and sugar to make typical concentrated WA wines that hankj hates,  that is what they do.

Last Sunday we had a "meeting" where we met Abraham, who manages the crews for Phil.  We discussed what and where and how and when.  Funny comment when discussing Pinot Noir, Abraham kinda raised his eyebrows when he heard we were planting Pinot.  Phil said "how do you know?"  Abraham said he had a vine or two planted at his house, along with many other varietie to see how they'd do.  He lives very close to me.  He said his Pinot never got above 20-22 Brix, not good for WA wine grapes.  I smiled inside thinking about the AFWE Pinot lovers.   I'm not saying I'll make anything as good as Oregon or the b word, but it will be fun to see what it makes.  There is some Pinot growing in Yakima Valley, even Walla Walla Valley, just tiny amounts.  Which is what I'll have too.

cih, yeah I love the FM VI, probably the only one I'll buy this time.  Their Mourvedre sites on Red Mountain get on average 3000+ GDD, my site will average in low 2000's.  (2014 everything got ripe everywhere in WA, Naches Heights hit 2845 GDD).   I can buy some from Wahluke or Snipes (cheaper than Red Mountain) if I want to try some.

7-8 tons/acre of vinifera fruit? ewwwww... Some newer grape varieties & hybrids can produce high yields and still ripen the fruit, but even they reduce yields to improve quality. Quality is difficult because it's hard, emotionally challenging to cut off all those shoots & grape clusters so that those remaining are high quality. Considering that each bud will give you 3 shoots, of which 2 will bear fruit you can see why you may need to prune throughout the season.

Having control of water is a nice benefit. Living in the Midwest you are at the whims of mother nature with random thunderstorms & flooding rains, sometimes in August & September when the ripe grapes easily split.

Post #: 77
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/11/2015 5:29:39 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

Wait Listed.

Hahahahahaaaaa for a second my mind flashed on "He's waitlisted for his own wine...?"

I'm about ten years less too old for planting than DsGris, but still want to get out there and see you sometime.

Post #: 78
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/13/2015 4:04:02 PM   
mclancy10006

This is interesting enough to get me to hunt for my facebook account credentials and follow it!

Best of luck Chris this is very exciting!

-Mark

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 79
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/14/2015 4:57:26 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

We conducted some interviews today at Tieton Creamery. It is impossible to see in this photo, but with the naked eye I could find our future vineyard on the far hillside in the background of this first photo.

This is actually a sheep/lamb and if the fence and shed had been completed at our house, this guy would have come home with us today. Our plan is 2 goats, 1 sheep, all neutered males to start. Best for our purposes according to Ruth, their current mom. (That is Mrs. Goat Rocks in this photo)

(in reply to atlantean)
Post #: 80
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/14/2015 6:13:49 PM   
Sourdough

Awww......

Cute!

Wish I had had your weeding crew in San Antonio... I might have been able to beat the varmints and had some grapes. (Is there such a thing as an attack goat that will take on black squirrels?)

Love what you are doing, Chris! Look forward to meeting you on a trip west!

Post #: 81
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/18/2015 9:07:25 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

The latest addition to Goat Rocks Wine, Egg, and Cheese Co-op. Oy

(in reply to atlantean)
Post #: 82
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/18/2015 9:58:05 AM   
musedir

(Shaking my head)

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 83
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/22/2015 5:03:26 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Irrigation system almost ready! We "found" (hit with the hoe bucket) a live 2" water main during the trenching and T'eed off of that saving ~300 feet of 2" pipe, so about 280 feet UP with 2" to a filter, then back down via gravity in 1 1/2" halfway, then 1 1/4" to 3/4" risers. 44 vineyard rows, plus two landscape beds, 46 valved stand pipes in total, three different isolation valves on the main line, one at the bottom of the hill for easy off/on, one at the filter at top, and one underground that will be used to winterize the system. I highly recommend the Christy's Blue PVC glue that has primer mixed in, so only one step per connection. Saves a lot of time over ~500 joints. Some backfill dirt to get the level of the risers correct, ~6" above the finished dirt elevation, then final backfill, and we're ready to plant. Drip tube is on site, 9500 feet, and will be installed while planting to get water on the vines immediately. Chiva supervised the whole install.

(in reply to atlantean)
Post #: 84
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/22/2015 5:08:51 PM   
musedir

A fine winery dog.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 85
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/22/2015 5:28:40 PM   
recotte

That's a serendipitous find, Chris!

I'm a little jealous that my weekend hasn't included any heavy equipment....

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 86
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/22/2015 5:32:54 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

I'm a little jealous that my weekend hasn't included any heavy equipment....

That's what she said.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 87
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/22/2015 7:15:47 PM   
Sourdough

Ah, Chris, there is something about PVC pipe that really seems to appeal to ChEs!

I am willing to guess that Chiva has a degree in digging Clearly a good choice for overseeing and inspecting the excavation!

< Message edited by Sourdough -- 3/23/2015 7:03:13 AM >

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 88
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/22/2015 8:22:42 PM   
MindMuse

I didn't understand a word you said, but I'm pretty darn suspicious it sounds like work, and that you're going to have a drink a lot of somebody else's wine for the time being.

Me too, for that matter...

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Post #: 89
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! - 3/23/2015 8:53:50 PM   
skifree

As a west sider, two comments come to mind:

1) Chiva looks very satisfied. She knows when a job is well done.

2) You dug down that far and there are NO ROCKS! Where I live you hit the first rock at 3 inches. Ah, terroir. Vive le difference.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - It Begins! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI